SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Bison

CoteauRinkRat

That will probably be the deciding factor in the game--whether NDSU can run on the Sioux.  If they can't, then UND has an excellent chance to win.  It has been a number of years since NDSU has really run successfully against the Sioux.  It really never happened with Gordon running ball (no 100 yard games and no td's), which is quite remarkable when you think about it.  And I'm not sure that the Bison offense is really any better than it was during the Babich era, excluding last year, although it does seem to be more diversified.  I would assume that the Sioux will make it a priority to stop the run and make Stauss beat them.  Considering the relative struggles of the NDSU offense for much of this year, I wouldn't be shocked at all if they have problems running the ball on UND.

UND hasn't run the ball successfully against pretty much anyone, although they have shown the ability to win anyway.  If the passing game is working, however, it may open up some running lanes.

O.K., I know it's poor form to quote myself, but...what the heck. NDSU--37 carries for 76 yards (2.05 yards per carry). That was the big question, could UND stop the run? The answer was a resounding yes. This was at least the fifth game in a row against the Bison where UND has allowed less than 2.5 yards per carry. Bohl and his staff are almost certainly a big improvement over the Babich regime, but it looks like it wasn't all Babich's fault that the Bison have had trouble running on the Sioux.

BTW, I was wrong about Gordon--he did have one 100 yard game against the Sioux (2000), but never did get a touchdown in his career against UND.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For UND to win I expect they'll have to play textbook defense and give up no plays over 30 yard plus they'll have to be at least +2 in turnovers. And did I mention that the offense can have no more than four "three and out" drives for the game?

"textbook defense"? With less than 80 rushing yards allowed, sure; but NDSU passed for more yards than UND. That doesn't qualify.

"give up no plays over 30 yards"? How about four! 31 to Steffes, 31 to Burrell, 39 to Burrell, 36 to Johnson. That doesn't qualify.

"at least +2 in turnovers"? Only +1.

"no more than four "three and out" drives for the game"? Well, I got one right. UND went three and punt three times on the day.

My next prognostication is that from now on I'll let UND92,96 or jimdahl prognosticate. :(:D