SiouxSports.com Forum

Who has a HD TV ?

Fetch

Like DS said, it all depends on a couple factors:

A) Is it being broadcast live in HD?

B) Was it filmed in HD? (most local programming, older shows, and some smaller channels still film in standard definition...so even if you watch the program on a channel labeled as "HD", it will only be of SD quality)

Also, on a side note (someone may have mentioned this already), but HDTV shows are only broadcast in 720p...not true HD which is 1080p. It's still better than SD, but not quite what your TV is capable of if you have a 1080p TV. A blu-ray movie is 1080p, so if you watch one of them, it should be higher quality than even HD television.

Also, ScottM, it doesn't matter which plasma TV you buy when it comes to plasma and glare. They all have glass screens, meaning they also produce glare. I think the main difference in a premium brand vs. a lower brand is the quality of the bulb. A lot of TV's probably share all the same components internally, but the bulb difference is the main part. That difference being how long they typically last...or so I've read. A little research might be in order. :)

Thanks, DS & Big for the info. My HDTV is 720p, not 1080p, and I am adjusting to it; last night I thought pretty much everything I watched looked great. I'll be using the DVR for the first time tonight to record the hockey game and I'll be shopping for a Blu-Ray player this weekend.

Thanks, DS & Big for the info. My HDTV is 720p, not 1080p, and I am adjusting to it; last night I thought pretty much everything I watched looked great. I'll be using the DVR for the first time tonight to record the hockey game and I'll be shopping for a Blu-Ray player this weekend.

Blu-ray players have become relatively inexpensive compared to what they've been. But, if you are willing to spend just a touch more money, I'd get a PlayStation 3 for a blu-ray player, even if I wouldn't game on it. They are actually one of the best blu-ray players on the market, and if you connect it to the internet, it will continue to remain updated through Sony's software updates. Beyond that, it also plays DVD's, CD's, data discs...it can be used as a mp3 player, internet browser, video player, picture viewer, all of which you can save directly to the console itself, so you never have to keep putting in the same discs over and over.

• 8 years later...

Sorry about digging up an ancient thread,  but I just realized what was missing around here, has Dave K been 86'd?

Has he ever bought a HDTV?

How about a flatscreen?

Did he pick a new team when the Sioux name was retired?

So many questions....??

4 minutes ago, jodcon said:

Sorry about digging up an ancient thread,  but I just realized what was missing around here, has Dave K been 86'd?

How about a flatscreen?

So many questions....??

He has a few accounts that have been banned as far as I know.

7 minutes ago, jodcon said:

How about a flatscreen?

So many questions....??

If the Penguins make any sort of run look for him under a new account. 

Doubt it. 

Doubt it. 

The Gophers.  

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Them and Penn State. 

What a little sh*tbird. Not really surprised I guess, he'd do anything out of spite.

Funny thing is we also have a guy who's had about 15 screen names banned, at least he seems to be a real fan but doesn't play well with others. 

2 hours ago, jodcon said:

How about a flatscreen?

So many questions....??

DaveK... Didn't he reappear under the name Kevad?  I mean nobody was going to figure that one out.

4 hours ago, jodcon said:

What a little sh*tbird. Not really surprised I guess, he'd do anything out of spite.

Funny thing is we also have a guy who's had about 15 screen names banned, at least he seems to be a real fan but doesn't play well with others. 

He went to GPL and they pretty much ignored him.

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

DaveK left here and went to GPL and the average IQ of both boards went up. 

Sometimes addition by subtraction works in the world. I know it would if I could subtract my wife from her credit card.

54 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

Back on topic... why would anyone spend the money on HD? Complete waste of money. 50” rear projection sd TV is where it’s at. 

You forgot "Go Sioux and Penguins" but a solid post nevertheless.

But I will throw in that I saw a 70" Vizio 4k in Walmart for $699 a couple weeks ago, I'm a little surprised how fast the prices have come back on those, although there is a new, cooler version out for about $1500.

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

DaveK left here and went to GPL and the average IQ of both boards went up. 

Thank you to the folks who up-voted that post. You must've done the math and recognized what that really says. ;):D 

• Upvote 1

Looking for something to watch on that HD TV?

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast and he was mentioning this documentary about hillbilly's on all these pills constantly whacked out of their mind.

It's produced by Johnny Knoxville and Co. If nothing else, it's highly entertaining.