SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

15 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely a high compete level from Hain. Love that.

I noticed Mattson a couple times, particularly in space and on a nice backdoor pass that nearly lead to a goal, but I also noticed a bit of a coast sometimes on the back check and in the defensive zone. I was drooling over his size and the combo of his mobility and hands. Poolman will put 15 lbs of weight on that kid and make him an absolute beast.

I definitely noticed Mattson last night he is really skilled and solid skater too. He showed some physical play and willing to go along the walls and he will become better at those things as he adds more strength. He looked to play more of a playmaker role last night compared to other times I've seen him where he has been more aggressive driving the net and getting shots on net.

Have heard from a couple people and now also read a couple different places that Mattson has been playing with an injury this week. The people that told me about just said he suffered a hand injury against Duluth East but I've read on a couple different sites that say he had to get 12 stiches in his hand after the section final.

1 hour ago, AZSIOUX said:

Cole Smith commits to und 

6'3 190 forward 

Coles Twitter- Excited to announce my commitment to play hockey at the University of North Dakota!

seems like an older player who was in the mjhl

Smith

Was on campus visiting this weekend as well. 

2 hours ago, AZSIOUX said:

Cole Smith commits to und 

6'3 190 forward 

Coles Twitter- Excited to announce my commitment to play hockey at the University of North Dakota!

seems like an older player who was in the mjhl

Smith

Looks like he played his high school hockey at Brainerd can't say I really remember him too much but I only saw a couple Brainerd games when he would have been there. Seems like he has good size and will probably be a depth guy.

Mittelstadt had just lost the biggest game of his life I'm not gonna blame him for being upset and taking the medal off its just not a big deal to me at all. People can complain all they want about him taking his medal off and if he is a bad sport or not but the bottom line is any program in the country would be happy to have him.  

4 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Mittelstadt had just lost the biggest game of his life I'm not gonna blame him for being upset and taking the medal off is not a big deal to me at all. People can complain all they want about him taking his medal off and if he is a bad sport or not but the bottom line is any program in the country would be happy to have him.  

He is definitely a hockey talent. Don't think that was ever in question....

11 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

He is definitely a hockey talent. Don't think that was ever in question....

Not at all, I just think it is tough to judge a kids character at all right after losing the biggest game he has played in. He did post a nice note on Twitter a couple hours after the game thanking his seniors, support his team had, and the usual stuff like that but made sure to include a congratulations to Wayzata in it and that they deserved to win which he didn't need to include at all. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Not at all, I just think it is tough to judge a kids character at all right after losing the biggest game he has played in. He did post a nice note on Twitter a couple hours after the game thanking his seniors, support his team had, and the usual stuff like that but made sure to include a congratulations to Wayzata in it and that they deserved to win which he didn't need to include at all. 

looks like a "goodbye" note. 

As others stated, his hockey ability is without question as we are talking about a kid that could be a top ten pick in the 2017 NHL draft. Losing in the title game is adversity. Taking off your second place medal is not the best way to deal with that adversity. No one likes to lose in that moment. Seems to be a trend lately though after watching the last couple of MN state hoops tourneys and now this. First time I guess I've seen it done in hockey. 

17 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

looks like a "goodbye" note. 

As others stated, his hockey ability is without question as we are talking about a kid that could be a top ten pick in the 2017 NHL draft. Losing in the title game is adversity. Taking off your second place medal is not the best way to deal with that adversity. No one likes to lose in that moment. Seems to be a trend lately though after watching the last couple of MN state hoops tourneys and now this. First time I guess I've seen it done in hockey. 

It is definitely a possibility, I know he was trying to accelerate his studies to be able to play at Minnesota next season.

2 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Mittelstadt had just lost the biggest game of his life I'm not gonna blame him for being upset and taking the medal off its just not a big deal to me at all. People can complain all they want about him taking his medal off and if he is a bad sport or not but the bottom line is any program in the country would be happy to have him.  

Also, my bad, I forgot to add a ;) emoticon to my post. It was mostly a tongue in cheek comment, poking fun of the Gopher program archetype.

4 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Situations like that are exactly when you judge someone's character. 

2 minutes ago, homer said:

Situations like that are exactly when you judge someone's character. 

Not really. Some people are just bad losers. It's not a reflection of character at all. I'd rather have a bunch of bad losers on my team than a group of guys that show hardly any emotion after losing big games. Also these are high school kids. Can't pretend that they're 50 year olds with tons of life experience to put perspective on situations like that.

• Upvote 2

Poking fun at the Gophers is fun and all, but is it worth doing it at the expense of a high schooler? Are we really going to judge a 17 year old for holding his 2nd place medal and being disappointed after losing the most important game in his life up to that point? I'm sure he will never see this but come on. It's a high emotion situation and you never know how you are going to react until you are in it.

I know I handled finishing 2nd in state my senior year very poorly, much worse than my junior year. I'm sure that was one of the most miserable times of his life. I know it was for me. I can't speak for him, but I'm sure glad I don't have any adults questioning my character on the internet for the way I reacted as a heartbroken teenager.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Not really. Some people are just bad losers. It's not a reflection of character at all. I'd rather have a bunch of bad losers on my team than a group of guys that show hardly any emotion after losing big games. Also these are high school kids. Can't pretend that they're 50 year olds with tons of life experience to put perspective on situations like that.

Being a bad loser when people are watching is not a strong quality.  

• Downvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits