SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Athletics staying on KFGO

The Sicatoka

NDSU has taken broadcasting "in-house" meaning they have to buy air time on stations for their games.

That means NDSU showed up at RadioFM with lots of money to buy the air time. And I'm sure some legislator will be asking where the money came from.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sica,

Definitely understand the one stick- DAY-AM concern. But for the most part in Fargo we were primarily one stick with KFGO, and the way I look at it... providing UND ends up there, that there shouldn't be a lot to conflict with it, no Twins, Twolves, RHawks. So one stick on hockey nights or football Saturday's should suffice-- The problem of course is if hockey and football are scheduled at the same time. That is the only negative and that did happen, although rarely, it was nice in that instance where RFM had the additional stations to accomodate us.

Why is there all this shock and horror? UND has known that NDSU and RFM had been in heavy negotiations since mid-January. Someone at UND should have been making a call to Heitkamp every week for the last 3 months to keep up on what was going down. Now if UND was getting updates from RFM and RFM told them not to worry then there is a serious ethical issue. We'll see how this all shakes out, but I sure hope UND gets their hockey games aired in the FM area.

I agree as soon as NDSU made it known that they were entering negotiations, UND should have demanded some answers.

Also, I will be very disappointed if Fasion and company don't persue Legal Action for breach of contract. And if there is no penalty than UND has to evaluate their "contracts" because it seems that there has been other cases of contracts where the "party opting out" has not suffered a great enough penalty.

People I talked too said UND fully expected to lose the KFGO contract but considering the long standing relationship they had with KFGO they just expected KFGO to at least HONOR the contract that was in place. KFGO set a very poor example of good business practice. Word gets around and that might come back top bite them some day.

It is becoming fairly clear that UND will be on WDAY from now on. Which for me will be just fine, they have a nice footprint for all to listen to. If there is a gap in coverage then UND should go out and sign up a station in that area.

This move was inevitable. For UND to be taking the exclusive rights of the biggest radio station in Fargo was strange. It only makes sense that NDSU finally figured this out.

I will be schocked if The Forum or WDAY spend a dime to cover NDSU sports on the road. The Forum coverage of Bison athletics expanded significantly after the move up. I think Bison fans will be treated to a series of comparatively small wire reports in the paper when the Bison aren't playing in Fargo. From that perspective, I think the Fargo Bison fans will regret how this was handled. Not necessarily that the radio rights left WDAY per se, but that Forum Comm wasn't given something to keep them interested in the Bison athletic fold.

The Forum needs to sell newspapers so they will continue to cover SU sports quite well but probably not at the level they have in the past!

I've been out of the loop the past few days and just had a chance to read about this. I doubt that the deal between NDSU and KFGO occurred in a vacuum. I would be surprised if Faison hadn't heard of what was going on and been working behind the scenes on contingency plans.

The lack of direct contact by KFGO to UND Athletics after a 17 year relationship is quite unprofessional. But in the end it may work out better for UND. We'll just have to wait and see.

While I am surprised that it happened the way it did, NDSU and UND could not be on radio FM at the same time. It just wouldn't work and would have probably left both schools frustrated with Radio FM.

That said, I don't know why Radio FM wasn't upfront with that from the start.

The statement from Heitkamp at the press conference was that he was very appreciative of the respectful way that the contract was ended with UND. He said that there was a great deal of class shown from UND. (from the press conf webstream)

I did not interpret the "disappointment" statement from Faison to mean upset, angry, underhanded. It seemed like there was effective communication and disclosure during the process as I've followed the situation and the statements.

However, if UND says differently (that is was underhanded), I would tend to believe the people at UND before I would believe RFM on this issue. I would change my current opinion.

I'm no expert on this, but the impression I got was that KFGO had an option on the last two years with UND and KFGO chose to walk away from it rather then exercise it. Definitely underhanded, but not illegal.

That's ridiculous. Actually do some research before posting garbage. UND wouldn't sign a three year agreement with two of those being option years. The contract was for three years because after the transition was complete, it was expected that UND could obtain better terms.

The contract language likely gave KFGO some legal way to weasel out of the contract, and conveniently announced it two business days after UND hockey was out of the playoffs. If UND had gone to the Frozen Four, the announcement wouldn't have been until much later in April. Without question, NDSU demanded it be the exclusive DI school on Radio Fargo Moorhead.

My prediction is watch for expanded UND coverage in the Forum and on WDAY radio and TV.

The contract language likely gave KFGO some legal way to weasel out of the contract, and conveniently announced it two business days after UND hockey was out of the playoffs.

My prediction is watch for expanded UND coverage in the Forum and on WDAY radio and TV.

Regarding the "legal way to weasel out", I'd say the fine print gave KFGO the legal option of walking. You are splitting hairs here. The contract either said they had an option to get out of it or they didn't. If KFGO didn't have the option of terminating, then we best find a lawyer and sue (no pun intended).

I do look for UND sports to end up at WDAY. It's pretty much a no brainer on that one.

The contract language likely gave KFGO some legal way to weasel out of the contract, and conveniently announced it two business days after UND hockey was out of the playoffs. If UND had gone to the Frozen Four, the announcement wouldn't have been until much later in April. Without question, NDSU demanded it be the exclusive DI school on Radio Fargo Moorhead.

I won't claim to know North Dakota law but my educated guess is the contract is a matter of public record. It would be interesting to get a copy and see how KFGO was able to avoid the remainder of the contract. Anyone with connections with the athletic department? Request a copy.

I'm no expert on this, but the impression I got was that KFGO had an option on the last two years with UND and KFGO chose to walk away from it rather then exercise it. Definitely underhanded, but not illegal.

This was not an option year. Clear Channel sold KFGO etc. back to Jim Ingstad in 2007 (he owned it for years prior to Clear Channel circa 2000). Since then UND has had a yearly agreement with RFM until last summer when both parties signed a 3 year contract. Obviously, there was legal language in the contract that allowed RFM to get out of the deal prior to the culmination of the contract or we wouldn't have this thread.

However, and I can't find a link or source, but IIRC Faison was interviewed earlier this year when it was announced that RFM was entering into negotiations with NDSU about being their flagship, and (paraphrasing) Faison stated that he wasn't worried because UND had just signed a 3 year deal and the apparent assumption was that with number of stations in the RFM stable that there would plenty of room for both universities.

Without question, NDSU demanded it be the exclusive DI school on Radio Fargo Moorhead.

Heitkamp stated that much as fact. And it obviously goes beyond any DI classification as RFM jettisoned Concordia today.

I do look for UND sports to end up at WDAY. It's pretty much a no brainer on that one.

I hope so, and only selfishly because I relied on the Fargo affiliate to hear broadcasts. IMO this is a bigger story than it should be, other than the fact that RFM apparently doesn't honor their contracts. KFGO was simply an affiliate of the radio network, just like KMHA in New Town or KDSR in Williston is. Their will be a new affiliate in the Fargo area in a matter of weeks.

RFM had a buyout clause with UND (for an embarassing low amount) which they excercised and payed - done deal! Life goes on...

Hopefully all the advertisers the "REAL" Bison fans spammed, shat on, and otherwiser complained too ABOUT KFGO when they thought they railroaded Mummy Joe Chapman out of a job and "promoted" UND in the Land O' ficklyBUFFOLOES - and OPENLY CALLED for Joel Heitkamps HEAD while heating up the tar and feathers will be willing to come back after the "sh*tstorm" they promised they'd raise! :lol::(

PS - Gene Taylor THANKED HIMSELF at his own press conference for landing this deal! That says a lot about what a doo-sh BAG he is!! (I'd throw in Kent State REJECT but that would just seem cruel!)

NDSU is buying radio time on RadioFM. This was all about money and only money. Nothing more.

Too bad RadioFM didn't give UND a chance on that front. Probably their loss.

That's right it's about money. If RFM was making any money with Sioux sports they would have continued the relationship.

That's right it's about money. If RFM was making any money with Sioux sports they would have continued the relationship.

Or maybe the bison are paying more money than UND was willing to pay. RFM may be making more money but its coming out of ndsu's pocket.

Wrong - where is it stated RFM lost money with UND sports? Show me.

The difference is NDSU is guaranteeing RFM more money. NDSU is the one taking all the risk and could end up losing money in the long run if they don't sell the advertising at the rates they think they can.

Will Best Buy be an advertiser for NDSU in return for all the stolen goodies from the football team?

The difference is NDSU is guaranteeing RFM more money. NDSU is the one taking all the risk and could end up losing money in the long run if they don't sell the advertising at the rates they think they can.

Will Best Buy be an advertiser for NDSU in return for all the stolen goodies from the football team?

I would say the way NDSU operates it probably is paying for this by taking money from some of the other atheltic programs on campus. Probably most of the womens sports. They are probably using apporpriated money for this as well. I believe another audit is in store regarding this deal. Will the taxpayers of ND have to pay for this contract?

That is funny :lol: