SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2010-2011

brianvf

Matt Frattin. I could see him scoring 25-30 goals next year. With his size, speed, and shot he is a handful. If things play out like I could envision he would be in the Hobey running.

Danny Kristo. Had 15 goals as a freshman, should continue to improve, 20-25 goals is not unreasonable to expect from him.

Jason Gregoire. Had more great scoring chances over the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the season than any Sioux player I can remember. If he learns how to finish he will also be in the discussion for the Hobey. He could get 25-30 goals.

Evan Trupp. A bit of an enigma to me. At times he looks like the best player on the team and at other times I wonder what the heck he is doing. Can't have another 20 game goal-less streak next year. Great talent and I expect a big senior season from him. A 40-45 point season is possible.

Corban Knight. I expect him to make a big jump forward. He was going to play juniors this past year and was brought in early due to Frattin being suspended. He wasn't really ready to provide much help the first half of the year. Not really sure what type of offensive numbers to expect but I look for him to take a big step forward in his development.

Chay Genoway. As a selfish Sioux fan I can only hope he comes back for another year. That immediately makes the entire offense more dangerous. I can certainly understand if he moves on but I would love to see him go out skating around the Excel center with the National Championship trophy held high.

Brad Eidsness. Did not seem to show much improvement over last year during the first 25-30 games this year, but then he was a huge factor for the Sioux getting hot the last 13 games prior to the tourny. He needs to improve his lateral movement and I expect him to take another step forward next year. Would expect a save % of at least .920 - .925 next year.

With Eids back and a solid defense I would like Hak to turn the boys loose on the offensive end. When we get up a few goals midway in the game I want to see them put the other team away and not let them back in the game. Establish a killer mentality right from the get-go next season. This team should average around 4 goals/game and the defense should allow around 2/game. If they can do that they will be tough to beat.

Assuming all underclassman are back this team should finish in the top two in the league and be able to get a #1 seed. If the team can stay relatively healthy (a big if based on past seasons) they will bring home #8.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Frattin. I could see him scoring 25-30 goals next year. With his size, speed, and shot he is a handful. If things play out like I could envision he would be in the Hobey running.

Danny Kristo. Had 15 goals as a freshman, should continue to improve, 20-25 goals is not unreasonable to expect from him.

Jason Gregoire. Had more great scoring chances over the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the season than any Sioux player I can remember. If he learns how to finish he will also be in the discussion for the Hobey. He could get 25-30 goals.

Evan Trupp. A bit of an enigma to me. At times he looks like the best player on the team and at other times I wonder what the heck he is doing. Can't have another 20 game goal-less streak next year. Great talent and I expect a big senior season from him. A 40-45 point season is possible.

Corban Knight. I expect him to make a big jump forward. He was going to play juniors this past year and was brought in early due to Frattin being suspended. He wasn't really ready to provide much help the first half of the year. Not really sure what type of offensive numbers to expect but I look for him to take a big step forward in his development.

Chay Genoway. As a selfish Sioux fan I can only hope he comes back for another year. That immediately makes the entire offense more dangerous. I can certainly understand if he moves on but I would love to see him go out skating around the Excel center with the National Championship trophy held high.

Brad Eidsness. Did not seem to show much improvement over last year during the first 25-30 games this year, but then he was a huge factor for the Sioux getting hot the last 13 games prior to the tourny. He needs to improve his lateral movement and I expect him to take another step forward next year. Would expect a save % of at least .920 - .925 next year.

With Eids back and a solid defense I would like Hak to turn the boys loose on the offensive end. When we get up a few goals midway in the game I want to see them put the other team away and not let them back in the game. Establish a killer mentality right from the get-go next season. This team should average around 4 goals/game and the defense should allow around 2/game. If they can do that they will be tough to beat.

Assuming all underclassman are back this team should finish in the top two in the league and be able to get a #1 seed. If the team can stay relatively healthy (a big if based on past seasons) they will bring home #8.

I couldn't agree more with your second to last thought. Up by five tied or down by five play the same game. Start burying teams instead of letting them back in. Its a competive sport if you beat a team by six then so be it.

This.

And this.

:lol:

I had someone ask me this at the Final Five, and the problem with the Hobey race is off-ice issues, character, and academics are all considered. I don't think the school will push Frattin (Gregoire, and Genoway if he returns would be my guesses), and I'm not sure he would be in the mix because of his dust-ups and the semester he missed this season. Stranger things have happened, but right now I can't see it.

Dave

I had someone ask me this at the Final Five, and the problem with the Hobey race is off-ice issues, character, and academics are all considered. I don't think the school will push Frattin (Gregoire, and Genoway if he returns would be my guesses), and I'm not sure he would be in the mix because of his dust-ups and the semester he missed this season. Stranger things have happened, but right now I can't see it.

Dave

i agree, frattin may be one of the best players in college hockey next year, but the hobey is an all inclusive award. a big part of why duncs won it, and a big part of why frattin will be left out of the discussion imho. it hurt gerbe, it is why there wasn't alot of talk about the tropp kid from mich state, even when he was one of the leading scorers in the country, and i think will hurts frattins chances. although i am sure he will take a national championship over the hobey :lol:

Dave

Agreed, but if his numbers are there, they can't help but put him in the running. Bochenski had a few pre-college issues. Hensick wasn't really known for his gleaming character either. I think he'll be in the discussion, but probably prevented from winning as you said. I hope Gregoire is a monster next year.

i agree, frattin may be one of the best players in college hockey next year, but the hobey is an all inclusive award. a big part of why duncs won it, and a big part of why frattin will be left out of the discussion imho. it hurt gerbe, it is why there wasn't alot of talk about the tropp kid from mich state, even when he was one of the leading scorers in the country, and i think will hurts frattins chances. although i am sure he will take a national championship over the hobey :(

Yet Brendan Smith's 2 DUI's didn't hurt his chances. YET. :lol:

Brad is reporting that Kamloops in the WHL will try to get Fienhage to defect. It wouldn't be a really bad choice, but an unfortunate shake-out...especially when you consider that it's a Major Junior league he'd be going to.

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=74947

I suppose it will depend what the Sabres want him to do and he could be on the outside looking in like he was this season.

I thought he improved this season but mabye the WHL is what he needs.

I suppose it will depend what the Sabres want him to do and he could be on the outside looking in like he was this season.

I thought he improved this season but mabye the WHL is what he needs.

The key, obviously, to any player's development is ice time. It is too bad Fienhage didn't get more shifts last year. He filled in nicely, I think, this year in an emergency kind of role. If his goal is the NHL, he needs more shifts, wherever that might be.

It is also obvious that UND has too many defensemen on the roster. Something

Brad is reporting that Kamloops in the WHL will try to get Fienhage to defect. It wouldn't be a really bad choice, but an unfortunate shake-out...especially when you consider that it's a Major Junior league he'd be going to.

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=74947

Everyone knew something had to give sooner or later on the Defensive corps and this seems the most logical. He would definately be hard pressed to get much ice time next year.

Everyone knew something had to give sooner or later on the Defensive corps and this seems the most logical. He would definately be hard pressed to get much ice time next year.

not a suprise at all if he goes there. i wish it would have worked better for corey at UND but this is the best move for him if it all works out with the numbers at D. whatever he does, best of luck but i think this could be smart for him overall if he will play every night. i believe this is very possible because if a team protects your rights i think that means they have to drop another play. i could be wrong as im not up on the major juniors rules like college

Dave

Why not look at it from the perspective of where he has come from to get to where he is now? Did he not do everything right to get back to where he needed to be?

Is he not doing a stand-up job being a high class collegate athelete now? It looks to me like he is.

So why shouldn't this be one of those 'overcome adversity and stuggle to achieve great success.'

I think if he has the productivity next year and continues on his current course then he would be more deserving than the next guy.

..Of course I think people tend to not see overcoming adversity in this way unless the person is a female or a minority. At least that's my perspective on our wonderful media, but that is another topic for sure..

Just talked with someone who has connections to the Ohio State hockey team. Rumble is that Cary Eades is in the running for the head coaching position. He is going to try to find out more for me.

good for eades! any ideas who would be a possible replacement fo him? i would guess they stay in house with former sioux as that seems to be hakstols method

good for eades! any ideas who would be a possible replacement fo him? i would guess they stay in house with former sioux as that seems to be hakstols method

I wish Eades the best as well but wouldn't mind seeing still him behind our bench too.

Brad Berry is in the building, any thoughts of him coming back? Steve Johnson is also in the area and back in coaching. Not saying they have to hire someone local but I like the Sioux family connections and experience.

Just talked with someone who has connections to the Ohio State hockey team. Rumble is that Cary Eades is in the running for the head coaching position. He is going to try to find out more for me.

OSU's organizational support of hockey is suspect, at best. I wish the best for Cary, but I don't think this would be a good move for him.

OSU's organizational support of hockey is suspect, at best. I wish the best for Cary, but I don't think this would be a good move for him.

thats the million dollar question in college sports. would you rather be the top assistant at florida football or be the head coach at new mexico? tough one to answer i guess as we could line up the pros and cons.

That would be bad if true, I wonder if Steve Johnson would now be in the running for an assistant coaching job at UND?

That would be bad if true, I wonder if Steve Johnson would now be in the running for an assistant coaching job at UND?

bring him, joyce and hrkac in to coach :lol: all seriousness i know you have to have a college degree to coach, wasnt that a issue before or am i thinking of the wrong person?

thats the million dollar question in college sports. would you rather be the top assistant at florida football or be the head coach at new mexico? tough one to answer i guess as we could line up the pros and cons.

I can't find the numbers I am looking for, but according to figures reported to the US Dept of Education for the '08-09 school year (latest available) compare UND with OSU:

Men's Hockey	Total Revenue   Total Expense  Net "profit"

UND			   $3,596,366	  $2,075,293	$1,521,073

OSU			   $1,051,923	  $2,363,322   <$1,311,399>

Which situation would you rather put yourself in?

Yeah, OSU spends a lot of money on their hockey program, but they lose $100,000 a month doing so. With colleges cutting expenses nowadays, I think I'd rather stay around a program that makes money.

I can't find the numbers I am looking for, but according to figures reported to the US Dept of Education for the '08-09 school year (latest available) compare UND with OSU:

Men's Hockey	Total Revenue   Total Expense  Net "profit"

UND			   $3,596,366	  $2,075,293	$1,521,073

OSU			   $1,051,923	  $2,363,322   <$1,311,399>

Which situation would you rather put yourself in?

Yeah, OSU spends a lot of money on their hockey program, but they lose $100,000 a month doing so. With colleges cutting expenses nowadays, I think I'd rather stay around a program that makes money.

without a doubt its a step back program wise, not even close and many can see that. the main thing is having your own team and building something yourself and that could be a factor with any assistant coach. tough decision i would imagine if it was offered to eades.

I found the other numbers I was looking for:

John Markell, the recently fired OSU hockey coach, made $227,500 in 2008 (which sort of aligns with the program figures I posted above).

Dave Hakstol's base for 2007-08 was $210,000 plus incentives of up to 25% if he and the team reach certain goals, such as playing in the Frozen Four. The contract also includes $50,000 annually in deferred compensation.

Obviously, a head coach's salary were Eades to get the job, would be more than what he is making at UND as an assistant.