SiouxSports.com Forum

Marvin gets 3 games

Sioux-Hockey-Fan

As I said at the beginning, UND will be looking at alot of suspensions in the future if the WCHA continues to suspend players for hits like Marvin did in Wisc. There were probably 3 hits by UND alone in the last SCSU game that would warrent a suspension. Be careful what you ask for. Numerous UND players went after Marvin and most by hits to his head. Was that OK? So are you saying hits to the head are ok if in retaliation? I don't want any intentional hits to the head, but how about some consistancy??

there has been video evidence of marvin's obvious dirty play where he's going for the head of a player not engaged in play at the puck provided by fans from mankato, und, wisconsin, and minnesota on different blogs i've looked at throughout the season.

let's see your video evidence of und's alleged hits to the head against st cloud.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This suspension could be just desserts for the Sioux. I could see mankato taking 2 games this weekend, with marvin and this whole distraction. If there is a such thing as the hockey gods, they may have just smiled on UND. Finally McClown got it right and the Sioux are looking like a different team since they got the St. Cloud games out of thier system. Now lets go get a couple wins this weekend. SIOUX YEAH YEAH

i was thinking the same thing. i view the current wcha leadership the same way most of the people on this forum do. however, they may have hit marvin a little harder by waiting until now to suspend him; saavy play for once by mcleod and company or coincidence?

Folks - IMHO it is past time to move on. There are games and playoffs to focus on. This is over and done with. Let it be a distraction for SCSU, but not the Sioux.

we'll focus on games and playoffs as they come. this article was just released so naturally we're going to discuss it. besides, i'm sure the team moved on a long time ago and this thread will not be read by any of them and will not be a distraction. we're just a bunch of talking heads. our ramblings on this forum likely do not help or hinder the team on game day.

Does anyone think it will make a difference? I don't think MSU-M can beat SCSU with or without Marvin. I also don't think Marvin is that good that he

would make that big of a difference or a game breaker either way. Even before the Genoway hit I wasn't ever impressed with the kid. I don't know. It would be nice to move up in the standings but now we are counting on other teams to do the Sioux's dirty work. I would love to see the Huskies loose three games in a row because I think it would be poetic justice. I will bounce it off you guys.

i think it has potential to make a difference. it's certainly a distraction to the team, plus it might give mankato some much needed confidence. let's not forget either that mankato can be tough when they have something to play for and they might look at this as their chance to sweep a better team right before the playoffs and it's always good to get some momentum going into the post-season.

that being said, i still don't see mankato taking more than 2 points at best this weekend.

mankato is my second team (i graduated from mankato after eight years of college between und and msu; and, no, i'm not a doctor, i just really liked college)...so go mavs!

Dear fans of other WCHA teams,

Please list for me the season ending injuries to your team caused by illegal (illegal: if a penalty was called or sanction given later) hits during games by opponents since Jan 1, 2005. Please note that is a very specific criteria so please stick to it. No "missed games" or "in practice" or "clean hits" need apply.

For UND:

Chay Genoway: concussion via CFB <-- this assumes his season is over

Derrick LaPoint: double fracture of lower leg via slew foot

Derrick LaPoint: concussion via hit from behind

Robbie Bina: broken neck via hit from behind

If you, oh wise and knowing fans of other squads, can put up a list that devastating of season enders since Jan 1, 2005, caused by illegal hits I'll listen to your words about UND being the bad guys.

If not, take a look at who's really being hit with devastating injuries due to illegal play.

Signed,

Patiently awaiting your lists

nice.

i think it's clear what's happened in this league. und has earned a reputation as a highly physical team. there's no arguing the validity of that and there's nothing wrong with that either. playing physical is not against the rules.

now that und carries that reputation into the ralph and every other venue in which we play every year, the opposing team often feels they have to play equally as physical in order to keep up. it's now obvious that coaches besides hakstol are not very good at getting the message across that although they want to see physical play, they also want to see legal play.

so teams go against und with the mindset that they're going to be just as physical. when it becomes clear that they can't keep up with the physical play of the sioux, they get frustrated and go over the top; drawing a penalty, suspension, and seriously injuring one of our players.

my advice to other teams: play your game when you play und or anybody else. you're not a physical team so don't try to be one. the fact is, you don't have to be a physical team to beat a physical team. play with your stengths rather than trying to match the strengths of your opponent. a team that plays with finesse is not necessarily at a disadvantage when playing against a physical team. i think sticking to what works for you will not only give you a better chance of beating any team, but you'll significantly reduce your risk of drawing penalties and suspensions and you'll reduce the risk of seriously injuring a fellow collegiate hockey player.

As I said at the beginning, UND will be looking at alot of suspensions in the future if the WCHA continues to suspend players for hits like Marvin did in Wisc. There were probably 3 hits by UND alone in the last SCSU game that would warrent a suspension. Be careful what you ask for. Numerous UND players went after Marvin and most by hits to his head. Was that OK? So are you saying hits to the head are ok if in retaliation? I don't want any intentional hits to the head, but how about some consistancy??

Huskie- i was at both games and i think you've forgotten about the 2 cheap ones by Roe and the stick to the head by Marvin on Friday night. There are no saints in this league, even your favorite Huskies. btw, Roe brings that slash on for his cheap crap from behind and his constant diving trying to obtain a penalty. there is no honor in diving and Roe is the king of it in this league.

Huskie- i was at both games and i think you've forgotten about the 2 cheap ones by Roe and the stick to the head by Marvin on Friday night. There are no saints in this league, even your favorite Huskies. btw, Roe brings that slash on for his cheap crap from behind and his constant diving trying to obtain a penalty. there is no honor in diving and Roe is the king of it in this league.

That is the problem Bob Motzko has been whining for years telling everyone how his team has the moral high ground, and they are a clean team and that his team doesn't play the cheap game of hockey yet two of his players have earned reputations, Hepp is one of the top penalty leaders in the WCHA and Aaron Marvin has now been suspended four games on the season, Hepp was given one and Motzko got a letter of reprimand for his conduct at the end of a game, yet you hear SCSU fans bad mouthing UND about being a bunch of goons.

Schlossman tweets that the Marvin suspension was "pled down" to only 3 games in the appeal process. The league wanted to impose more time.

Interesting...if only they had suspended him after the Genoway hit.

The Geoffrion hit was bad, but nowhere near the Genoway hit. This has to be a collection of evidence against Marvin. The 2 big hits in question, and other things caught on tape.

Schlossman tweets that the Marvin suspension was "pled down" to only 3 games in the appeal process. The league wanted to impose more time.

Actually, Schlossman retweeted Ciskie's tweet about a new post on his (Ciskie's) blog. Following the links to the original source gets you:

Source: Marvin Suspension Initally Longer Before Appeal

A source with knowledge of the talks has told me that the WCHA's original punishment would have banished Marvin for the entire first round of the WCHA playoffs, and possibly the WCHA Final Five -- should St. Cloud make it there. That ban -- which could have been as high as five games if the Huskies played a three-game first-round series and eight games if it included the Final Five -- was then reduced to its current state on appeal.

Dear fans of other WCHA teams,

Please list for me the season ending injuries to your team caused by illegal (illegal: if a penalty was called or sanction given later) hits during games by opponents since Jan 1, 2005. Please note that is a very specific criteria so please stick to it. No "missed games" or "in practice" or "clean hits" need apply.

For UND:

Chay Genoway: concussion via CFB <-- this assumes his season is over

Derrick LaPoint: double fracture of lower leg via slew foot

Derrick LaPoint: concussion via hit from behind

Robbie Bina: broken neck via hit from behind

If you, oh wise and knowing fans of other squads, can put up a list that devastating of season enders since Jan 1, 2005, caused by illegal hits I'll listen to your words about UND being the bad guys.

If not, take a look at who's really being hit with devastating injuries due to illegal play.

Signed,

Patiently awaiting your lists

Let's add Evan Trupp to that list in Duluth a few years back. I believe it was a knee to knee hit. Incidentally, Chay Genoway was also out of action for a bit from a check from behind in that series but was able to return by the national tournament, maybe a little earlier.

Let's add Evan Trupp to that list in Duluth a few years back. I believe it was a knee to knee hit. Incidentally, Chay Genoway was also out of action for a bit from a check from behind in that series but was able to return by the national tournament, maybe a little earlier.

Oh the poor Sioux players that missed time because of injuries. EVERY team can name players that lost games or seasons due to injuries. Proves nothing except its a rough sport. We have had careers ended due to injuries by illegal hits. Get over it, if you want this to turn into a pussy league keep whining. Nobody likes hits to the head except evidently Sioux fans in retaliation. Doesn't surprise me, I don't see anybody complaining about the elbow to the head of Marvin by Blood in the corner.

Oh the poor Sioux players that missed time because of injuries. EVERY team can name players that lost games or seasons due to injuries. Proves nothing except its a rough sport. We have had careers ended due to injuries by illegal hits. Get over it, if you want this to turn into a pussy league keep whining. Nobody likes hits to the head except evidently Sioux fans in retaliation. Doesn't surprise me, I don't see anybody complaining about the elbow to the head of Marvin by Blood in the corner.

The video clearly shows that Marvin put his shoulder in between Bloods shoulder. It's impossible to elbow someone when they are behind you like that.

In fact rather than being a dirty hit by Blood, it was another dirty, intent to injure check by Marvin. If Blood hadn't been ready Marvin would have possibly injured him with another check from behind right in front of the board.

The video is clear. I can't help it that the ability to understand video appears to be correlated with the ability of one's team to win a NCAA tournament game.

Mike,

I believe a poster earlier was looking for a list. Have one?

Are you talking about the "jack in the box" play where they gave Blood a penalty for "elbowing"? Or was there another play where Blood really did elbow Marvin?

And, finally, why are you here looking for sympathy? It wasn't a Sioux player that was injured this time by an illegal hit calling for the league to take action. Are you on the Wisconsin boards this week, too?

hmm, somebody makes a valid point and you do a 180 on us. dig, boy, dig.

With all your trolling of this thread, aren't you missing your 1 pm class..."Swastika Drawing 101"?

I intentionally did *not* include those two because they failed to meet the criteria I had set:

Trupp: No penalty was called, no suspension given, after the knee-to-knee contact.

Genoway: His season did not end in that case.

EVERY team can name players that lost games or seasons due to injuries.

I didn't say "injuries". I said lost remainders of seasons due to illegal hits. That is a significant distinction.

We have had careers ended due to injuries by illegal hits.

Names and causes please, as I provided in UND's case. Thank you. And please remember to stay this side of Jan 1, 2005, in your data.

Reading the SCSU season thread over on USCHO is pure gold regarding the Marvin suspension.

They keep saying that UW and UND fans will change their tune once a UND or UW player gets suspended due to the new "rules" for longer suspensions.

What they don't seem to realize is that there isn't some new rule in place regarding head hits and suspensions. Marvin's longer suspension was due to having multiple cases of injuring players with head shots in one season. Similar to Trevor Bruess' suspension last season...it was due to multiple issues on the ice, not just one instance.

They are under some weird delusion that any head hit going forward will be an automatic suspension.

Of course, these same fans also keep saying that Marvin isn't a goon (fool me once...), and they refuse to admit the Geoffrion hit was a penalty (contact to the head??).

:sad:

I don't see anybody complaining about the elbow to the head of Marvin by Blood in the corner.

I complained about it the following ways:

- The elbow never landed and elbowing (SECTION 12. A player shall not use the elbow in such a manner as to foul an opponent) doesn't include an "intent" or "missed" clause like slashing does (SECTION 47. a. A player shall not slash an opponent with the stick. Slashing includes all cases where a slashing gesture is made regardless of whether contact occurs), so it's a bad call.

- The hitting from behind by Marvin on Blood (SECTION 23. a. A player shall not push, charge, cross-check or body check an opponent from behind in open ice*) wasn't called.

* Having a copy of the 2008-10 NCAA Ice Hockey Rule Book is a handy thing.

Not sure how his PCS occurred, but Rylan Kaip also ended the season from the stands due to a concussion..