SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2010-2011

brianvf

or Troy Murray, James Patrick, Dave Christian ...

There have been some good NHL hockey players... Craig Ludwig comes to mind as well as Rick Zombo as well.

How about the coaching Job that Dave Tippett is doing with the Yotes right now?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been some good NHL hockey players... Craig Ludwig comes to mind as well as Rick Zombo as well.

How about the coaching Job that Dave Tippett is doing with the Yotes right now?

It's got Don Cherry all it a tizzy because Tippett's success, to him, seems to be an affront to Gretzky's coaching prowess.

He ranted and raved about that.

Insane.

It was amusing though. In the same breath, he explained why his perspective was hopelessly wrong.

Quite classic. I don't need to criticize him any further. Unfortunately, the explanation is so long that it really is, sadly, a "you had to see it" type thing.

It's got Don Cherry all it a tizzy because Tippett's success, to him, seems to be an affront to Gretzky's coaching prowess.

He ranted and raved about that.

Insane.

It was amusing though. In the same breath, he explained why his perspective was hopelessly wrong.

Quite classic. I don't need to criticize him any further. Unfortunately, the explanation is so long that it really is, sadly, a "you had to see it" type thing.

As I have stated before I don't usuallly respond to your posts because you normally regurgetate what has been stated elsewhere. However, It is very sad but not unexpected that you posted a misrepresentation of what Don Cherry had to say about Gretzky and Tippett.

Cherry correctly pointed out that Tippett has a more mature and different lineup than what Gretzky had available, and he didn't like hockey fans concluding that the Coyotes current record suggests that Gretzky was a bad coach. There was nothing more to it.

Personally, I like Don Cherry and don't have a problem with what he has to say, can he be a little over the top sometimes. I like how some get all worked up about what he has to say. I think that Don Cherry ads a little color to the game.

Cherry correctly pointed out that Tippett has a more mature and different lineup than what Gretzky had available, and he didn't like hockey fans concluding that the Coyotes current record suggests that Gretzky was a bad coach. There was nothing more to it.

I watched the Yotes and Oliers game on CBC Saturday night and that is a lot better team than the one that Gretzky had. I could see them playing a few rounds in the Stanley Cup playoffs this spring.

As I have stated before I don't usuallly respond to your posts because you normally regurgetate what has been stated elsewhere. However, It is very sad but not unexpected that you posted a misrepresentation of what Don Cherry had to say about Gretzky and Tippett.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. :lol:

Just for clarification:

Gretzky didn't have such an ability to sign veterans? Wasn't Gretzky GM too?

I doubt he's as poor of a coach as those fans claim, but to let him go free without criticism is just plain stupid.

If this is the last season that UND will be the Fighting Sioux (from what Brad's blog states), then I say the boys should go out in style by bringing home the title. They'll certainly have the team to do it.

I was checking out the players that could be returning to the F4 teams, and it looks like BC is going to be stacked again next year. They don't lose much unless they have some early departures.

Miami loses a couple of talented seniors, and then they have 4 very talented juniors. If any of those juniors leave, they could be hurting a bit.

Wisconsin is hosed next season. They lose 7 seniors and will very likely lose both Stepan and Smith to the pros early as well. That would leave their top returning point getter as frosh Craig Smith (who had 8 goals) and their 2nd returning point getter will be freshman dman Justin Schultz with 22 points. If both Stepan and Smith go pro early (likely IMO), they would lose 7 of their top 8 scorers from this season.

If this is the last season that UND will be the Fighting Sioux (from what Brad's blog states), then I say the boys should go out in style by bringing home the title. They'll certainly have the team to do it.

I was checking out the players that could be returning to the F4 teams, and it looks like BC is going to be stacked again next year. They don't lose much unless they have some early departures.

Miami loses a couple of talented seniors, and then they have 4 very talented juniors. If any of those juniors leave, they could be hurting a bit.

Wisconsin is hosed next season. They lose 7 seniors and will very likely lose both Stepan and Smith to the pros early as well. That would leave their top returning point getter as frosh Craig Smith (who had 8 goals) and their 2nd returning point getter will be freshman dman Justin Schultz with 22 points. If both Stepan and Smith go pro early (likely IMO), they would lose 7 of their top 8 scorers from this season.

Unless Derek Stepan has changed his mind since Jan/Feb, he'll be back for one more season as he stated as much earlier, stating he'd be back for another year. Brendan Smith is probably gone for sure. I'd also say Ryan McDonaugh is gone. But I'd expect another year out of Stepan. I still think they're kind of hosed though.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. :silly:

Just for clarification:

Gretzky didn't have such an ability to sign veterans? Wasn't Gretzky GM too?

I doubt he's as poor of a coach as those fans claim, but to let him go free without criticism is just plain stupid.

Again you are reading too much into Cherry's rant. The talk was about coaching and the word GM didn't come up once.

I was thinking the same thing. Last chance to win a title with the new logo. (new REA era)

Let's get it done, boys!

Anyone got a tentative schedule handy? I saw one a while back, but can't remember where.

Oct. 3 MANITOBA (exh)

Oct. 8-9 Nye Classic in Anchorage (vs. UAA and UAF)

Oct. 15-16 at Bemidji State

Oct. 22-23 at Maine

Oct. 29-30 DENVER

Nov. 5-6 DULUTH

Nov. 12-13 at Wisconsin

Nov. 19-20 at Omaha

Nov. 26-27 NOTRE DAME

Dec. 3-4 ST. CLOUD STATE

Dec. 10-11 at Mankato

Dec. 18 U.S. UNDER 18

Dec. 30 at Duluth (Hall of Fame Game)

Jan. 7-8 ROBERT MORRIS

Jan. 14-15 MINNESOTA

Jan. 21-22 OMAHA

Jan. 28-29 at Colorado College

Feb. 11-12 ANCHORAGE

Feb. 18-19 at St. Cloud State

Feb. 25-26 BEMIDJI STATE

March 4-5 at Michigan Tech

Oct. 3 MANITOBA (exh)

Oct. 8-9 Nye Classic in Anchorage (vs. UAA and UAF)

Oct. 15-16 at Bemidji State

Oct. 22-23 at Maine

Oct. 29-30 DENVER

Nov. 5-6 DULUTH

Nov. 12-13 at Wisconsin

Nov. 19-20 at Omaha

Nov. 26-27 NOTRE DAME

Dec. 3-4 ST. CLOUD STATE

Dec. 10-11 at Mankato

Dec. 18 U.S. UNDER 18

Dec. 30 at Duluth (Hall of Fame Game)

Jan. 7-8 ROBERT MORRIS

Jan. 14-15 MINNESOTA

Jan. 21-22 OMAHA

Jan. 28-29 at Colorado College

Feb. 11-12 ANCHORAGE

Feb. 18-19 at St. Cloud State

Feb. 25-26 BEMIDJI STATE

March 4-5 at Michigan Tech

i like the maine and notre dame but not a huge fan of playing uaa out of conference and uaf. still getting use to omaha and bemidji in there but like it!

opening 2 new arenas is pretty cool for the sioux!

i like the maine and notre dame but not a huge fan of playing uaa out of conference and uaf. still getting use to omaha and bemidji in there but like it!

opening 2 new arenas is pretty cool for the sioux!

And lets properly open those new arenas with style by sweeping the games in them. :glare:

Go Sioux!!

Do you think, being the games will obviously be sold out, that FSSN will televise the games from Bemidji?

They may pick up the feed because of Bemidji now a Midco area, I don't know if taht matters or not... I wonder if there is some way we can start the lobbying now? My buddy is the one that is the voice of the Beavers hockey... I will have to ask him if he has heard any rumblings.

They may pick up the feed because of Bemidji now a Midco area, I don't know if taht matters or not... I wonder if there is some way we can start the lobbying now? My buddy is the one that is the voice of the Beavers hockey... I will have to ask him if he has heard any rumblings.

Yeah, do that. I'd just like to write it in if they are.

• 3 weeks later...

per brad via ralph facebook

Ralph Engelstad Arena posted on Facebook today that it's planning a charter to the season-opening weekend against Alaska-Anchorage if it can get at least 75 people.

The charter would leave Wednesday, Oct. 8 and return immediately after Saturday night's game against the Seawolves. The Sioux play Alaska-Fairbanks on Friday night.

Cost for the charter flight, hotel, ground transportation and game tickets is estimated at $1,700. If you are interested, contact Carmen at 777-6635 or at carmenp@theralph.com by May 15.

Awards from last season were announced (from Brad):

Award: Jeff Anderson Hockey Scholarship

Criteria: Player voted most valuable player by his teammates.

Winner: Chris VandeVelde

Award: Cliff Fido Purpur Award

Criteria: Player who demonstrates hard work, determination and being a creator of excitement on the ice.

Co-winners: Mario Lamoureux and Evan Trupp

Award: Tom Hoghaug Memorial Scholarship

Criteria: Freshman who has demonstrated initiative, character and a sense of responsibility.

Winner: Andrew MacWilliam

Award: Archie Krum Memorial Athletic Scholarship

Criteria: Player who has demonstrated leadership qualities, high academic standards and athletic excellence.

Co-winners: Chay Genoway and Darcy Zajac

Award: Plus-minus award

Criteria: Best plus-minus on the team

Winner: Jake Marto, +18

Award: Most Improved player

Winner: Tate Maris

Award: Rookie of the year

Winner: Danny Kristo

Award: Coaches Unsung Hero Award

Winner: Jake Marto