SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

Seems they may have way overspent on too many things at the North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Science (but definitely not Project or Money Management).

Chapman's deferred pay is going away as are a couple, what can only be described as, slush funds.

It's a long read. Enjoy.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/256085/

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gale Chapman also began receiving a stipend from the foundation in 2002. It began as $20,000 a year and has been $50,000 since 2005-06, Miller said.

The foundation initiated the salary to acknowledge the role she plays in fundraising, alumni relations and other social functions. Gale Chapman attended more than 2,000 events last year, Miller said.

Can anyone at The Forum do math?

2000 events / 366 days (last year was a leap year) is about 5.5 events per day. Seriously?

If you assume five day weeks (260 days) that's about 7.7 events per day.

Working folks out there: That'd be like counting each hour of your "40 hours/week, 50 weeks/year" job as a separate "event".

Doesn't NDSU own a suite at Newman Field?

Mrs Chapman must consider handshakes to be events?

Very convenient that the Foundation doesn't file so the compensation isn't deferred. Either it's incompetence, or purposefully planned.

Chapman can receive that money when he leaves NDSU. But last year

President Chapman and his wife declined to be interviewed for this story.

"It is what it is," Chapman said ...

Several trustees were traveling Monday and were unavailable, and others did not return calls seeking comment.

Way to step up! :(

(Didn't Kupchella get ripped by NDSU folks for being out of town and unavailable for comment during times of strife?)

I will be curious if Joe Chapman survives the mess. His image will be forever tarnished by the people of North Dakota. He is going to be remembered for the wrong reasons. It does make a person wonder. He apparently didn't think any of this would come out. Then again he probably thought it might come out, but he didn't think anyone would call him on it.

What authority did Chapman have regarding change orders on the house? Did he require/request anything from the Development Foundation?

I have not seen any reporting to answer these questions. Chapman is not talking, is anyone else? I suspect someone is going to get tossed under the bus for the house, but who?

What authority did Chapman have regarding change orders on the house? Did he require/request anything from the Development Foundation?

I have not seen any reporting to answer these questions. Chapman is not talking, is anyone else? I suspect someone is going to get tossed under the bus for the house, but who?

Kupchella

Potts :(

If there was any justice, John Q Paulsen, Chapman, etc. etc.

Chapman's personal body guard. :(

Hmmm....lets see now. Gale Chapman and JQ Paulson were in charge of the Foundations cookie jar for Joe's housing budget. I doubt that Joe could exert any authority over those two....could he??

The reporting on this story is sub-par at best. I have heard many rumors from people at NDSU and involved in the construction of the house, but have not seen much reported other than numbers. This is one of those situations where the buck had to have stopped somewhere and the Forum or some other outlet should get to the bottom of where and with whom.

In the end the Foundation is a private entity (although I would put the word quasi before private) and we will probably never know what really happened. If I was an NDSU donor I would be extremely mad.

The reporting on this story is sub-par at best. I have heard many rumors from people at NDSU and involved in the construction of the house, but have not seen much reported other than numbers. This is one of those situations where the buck had to have stopped somewhere and the Forum or some other outlet should get to the bottom of where and with whom.

In the end the Foundation is a private entity (although I would put the word quasi before private) and we will probably never know what really happened. If I was an NDSU donor I would be extremely mad.

It's not exactly private money.

Besides they had a statutory limit and wilfully ignored it. Aren't there consequences for breaking the law?

Unfortunately, this is par for the course for the "Elite" of DC, congress, state government, etc. The ND "elite" are probably just admiring him and how he was able to do all of this. Breaking the law? Pish, he was just doing what the rest of them do or wish they could. He'll get a stern talking to and then the matter will go away. If someone actually did do call him on it, his constituents would love it, but his peers would not.

I really have alot of respect for Joel Heitcamp on KFGO. He is as many of you know is a UND grad and supporter. He knows how Chapman has bullied his around the state legislature and higher ed board. Chapman in my opinion was hired by SU to do one thing make UND an after thought. As one poster on Bisonville said Chapman got everything he wanted. Now we see how the NDSU Foundation is thanking Joe. You kicked UND's ass Joe what ever you want you can have. I had a conversation with a man who has been on UND's campus for decades and he is not a looney liberal. I said to him that this campus is in jeopardy isn't it. He said I know it is.

As the population shifts to Fargo and the Bismarck areas they will have just plain and simply be able to legislate things out of UND and Grand Forks. It's already started with the new Bismarck State Energy center. Next they'll try make BSC a 4 year college. EERC was not happy about this duplication. And we know what Chapman has said about duplication. What's wrong with a little competition. Many of you on this board are Republicans and from what I have seen in the last 2 North Dakota Legislatures the Republicans are no friend to UND. Here's an example how the sneaky SOBs go about taking things from another community. 2 sessions ago in the state legislature I believe it was Tracy Potter from Bismarck he is a Democrat introduced a bill that would give Bismarck State a 4 year degree in the Energy field. As he said at the time there is a real need for these workers. So it passed in the Legisature. 2 years later they go after what they really wanted an Energy center. They must have needed that 4 years degree to work with the new Energy center.Most of the Dems voted against this. Keep in mind about a decade ago the city of Bismarck came to Grand Forks and tried to move EERC to Bismarck. Every community is out for them selves. All you have to do is stack the Higher ED board or at the Legislature in your favor and you get what you want. The sad part of it is that very few people watch what's going on or even care.

The Fargo Forum this AM reports Joe spent $22K+ to attend the Obama inauguration!! Are you kidding me? This trip included a charter flight and covered the cost of his wife AND his children.

Joe has abused his power at an unbelievable level at NDSU since he threatened to leave a couple years back and was "coaxed" to stay?! The President's housing mess, the fact that NDSU is running in the red during his reign and now this. :(

Every AM I have coffee and run into a high profile NDSU booster/contributor. Today this guy even said Joe must go! He said if Joe doesn't resign it will create a firestorm that NDSU will have a hard time putting out.

And where is the SBoHE? IF they have any spine at all they should be addressing this/these issues with Joe by noon!!

What a slap in the face to the NDSU students, who's tuition is on the rise year after year, to the underpaid (generally speaking) faculty of NDSU, and to the tax paying residents of ND, all of whom have watched and read in disbelief the rogue actions of Joe Chapman in recent years.

I know some will say well look at what he has done for NDSU. It was a foundation's money, not the universities. Does that really then get Joe off the hook?

Joe thinks so (per the Forum)..."What I've accomplished over the past 10 years speaks pretty well to what we've done (for this institution)." You think someone thinks a little too much of himself!!!:lol:

BTW...Kelly's same trip cost $2176 and his wife paid for her own airfare.

The Fargo Forum this AM reports Joe spent $22K+ to attend the Obama inauguration!! Are you kidding me? This trip included a charter flight and covered the cost of his wife AND his children.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/137078/

Joseph Chapman spent more than $22,000 in donations to North Dakota State University to take his family to President Barack Obama

One president charters; the other flies commerical.

Now, which one is the president of the absolute best collegiate flight program on earth, with the largest private aircraft fleet, and which runs an ag school.

Isn't that just mind-boggling.

One's being a steward of the public trust, the other, not so much.

Where are all the Chapman apologists at these days? They were fighting in his defense tooth and nail when the allegations about the house overruns started, now they are no where to be found.

BisonDan...your thoughts? (Don't hear much from them in our Football thread either)