SiouxSports.com Forum

2010-2011 Season

dakotadan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like UND finished 2nd in regular season attendance, with Wisconsin winning by a wide margin.

Avg Attendance:

UW 2935

UND 1338

UMD 874

UMn 871

If Duluth had played in Amsoil Arena the entire year, they probably would have finished above UND.

Is that for nation as well? I'm sure that number will only get bigger. Anyone know if the UW numbers are legit or some sort of ticket season packages sold?

Is that for nation as well? I'm sure that number will only get bigger. Anyone know if the UW numbers are legit or some sort of ticket season packages sold?

I believe those would be the leaders for all DI women's hockey. The eastern schools just don't attract many fans. (BC under 200, Mercyhurst under 350).

Wisconsin had an actual crowd from a major promotion of 10,668 in a game vs Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. That was a single game record for women's hockey ever in the US.

The NCAA-record crowd of 10,668 that came to see the top-ranked University of Wisconsin women's hockey team topple Minnesota 3-1 last Saturday at the Kohl Center begs for some perspective.

Wisconsin's record single game crowd for women's hockey

I believe those would be the leaders for all DI women's hockey. The eastern schools just don't attract many fans. (BC under 200, Mercyhurst under 350).

Wisconsin had an actual crowd from a major promotion of 10,668 in a game vs Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. That was a single game record for women's hockey ever in the US.

Wisconsin's record single game crowd for women's hockey

Now thats impressive turnout for mens ice hockey, but for womens! Wow. Someday, we'll see a game like that at the Ralph for the ladies, it will take 2-3+ years of great promotion and good teams in order to get there.

Lamoureux twins named to WCHA second team, Berg all-rookie team

WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Lamoureuxs second team all-WCHA; Berg all-rookie - GF Herald

Jocelyne is a second team forward. She finished third in the league in points per game in the WCHA with 47 points in 25 league games.

Monique is a second team defenseman. She finished first among defensemen with 41 points in 25 league games.

Don't get me wrong...being named to the WCHA Second Team is still an honor but somehow I doubt the twins are satisfied with their selection.

#17 Jocelyne Lamoureux

Before UND: Played for the University of Minnesota ... First-team All-WCHA and WCHA All-Rookie team honoree ... Scored 28 goals and 37 assists for 65 points ... Ranked 11th in the nation in points per game (1.62), ninth in assists per game (0.93) and 15th overall in goals per game (0.70)

#18 Monique Lamoureux-Kolls

Before UND: Played for the University of Minnesota ... Patty Kazmaier top-10 finalist ... Second-team All-American ... First-team All-WCHA and WCHA All-Rookie Team honoree ... Scored 39 goals and 36 assists for 75 points ... WCHA scoring champion with 61 points in conference play ... Led every scoring category with in conference play with 61 points, 30 goals and 31 assists ... Ranked fifth in the nation in points per game (1.88), fourth in goals per game (0.97) and 11th in assists per game (0.93)

I foresee a strong effort from the twins against the Badgers.

GO SIOUX

Hard to argue against the 3 high-scoring Wisconsin forwards averaging over 2 PPG, I thought Monique might slip in as a first team defender but Larocque from UMD was the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year and Schleper from Minnesota is a repeat selection so apparently they favored true defenders more than a hybrid like Monique. Seems fair enough although I'm sure we didn't get any love on the UM ballot.

I'd expect them both to be first team next year, this should put a little more coal on the fire.

I would guess some voters (especially UM) "punished" the twins for transferring. They should be "over it " by next year. Very disappointing but not surprising - to me, at least!!

If you knew Brad Frost and his staff you'd realize there's no way any of them would be that petty. Frost would only vote for players based on their merits. He's a guy with nothing but the utmost integrity. Besides the fact he holds no ill will towards the twins. If a player doesn't want to be part of his team and wants to move on, he's accepting of their decision.

If you knew Brad Frost and his staff you'd realize there's no way any of them would be that petty. Frost would only vote for players based on their merits. He's a guy with nothing but the utmost integrity. Besides the fact he holds no ill will towards the twins. If a player doesn't want to be part of his team and wants to move on, he's accepting of their decision.

Sorry I couldn't hear that over all the boos at Ridder.

The UM staff may not hold any ill will, but others do and that could be a misconception by fans in our fan base. Seriously, it's not like the Twins transferring really affected the Gophers in a negative way. That said, of course the Wisco forwards on the 1st team have over 70 points.... they've lost 2 games all year.

I would guess some voters (especially UM) "punished" the twins for transferring. They should be "over it " by next year. Very disappointing but not surprising - to me, at least!!

This reminds me of when standout nosetackle Mark Callahan, who helped the football program get over the hump in the mid-1990's, got second and third teamed to death when it came to All-American selections. In my opinion, he should have been a first-team All-American every single year he was at UND, period. But these rankings are secondary to team success and the twins would tell you that themselves. What a bright future this program has!

Sorry I couldn't hear that over all the boos at Ridder.

The UM staff may not hold any ill will, but others do and that could be a misconception by fans in our fan base.

May be true, but those others don't have any input on WCHA recognitions, so it's not really accurate to imply it's a matter of "being punished." The twins aren't the only players that perhaps don't / didn't get the recognition they're due when it comes to WCHA post season awards. I'm pretty sure there is an attempt to spread the wealth and with the number of excellent players in the conference, quite a few aren't going to get recognized as they probably deserve. Minnesota had the top three scoring freshmen in the conference, but the third highest scoring frosh behind the top two gets boned out of the All Rookie team in favor of a lower scoring frosh from a different team.

Although the Sioux women deserve to be in this year's tournament, they had a great season and have added a lot to their fan base this year. Next year should be great (judging by the recruits they have coming in - if they can clear the NCAA's clearinghouse) with their returning players. Great season ladies!

Although the Sioux women deserve to be in this year's tournament, they had a great season and have added a lot to their fan base this year. Next year should be great (judging by the recruits they have coming in - if they can clear the NCAA's clearinghouse) with their returning players. Great season ladies!

Yes. This program made huge strides this year, and is poised to succeed in the future.

Disappointing not to make the tourney field, but they accomplished a lot.

Once Dartmouth beat Harvard in the ECAC semis, this was pretty much set, can't say I'm too surprised. However, UMD really got hosed, and all three WCHA teams are in one half of the bracket.

Looking to next year, I hope the Sioux can get several top eastern teams on the schedule to boost their chances. Maybe even partner with Duluth to alternate a tourney to bring in Cornell, Darmouth, Mercyhurst, etc. Single games are better than series as well, to get a greater diversity in opponents.

So, UND would have won the comparison with Dartmouth with an additional .002 in RPI. What really jumps out at me looking at the women's RPI is how many teams have games thrown out for being negative wins. By the end of the men's season, there are usually only 3 or 4. In women's, 11 of the top 12 (everyone but North Dakota) have wins thrown out for being negative.

What's particularly annoying about this is that Dartmouth had only a slightly better win% (22-11-0 .6667 vs. 20-13-3 .5972), but since UND played the 2nd toughest schedule and Dartmouth the 21st, Dartmouth had "negative wins" thrown out. Without throwing out the negative wins, UND wins the RPI and the comparison and gets the nod. It's not immediately apparent to me how the unusual RPI weighting (30-24-46) plays into this, but it is really quite odd.

Well, the Field is set.

Wisconsin hosts Duluth

Boston College hosts the Gophers

Boston University hosts Mercyhurst

and finally, Cornell hosts Dartmouth

I have no words for how badly this stinks.

Its interesting to note how many of those teams the Sioux women have beaten this year. Definitely disappointing.