SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2010-2011

brianvf

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think Johnson would go back to being an assistant?

He ran the whole darn show in Nebraska.

Which was the same level he is now at with the Fargo Force. Not sure I understand your point. Plus SJ apparently doesn't have the required degree.

If, and it is a big if, Eades moves on, Brad Berry should be first consideration for the position.

Which was the same level he is now at with the Fargo Force. Not sure I understand your point...

If, and it is a big if, Eades moves on, Brad Berry should be first consideration for the position.

Sorry. I forgot Johnson is here in Fargo running the Force.

I just don't see him taking an assistant job.

Which was the same level he is now at with the Fargo Force. Not sure I understand your point. Plus SJ apparently doesn't have the required degree.

Yeah I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves as everyone is just responding to a so called rumor. once I see Brad or some other media outlet report it then I'll start speculating. however as far as going from a ushl to assistant coach at d-1, isn't that what hak did?

^ You have to be logged in to view the article. Here it is for those who aren't registered on the GF Herald Web site.

Radio-Fargo Moorhead announced Tuesday that it will terminate its contract with UND to carry Sioux football and hockey games on KFGO Radio in Fargo.

Instead, Radio-Fargo Moorhead said KFGO will carry North Dakota State athletics on the station known as the Mighty 790.

The Radio-Fargo Moorhead decision means UND will have to find another staion in the Fargo-Moorhead area to carry Sioux football and hockey games.

The Radio-Fargo Moorhead decision to drop UND did not sit well with Sioux athletic officials.

There were two years remaining on the contract between Radio-Fargo Moorhead and UND.

UND athletic director Brian Faison released this statement:

"We find it unfortunate that Radio-Fargo Moorhead has decided to terminate our agreement. This has been a long-standing, 17-year relationship that has benefitted both parties and to have it end in this manner is disappointing. From our standpoint, the most unfortunate aspect is that we were never given the opportunity to negotiate in an effort to continue our relationship and were given only two hours advance notice on today's announcement. I want to assure our thousands of loyal fans and alumni that listen to Fighting Sioux hockey and football games in the Fargo area that we will have a strong radio presence in the metropolitan area. An announcement will be forthcoming."

No disrespect to Bison fans, but SERIOUSLY? 17 years, and one day you just up and pull the plug? I have no doubt that Sioux football and hockey will find its way to Fargo radio, but this is a pretty sad move. There must have been some "back room deal-making" and other shennanigans...it doesn't sound right. :lol:

johnson would bring a much needed offensive minded to the bunch instead of always defense first.

A friend pointed out to me recently that no WCHA team has scored more goals than the Sioux in the last 5 years. A review of the stats would show the following. I'm not going to bother counting goals right now but here you go as an example:

WCHA offense rank (Sioux)

09-10 -- 2nd

08-09 -- 1st

07-08 -- 2nd

06-07 -- 2nd

05-06 -- 2nd

A lot of teams would love this "defense first" style.

I can't find the numbers I am looking for, but according to figures reported to the US Dept of Education for the '08-09 school year (latest available) compare UND with OSU:

Men's Hockey	Total Revenue   Total Expense  Net "profit"

UND			   $3,596,366	  $2,075,293	$1,521,073

OSU			   $1,051,923	  $2,363,322   <$1,311,399>

Which situation would you rather put yourself in?

Yeah, OSU spends a lot of money on their hockey program, but they lose $100,000 a month doing so. With colleges cutting expenses nowadays, I think I'd rather stay around a program that makes money.

Given that they fired their hockey coach they evidently are looking to change things up and improve the situation. Also it might be that tOSU can't stand the constant success at Michigan and would like to at least mount a challenge. Finally, the rise in fortune of Miami (OH) hockey surely must be a sore point for tOSU. It could be viewed by someone as an opportunity to rebuild a program, and thus be a stepping stone to taking over a real hockey program (aka, UND) down the road. If Eades were to get the position, that could put a dent (maybe small) into some of UND's recruiting territory and connections. We still have the reputation and rink, of course.

A friend pointed out to me recently that no WCHA team has scored more goals than the Sioux in the last 5 years. A review of the stats would show the following. I'm not going to bother counting goals right now but here you go as an example:

WCHA offense rank (Sioux)

09-10 -- 2nd

08-09 -- 1st

07-08 -- 2nd

06-07 -- 2nd

05-06 -- 2nd

A lot of teams would love this "defense first" style.

You and your dam facts.

Yeah I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves as everyone is just responding to a so called rumor. once I see Brad or some other media outlet report it then I'll start speculating. however as far as going from a ushl to assistant coach at d-1, isn't that what hak did?

I agree that we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. I do want to point out two things though.

1. Cary Eades is not an Assistant Coach. That job title goes to Dane Jackson. Cary Eades has the job title of Associate Head Coach, which if I understand correctly...is above an assistant coach. Interestly enough, Hak switched back and forth between Assistant and Associate under Blais, but was listed as Associate in 2003-2004.

2. Brad Berry already had the job that Eades now holds...He was the Associate Head Coach at UND from 2004-2006 before leaving to go to the Moose. He left the Moose for personal reasons and I am not sure if he wants another coaching job since he started the Hockey Academy and I believe is a recruiter for an NHL team (not sure which one).

Oh, sorry I thought of a third thing. I am not sure where this thing came about that we are a defensively minded team. I don't recall if it was last year or the year before, but we had people complaining that we were too offensively minded and that we hadn't been defensively minded since Berry left. It kinda seems like we can't make up our minds here.

Rumor has it Blasi has applied.

You can, too.

Here's the job posting

Darn it, I am just a little underqualified.

1) I've only coached termites, mites, and squirts. Not quite to the intercollegiate level.

2) I occasionally lose my cool and yell at the refs, but I've never given them the finger.

3) I've never danced on the dasher.

4) I've never walked on the ice to accost an official.

5) I've never squirted an opposing player with the water bottle.

6) I've never thrown hockey sticks from the bench onto the ice during a game.

7) There are NCAA rules?

Other than that I think that I am pretty close. :lol:

I would personally love if Eades got that job. No disrespect to him, but Brad Berry is one of the best in the business. He wants to be back with UND. Plus he was a defenseman and a defensive coach. Eades was a forward, but coaches defense at UND. I have personally talked to a former player who had both Eades and Berry as coaches, and he said Berry was the best coach he ever had. And this player gave up some eligibility to go pro because of the whole situation.

Just my 2 cents.

Frattin and the Hobey- Though I agree with the sentiment that he won't get the Hobey, he does have the "Feel good story" element attached to him. He gets to UND and is overwhelmed off ice, starts drinking, starts breaking team and societal (law) rules. Gets suspended. Spends the next 6 or 8 months cleaning himself up, returns and is a different hockey player.

SERIOUSLY. Look at Frattin before the suspension and compare it to after. I see two different players.

Second, I don't want Fienhage to go, but I suggest he go to Kamloops. He'll get more playing time. Since he's a solid Dman, it will only help his pro prospects. I just can't see him staying here minding the pine.

Third, I can see Eades leaving.... when Eades decides to move. For those looking for his ousting, well... you'd best hope Cary wants to go because O'Keefe isn't going to fire him. Hakstol isn't going to fire him. Faison isn't going to fire him. Looks like that crowd is SOL.

After reading Brad's post again about Finehage/Kamploops, something doen't seem right.

Brad said that Finehage "may have to estimate how much he's going to play next season."

It's the coaches, not Finehage, that created the situation to have as many as 10 D on scholarship next year, if Genoway stays and Forbort, Mattson, Simpson all come next year, and that doesn't count Davidson either.

We also hear about "the program" and quotes from players referring to sticking with the program when times get tough.

I know it would be inconvenient for everyone if Finehage stayed next year but why shouldn't he stay and be part of the "program" - doesn't the "program" come before the individual?

Bottom line - the coaching staff has put this young man in a tough position - they convinced him to come here to play college hockey - if they don't want him around next season they should man up and do it face to face.

And another thing - we have a published report about a Jr. team commenting about a current Sioux player - where is the reaction from the UND coaching staff and Finehage - did you pick up the phone, Brad?

Brad said that Finehage "may have to estimate how much he's going to play next season."

Bottom line - the coaching staff has put this young man in a tough position - they convinced him to come here to play college hockey - if they don't want him around next season they should man up and do it face to face.

I'm glad someone else posted this...I was going to but feared the "Rick" might show his wrath again (see "Is it time to fire Hak?" thread starter).

When an athlete is recruited, they assume they are being recruited for the FULL eligibilty of the college career, not until a better "option" comes along and then only to be kicked to the curb.

I totally agree Finehage has done nothing to bring this situation apon himself. It is difficult for all parties involved, especially if Genoway returns.

I'm going to guess that any conversations about expectations for playing time have already been done with Fienhage (and any other player on the roster) by the coaching staff. The coaches know the situation. They're not going to just pull the player along and not tell him about the incoming recruits and what they expect from the player and themselves for next season.

My guess is that this conversation was already completed, and that is why Fienhage's advisor was talking with other teams.

The coaches are going to recommend whatever is best for both the player and the team.

I'm going to guess that any conversations about expectations for playing time have already been done with Fienhage (and any other player on the roster) by the coaching staff. The coaches know the situation. They're not going to just pull the player along and not tell him about the incoming recruits and what they expect from the player and themselves for next season.

My guess is that this conversation was already completed, and that is why Fienhage's advisor was talking with other teams.

The coaches are going to recommend whatever is best for both the player and the team.

Not disagreeing with anything you posted, but it still gets back to the fact that this kid is getting squeezed. And as to who or what caused the squeezing??? I think stickboy nailed it in his last post.

Your last statement is somewhat disingenuous though.

This is a Calapari-type move IMO if he is forced out.