SiouxSports.com Forum

Bemidji State in the WCHA?

undchris

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the final seed went to Bemidji, they were #16. Ohio State got the last at large bid.

I know BSU was the #16 seed. The original poster said "the 16th (and final) seed." If they are one and the same, why did he repeat himself? When I hear final seed, I think last team in, and OSU was the last team in.

We did just fine under the old NCAA format.

I would actually prefer the NCAA tournament to be run like the WJC with a round robin.

Imagine this set up

Pool A

WCHA regular season champ

CCHA playoff champ

ECAC regular season champ

Hockey East Playoff champ

At large bid

Pool B

WCHA playoff Champ

CCHA regualr season champ

ECAC palyoff champ

Hockey East regular season champ

At large bid

Each team gets four round robin games played over 2 weeks

Ties settled by goal differential

unlike the WJC, we still keep the frozen 4 where:

2nd place B plays 1st place A

2nd place A plays 1st place B

There would most likely be more than 2 at large bids, because we will see dual winners.

We have more hockey games this way and have at least 10 teams make it.

We no longer have a regional format and a situation where one and done. You could have multiple host cities for the round robin play.

what happens when a regular season champ and a tournament champ are the same team? extra at-large bids?

what happens when a regular season champ and a tournament champ are the same team? extra at-large bids?

Yes, see the statement about dual winners.

This format should result in the best teams making it to the championship. No luck of the draw, etc. No bad bounce one game and you're done.

Could the WCHA create and run its own sub-conference? Sorta like European soccer. Get a bunch of teams and have two conferences under the WCHA umbrella. Could have one "power" conference and one "weak" conference. Have teams put in either the "power" or the "weak" based on the past year's performance. Or just have two divisions to the WCHA. I don't know if it would work or be reasonably or anything, but just ideas.

I can't even imagine the internal dispute to get into the same sub-conference as Minnesota. Love them or hate them, everyone will want to be in their sub-conference.

After years of thinking it would be the worst thing, I'm beginning to think the BTHC may be good for college hockey.

I agree realignment would be good for college hockey in that it would be much better to have three smaller conferences in the west rather than two huge and bloated conferences. But the solution is not to take all the most visible programs and place them in one conference, creating one super-conference and two lesser conferences. The better idea would be to balance the teams out amongst three conferences. But that will not happen because there is no governing body to make it happen. So you're right in that the only realistic way I see a realignment of the conferences is for the Big Ten to separate themselves and form their own conference. But I don't think that type of realignment would be good for college hockey.

We did just fine under the old NCAA format.

I would actually prefer the NCAA tournament to be run like the WJC with a round robin.

Imagine this set up

Pool A

WCHA regular season champ

CCHA playoff champ

ECAC regular season champ

Hockey East Playoff champ

At large bid

Pool B

WCHA playoff Champ

CCHA regualr season champ

ECAC palyoff champ

Hockey East regular season champ

At large bid

Each team gets four round robin games played over 2 weeks

Ties settled by goal differential

unlike the WJC, we still keep the frozen 4 where:

2nd place B plays 1st place A

2nd place A plays 1st place B

There would most likely be more than 2 at large bids, because we will see dual winners.

We have more hockey games this way and have at least 10 teams make it.

We no longer have a regional format and a situation where one and done. You could have multiple host cities for the round robin play.

Did the Atlantic Hockey Association disband and not tell anyone? If so, can Holy Cross become the 12th WCHA team?

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

my bad if already discuees but who are the 2 + teams that will vote against BSU at this time if anyone has that info??

For a while now, I've been trying to figure out if Bemidji State has enough votes to get in the league. From what I've gathered, the Beavers don't have the votes right now. They aren't far away, though, and it's still possible. But right now, I don't think they have the eight. I would be surprised if the league takes a vote at the April meetings. My guess is that they wait to see how things play out this summer with the possible collapse of some CCHA teams.

this has been discusses before and i think there was some sort of BS reason the gophers dont travel as they dont. 1 tourney to michigan isnt considered traveling. they never go out east, very rare to see that. i think its funny actually they dont. i loce that the sioux will play any east coast team in thier backyard and do so every year. fun to see as a sioux fan and wcha fan

Minnesota plays at Michigan and at Michigan State every other year. Not sure how you can blow that off so easy and not count that as traveling. The other years when there not in Michigan. 2006-07 went to Ohio State for two. 2004-05 Went up to Alaska and played U Mass and Alaska not conf game. Also had two at BU this year. 2002-03 went out to play New Hampshire for two. AZSIOUX, you need to get your facts straight before you blow hot air.

Minnesota plays at Michigan and at Michigan State every other year. Not sure how you can blow that off so easy and not count that as traveling. The other years when there not in Michigan. 2006-07 went to Ohio State for two. 2004-05 Went up to Alaska and played U Mass and Alaska not conf game. Also had two at BU this year. 2002-03 went out to play New Hampshire for two. AZSIOUX, you need to get your facts straight before you blow hot air.

easy there :silly: the gophers dont play out east or should i say will travel to play hockey east/ or other east coast teams that often, thats a fact. especially the last 4 seasons. i think that was the spark of the conversation and thats a fact. yeah they went out there 04/05. not a big deal really as i couldnt care less but its been brought up here by gopherguy33 that the gophers dont travel east for whatever reasons that often. thats all..happy off-season and i cant wait for the beating at the ralph again next october. i was more comparing the gophers traveling hockey east and that area compared to how the sioux travel east more than anything as the sioux went to boston then harvard then michigan all this last year. just as many road games non conference as the gophers have had in the last 4 seasons combined almost. just highlighted from this last season more than anything as most teams just take 1 road series non conference for the most part as i realize that but the sioux will take 2 per season almost yearly and thats a fact jack :silly:

2008/09 the gophers didnt go anywhere non conference, only road wcha games so that sparked the conversation (0 non conference road games)

2007/08 the gophers went to mich and mich st and all other road games were wcha games (2 non conference road games)

2006/07 the gophers went to ohio state (2 non conference road games)

2005/06 the gophers go to mich and mich state ( 2 non conference road games)

2004/05 the gophers go to BU for 2 games

easy there :silly: the gophers dont play out east or should i say will travel to play hockey east/ or other east coast teams that often, thats a fact. especially the last 4 seasons. i think that was the spark of the conversation and thats a fact. yeah they went out there 04/05. not a big deal really as i couldnt care less but its been brought up here by gopherguy33 that the gophers dont travel east for whatever reasons that often. thats all..happy off-season and i cant wait for the beating at the ralph again next october. i was more comparing the gophers traveling hockey east and that area compared to how the sioux travel east more than anything as the sioux went to boston then harvard then michigan all this last year. just as many road games non conference as the gophers have had in the last 4 seasons combined almost. just highlighted from this last season more than anything as most teams just take 1 road series non conference for the most part as i realize that but the sioux will take 2 per season almost yearly and thats a fact jack :silly:

2008/09 the gophers didnt go anywhere non conference, only road wcha games so that sparked the conversation (0 non conference road games)

2007/08 the gophers went to mich and mich st and all other road games were wcha games (2 non conference road games)

2006/07 the gophers went to ohio state (2 non conference road games)

2005/06 the gophers go to mich and mich state ( 2 non conference road games)

2004/05 the gophers go to BU for 2 games

I say remove the Gophers from the WCHA and admit Bemidji!! The WCHA would be a lot better off.

I say remove the Gophers from the WCHA and admit Bemidji!! The WCHA would be a lot better off.

Hahahaha. Sure, I'd be totally fine with that. See ya Wisconsin then too....then you can add one more team too and have your 10.

Penn State can get their hockey going and HELLO POWERHOUSE BIG 10

• 2 weeks later...
Am I the only one who only sees doom and gloom for Bemidji?

I don't see it as that. There is still a good chance that UNO ends up in the WCHA with them getting a new AD.

There isn't going to be a vote this time around.

I don't see it as that. There is still a good chance that UNO ends up in the WCHA with them getting a new AD.

There isn't going to be a vote this time around.

according to the latest article in the forum... the bsu president says he expects an answer tomorrow. so not sure why you are under the impression there won't be a vote. i cant see the wcha having bsu bring all their people to florida just for there not to be a vote. i'm not saying they will get in, and maybe it will be left open ended, but it sounds like bsu expects some sort of decision tomorrow.

according to the latest article in the forum... the bsu president says he expects an answer tomorrow. so not sure why you are under the impression there won't be a vote. i cant see the wcha having bsu bring all their people to florida just for there not to be a vote. i'm not saying they will get in, and maybe it will be left open ended, but it sounds like bsu expects some sort of decision tomorrow.

There is talk of not having a vote until later because they don't have the votes right now. Brad also had it in his blog.

Bemidji State is going to make its presentation to WCHA officials on Monday and commish Bruce McLeod is going to hold a conference call with media on Tuesday afternoon.

At that time, we'll see what the commish says about the presentation and what are the next steps. Again, I don't believe the WCHA will vote at this time on BSU. The league has been very careful in saying that it "could" vote, but not saying that it "will" vote at that time.

Considering the climate across the country in college hockey, I think that the league will wait and see what happens this summer.