SiouxSports.com Forum

Who has a HD TV ?

Fetch

Just get yourself one of these (when it comes out):

samsungudtv-lg.jpg

82"

2160p (4 times great resolution than a 1080p tv)

What you'd use it for? I dunno, it wouldn't look any better than what's already available because nothing is shown in 2160p, but you can say you have the best! :)

There may not be a lot of studios investing in 2160p cameras right away, but certainly you can get computer generated video a that resolution (video games, for example) and I wouldn't be surprised if consumer still cameras (SLRs) will be able to shoot that resolution (if they don't already).

i have a samsung 42 plasma in 720. I have a friend w/ the identical tv in 1080. Nobody has been able to tell the difference. It all depends on viewing distance and what your into.

I love mine, no complaints. Agree if you have windows get LCD>

The only way you could tell a difference is on a blue ray (or some video games). HD channels are mostly in 1080i (not 1080p), which are converted to 720p in 720p and 1080p televisions. So getting the 1080p makes no sense unless you watch a lot of blue ray movies. 720p sets appear to be getting fazed out though. I suppose 1080p sets do not cost much more to make, but retailers make more on them. Everything I have read and been told is that television will not be going to 1080p anytime soon because of the extra bandwith needed, not that i have any clue what that means.

My plasma is in my basement, which has an egress window, but still does not let in too much light, so glare has never been an issue for me.

The only way you could tell a difference is on a blue ray (or some video games). HD channels are mostly in 1080i (not 1080p), which are converted to 720p in 720p and 1080p televisions. So getting the 1080p makes no sense unless you watch a lot of blue ray movies. 720p sets appear to be getting fazed out though. I suppose 1080p sets do not cost much more to make, but retailers make more on them. Everything I have read and been told is that television will not be going to 1080p anytime soon because of the extra bandwith needed, not that i have any clue what that means.

My plasma is in my basement, which has an egress window, but still does not let in too much light, so glare has never been an issue for me.

Nothing inherently wrong with 720p, it's just that none of the set manufacturers could risk losing a marketing edge by not selling 1080p, even though that signal is not broadcast over the air (and thus none of the TV studios shoot in it).

Picture quality up just as good as any lcd, but not as bright during the day time is about the only "issue" you can spend more money and get higher Lumens meaning an even brighter picture. That one is a Optima HD65. Type it into google and tons of reviews about it. It's one of the more popular projectors for that price range.

And yes you need a screen to project it onto. Anything from a $5 4x8 painted white piece of drywall to $100 pull down screen.

And pray the bulb doesn't burn out before you are ready to replace it.

I have a regular projector (not the one pictured) and the replacement bulb is $300. My projector is an Epson 83+ (as my school's tech page lists it) and it regularly sells for $580 (or so my school district has us paying). Now, since that is a government entity dictating what we have to purchase (and probably where too), I'm not certain that the bulb or the projector is fairly priced in today's market but....

I looked up the Optoma HD65 replacement bulb and it is at $161 or so.

That's almost 25% of the price of the projector. Better than my school's projector, but not much...

And yeah, my school is getting ripped off, but that's public schooling and government contracts for you.

• 9 months later...

I own this.

720p. 1600 Lumens. DLP.

I like it cause its portable and only $650.

Its hard watching anything less than a 100" tv now :(

To bring up an old topic, but I love showing off my projector. :love:

Here's a picture of me watching the Sioux beat Wisconsin in High Definition on the 100" "TV" in my apartment! :D

lanceprojector3.gif

And a couple Sioux fans doing the "terrorist fist jab" in the background. ;)

(maybe I should have combed my hair)

I bought an HDTV yesterday. I live in a tiny, tiny house and a 32" screen is plenty for me. Otherwise, it would be like being in the front row at an IMAX! The cable company is coming tomorrow for the DVR install so I can view channels in HD that are available in HD. I'm sure this is dumbing it down for most readers but it was news to me: the local cable company provides a handful of "in the clear" (free) HD channels. KVLY in HD is the one I watched last night and the picture for Sunday Night Football was amazing. Until you are receiving and paying for HD programming with a DVR or HD receiver, the other channels you receive are going to look like crap because of the difference in resolution. The signal is coming into the TV in standard def and the TV is showing it in high def. As a result, those channels look worse than on the old CRT set. The cable guy cannot get to my house fast enough to work his high def magic.

The set I bought is a Panasonic 32" LCD, 720p. It was only $330 and I think it was just right given my circumstances. The circumstances of being cheap and living in a small space.

Anyone know of a place where a guy can check out the DLP TV's vs the LEDs or Plasmas in or around the Red River Valley? I went to Best Buy yesterday with the hopes of comparing, but they didn't even have any DLP's in stock, only LED, LCD, and Plasma. The largest available was a 65" Plasma. I'd really like to pull the trigger on that 82", but don't want to be disappointed with the picture if I have to have it ordered in.

Anyone know of a place where a guy can check out the DLP TV's vs the LEDs or Plasmas in or around the Red River Valley? I went to Best Buy yesterday with the hopes of comparing, but they didn't even have any DLP's in stock, only LED, LCD, and Plasma. The largest available was a 65" Plasma. I'd really like to pull the trigger on that 82", but don't want to be disappointed with the picture if I have to have it ordered in.

I could never buy a Plasma. The glare would drive me crazy.

Agreed. There are more issues with Plasma tv's than LCD's. You get dead pixels easier, they have burn-in, glare issues, heat issues, use more power, etc...

The only nicer thing that USED to hold true about plasma's were their refresh rate, they had a deeper black, and you could make them a bigger size eaisier. However, LCD technologies have all but erased those issues for the most part when it comes to buying a new LCD.

My next tv will be 3D, but I'm not jumping the gun. The technology will be coming out where you don't need glasses, even though it's probably a good 5-8 years away most likely. But, by then, 3D will also be so widespread that it might actually make sense to own one.

It really depends on the room where you have the TV. I have mine set in the corner in the living room of a house that was built in the 30s, so you have 1-2 smallish windows and the room is generally darker, depending on any additional lighting. I generally have no problems with "glare". Then again, I didn't skimp and went with Panasonic's best offering a couple of years ago. If I was shopping today, I would have no problems looking at an LCD or LED as well, since both seemed to have matched plasma's inherent advantages, although neither seem to have fully addressed "off-angle" viewing.

I know I'm showing myself to be a real techno-boob, but could someone help me out? Am I correct in my conclusion that even on the cable company's HD channels, not all the programming is high def? Some shows, some commercials even, look better than others in Midcontinent's Grand Forks area high def tier of channels (the 600's). Is a show really in HD only when it's on an HD channel AND the picture being broadcast carries that little HD logo?

I know I'm showing myself to be a real techno-boob, but could someone help me out? Am I correct in my conclusion that even on the cable company's HD channels, not all the programming is high def? Some shows, some commercials even, look better than others in Midcontinent's Grand Forks area high def tier of channels (the 600's). Is a show really in HD only when it's on an HD channel AND the picture being broadcast carries that little HD logo?

Like DS said, it all depends on a couple factors:

A) Is it being broadcast live in HD?

B) Was it filmed in HD? (most local programming, older shows, and some smaller channels still film in standard definition...so even if you watch the program on a channel labeled as "HD", it will only be of SD quality)

Also, on a side note (someone may have mentioned this already), but HDTV shows are only broadcast in 720p...not true HD which is 1080p. It's still better than SD, but not quite what your TV is capable of if you have a 1080p TV. A blu-ray movie is 1080p, so if you watch one of them, it should be higher quality than even HD television.

Also, ScottM, it doesn't matter which plasma TV you buy when it comes to plasma and glare. They all have glass screens, meaning they also produce glare. I think the main difference in a premium brand vs. a lower brand is the quality of the bulb. A lot of TV's probably share all the same components internally, but the bulb difference is the main part. That difference being how long they typically last...or so I've read. A little research might be in order. :)

I have a 42" plasma in my basement bar. It works very well down there, but it is one of the darker rooms in the house. 2 windows and they are on the north side under about a 18" overhang. I do think if I had it in an upstairs room that glare would be a problem. It is not a high end TV (bought at Pamida a couple years ago on a black Friday special) but is is great in that room. I think you have to be sure and get the right TV for the room and I would agree a plasma is not a good choice for every room. As for the heat issue.....my basement is a fairly cool area of the house, so heat is welcomed.

I have an LG 60" inch plasma and it has been great. Many people always try to scare you when it comes to Plasmas but if you simply do your research you'll see that Plasma technology has improved a lot. I know just as many people who have had a fair share of problems with LED's/LCD's.

I highly recommend checking out www.avsforum.com, great message board to check out when TV shopping. It helped me when I decided to purchase a plasma. I was initially wary considering all the bad things but checking that board out, lifted the wariness.