SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickle Trophy

Bisonfan1234

I'm not so sure that a D1AA beating a D2 team is a foregone conclusion. The greatest thing about college sports is the EMOTION of the game (see Hawaii Loa beating Ralph Sampson and company in the early 80's). Eventually NDSU will be getting more and better athletes to play football for them, but because of where they are located (nothing against North Dakota) they will still get a certain type of athlete because kids at 18 want to go as far away from home as reasonable. I'm in Alaska and we see the same thing...most kids don't want to have to warm theie car up for 30 minutes to drive 2 miles to get to school- they would rather throw on some shorts and rollerblade to class. Of course after saying that, I realize that my child chose Grand Forks over Oregon, Washington, Reno and california to play football and hopefully attend class occasionally. BUT he's a lineman so that must count for something. I sure hate to see this rivalry go away because, even though I have only been associated with it for a couple of years it sure makes for some good trash talkin....Go Sioux!!!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND,

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that Chris chose North Dakota because I have only met great people there. Wish I could be at the game, but somebody has to work. My wife and two sons are there to watch their brother play. I hope it's a great game and both teams come out of it healthy. On a recruiting note I coach high school ball up here and I have gotten some of the local kids to send tape at the request of coach Lennon. As far as coaching goes, this game can be made as complicated as you want, but a smart coach directs the kids a little and hopefully gets out of their way so they can play the game. Coaches get way too much credit and way too much blame. Go Sioux!!! See you Nov 1

Now the Nickel will stay in Grand Forks where it belongs.

Sioux football : If you can't beat 'em, go running to a different division with your tails between your legs and whine because they won't play you with a stacked deck.

Why would we want to play a lowly D2 program? We're already scheduling D1-AA's best.