SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3932809-und-hockey-hain-commits-und

Hain chose UND over the University of Minnesota and Minnesota Duluth. He made visits to all three schools.

So is this where Gopher fans chime in with the "We didn't want him anyway" sour grapes excuse?

Man, I miss being in the same conference with them; it was so much more fun.

14 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3932809-und-hockey-hain-commits-und

So is this where Gopher fans chime in with the "We didn't want him anyway" sour grapes excuse?

Man, I miss being in the same conference with them; it was so much more fun.

They will say the same thing on their GPL podcast.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:46 AM, siouxfan512 said:

So who all is slated to come in next year?

That is always the question.  My best guess is that in addition to the 4 senior forwards we will lose in Caggiula, Chyzyk, Sanderson, and St. Clair we will also see Schmaltz turn pro.  We will not graduate anyone on defense but I would assume we see at least 3 turn pro.  So, by my projection, we will need to replace 5 forwards and 3 defense.

Forwards - Jost, Hoff, Yon, Adams, and Bowen (or possibly a recruit not yet committed)

Defense - Poolman, Evers, Johnson / Bast.  (Gabe Bast has been injured for most of the year so he might play another year of junior)

10 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

That is always the question.  My best guess is that in addition to the 4 senior forwards we will lose in Caggiula, Chyzyk, Sanderson, and St. Clair we will also see Schmaltz turn pro.  We will not graduate anyone on defense but I would assume we see at least 3 turn pro.  So, by my projection, we will need to replace 5 forwards and 3 defense.

Forwards - Jost, Hoff, Yon, Adams, and Bowen (or possibly a recruit not yet committed)

Defense - Poolman, Evers, Johnson / Bast.  (Gabe Bast has been injured for most of the year so he might play another year of junior)

I think Keane could be an option as well. Between him and Adams they could both play another year of juniors. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Gornall type of commit that came about late either

26 minutes ago, jjensen said:

I think Keane could be an option as well. Between him and Adams they could both play another year of juniors. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Gornall type of commit that came about late either

Keane and Bowen desperately need another year of juniors, at least judging by what they've done so far this year.  Things can change though. I think Berry will get some other kids in.  I am still crossing my fingers that we don't lose all the dmen we think we are.

• Upvote 1

Losses

F-Caggiula, Chyzyk, Sanderson, and St. Clair to Graduation, Schmaltz to NHL/AHL

D-Stecher, LaDue, and Poolman to NHL/AHL

So if the # of player's remains the same, 5 forwards will need to be replaced, and 3 D.

F-Jost, Hoff, Yon, Cakebread, and Mattson (if drafted in the 2nd round, will probably come in as true freshman).  Sanderson is essentially a walk-on type player, so he could be replaced with a similar player (older, junior veteran), or Cakebread could be deemed this type at this point.

D-Poolman, Evers, Kiersted/Johnson/Bast/Peski

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:46 AM, siouxfan512 said:

So who all is slated to come in next year?

My guess would be F-Jost, Hoff, Yon, 1 or 2 of Bowen, Mattson(draft position could play a role), Adams, and Keane. The defensemen situation is a little harder because 4 of the defensemen had contract offers last season so you could see anywhere from 1-4 leave and it wouldn't be all that big of surprise. I'll say Evers, Bast, and Poolman come in.

10 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

My guess would be F-Jost, Hoff, Yon, 1 or 2 of Bowen, Mattson(draft position could play a role), Adams, and Keane. The defensemen situation is a little harder because 4 of the defensemen had contract offers last season so you could see anywhere from 1-4 leave and it wouldn't be all that big of surprise. I'll say Evers, Bast, and Poolman come in.

Since Poolman is older, it might be a pipe dream, but would be nice if they had a Poolman family reunion at UND next year.  Probably doesn't help the Jets will miss the playoffs this year and will be looking for immediate help with Poolman plus Connor from Michigan.

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Since Poolman is older, it might be a pipe dream, but would be nice if they had a Poolman family reunion at UND next year.  Probably doesn't help the Jets will miss the playoffs this year and will be looking for immediate help with Poolman plus Connor from Michigan.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see both Poolman's at UND next season. No inside information or anything I just think it could happen as I believe it would be the first time the 2 would get to play on the same team. The Jets tried to sign Poolman last year and I'm sure they will come after him again it will just come down to what Tucker wants to do.

Last year Thompson, LaDue, Poolman, all had offers to go pro. I am expecting Thompson and LaDue to be gone for sure. I think Ausmus stays along with freshmen Shaw and Wolanin. The question marks are Stecher and Poolman. I'm hoping Poolman stays to play with his brother similar to Jordan Schmaltz. I have no idea on Stecher.

I see Nick Schmaltz leaving for sure. Boeser is a question mark. Usually freshman forwards come in and need to get stronger like Nick did last year. But Brock is already there. I can see him going pro after one year but hope he learns from Toews and Parise and stays for two years so he can go directly to the NHL rather than sitting in the AHL.

1 minute ago, Stack said:

Last year Thompson, LaDue, Poolman, all had offers to go pro. I am expecting Thompson and LaDue to be gone for sure. I think Ausmus stays along with freshmen Shaw and Wolanin. The question marks are Stecher and Poolman. I'm hoping Poolman stays to play with his brother similar to Jordan Schmaltz. I have no idea on Stecher.

I see Nick Schmaltz leaving for sure. Boeser is a question mark. Usually freshman forwards come in and need to get stronger like Nick did last year. But Brock is already there. I can see him going pro after one year but hope he learns from Toews and Parise and stays for two years so he can go directly to the NHL rather than sitting in the AHL.

Brock needs to become a much better skater if he ever wants to play in the NHL. I think Nick could use another year to develop his strength and his shot.

6 minutes ago, Stack said:

I expect LaDue, Stecher and Schmaltz to turn pro for sure.  Thompson is UND's clear cut #5 dman, he has all of the physical skills, just too many turnovers and dumb decisions still.  Ausmus is close but I think he stays another year.

Boeser is an extremely smart player and as we all know, possesses an unbelievable shot.  The one thing that is potentially holding him back from stepping into the NHL is his skating.  His skating will take some time, and the best place to develop and improve on something like that is in college, which allows for substantially more practice and development time than pro.  Because of this, I think he stays one more year after this, plays about 30 games in the AHL in 17-18 and then becomes a full time NHLer after that.