SiouxSports.com Forum

Oil Booms in North Dakota

star2city

Could the planning for a Monorail be a little over a bakers dozen years away, if oil is back to $100 a barrel along with $10 wheat and corn? The GF City's Alerius is paid for about the same time as UND inherits The Ralph. That could also be when the U's plans start for the improvements on Ray Richards?

16 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Could the planning for a Monorail be a little over a bakers dozen years away, if oil is back to $100 a barrel along with $10 wheat and corn? The GF City's Alerius is paid for about the same time as UND inherits The Ralph. That could also be when the U's plans start for the improvements on Ray Richards?

Can we get some national titles squeezed into that timeline.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

UND inherits the Ralph? Trust the state with that building after watching how the state takes care of buildings on UNDs campus?   On this one I'm a conservative keep in the hands of the private sector. It's great when the tax payers pay all the bills for your pet project but when you don't control the  $ 500M  In deferred maintenance happens.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

UND inherits the Ralph? Trust the state with that building after watching how the state takes care of buildings on UNDs campus?   On this one I'm a conservative keep in the hands of the private sector. It's great when the tax payers pay all the bills for your pet project but when you don't control the  $ 500M  In deferred maintenance happens.

Ya, trusting the state with The Palace, could be scary. Every time I walk into The Ralph, I make a point at looking at the detail of maintainence that is put into that building. It still looks new. Maybe the U keeps a similar management set up after the 30 years are up.

Flashback, when I was a junior student at the U, they opened the Winter Sports Center on 2nd Ave N east of Memorial Stadium.. The talk on the street was this 6,000 seat arena with plate steel siding would out live us all. We all know what happened there. Hope The Ralph lasts longer, presently it sure seems to be taken very well care of.

I agree they have done a great job maintaining the Ralph & I also smile everytime I walk around the place 

Wonder if we will ever get the cameras traveling around on cables like at the Olympics - would that be on the Ralph or Midco ?

The laser light show & all video production etc needs updating or hire a consultant to modernize it all

• Upvote 1

OneOK announced in its earnings call that it will now proceed with its postponed Demicks Lake (Mckenzie County) gas plant, which will cost $400 million.  The plant should be operating in 2019.  Gas production has never been higher in ND and just keeps going up.  Oil wells may slow decline quickly in oil production  over time, but the nat gas produces more than ever, at least in most Bakken areas.  Watford City just keeps sprouting major facilities within its county.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/oneok-announces-new-gas-processing-plant-for-bakken-core/article_3d2b64b6-1ee9-57f8-8817-95ed986320c9.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Oil may go back to $100/barrel by 4th qtr, at least according to some traders.  The US is clapping down on Iran’s trade and oil supplies at the Cushing, OK, massive tank farm is dropping fast.  Meanwhile, the Permian Basis in Texas doesn’t have pipeline capacity for its increased production, so that leaves the Bakken, Alberta, and other fields.  North Dakota could enter into another period of rapid growth.

https://www.rigzone.com/news/wire/return_of_100_oil_seen_by_top_traders-24-sep-2018-157007-article/

OneOK just announced another large natural gas plant at Demicks Lake, McKenzie County, costing $410 million and will be called Demicks Lake II plant.  The Demicks Lake I plant won’t be operational until fall of 2019, so the construction crews will have a job to do next door.  McKenzie County now has the majority of activity in the Bakken including 12 large gas plant and these new gas plants are needed to process the record gas streams being produced.

https://compressortech2.com/new-gas-ngl-system-expansions-planned/

Ethane has been increasing in value so it will be interesting to see when most of the ethane in the natural gas gets separated and sold to a chemical manufacturer.  Hess has an ethane pipeline to Alberta already in use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At the rate that gas production is growing, North Dakota will need to build a major $200 M NG plant every month to keep from flaring the excess.  Only seven plants are scheduled to be built by 2020.  The Bakken oil wells produce more natural gas as they age, unlike oil, which depletes much faster while nat gas keeps increasing for many years. Almost all the wells drilled since the Bakken boom are producing more nat gas so the climb has just begun.

https://www.willistonherald.com/news/bakken-crude-back-on-infrastructure-treadmill/article_1acc8bc6-ef8d-11e8-868a-477c6d99dce0.html

34 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Hated being in the WDA.  Those trips to Belcourt and Williston were genuinely miserable.  

Watford City is now Class A and is still growing fast.  But with West Fargo getting another HS, you need more western cities to add HS’s or other Class B towns to rise up for Jamestown to get back in the east again.  Maybe if Heart River kept their coop and went Class A, instead of dividing back into their constituent schools of Belfield and South Heart, Jamestown could be with Valley City again.  More eastern schools like Central Cass are continuing to grow which would force it up to “A”, messing with Jamestown’s dream of being an EDC school again.

On 9/24/2018 at 6:47 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Oil may go back to $100/barrel by 4th qtr, at least according to some traders.  The US is clapping down on Iran’s trade and oil supplies at the Cushing, OK, massive tank farm is dropping fast.  Meanwhile, the Permian Basis in Texas doesn’t have pipeline capacity for its increased production, so that leaves the Bakken, Alberta, and other fields.  North Dakota could enter into another period of rapid growth.

https://www.rigzone.com/news/wire/return_of_100_oil_seen_by_top_traders-24-sep-2018-157007-article/

This take did not age well.... 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Watford City is now Class A and is still growing fast.  But with West Fargo getting another HS, you need more western cities to add HS’s or other Class B towns to rise up for Jamestown to get back in the east again.  Maybe if Heart River kept their coop and went Class A, instead of dividing back into their constituent schools of Belfield and South Heart, Jamestown could be with Valley City again.  More eastern schools like Central Cass are continuing to grow which would force it up to “A”, messing with Jamestown’s dream of being an EDC school again.

Minot would be the most likely to add another high school, but it won't happen within the next seven years.  Watford City is going to struggle mightily in Class A, as their increased enrollment doesn't translate into greater participation numbers for sports.  The population is just too transient,  I seriously feel really bad for them.  

23 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Minot would be the most likely to add another high school, but it won't happen within the next seven years.  Watford City is going to struggle mightily in Class A, as their increased enrollment doesn't translate into greater participation numbers for sports.  The population is just too transient,  I seriously feel really bad for them.  

Agreed on Watford City, definitely going to struggle.  Minot should have had a second high school years ago.  Lots of politics.  

3 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

Many of Watford City residents have corporate jobs at nat gas plants.  Far from transient as in the old oil boom days.  Some people are building houses intending to stay.  And those jobs will only increase as more are constructed and operated.  Watford City HS has the best facilities in the state with the convention center and hockey arena complex right next door.

Minot has Nedrose and South Prairie HIgh Schools near its city limits now too, but those are not big enough for Class A but could be in the future.  Minot is stubborn about keeping its two HS campuses for two years each.

50 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

I’ll have to remember to short myself on the commodity next time SV makes this call

Nat gas has gone up greatly as there isn’t much winter storage.  The US has been exporting a lot and that has taken gas from winter storage.  Oil will inevitably go up sometime.  Paid under $2 a gallon today though.