SiouxSports.com Forum

Lamoureuxs Olympic Run

Brucesky02

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monique Lamoureux's hat trick puts USA back in gold-medal game

At 20, Monique Lamoureux is one of the youngest reasons why the U.S. women's hockey team is positioned to play for the hockey gold medal.

Lamoureux, from Grand Forks, N.D., put Team USA on the board and finished with a hat trick in Monday's 9-1 Olympic semifinal victory against Sweden at Canada Hockey Place.

With a matchup against two-time defending champion Canada looming Thursday, goalie Jessie Vetter stopped 11 of 12 shots. That helped tone down a largely pro-Sweden crowd fueled by Canadians agitated by the USA's men's hockey victory Sunday against Canada.

Together, they're putting Grand Forks on the women's hockey map.

"When we were growing up, they didn't even have a girls' team there," Monique Lamoureux said. "They didn't get one until we were in middle school."

The Lamoureux sisters can thank their four older brothers for many of their skills. Jean-Philippe, 25, is a goalie in the Buffalo Sabres system; Jacques, 23, an Air Force Academy forward; Pierre-Paul, 22, a University of North Dakota student volunteer assistant coach; and Mario, 21, a North Dakota forward. They'd all play together, either on a frozen creek near their home or playing street hockey in the street.

I hate the Winter Olympics. All it does is give GF and UND a good name. :D

Which still pales in comparison to "the other school" briefly appearing in a tournament for some other oddball sport some time ago. :D

Were they in a tournament? :D I thought they their claim to fame was a 15 sec flood insurance commercial. Hmmm, how about that.......

LOL, you got that right!! AND, thanks for the tape! I got it yesterday, was all set to watch it.....no VCR! I cried, I laughed, and ,now, I will be checking out the thrift stores for a VCR.

VCR?? Is that a new thing? I have to get me one of those if it is. :D

Wouldn't they have to complete x credits in order for this to count as their transfer year? I assumed that's what they planned.

They do have to complete a certain number of credits (I don't know how many) and they have been doing so by online courses since last fall. The girls were on the radio last fall and explained the entire process. They are both good students so they didn't sound too worried about getting the work done.

While the rest of their teammates may be celebrating a little tonight with a two-day break prior to the American gold medal clash with Canada, the Lamoureux twins might be doing homework. Both are currently taking classes and must keep their grades up, as they are spending this year trying to successfully transfer to the University of North Dakota, their hometown school.

Ice Chips: Likely Canada-Russia matchup looms in men's hockey.