SiouxSports.com Forum

Game over.

MattC

Ill tell u one thing, the indians wont be getting the free dish and the masters degrees handed to them at UND anymore!

Your comment is embarrassing. I'm a nickname supporter and your comment is embarrassing.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:silly: I am in SHOCK....over the news that the Fighting Sioux has been retired. I will ALWAYS BE A FIGHTING SIOUX FAN, I will ALWAYS WEAR MY FIGHTING SIOUX APPAREL, I have two SIOUX tattoos forever on my leg. THEY will not take any of that away from me. The whole thing is ridiculous....A VERY SAD TIME IN SIOUXLAND. It is what happens when the President AND the AD have no heart or love for the school, students, or alumni. They have NO vested interest in the state and of tradition and history. Thomas Clifford would be very sad.

This is the part that bothers me from the Herald article:

"We didn't have the votes on the motion to reconsider," board member Grant Shaft of Grand Forks said.

He and board member Duaine Espegard, also of Grand Forks, said they had calculated such a vote would fail on a 4-4 tie.

"I am a longtime Grand Forks kid so I find it kind of sad," Shaft said of today's decision.

Espegard agreed. "I think it is a sad day," he said. "I don't look at it as a win for anybody. I see it as reality."

My opinion: Make the board members vote. Don't calculate votes based on how you "think" people will vote on the motion. Make the board members put their vote on paper for the public to see. Never assume.

Kelley said the board's action today was not a surprise.

"It is a matter now of managing a transition," he said.

"I am happy to have a new set of problems to solve," he said.

"This is going to be a new set of challenges, and it is going to be hard work for everybody."

My opinion: Why does our president continually sound excited and happy about the name being changed? Especially the quote that I highlighted above. Just mind-boggling.

And he's supposed to be educated. Apparently he forgot to take public speaking 101. Or maybe the old-saying "Think Before You Speak." Either he's dumb and not thinking, or arrogant and doesn't care.

"We didn't have the votes on the motion to reconsider," board member Grant Shaft of Grand Forks said.

He and board member Duaine Espegard, also of Grand Forks, said they had calculated such a vote would fail on a 4-4 tie.

"I am a longtime Grand Forks kid so I find it kind of sad," Shaft said of today's decision.

Espegard agreed. "I think it is a sad day," he said. "I don't look at it as a win for anybody. I see it as reality."

My opinion: Make the board members vote. Don't calculate votes based on how you "think" people will vote on the motion. Make the board members put their vote on paper for the public to see. Never assume.

"This is going to be a new set of challenges, and it is going to be hard work for everybody."

My opinion: Why does our president continually sound excited and happy about the name being changed? Especially the quote that I highlighted above. Just mind-boggling.

And he's supposed to be educated. Apparently he forgot to take public speaking 101. Or maybe the old-saying "Think Before You Speak." Either he's dumb and not thinking, or arrogant and doesn't care.

Sadly because it makes his job ALOT easier thats why

PHEW!

I say that puts some money back in my pockets.

Good luck with the new nickname. I'll still support whatever hockey.

the SBoHE is a joke and they proved it today.

Oh well.

Now we sit back and watch Kelley lose a MAJORITY of alumni support.

My guess is that he doesn't last 2 years.

No, the nickname is permanently gone. We all knew that a long time ago. But now, the new set of challenges is right. Dr. Kelley has to try to find a way to rebuild UND alumni support when he was the spearhead (or attributed as such as it may) to destroying it.

Impossible feat.

I wonder who the new Dean will be.

I am 63 years old, born and raised in GF, graduated from UND and attended Sioux games since 1952, and other than the death of my mother, father, and brother, this is the saddest day of my life. The Native Americans in the Dakotas should be ashamed of themselves for not coming forward sooner and faster on this issue to support it. 50 years from now the name of the Sioux will be long forgotten.

I am 63 years old, born and raised in GF, graduated from UND and attended Sioux games since 1952, and other than the death of my mother, father, and brother, this is the saddest day of my life. The Native Americans in the Dakotas should be ashamed of themselves for not coming forward sooner and faster on this issue to support it. 50 years from now the name of the Sioux will be long forgotten.

No they won't.

Gone will be the visage of the respect garnered in that paragraph read before sporting events.

"One proud warriors...etc."

Now they'll just be impoverished, poor, still have truancy and high school graduation problems, and still blaming the white man for it.

However, Erich Longie (who's probably dancing in the street) will have no one else to blame.

HEH! He can't even blame the white man government. A black man is in charge! ROFL

I think that the members of the state board should watch there back for pissed off Sioux fans. I also think that Spirit Lake and UND should sue the NCAA over unfair practices, why should UND have to have two tribes when other schools across the country only needed one. I wonder what people like FWB will find to blame the problems on the reservation know that the nickname is gone. Because I know that suicide, alcoholism will just disappear now.

Not too mention their history, and traditions...they will just be like every other native american tribe with no recognition at all.

I think that the members of the state board should watch there back for pissed off Sioux fans. I also think that Spirit Lake and UND should sue the NCAA over unfair practices, why should UND have to have two tribes when other schools across the country only needed one. I wonder what people like FWB will find to blame the problems on the reservation know that the nickname is gone. Because I know that suicide, alcoholism will just disappear now.

Knock that crap off. Grow up and get a life.

What did I say that is wrong. Get a life, I have one and it is good. I am just asking some questions here.

You were borderline threatening the SBOHE :silly:

Everyone understands the resentment at certain people, but to outlash and talk about the problems on the reservations truancy, alcoholism etc... is wrong.

You were borderline threatening the SBOHE :silly:

Everyone understands the resentment at certain people, but to outlash and talk about the problems on the reservations truancy, alcoholism etc... is wrong.

I am not threatening anyone nor do I want someone to get hurt over this. But i do think that might hear from some people that are pissed off. As far as the alcohol and suicide things. I have read on this board that some of the anti-nickname people say that the nickname is the reason for some of the problems on the reservations, and we all know that is a load of crap. So my question is, when these problems continue what are they going to blame now. That is all.

Jody Hodgson says on brads twitter that nothings gunna change at the ralph if he has anythnign to say abou ti

this is gunna trun in to a big piss match back and forth

and oh yeh for the basketball and summit lovers

tom douple has not called anyone back

I am not threatening anyone nor do I want someone to get hurt over this. But i do think that might hear from some people that are pissed off. As far as the alcohol and suicide things. I have read on this board that some of the anti-nickname people say that the nickname is the reason for some of the problems on the reservations, and we all know that is a load of crap. So my question is, when these problems continue what are they going to blame now. That is all.

Fair enough, But one thing I will say "they" is very broad when its a small minority of the minority making the assumptions. As a whole "they" all do not want this nor blame any problems on UND, you as a fan, or a nickname.

The worst thing people can do is pull their money because of this.

Unfortunately, what other recourse do people, who just wanted the process to be honored, have to express their dissatisfaction with leadership that refuses to abide by even its own prior actions, let alone the people's wishes. A brief timeline:

12/21/00 Higher Ed Board adopts a motion to retain the Fighting Sioux Name and logo. Vote was 8-0.

11/17/05 Higher Ed Board adopts a resolution supporting UND's appeal of NCAA action against the Fighting Sioux name and logo. Vote was 8-0.

6/15/06 Higher Ed Board authorizes the ND Attorney General to commence a lawsuit against the NCAA. Vote was 8-0.

10/27/07 Higher Ed Board accepts the proposed settlement agreement with the NCAA. Vote was 8-0. Notice any pattern here?

So now we come to the present. Under the terms of the settlement agreement (approved unanimously by the Higher Ed Board), UND had until October 30, 2010, to obtain approval from the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes for use of the nickname and related imagery, and upon such approval would be exempted from the NCAA policy under the "namesake exemption" similar to Florida State.

The process was playing out.

This action shows a lack of honor on the part of the Higher Ed Board. It is embarrassing and deceitful. I don't blame Standing Rock. Why should they have gone through the voting process only to be brushed aside by these 8 people, 5 of whom were on the board on October 27, 2007, and voted for the settlement and the terms therein. And as much as their actions irritate me, I can't even hold Kelly and Faison responsible because they ultimately had no authority in this decision. This is strictly in the hands of the Higher Ed Board.

Had this group of 8 enlightened individuals had the integrity to just do what they had already agreed to do, most everyone would have accepted the ultimate result, even if it meant that on October 30, 2010, the nickname and logo were retired.

Absolutely shameful.

Fair enough, But one thing I will say "they" is very broad when its a small minority of the minority making the assumptions. As a whole "they" all do not want this nor blame any problems on UND, you as a fan, or a nickname.

Great I will direct all my anger over this idiotic decision towards the SBoHE.

Unfortunately, what other recourse do people, who just wanted the process to be honored, have to express their dissatisfaction with leadership that refuses to abide by even its own prior actions, let alone the people's wishes. A brief timeline:

12/21/00 Higher Ed Board adopts a motion to retain the Fighting Sioux Name and logo. Vote was 8-0.

11/17/05 Higher Ed Board adopts a resolution supporting UND's appeal of NCAA action against the Fighting Sioux name and logo. Vote was 8-0.

6/15/06 Higher Ed Board authorizes the ND Attorney General to commence a lawsuit against the NCAA. Vote was 8-0.

10/27/07 Higher Ed Board accepts the proposed settlement agreement with the NCAA. Vote was 8-0. Notice any pattern here?

So now we come to the present. Under the terms of the settlement agreement (approved unanimously by the Higher Ed Board), UND had until October 30, 2010, to obtain approval from the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes for use of the nickname and related imagery, and upon such approval would be exempted from the NCAA policy under the "namesake exemption" similar to Florida State.

This action shows a lack of honor on the part of the Higher Ed Board. It is embarrassing and deceitful. I don't blame Standing Rock. Why should they have gone through the voting process only to be brushed aside by these 8 people, 5 of whom were on the board on October 27, 2007, and voted for the settlement and the terms therein. And as much as their actions irritate me, I can't even hold Kelly and Faison responsible because they ultimately had no authority in this decision. This is strictly in the hands of the Higher Ed Board.

Had this group of 8 enlightened individuals had the integrity to just do what they had already agreed to do, most everyone would have accepted the ultimate result, even if it meant that on October 30, 2010, the nickname and logo were retired.

Absolutely shameful.

+++

Absolutely shameful.

Excellent post. The "State Eight" will be villified for decades. This group, along with President Kelly, perhaps Brian Faison, will be forever remembered in a negative light by the majority of people, American Indians included.

I cannot believe that Sioux fans are so Goddamn lame!

Listen to you all whine about this like something is being done to you and you have NO control over it.

Of all of the things that this country was founded upon, there was non greater that the will of the people triumphing.

Just put it in context for one second fellow Sioux Fans, you live in a state with a great military service background. Do you not get the idea of sacrifice for what you believe in and love?

The whole idea that no one in the state has even suggested organizing and creating a formal protest is MIND BOGGLING to me.

Has the media in our country neutered us that much. To be complacent or fearful so much that we only type on our keyboards and sit on our fat asses and listen to the news like it is our god?

WTF? Thow could PROTEST.

ORGANIZE, MARCH!!! really what the F else you going to do? Maybe watch Dancing With The Stars? Maybe a little NBA or NHL?

How much do you REALLLLY care about the Sioux name and the tradition and history and name sake that go with it.

You do know that it goes well beyond the borders of the state don't you? Is it not enough of a SPECIAL thing to maybe drive down to Bismark with 20 or 30, hell why not 50 THOUSAND fellow Sioux fans and protest.

Protest at the next SBof F*cking Joke's next meeting!

Protest in the Streets outside Kelley's house!!

Why is it that YOU will not do anything significant?? If you can't your not worth it and YOU do not deserve to enjoy (for FREE) the great experience it is to be a Sioux Fan.

I will DRIVE from Colorado and meet you all wherever we can decide to protest.

What do you think the SBofF*cking joke would do if 50,000 peaceful protesters showed up at their next meeting?? huh?

The advocates at Standing Rock will take care of that end are we going to take care of ours???