SiouxSports.com Forum

2010-2011 Season

sioux2013

Men’s Basketball adds Philippe to coaching staffI have said before that I think UND should recruit more in Canada. Hopefully, Philippe will be the one to open that pipeline.

Hopefully, this will be huge for recruiting, especially for the mid-major bound player. Basketball has been making strides within Canadian cities, notably within their large immigrant communities. A player can even take Canadian Studies now at UND! With Division I basketball apparently not an option for Canadian schools for the forseeable future (UBC has seemingly given up on NCAA membership after it found it would be required to pass American accreditation reviews), UND needs to establish itself as a destination college for Canadian DI athletes in all sports. A name like Toews doesn't hurt that cause. :D

SDSU has recruited Canada and is playing the NCAA's once in four-year foreign tour in Winnipeg in September, which helps give the team valuable extra practice and allows recruits to play in front of home fans. Would like to see UND do the same, maybe in Toronto or other Ontario cities, once some athletes have been recruited and established on the team.

Welcome, Coach Philippe. I'm not expecting anything even as optimistic as a 15 win season this year, but if we lose, we had better be in more of the games we lose... at least. I'm thinking 11 wins. Who's going to score for us? Big, Big Question. Sorry Sophmores last year as rs freshmen you got to cut some slack, but we can't just have a glance of ability from time to time this year...we need consistent contributions. No pressure, of course.

Fort Wayne: IPFW Schedule Difficult

Nov. 23 - @ North Dakota

The trip to Grand Forks is wretched. It's 30 minutes from nowhere. Fife told me his players' mental toughness will overcome any physical exhaustion caused by this type of travel. Last year, IPFW dropped some games that it should have won; not many, but some. To have a magical 20-win season, the Dons have to win games like this one and the SIU-Edwardsville games. Have to. IPFW gets it done

@Nebraska on Jan 2nd

Link

Sioux fans will be treated to top-notch competition in '10-11

It's not a complete release of the schedules but it has the dates for the home games.

So far we know:

Nov. 12 Waldorf College

Nov. 16 @ Wisconsin

Nov. 19 Sac State

Nov. 23 IPFW

Dec. 3, 4 and 5 @ Idaho, Monmouth and Eastern Michigan

Dec. 11 @ NDSU

Dec. 14 Mayville State

Dec. 30 SD Mines

Jan. 13 Minot State*

Jan. 15 South Dakota*

Jan. 20 Utah Valley*

Jan. 27 UT-Pan American*

Jan. 29 Houston Baptist*

Feb. 26 NJIT*

Feb. 28 Chicago State*

* double header

Montana

@ Nebraska

@ Northern Iowa

@ Northern Colorado

@ Chicago State

@ NJIT

@ HBU

@ UTPA

@ UVU

@ USD

The article says they have 12 of 13 home games scheduled so I am assuming that the 13th home game is the Montana game that bin referenced.

Schedule out

No Montana on the schedule (did they defer the trip to GF until next year?), but La Tech is on it and is at home. Longwood and Sac State are the other newly released DI teams at home.

La Tech and N Colo both have scheduling issues during conference season due to 9-team conferences, so nice to see their scheduling quirks being used as opportunities (like mixing in the Greeley trip with Utah Valley).

Good schedule for where the Sioux are in the program. As the release stated, the schedule is ideal as far as minimizing lost class time. Very efficient use of time and resources: no trip out of the time zone or down south without at least two games scheduled.

Wish they would spell Sacramento correct. ;)

I was wondering about Montana myself. I guess nothing specifically addressed about them. I was thinking that even though the roster is still young... it would be disappointing if this team didn't finish higher in the Great West standings this year. From what I saw of Great West teams this past year, I didn't consider any teams except USD to be all that good and I don't think anyone is going to improve that much more this year. Anyone heard if Archer is back from his knee injury yet? He injured it in January and this would basically be 7 months which might be a little early...I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

The home South Dakota game was originally scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 15 but it now shows on the schedule as Sunday, Jan. 16 at 1:00 and 3:00. This just happens to be the same weekend that the hockey team has the Gophers at home.

Should we take this as a sign that they are planning another Meltdown at the Ralph? I don't see why else they couldn't have just left the games at 1:00 and 3:00 on Saturday in the Betty. But it would be tough for the team to go into Sunday games in the Ralph having not practiced or played on the court in the Ralph. So should we assume that they are planning on playing the Minot State double-header on Thursday in the Ralph, tear down for Fri. and Sat. hockey and then setting the court back up for USD on Sunday?

As we are searching for conferences, it would be great to show off the Ralph as a viable basketball facility. And getting the set-up crew some practice with transitioning from one to the other would be good.

Does anyone know what time of the day the hockey team holds their usual practice? would it be possible to have morning and/or afternoon hockey practice on Thursday and still get the floor set up in time for a 6 o'clock game that same day? We don't really want to be messing with hockey practice the day before the Minnesota series.

Just thinking out loud. Anyone hear about any games in the Ralph this year?

The home South Dakota game was originally scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 15 but it now shows on the schedule as Sunday, Jan. 16 at 1:00 and 3:00. This just happens to be the same weekend that the hockey team has the Gophers at home.

Should we take this as a sign that they are planning another Meltdown at the Ralph? I don't see why else they couldn't have just left the games at 1:00 and 3:00 on Saturday in the Betty. But it would be tough for the team to go into Sunday games in the Ralph having not practiced or played on the court in the Ralph. So should we assume that they are planning on playing the Minot State double-header on Thursday in the Ralph, tear down for Fri. and Sat. hockey and then setting the court back up for USD on Sunday?

As we are searching for conferences, it would be great to show off the Ralph as a viable basketball facility. And getting the set-up crew some practice with transitioning from one to the other would be good.

Does anyone know what time of the day the hockey team holds their usual practice? would it be possible to have morning and/or afternoon hockey practice on Thursday and still get the floor set up in time for a 6 o'clock game that same day? We don't really want to be messing with hockey practice the day before the Minnesota series.

Just thinking out loud. Anyone hear about any games in the Ralph this year?

I wouldn't assume that they are going to have the South Dakota games in the Ralph just because they are switching them to Sunday. They might have decided that it would be easier for the staff or the facility to hold the games on Sunday rather than the day of a Gopher game. Doing basketball at 1 & 3 in the Betty plus hockey at 7 might be a challenge on the first weekend back to school for the students. Or maybe South Dakota has a conflict and needed to move it. But it is definitely possible that they have basketball in the Ralph on Sunday.

I helped with the switch from hockey to basketball one time. It took at least 4 or 5 hours with a pretty good size crew. I'm sure that the switch back takes about the same time. Plus having the basketball court over the ice isn't really great for the ice so I doubt that they would do that on Thursday before the Gopher series (although the new ice equipment might make a difference).

Should we take this as a sign that they are planning another Meltdown at the Ralph?

I guess its possible but I think its much more likely that they didn't want to host both events on the same day. Any other hockey opponent (with maybe the exception of Denver), they probably go ahead and host on the same day. But the Minnesota series probably needs the full attention of the staff. Not to mention that the USD games should be some of the most highly attended basketball games. Putting them on the same day as the Gophers could take a sizeable chunk of people away from the games.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...