SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

^That's great to read about Grimaldi, but I am tiring of reading about all these offensive prodigies who come to UND and turn out to be 10-goal-a-year scorers.

I long for a 30-goal year from someone.

Never fear, my friend, Frattin is on pace!

If memory serves me, we've only had two 30 goal men this decade in Bochenski and Duncs...Frats would be #3 and you know what they say about the thied time...

^That's great to read about Grimaldi, but I am tiring of reading about all these offensive prodigies who come to UND and turn out to be 10-goal-a-year scorers.

I long for a 30-goal year from someone.

That is pretty much the story for every college hockey team. With the exception of a few guys who were brought in because of their talent for playing physically (Malone, Mario, Rodwell) most forwards on UND and throughout college hockey were big scorers throughout their high school and junior careers. Of that big group, only so many are put in scoring roles in college, and even then it's so hard to score at the college level. I would guess in the WCHA it's even harder, given the style of play. Seeing Heavy Metal Hockey played during intermission this weekend was a reminder that goaltending has changed much more than any aspect of the sport since the glory days.

All that said, you may get your 30-goal man this year.

FUTURE COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#180) - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

DANNY MATTSON - F - Chicago - USHL - 11' (undrafted)

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11' - Drafted 5th Rd. (#149) - PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#156) - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' / 12' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#165) - BOSTON BRUINS

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' (2011 Draft Prospect)

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 4th Rd. (#113) - MONTREAL CANADIENS

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - (2011 draft prospepct)

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13'

MILES KOULES - F - US U17 / 12' - 13'

JORDAN SCHMALTZ - D - Sioux City - USHL - 12'

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11' / 12' - (2011 Draft Prospect)

STEPHAN MATTEAU - F - USNDPT 17 - 12'

CHARLIE PELNIK - D - Carolina Junior Hurricanes AAA - 13'

macmillin and odonnell 2 points each this last week in loss.

friday

n mattson 1a in win and grimaldi 1g in loss

matteau 1g in win, knoules made his shootout attempt goal

schmaltz 1g in loss to gothberg who got win for fargo stopping 19 of 21.

neither st clair or danny mattson were in the lineup for fargo and chicago

odonnell 1g and macmillin 2a so far through 2 periods for vees

Watched the Fargo Force beat Sioux City Musketeers last night. Gothberg is goal for the force looked good. Schmaltz looked good, got a nice power play goal, the first thing I noticed was smallish legs, so he may need to put on some weight. Colton Sinclair and Chad Demers were both injury scratches. Pretty good game, Force opened it up in the second and Sioux City couldn't keep up. Smallish crowd, 2888. With a UND game going on and weather in the area not a bad showing. nice arena.

Rick

N.C. Native Commits to Sioux - GF Herald article on Pelnik

Pelnik, a 15-year-old standout from Cary, N.C., made visits to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Michigan, Boston University, Merrimack and Northeastern before deciding to commit to UND last week.

The coaches are definitely the biggest deciding factor on why I chose North Dakota, Pelnik said. They are hands down just great, great coaches and great people. They were great players and I think Im going to learn a lot from them.

He made his visit to UND over Thanksgiving weekend when the Sioux hosted Notre Dame.

The atmosphere was unbelievable, he said. The fact that they sold out even with the students not in school at the time. . . that was great.

O'Donnell - 2 assists in 4 -1 win on Wednesday night

MacMillan= 1 g, 2 a in 3-1 win on Wednesday night

They are on the top line together and their line had a combined 7 points last night. It will be interesting if Hak keeps them together next year as they seem to have developed some nice chemistry.

ā€œThe atmosphere was unbelievable,ā€ he said. ā€œThe fact that they sold out even with the students not in school at the time. . . that was great.ā€

Amazing, and one certain poster here said it sounded totally dead on TV, presumably due to all the old geezers/fogeys/farts buying the tickets.

Amazing, and one certain poster here said it sounded totally dead on TV, presumably due to all the old geezers/fogeys/farts buying the tickets.

come on, didn't you know that it can only be a great atmosphere if everyone is 3 sheets to the wind and screaming obscenities :silly: although i will admit there were times early in the new ralph that it was pretty quiet, i guess we just ignore the fact that coaches and players (ours and opposing) say that this is one of the toughest barns to play in the last few seasons, in part to the fan support. i think our fans are passionate and knowledgeable, that doesn't mean we have to be screaming obscenities and throwing beer on people.

come on, didn't you know that it can only be a great atmosphere if everyone is 3 sheets to the wind and screaming obscenities :silly: although i will admit there were times early in the new ralph that it was pretty quiet, i guess we just ignore the fact that coaches and players (ours and opposing) say that this is one of the toughest barns to play in the last few seasons, in part to the fan support. i think our fans are passionate and knowledgeable, that doesn't mean we have to be screaming obscenities and throwing beer on people.

I've said the same thing several times. Opposing coaches and players, plus potential recruits, constantly talk about how great the atmosphere is in the building. They look forward to the building itself and look forward to the atmosphere and the crowd. Yet there are people on this board and in the Grand Forks area that talk about how weak it is. One group or the other has to be wrong. I will believe the incoming recruits that see several of the top places around the country.

I've said the same thing several times. Opposing coaches and players, plus potential recruits, constantly talk about how great the atmosphere is in the building. They look forward to the building itself and look forward to the atmosphere and the crowd. Yet there are people on this board and in the Grand Forks area that talk about how weak it is. One group or the other has to be wrong. I will believe the incoming recruits that see several of the top places around the country.

I've been to every rink in this league except the Colorado rinks and Alaska Anchorage. Compared to the other arenas, I think we have a great atmosphere. In my opinion, what makes a great atmosphere are not 10,000 people spelling out their states name in unison like a kindergarten class (Minnesota) or a group of students jumping around in circles and clapping their hands (Wisconsin), but more the level of noise in the arena. We have one of the loudest arenas in the league, and when you mix that in with a good band and the great job REA does with the lighting and the music, it makes for one of the best atmospheres in the country.

I've been to every rink in this league except the Colorado rinks and Alaska Anchorage. Compared to the other arenas, I think we have a great atmosphere. In my opinion, what makes a great atmosphere are not 10,000 people spelling out their states name in unison like a kindergarten class (Minnesota) or a group of students jumping around in circles and clapping their hands (Wisconsin), but more the level of noise in the arena. We have one of the loudest arenas in the league, and when you mix that in with a good band and the great job REA does with the lighting and the music, it makes for one of the best atmospheres in the country.

I concur...