SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Bison

CoteauRinkRat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDSUcks will take an early lead and UND will comeback led by either the Red River Rifle or Bowencamp or maybe the Cogswell Cannon will be given one more game of eligibility, it doesn't matter. The Sioux will win, maintain the Nickel, laugh at all thestupid Cowbell ringers and celebrate mightily. The Blundering Turds will go back to Fargo crying all the way.

It's no secret that UND has not run the ball very successfully this year, and that NDSU has done a very good job of stopping the run. It's also clear that UND can throw the ball quite well, and that NDSU has been thrown upon by some teams with success. Therefore, I would look for the Sioux to run the ball just enough to keep the defense honest. If the Sioux are going to score enough points to win, it will be via the pass. I would throw at NDSU corner Bobby Babich at every opportunity. He's not tall, and he's not particularly fast by NCC corner standards. A Babich-on-Lueck matchup, in particular, would appear to be a big advantage for UND. I imagine NDSU will really try to get after the quarterback, so believe it or not a traditional screen pass (NOT a bubble screen) may be effective in slowing down the pass rush.

Another interesting question will be whether NDSU tries to throw more often than they have been. Again, it's no secret that UND has been thrown upon, but that the Sioux have done a nice job of stopping the run with the exception of the first half against SCSU. Thus far, NDSU has been primarily a running team. I don't believe the Bison will be able to make a living running the ball against the Sioux (although obviously that remains to be seen), so the play of Tony Stauss will be a key. He is apparently throwing mostly 0-to-5 yard passes, so his completion percentage is good, but his yardage and touchdowns are not. I haven't seen him play aside from the second half against Montana, so I don't know how much he has been asked to throw downfield, but I would expect that he may have to on Saturday.

Although many, and perhaps most impartial observers would probably consider NDSU a favorite in this game, I do like UND's chances. This will be NDSU's first true road test since the second game of the year, UND does seem to match up pretty well with what NDSU likes to do offensively, and the Sioux offense can possibly exploit what is arguably a Bison weakness by throwing the ball. I expect a low-scoring game that will probably be decided by a field goal either way.

UND 92,96

Everybody has thrown a lot of yards against NDSU because they can't run. SDSU put up 259 throught the air, with 0 points on the board. Tusculum put up 279 yards passing and only scored 7 against the NDSU second and third stringers in the fourth quarter.

Whether or not the defense goes after the QB is another story. Against UNO, there were only two or three blitzes the entire game, usually with only one extra man.

UND 92,96

Everybody has thrown a lot of yards against NDSU because they can't run. SDSU put up 259 throught the air, with 0 points on the board. Tusculum put up 279 yards passing and only scored 7 against the NDSU second and third stringers in the fourth quarter.

Whether or not the defense goes after the QB is another story. Against UNO, there were only two or three blitzes the entire game, usually with only one extra man.

I'm sure you're probably correct, and really it's the same with the UND defense. Running against the Sioux is generally pretty futile, but some teams have been able to get yards through the air. I guess the difference is that UND has also given up points via the air, at least in the first halves of the past two games. I still would try to exploit NDSU's corners, though. I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced that Babich and company are any better than average at best.

From the GF Herald-

NDSU FOOTBALL: Bison put it all together

Omaha wide receiver Ryan Krause had 601 yards receiving entering the game. He finished with just 31 yards on four catches.

The Mavericks were unable to take advantage of nearly half a foot of height advantage over the Bison defensive backs. An example came at the start of the third quarter. Essler stepped in front of a lofted Masek pass on Omaha's opening drive and intercepted it.

Note: NDSU had three INT's vs. UNO. Two were plays made by the DB's, i.e. they had position on the reciever and outjumped them for the ball. None of the INT's were overthrown passes etc. - one was by a DE on a quick out(He made the same play vs. Montana)

The difference, to me, is that UNO is not a true passing team. I still consider them a running team that is able to complete passes because most teams cheat to stop the run. NDSU didn't have to cheat, although UNO did get some rushing yards. Krause has good numbers, but he is by far their best receiver and I suspect that there was a good deal of doubling of him. At least, that's what I would do as a defensive coordinator.

Essler is a nice player at free safety, but until I see Babich, or Walter if he's in there, consistently cover somebody one-on-one with my own eyes, I am a skeptic. The Sioux don't rely on any one receiver, which makes doubling more difficult, and I suspect that there will be plenty of one-on-one opportunities. Whether those opportunites are won by the offense or defense remains to be seen, but I do think that an offense with a number of tall and capable receivers will be able to win its share of those battles.

Here's my thought to ponder:

We've now gone two straight games with large deficits at halftime. We've done so with two different QBs at the helm. Yes, we came back to win both of those games, but, at least with SCSU, we really should have lost that game. So, going up against NDSU, we're not going to see a choking performance like the last two.

I'm not saying we're going to get slaughtered. I'm saying this:

With 2 QBs experiencing the same thing, that tells me that it may not be the QB that is having the trouble running the offense. If we get blown out of the water at NDSU, and UND was a professional team and you all were the GM/Pres of the UND team, would you keep the O Coordinator, assuming he's the one telling the QB what play to run?

Let's talk about the UND attack. Their favorite first half passing play vs SCSU was the screen pass. Now, being that NDSU protects well against the run, I would expect to see a LOT of screen passes. What does this mean for points for UND? That's right, we're not going to get very far. What won us the game vs SCSU was the ability to throw down the field. I would say that that is the ONLY way we'll even score points against NDSU barring we don't recieve gifts from the Bison and allow penalties to take us into field goal range on 4th down.

I admit being a hockey fan more than a football fan, but let's face it: If the hockey team was continuously down by 4+ goals after 1.5 periods of play, wouldn't you feel like a change is in order?

NDSU is good this year and I want to see them get annihilated, but darn it! Screen passes don't work! ENough with the stupid screen passes!

If we play the same type of football that we have against NDSU that we did in the first halves of the SCSU and SDSU football games, I'm seriously doubting we'll make any sort of comeback. These guys are for real. We're not going to have Babich or Hagar to rely on in making stupid calls.

NDSUcks will take an early lead and UND will comeback led by either the Red River Rifle or Bowencamp or maybe the Cogswell Cannon will be given one more game of eligibility, it doesn't matter. The Sioux will win, maintain the Nickel, laugh at all thestupid Cowbell ringers and celebrate mightily. The Blundering Turds will go back to Fargo crying all the way.

:D

NDSU is good this year and I want to see them get annihilated, but darn it! Screen passes don't work! ENough with the stupid screen passes!

I believe those screen passes are part of the reason UND won a national championship, but teams caught on a LONG time ago. :D

I believe those screen passes are part of the reason UND won a national championship, but teams caught on a LONG time ago. :0

The slow screen actually sounded like it was working against SDSU. I agree with UND92,96 that NDSU's CB's haven't really been tested by a true passing team (SCSU, for example). It seems like the Sioux actually have the right plays to exploit NDSU's weaknesses. UND92,96: as a pretty casual football fan, myself, I'm curious about your emphasis on using a traditional screen rather than a bubble screen against a heavy pass rush; I was under the impression that was the only appropriate time to use the bubble screen because you can often get 3-5 yards if the pass coverage is giving up the underneath zone (of course, that's only true if we've established a non-screen passing game).

NDSU fans in the off-season were predicting a big shift in the Bison from the run to the pass, which we haven't really seen yet. I'll be interested to see if UND's D can contain arguably the best running game it's seen this season; if so, I think we stand a chance. I'm certainly not disputing that NDSU should be favored by most impartial observers, but I think the Sioux strengths match up with the Bison weaknesses pretty well, making a Sioux win a possibility. A low scoring affair does seem likely (my prediction of which guarantees at least 40 points per team :D )

Does a 5-1 SAC team in Tusculum count as facing a passing offense? Their base offense is a 4 wide set, they're averaging over 340 yards passing a game, and almost 40 points a game. Here's the link to their stats-Tusculum Stats

Jim,

It wasn't a big shift in passing Bison fans were expecting, other than having more passing attempts. We knew it was a WCO that would be implemented, so we knew it would be a short, controlled passing scheme that would also have plenty of rushing. It was just the refreshing change of no more iso-left, iso-left, if it's third and long chuck it deep passing schemes and playcalling.

Mentioning Tusculum, this week's Massey Ratings has Tusculum just one place ahead of Mesa State.

If UND only plays one half like in the last two games (and maybe more considering Augie and the non-conference game performances), UND is going to be in trouble because they won't be able to come back against the level of defensive play NDSU is at right now.

For UND to win I expect they'll have to play textbook defense and give up no plays over 30 yard plus they'll have to be at least +2 in turnovers. And did I mention that the offense can have no more than four "three and out" drives for the game?

Mentioning Tusculum, this week's Massey Ratings has Tusculum just one place ahead of Mesa State.

If UND only plays one half like in the last two games (and maybe more considering Augie and the non-conference game performances), UND is going to be in trouble because they won't be able to come back against the level of defensive play NDSU is at right now.

For UND to win I expect they'll have to play textbook defense and give up no plays over 30 yard plus they'll have to be at least +2 in turnovers. And did I mention that the offense can have no more than four "three and out" drives for the game?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with anything you've said, but let's not forget that aside from last week against UNO, NDSU's offense has been pretty underwhelming this year. They managed just 20 points against a terrible MSU-Mankato team, and the offense put up just 17 at home against SDSU (the other td being by the defense). NDSU will likely have just as much trouble scoring on the Sioux as vice versa, and if they were to fall behind early it will extremely difficult for them, as well.

With that being said, certainly UND has to avoid falling way behind early. The good news is probably that NDSU hasn't done much of anything offensively in the first quarter of games this year. In fact, I believe prior to last week, they hadn't scored a point in the first quarter.

Is it really any coincidence that the past two weeks, the Sioux offense only came to life in the second half after falling way behind? It would appear that the only way the playcalling gets aggressive is when there's nothing to lose. I'm not saying that UND should treat the whole game like a two-minute drill, but why not get a little aggressive in the first half, too? I think that anyone who saw the SCSU game knows that this offense can be explosive, but not by running between the tackles and throwing bubble screens--the usual first half scheme. The strength of the Sioux offense is throwing the ball and spreading it around amongst Stattleman, Ahlers, Lueck, Johnson and Grossman, with hopefully some short passes to the tight ends and Wisthoff out of the backfield. Hopefully Lennon's decision to go for the two-point conversion and the win against SDSU is a sign of a shift away from the usual ultra-conservative nature of the UND offense. This year's offensive personnel simply isn't capable of winning by being a primarily running team.

UND92,96 Posted: Oct 12 2003, 10:06 AM 

.....I would throw at NDSU corner Bobby Babich at every opportunity. He's not tall, and he's not particularly fast by NCC corner standards. A Babich-on-Lueck matchup, in particular, would appear to be a big advantage for UND. 

UND92,96 Posted on Oct 13 2003, 01:18 PM

The strength of the Sioux offense is throwing the ball and spreading it around amongst Stattleman, Ahlers, Lueck, Johnson and Grossman, with hopefully some short passes to the tight ends and Wisthoff out of the backfield.

Interesting perspective. :D

Babich has improved a lot this year. The Juco's did help in that respect, made Bobby work hard to improve. Matt Gorman is the other cornerback, with Mike Sheppard a stud a SS, and Jared Essler at FS. They have all been very solid so far. It should be a great opportunity for the defensive backfield to test their abilities against UND.

LOL

LOL

LOL!!!!

Listen to 92.96!!! Blah blah blah, your receiver is so good and Babich is so bad. GUESS WHAT? UNO has a receiver that is 6'5", runs a 4.3, and probably jumps 40". He is going to go in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft. Look how well he and UNO did against us! LOL!

If your game plan is simply going to be a couple running plays and a throw to this "super-star" then i'm predicting an other Bison blowout.

Bison 35 (a touchdown instead of 2 FG) , SUE 7

Sicatoka,

There's one minor difference between Tusculum and Mesa State. NDSU beat Tusculum by three TD's with their only score against the NDSU second and third string DB's, and UND lost to Mesa State.

UND 92,96

Aggressive playcalling would be a refereshing change in the series, but remember that the uber-conservative playbook is what shows up on the field for both teams in this series. :D