SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2010-2011

brianvf

Sigh....another season comes to an end..... :ohmy:

I'm anxious for next year already. We have an all conference goaltender coming back. We could have the best defensive core in the country, and we return all but two forwards. I don't see anybody leaving early, and next year could be fun!

Think of this D-core:

Blood-Genoway

LaPoint-Marto

McWilliam-Gleason

Simpson-Fienhage

Yeah, that makes me smile. :D

I think you're missing the D-man that will make the most impact next year and that's Forbort. Depth chart will look more like this next year, imo.

Blood-Genoway

Marto-LaPoint

MacWilliam-Forbort

Gleason-Mattson

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

key word there brian

regular

I know, that's why I said it.

You can't predict what is going to happen in the post season. Just look at DU this year or all the #1 seeds that lost out last year. The postseason is too dependent on bounces/hot goalie/etc that you can't predict outcomes.

That said, next year's team could really do some damage.

No matter who comes in there is gonna be a lot to figure out, but I think the competition will really help. I think we may see a little more of Dell next year and really do believe Chay will be back. I'm gonna say we wait a year on a Nelson and Simpson.

Forwards- Frats, Trupp, Gregoire, Kristo, Malone, Hexy, Knight, Lammy, Toews, Rowney, Cichy, Bruno, D.Mattson, Rodwell, and Davidson (15)

D-Men-Genoway, Marto, Blood, Mac, Forbort, N. Mattson, Gleason, Finehage?, Hill? (9)

I think if Genoway is backe he will be at D, but think about a line of Genoway-Frattin-Kristo, teams would have a tough time keeping up with that line.

I am really excited to see how some of these things start falling and can't wait for October.

GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!

I posted about this last summer and I'll say it again, this 2010-11 team could be something very special. I don't want to speculate as to who is coming in, but even if you look at who is coming back we will have a combination of leadership, experience, and talent. Even if Genoway doesn't come back, the blue line is stacked and I think we will be able to roll with four good lines up front.

Hak knows what he is doing. He understands he needs speedy D next year if Sampson (sp) comes in early. Look at Marto yesterday, he was banged up and was the most efficient player on the ice and that goes for both teams. Why, because he one of the smartest players on the team, has great hands, vision and can fly. If Chay comes back, you would have him, Marto, Mac, Blood, Lapoint and Gleason -(as a person that can play, but may be sitting out at times, a great insurance D to have, or use come tournament time) Forbort and Mattson are playing every night, I can assure you that. So, as fans we need to see what happens with Chay. Fienhage may be gone and decides to transfer, or sign to develop elsewhere. Blood is not going anywhere yet.

Next year will be a team that on paper should be able to do some amazing and crazy things.

Let's be honest on the forward front here too.... - Hexy, Frats, Trupp, Greg, Kristo, Malone are locks to play. So what do you do, you tell every other player... you say it is open competition boys. Do you wait on bringing in Brock Nelson? Yes, probably so bring in Rodwell and Danny Mattson (tough year, but the kid has speed and hands!) Now remember fans just because Mario Lamoureux works his ass off and is the king of you get what you deserve with hard work, understand that if, and that is a big if... If the talent level on the depth and forward front should be what it is looking to be,......remember he came to UND being very fortunate. He has worked for all the ice team he has received and has EARNED IT. But.... Let's state the most important trait of Mr. Lamoureux, he is all about the team first. If he will be sitting out some games next year a little bit he understands that. He needs to be a leader on that front and get that team mentality across the rest of the troops, him and Davidson do it best and are awesome for that!!!. No... you question this and say why?... because Rowney also for what he is, may be in the similar position next year too. Yeah he played all year but, is he really that effective and efficient where he needs to be in the line up every game next year.... I would say no!

Come down the stretch of any given run though, you play the best players..... Yeah I know and I get it, so we shall see next year on the forward front with - Lam, Cichy, Bruno, Toews, Rowney, Knight, Rodewell - if comes in and Mattson - if comes in. As always, off season for the ones that struggled this year! Earn you spot!

And now the rhyme and reasoning behinds this to tell the players. As a coach what to you say and how do you handle this.... You say next year with what "we" have, would could accomplish greats things and win #8. This is our year, last year was a trial run and we could of won any given night and lose (come tourney time this year, yep it happened) as well and then had that feeling starting in October in the locker room and the whole coaching staff.. So for motivation you say, do you want to be part of a national title team to the players.... Then you say "sacrifice baby" !! Enough said!

Next year on personnel is going to be nuts!

Lamoureux will not have to worry about sitting next year at all. I also think that Bruneteau started to come around at the end of this year. I do agree though that guys like Rowney, Toews, and Cichy will be hard pressed for ice time next year unless something drastic changes.

It seems that most people assume Fienhage is a goner next year, so I'm just curious why. Is he going pro, transferring, or getting cut? I didn't see enough games to make a an accurate assessment, but he certainly didn't look good enough to be bolting to the pros already, nor did he seem terrible enough to be cut, either.

No matter who comes in there is gonna be a lot to figure out, but I think the competition will really help. I think we may see a little more of Dell next year and really do believe Chay will be back. I'm gonna say we wait a year on a Nelson and Simpson.

Forwards- Frats, Trupp, Gregoire, Kristo, Malone, Hexy, Knight, Lammy, Toews, Rowney, Cichy, Bruno, D.Mattson, Rodwell, and Davidson (15)

D-Men-Genoway, Marto, Blood, Mac, Forbort, N. Mattson, Gleason, Finehage?, Hill? (9)

I think if Genoway is backe he will be at D, but think about a line of Genoway-Frattin-Kristo, teams would have a tough time keeping up with that line.

I am really excited to see how some of these things start falling and can't wait for October.

GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!

I agree on waiting to bring in Nelson, although we need his offensive touch! Simpson is coming in already, I dont know where it was on here, I think AZ Sioux posted it, the assistant coach of Simpson said ND coaches contacted him to bring him in next year, thats why hes accelerating his schooling.

Lamoureux will not have to worry about sitting next year at all. I also think that Bruneteau started to come around at the end of this year. I do agree though that guys like Rowney, Toews, and Cichy will be hard pressed for ice time next year unless something drastic changes.

Completely agree, Lamoureux is a leader on and off the ice, Hak knows this and he wont sit at all next year. Granted he's a 3rd/4th liner, but hes a grinder thats his style.

Completely agree, Lamoureux is a leader on and off the ice, Hak knows this and he wont sit at all next year. Granted he's a 3rd/4th liner, but hes a grinder thats his style.

I see Mario turning into another Darcy Zajac. Leader on/off the ice that can contribute on the ice occasionally.

I agree on waiting to bring in Nelson, although we need his offensive touch! Simpson is coming in already, I dont know where it was on here, I think AZ Sioux posted it, the assistant coach of Simpson said ND coaches contacted him to bring him in next year, thats why hes accelerating his schooling.

Um...no. Simpson was accelerating before he committed. Our coaches did not tell him to accelerate. Until I hear the official word, I still say Simpson waits.

It seems that most people assume Fienhage is a goner next year, so I'm just curious why. Is he going pro, transferring, or getting cut? I didn't see enough games to make a an accurate assessment, but he certainly didn't look good enough to be bolting to the pros already, nor did he seem terrible enough to be cut, either.

I think most people are assuming that because he'll most likely see limited ice time next season as a Junior(he's a 3rd round draft pick). Especially if Genoway stays and with the addition of Forbort. Your looking at:

Genoway

LaPoint

Marto

Blood

MacWilliam

Gleason

Forbort

Fienhage

Hill

Coaches are gonna have to make some tough decisions next season even if Genoway stays or leaves.

Um...no. Simpson was accelerating before he committed. Our coaches did not tell him to accelerate. Until I hear the official word, I still say Simpson waits.

Either way, hes accelerating his schooling and coming in early. Unless his assistant coach is a liar.

If I'm coaching (thankfully for all of you, I am not). My depth chart looks like this:

Goalie:

Eidsness

Dell

Defense:

Genoway and Forbert

Marto and Simpson

Blood and MacWilliam

Gleason and Mattson

Lapoint and Fienahge

Hill

Forward:

Malone, Frattin, and Trupp

Knight, Gregoire and Kristo

Lammy, Hexy, and Bruno

Nelson, Toews, and Cichy

D. Mattson, Rodwell, and Rowney (only negative +/- on team this year)

Davidson

Clearly guys have to earn the right to play, but those would be my depth charts coming in this year. You can see that I put the potential #1 draft picks in the top 20...you kinda have to.

If I'm coaching (thankfully for all of you, I am not). My depth chart looks like this:

Goalie:

Eidsness

Dell

Defense:

Genoway and Forbert

Marto and Simpson

Blood and MacWilliam

Gleason and Mattson

Lapoint and Fienahge

Marris

Forward:

Malone, Frattin, and Trupp

Knight, Gregoire and Kristo

Lammy, Hexy, and Bruno

Nelson, Toews, and Cichy

D. Mattson, Rodwell, and Rowney (only negative +/- on team this year)

Davidson

Clearly guys have to earn the right to play, but those would be my depth charts coming in this year. You can see that I put the potential #1 draft picks in the top 20...you kinda have to.

Thankfully, you're not.

Maris is a goaltender, not a defenseman. :ohmy:

I think most people are assuming that because he'll most likely see limited ice time next season as a Junior(he's a 3rd round draft pick). Especially if Genoway stays and with the addition of Forbort. Your looking at:

Genoway

LaPoint

Marto

Blood

MacWilliam

Gleason

Forbort

Fienhage

Hill

Coaches are gonna have to make some tough decisions next season even if Genoway stays or leaves.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I never follow recruiting in any sport, so I have no idea who's coming in for the Sioux. I've seen too many hot shot recruits lay eggs in football, basketball, and hockey. You've got to show me something while wearing the Sioux jersey before I consider you a good college hockey player.

looks like at least three freshman come in and maybe more if we start losing guys. I think Hill might be gone and Corey due to playing time. I think Corey might move to major juniors. my god parents seem to hear about rumors a head of everyone else and i know its by no means credible but they get the scoop from time to time. plus he is drafted and will more than likely see less playing time next year especially if chay comes back he will see none. how soon do we find out who is comng in.

i still cant believe this team didnt show up for 2 periods vs yale in a do or die situation. so frusterating and then to watch bc give up the goals they have it makes you more frusterated. the sioux didnt deserve to advance on and thats hockey i guess, moving on from frusteration :ohmy: kind of

pure guessing on d only

D

blood

macwilliam

marto

forbort

simpson

n. mattson

gleason

my thinking is the sioux need offensive help asap on the blueline and thats from day 1 in october. the d was fine overall but the sioux need production back there with goals and creating. chay brings that all to the table if he returns but cant count on that until we hear for sure whats happening.

my guess

genoway moves on, lapoint leaves to develop in AHL and fienhage leaves to develop and get regular ice time. hill leaves as well with davidson proving he can be the emergency d man if needed and being a extra forward. as stated the blueline is a hell of a guess for anyone and chay will determine a lot with staying or going. i would like to see fienhage back but not sure where he is at as davidson took a blueline spot over him which isnt a good sign for him.

if chay comes back then who the hell knows because everything written has simpson coming in early.

again just guessing on how this works out like everyone here but the top 6 above i listed would be the 6 d men i think we see nightly. 3 young blueliners but very talented as well.

the sioux are deep at forward but need a big improvement with this years freshman to sophmore jump, i think nelson arrival depends how high he gets drafted. another small forward class due to pure numbers so i hope whoemever comes in can produce more than last years bigger class. cichy and toews have to get theirselves in there nightly next season and that senior class of forwards will need to keep it up. malone-frattin-trupp will be called upon to lead this team to st paul for a title run as seniors

long live fighting sioux hockey!! go sioux

my guess

genoway moves on, lapoint leaves to develop in AHL and fienhage leaves to develop and get regular ice time. hill leaves as well with davidson proving he can be the emergency d man if needed and being a extra forward. as stated the blueline is a hell of a guess for anyone and chay will determine a lot with staying or going. i would like to see fienhage back but not sure where he is at as davidson took a blueline spot over him which isnt a good sign for him.

Wow!

That's a bold guess.

I can honestly see Chay not coming back; and Fienhage looks to be an odd-man-out kind of situation. But LaPoint moving to the AHL seems a stretch.

But heck, this is what the off-season is all about! I do think, though, that there are going to be surprising changes in the d-corps for '10-11.

Wow!

That's a bold guess.

I can honestly see Chay not coming back; and Fienhage looks to be an odd-man-out kind of situation. But LaPoint moving to the AHL seems a stretch.

But heck, this is what the off-season is all about! I do think, though, that there are going to be surprising changes in the d-corps for '10-11.

yeah pure guessing as of now, im sure it will clear up sooner than later but either way there will be movement on the blueline

malone-frattin-trupp will be called upon to lead this team to st paul for a title run as seniors

I would put Gregoire in the leadership group as well. He didn't have a great game on Saturday, but he brings so much to the ice in every situation and I think next year will be his "senior" year as well, as I expect him to make the jump after 2010-11.

Dave

I would put Gregoire in the leadership group as well. He didn't have a great game on Saturday, but he brings so much to the ice in every situation and I think next year will be his "senior" year as well, as I expect him to make the jump after 2010-11.

Dave

Gregoire looked great with the A. I think we'll see him wear it either 2010 or 2011!

Well, let's play devil's advocate with all of you and play WILD GUESS MONDAY on the AZSioux prediction.

Genoway - He may have to turn pro to prove that he's not damaged goods. Yeah, he could probably still do that by playing a super senior year, but he's not getting younger and, at least in football, they draft your replacement the year after you sign. If the money's good or the opportunity just the same (aka an NHL deal or.. if the pros isn't what Genoway wishes to pursue, a good job track offer) he might just want to do that. I can see Genoway leaving and I can see him coming back. I'm ok with both.

LaPoint - Is he NHL ready? HEH! I'm a big LaPoint fan but even I have to say NO. However, he had a great year one year removed from a horrific injury. It would not surprise me if Florida, a team that isn't really NCAA friendly overall anyways, asks LaPoint to sign to play in the AHL to keep closer tabs on him. Speed is still an issue and they may want to see what they've got up close.

Fienhage - Let's face it, he truly is the odd man out. Davidson has been good, sure. Gleason a great surprise off the starting block (I predicted he'd be sitting a lot this year and Fienhage playing more), but what's left for Fienhage now that N. Mattson and D. Forbort are coming in? If LaPoint and Genoway stay, when's he going to play? Davidson would already be the odd man out. I can't see Buffalo being too pleased with his lack of playing time. To make matters worse, he wasn't all that bad this year. He made a few freshman blunders, but he was basically a redshirt freshman anyways. Yeah, it's nice to be super deep but this isn't the NHL or even the AHL folks. We're here to develop talent. There's not much you can develop at Fienhage's expected level by making him a backup and practice D. I think he will transfer. I think Buffalo might want him to. I know I'd want him to if I were the GM of Buffalo. I'd want to see if he was going to grow any more or did I pull a David Fischer out of the 3rd Round? Harsh of me to say. I think Fienhage will be good (so transfer to the CCHA, ok?), but at this rate he only has the probability of increased playing time as a senior (barring injury or early departure).

Personally, I'd rather not lose anyone.