SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Recruits

dakotadan

Very proud but she has worked hard to get where she is at. Off season pucks,stickhandling,rollerblading,and weights have all paid off.

Very proud but she has worked hard to get where she is at. Off season pucks,stickhandling,rollerblading,and weights have all paid off.

Let's hope the hard work pays off and get's to UND or any other school.

I know who these girls are and you will know in due time who they are. Again all they need is a chance like Berg got and they will shine. They just need a little more polishing than the girls from minnesota as the competition isn't up to par here as it is in minny. But I'm not holding my breath for any of the girls getting a chance at UND unless they walk on.

We discuss potential recruits to no end on the men's side, and sometimes people think the Sioux should have recruited one local player instead of another. A perfect example was the debate about defensemen Jay Hardwick, John Ammerman and Jake Marto. Most people weren't as high on Marto, but I think the coaches were quite happy with getting him. I don't know why you don't throw the names out there so they can be discussed about their potential. I have no doubt that if they turn out great you will have no problem scrutinizing the coaches for not taking them, so why not offer them up now so people can scrutinize how they turn out?

We discuss potential recruits to no end on the men's side, and sometimes people think the Sioux should have recruited one local player instead of another. A perfect example was the debate about defensemen Jay Hardwick, John Ammerman and Jake Marto. Most people weren't as high on Marto, but I think the coaches were quite happy with getting him. I don't know why you don't throw the names out there so they can be discussed about their potential. I have no doubt that if they turn out great you will have no problem scrutinizing the coaches for not taking them, so why not offer them up now so people can scrutinize how they turn out?

Fair enough. I will give you 2. Brianna Flynn and Amber Schaack.

Fair enough. I will give you 2. Brianna Flynn and Amber Schaack.

I would also throw in Ashley Becker from Grand Forks, Haley Walsh from West Fargo and Allie Thomas from South.....plus there is a boatlaod of sophomores that are very good.

I would also throw in Ashley Becker from Grand Forks, Haley Walsh from West Fargo and Allie Thomas from South.....plus there is a boatlaod of sophomores that are very good.

All 3 good players for sure. Could of used Walsh and Thomas on Team North Dakota down in Plymouth.

Understandable...I wasn't arguing or defending Idalski. I was just curious as to why the Twins chose to transfer.

Obviously Idalski is doing a good job and next year is the big one since it's the Lammy twins senior year. It will be interesting to see what happens when they are gone.

Obviously Idalski is doing a good job and next year is the big one since it's the Lammy twins senior year. It will be interesting to see what happens when they are gone.

Whatever happens next year, the twins have transformed this program from a glorified club team to a legitimate D-I women's team. Future recruits will continue to have UND on their list of schools they are interested in attending. If not for them transferring from Minnesota, this team would still be a .500 team at best.

• 1 month later...

Whatever happens next year, the twins have transformed this program from a glorified club team to a legitimate D-I women's team. Future recruits will continue to have UND on their list of schools they are interested in attending. If not for them transferring from Minnesota, this team would still be a .500 team at best.

.........I'll take that one further. With the addition of the Dufault kid, I really think this team can make a run at a national title.......this year. She is without a doubt, the real deal and in alot of ways, Idalski's first real blue chipper that he has landed......other than Karvinen (sp?) that is. As I have said earlier, Idalksi needs to have more of a presence in the state......he doesn't have to sign anyone or even recruit a kid.......he just needs to show the younger girls in the state that there is hope.

.........I'll take that one further. With the addition of the Dufault kid, I really think this team can make a run at a national title.......this year. She is without a doubt, the real deal and in alot of ways, Idalski's first real blue chipper that he has landed......other than Karvinen (sp?) that is. As I have said earlier, Idalksi needs to have more of a presence in the state......he doesn't have to sign anyone or even recruit a kid.......he just needs to show the younger girls in the state that there is hope.

And I couldn't agree more but I know first hand that hasn't been the case to this point. Hopefully that will change.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that it is always great to land bluechip recruits from your own area when available, but is it Idalski's job to improve North Dakota high school hockey or U. of North Dakota hockey? The fact is, most of the incoming recruits are playing for national team U18 programs and I don't believe there is one North Dakota high school kid that did. With a limited amount of recruiting time, time needs to be spent convincing the bluechippers to come to North Dakota especially when it is a still up-and-coming program. Has in the past been easier for recruits to choose Minnesota, Wisconsin or Duluth because if their goal is making a national club, that is usually where they come from. Now that has obviously changed as we are getting them to sign here with three or four (?) with national team experience coming in. And I believe the better the team gets, the more interest the game is growing in North Dakota on the women's side and the high school side players will continue to get better. Maybe I am completely off base if it is in his contract to improve NDHS hockey.

No you are not off base and no it is not his job to improve North Dakota High School Hockey. But, as a public figure, and he is even though he is the head womens coach and not the men's, in my opinion, needs to be seen more. For North Dakota girls, there is absolutley no hope, unless you are complete stud like a Lindsay Nagel, to play D-1......and some of the kids that really take it seriously have to move out of the state to another organization to be seen. I mean really how hard would it be to attend 1-2 games a year....heck he could even do it just in Grand Forks for starters. Just my 2 cents.

No you are not off base and no it is not his job to improve North Dakota High School Hockey. But, as a public figure, and he is even though he is the head womens coach and not the men's, in my opinion, needs to be seen more. For North Dakota girls, there is absolutley no hope, unless you are complete stud like a Lindsay Nagel, to play D-1......and some of the kids that really take it seriously have to move out of the state to another organization to be seen. I mean really how hard would it be to attend 1-2 games a year....heck he could even do it just in Grand Forks for starters. Just my 2 cents.

In boys hockey, how many high school players from North Dakota are recruited by UND? Not very many. And North Dakota boys high school hockey has been around for more than 50 years. Who are the only ones that get recruited by UND? The complete studs. How is that any different from what you describe for the girls? What do the top high school players from North Dakota and Minnesota do on a regular basis to get noticed and get better? They leave school and go to play on Jr. teams like in the USHL.

The coaches go to hundreds of games every year. You think they should go to more games just to be seen. Do you know for sure that they never attend any high school games in North Dakota? Maybe people just don't see them. If a coach is attending a game, or even part of a game, they are there to scout players and not to be seen. Maybe the coaches have decided that it is more efficient to watch the top players play against other top players. Even if there was a single top player playing in a high school game, what is a coach going to learn by watching them play against a lower class of competition? It is difficult to learn how good a player can be if they are playing against weak competition. It is kind of a waste of time to try and evaluate a player under those conditions. It is a better use of the coaches time to scout those players if they are playing in a higher level of competition. With all of the time that the coaches put in during the season, it is unreasonable to want them to go to more games just to be seen, if they don't have a really good reason to be at that game.

• Upvote 1

In boys hockey, how many high school players from North Dakota are recruited by UND? Not very many. And North Dakota boys high school hockey has been around for more than 50 years. Who are the only ones that get recruited by UND? The complete studs. How is that any different from what you describe for the girls? What do the top high school players from North Dakota and Minnesota do on a regular basis to get noticed and get better? They leave school and go to play on Jr. teams like in the USHL.

The coaches go to hundreds of games every year. You think they should go to more games just to be seen. Do you know for sure that they never attend any high school games in North Dakota? Maybe people just don't see them. If a coach is attending a game, or even part of a game, they are there to scout players and not to be seen. Maybe the coaches have decided that it is more efficient to watch the top players play against other top players. Even if there was a single top player playing in a high school game, what is a coach going to learn by watching them play against a lower class of competition? It is difficult to learn how good a player can be if they are playing against weak competition. It is kind of a waste of time to try and evaluate a player under those conditions. It is a better use of the coaches time to scout those players if they are playing in a higher level of competition. With all of the time that the coaches put in during the season, it is unreasonable to want them to go to more games just to be seen, if they don't have a really good reason to be at that game.

All very good points. Hockey is a year round sport now and the coaches have many opportunities to see kids other than regular season games. Most of the girls in North Dakota play on summer travel teams as well and from what I understand do very well. That being said, girls hockey in the state is still at the stage of getting off the ground so comparing it to the boys is not apples to apples to apples. Girls hockey in North Dakota is just a differnent animal altogether.

All very good points. Hockey is a year round sport now and the coaches have many opportunities to see kids other than regular season games. Most of the girls in North Dakota play on summer travel teams as well and from what I understand do very well. That being said, girls hockey in the state is still at the stage of getting off the ground so comparing it to the boys is not apples to apples to apples. Girls hockey in North Dakota is just a differnent animal altogether.

That is part of my point. The girls game isn't nearly at the same level as boys hockey in North Dakota. The coaches can be productive by attending boys games. They probably aren't going to get a lot out of attending girls high school games. They are better off going to catch the best North Dakota players at camps or other outside competition. The hockey coaches put in a lot of time during the season, both working on coaching the team and traveling for recruiting. Expecting them to attend games just to be seen would have to be added to the rest of their schedule. I would rather have them concentrate on making the team better, and let them decide when they are going to watch individual players.

Nice to see assistant womens coach Fabian down here in Plymouth checking out Team North Dakota and the other 4 teams here. Scouts from everywhere in the the country especially on the boys side. Even coach Sandelin is here doing his own scouting with many other assistant coaches from different teams.

This previous quote would suggest that they are indeed taking a look when they can combine recruiting for other players and seeing the North Dakota girls against a higher level of competition as 82Sioux Guy suggests.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here ever go to the games? I went to one years ago when a girl who sat next to me in a history class played. BBBBBBBOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNGGGG!!!!!!! I did also attend a few women's softball games because the pitcher was in a class with me. That was much more enjoyable to watch than the hockey game. Though I do consider them an extreme waste of money. I know UND has to have these women's teams but I still think it is a waste of money. I will say the same thing about baseball, golf, tennis, swimming, etc..

I went to one years ago

That's the key right there. Things have changed over the past 2 seasons. The caliber of players has changed drastically, starting with the Lamoureux twins. I'm not comparing it to the men's game because you won't see the big hits or that kind of speed, but there is plenty of physical play on the ice, again starting with the twins.

That's the key right there. Things have changed over the past 2 seasons. The caliber of players has changed drastically, starting with the Lamoureux twins. I'm not comparing it to the men's game because you won't see the big hits or that kind of speed, but there is plenty of physical play on the ice, again starting with the twins.

Yeah but even the Olympics are boring as hell.

Does anyone here ever go to the games? I went to one years ago when a girl who sat next to me in a history class played. BBBBBBBOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNGGGG!!!!!!! I did also attend a few women's softball games because the pitcher was in a class with me. That was much more enjoyable to watch than the hockey game. Though I do consider them an extreme waste of money. I know UND has to have these women's teams but I still think it is a waste of money. I will say the same thing about baseball, golf, tennis, swimming, etc..

I usually go to 1 or 2 a year. It is a different game than the men's game, so it depends on what you are interested in watching. As was mentioned, you don't see the big hits. And the skill level isn't the same as the men's game. But it is usually very competitive. The skill level has gotten much better the last few years, especially with the twins. You can see some very good plays. And at times it seems like there is more team play rather than individual plays. Bottom line is that it is much better than it probably was when you attended a game, but it may or may not be your cup of tea.

I usually go to 1 or 2 a year. It is a different game than the men's game, so it depends on what you are interested in watching. As was mentioned, you don't see the big hits. And the skill level isn't the same as the men's game. But it is usually very competitive. The skill level has gotten much better the last few years, especially with the twins. You can see some very good plays. And at times it seems like there is more team play rather than individual plays. Bottom line is that it is much better than it probably was when you attended a game, but it may or may not be your cup of tea.

I think more like not my cup of tea. I think I am so brainwashed as to what hockey is I can not watch women's hockey. Funny thing though is I prefer women's basketball over men's basketball. I can watch the women play all day long but would leave before the men's game. Where I think most people would watch the men's game first.