SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname on Ballot at Spirit Lake

82SiouxGuy

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I, being a white man in 2009 and not 1809, am responsible for that how exactly? Achieving a small bit of retribution through the nickname issue 200 years later is hardly a way to productively address whatever present-day issues stem from the conduct of people who lived 200 years ago.

play it cool. i'm just pointing out the irony. i'm in no way promoting some sort of retribution here. after re-reading my post, it seems you really stretched the meaning of my words to come to your conclusion.

i'm completely of the opinion that the past is the past and the only way to truly progress is to change the now, not try to make up for mistakes in the past. please don't twist my meaning again.

thanks

Let's take the personal stuff to private messaging and let the thread be about the thread.

Thanks

there's not likely going to be any new information on this thread's topic for a couple more months, so some filler material is fun to read; for me anyways.

it's pretty juvenile though, and it clearly stems from the fact that one person involved is a fan of an opposing team and the others are hard-core homers. if they met under different circumstances, they'd probably get along fine.

it's pretty easy for things to get personal on message boards where you don't have to face the other person. it reminds me of this stretch of road i drive every morning. the freeway splits so that two lanes go downtown and one lane enters another freeway. most people who are entering that other freeway get into that lane as soon as possibel and wait there turn, thereby keeping the other two lanes from getting overly congested. there's always a couple people, though, who cruise right to the split and want to get in, causing the other two lanes to come to a dead hault. pretty selfish if you ask me.

every time i see that i wish i had the time to follow one of those people and cut in front of them in line everywhere they went that day. then i could see if that person had the balls to say anything or if his/her driving habits are only as they are because they know they don't have to deal with a face-to-face situation where they could get called out for their actions.

wait a minute, this is way off topic too. sorry.

That would be interesting.... if I lived in the past.

The world, as they say, has changed a bit since the "white man" roamed the prairie. :lol:

come on now, redwing. you've seen my posts, do you really think i'm some left-wing radical cry-baby? i cetainly hope not. breaking such a contract would clearly not be legal and whatever happened in the past should not, and would not, change that fact. the irony if the argument came up would still be humorous (the irony, not the argument). don't you agree? of course you do.

come on now, redwing. you've seen my posts, do you really think i'm some left-wing radical cry-baby? i cetainly hope not. breaking such a contract would clearly not be legal and whatever happened in the past should not, and would not, change that fact. the irony if the argument came up would still be humorous (the irony, not the argument). don't you agree? of course you do.

Hmmm... I don't know. I'm not sure I care for people saying whether or not I agree with something.

As for the argument, it would be if UND wasn't dealing with an entity led (for now) by a person who staunchly lives in the past. They play the past to gain power or retribution in the present and, to a certain extent, future. That's the premise behind the "victim card." Ron HHiT LOVES the Victim Card because without it, he feels, the Standing Rock Tribe wouldn't have any power. Unfortunately, whatever respect that was held towards Standing Rock by UND students and non NA alums may have been compromised by Ron's very attitude.

You don't get anything by whining a lot and feigning weakness under the "crushing" grip of an ethnicity that no longer has any ambition to crush you. The 19th Century is over. As long as people with the mindset of Ron is around, living in the past is all they will allow their followers to do. And it will become a vicious cycle. And the poverty and hardships will continue.

That's my opinion. And if that agrees with you, fine. If it doesn't, fine. If that qualifies as ironic, fine.

You just couldn't leave well enough alone, could you? Rather than merely agree with what I posted, you had to take a little dig at me by adding "One of the few times I'll say this in relation to what you're saying, but...". Like the fact that you seldom agree with me has ANYTHING to do with the Spirit Lake election. I didn't cry about anything, all I did is ask you if that part was really neccessary. The funny thing is you didn't even have the balls to answer the question. The fact that you think it's "entertaining" to engage in these little pissing matches on internet message boards tells me a lot about your (lack of) maturity. Grow up, kid.

Only a whiny cry-baby, like yourself, would even remotely care that someone said that the comment was "One of the few times I'll say this in relation to what you're saying, but...."

Big deal, hahaha. Everyone shed a tear for little Davey....

20115_crybaby.jpg

DaveK <----- :lol::lol::lol:

And PS, it takes two to tango. I don't care to start anything with you, you start it yourself, but it's hilarious to see you continue on your path of humiliation. :D

Hmmm... I don't know. I'm not sure I care for people saying whether or not I agree with something.

As for the argument, it would be if UND wasn't dealing with an entity led (for now) by a person who staunchly lives in the past. They play the past to gain power or retribution in the present and, to a certain extent, future. That's the premise behind the "victim card." Ron HHiT LOVES the Victim Card because without it, he feels, the Standing Rock Tribe wouldn't have any power. Unfortunately, whatever respect that was held towards Standing Rock by UND students and non NA alums may have been compromised by Ron's very attitude.

You don't get anything by whining a lot and feigning weakness under the "crushing" grip of an ethnicity that no longer has any ambition to crush you. The 19th Century is over. As long as people with the mindset of Ron is around, living in the past is all they will allow their followers to do. And it will become a vicious cycle. And the poverty and hardships will continue.

That's my opinion. And if that agrees with you, fine. If it doesn't, fine. If that qualifies as ironic, fine.

i don't agree with the "victim card" either. i thought my original post was humorous. apparently you didn't view it that way and thought i was trying to make a political statement; something i have no interest in. nuff said.

I'd better get my post in here pdq as this thread is certainly headed towards the Red X.

I'm not sure I follow you. You make a statement. There is no indication that the statement that started it was made in jest. You use the term "irony" though. Is that what you used to indicate humorous statements?

I don't know. I've found ironic events in the past to be not entirely amusing even. Some are, sure, but not all.

Disagree with the victim card thing. It's your right. However, it is very much alive. It's been used to rationalize the condition of the NA society. It covers why many don't value education, why too many race unheeded into a lifestyle that lends itself to abject poverty, alcoholism, and to a certain extent disease. It's why the "white man" is among the first things brought up when some NA leaders speak about the ails of their society.

Sure, I freely admit that white people over a 100 years ago committed awful acts against the NA people from taking advantage of them to even violence. But 99% of those white Americans alive today had nothing to do with it. So why are they blamed? Because some of their ancestors didn't break their backs for the NA people? Many of THEM were breaking their backs just to survive themselves! What about the Irish immigrants? What about the Jews from Eastern Europe? What about the German, Polish, Belgian, French, Russian, and countless other Jews in the mid 20th Century? Shoot, did we kill 6,000,000 NA people because they aren't blond haired, blue eyed Christians?

Seriously, I don't joke about that crap. Everyone, even Caucasians, have their own tragedies. Their unanswered, unfair, and unconscionable experiences can sometimes be compared to that of the NA people and what of it? Unless you are NA, hispanic, or African American, no one cares. Yeah! When's the last time you heard about retribution about the countless Chinese that were used as forced laborers during the railroad expansion? When am I going to get worldly retribution for 90% of my father's family being wiped out because they were Jewish? Do you even hear Jews complaining? Thanks to that psychopath who went into the Holocaust museum, it was news for a little while. It hasn't been news since, iirc, the early 90s when some tried to get at the Swiss Banks to unlock certain bank accounts suspected of being used by Nazis as a sort of treasure trove of lost Jewish heirlooms, gold, money, etc.

PLEASE! :lol:

I'd better get my post in here pdq as this thread is certainly headed towards the Red X.

I'm not sure I follow you. You make a statement. There is no indication that the statement that started it was made in jest. You use the term "irony" though. Is that what you used to indicate humorous statements?

I don't know. I've found ironic events in the past to be not entirely amusing even. Some are, sure, but not all.

Disagree with the victim card thing. It's your right. However, it is very much alive. It's been used to rationalize the condition of the NA society. It covers why many don't value education, why too many race unheeded into a lifestyle that lends itself to abject poverty, alcoholism, and to a certain extent disease. It's why the "white man" is among the first things brought up when some NA leaders speak about the ails of their society.

Sure, I freely admit that white people over a 100 years ago committed awful acts against the NA people from taking advantage of them to even violence. But 99% of those white Americans alive today had nothing to do with it. So why are they blamed? Because some of their ancestors didn't break their backs for the NA people? Many of THEM were breaking their backs just to survive themselves! What about the Irish immigrants? What about the Jews from Eastern Europe? What about the German, Polish, Belgian, French, Russian, and countless other Jews in the mid 20th Century? Shoot, did we kill 6,000,000 NA people because they aren't blond haired, blue eyed Christians?

Seriously, I don't joke about that crap. Everyone, even Caucasians, have their own tragedies. Their unanswered, unfair, and unconscionable experiences can sometimes be compared to that of the NA people and what of it? Unless you are NA, hispanic, or African American, no one cares. Yeah! When's the last time you heard about retribution about the countless Chinese that were used as forced laborers during the railroad expansion? When am I going to get worldly retribution for 90% of my father's family being wiped out because they were Jewish? Do you even hear Jews complaining? Thanks to that psychopath who went into the Holocaust museum, it was news for a little while. It hasn't been news since, iirc, the early 90s when some tried to get at the Swiss Banks to unlock certain bank accounts suspected of being used by Nazis as a sort of treasure trove of lost Jewish heirlooms, gold, money, etc.

The PC and victim-oriented NA's, blacks, etc. should take a long look at the Jewish example. Those people have been persecuted since recorded history began and they, of all peoples, could spend the rest of eternity ruminating about it and grieving over it. They've been victims of the Nazis, Romans, Assyrians, Philistines, etc. and they have survived and thrived. Where would they be if they all had the victim mindset of RHHIT?

i don't disagree that the victim card exists, i disagree with it's use, which i believe was your point when you first mentioned the victim card. this conversation has gone on way too long and gotten way to serious for me.

The PC and victim-oriented NA's, blacks, etc. should take a long look at the Jewish example. Those people have been persecuted since recorded history began and they, of all peoples, could spend the rest of eternity ruminating about it and grieving over it. They've been victims of the Nazis, Romans, Assyrians, Philistines, etc. and they have survived and thrived. Where would they be if they all had the victim mindset of RHHIT?

oh my God, what did i create here?!

I am sure this has already been posted but I didnt want to wade through all the threads to check....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/tv/video.php?video_id=125

Another bit I found interesting from the video was the Seminole tribe member who states that if a person named their child after someone, the person is typically honored that their name was chosen. Opponents claim that using Native Americans as mascots dehumanizes them or puts them on the same level as animal mascots. I find it kind of interesting that there are many Native Americans who use animals in their own names. Native Americans actually use many animals as sacred symbols hold them in high regard. Not really sure where I'm going with this, I guess I find the arguement that mascots dehumanize people as being kind of silly.

a 30-year contract is a "continuous agreement". once that contract expires (if such a contract is ever approved), then this issue could be revisited. until then, a contract is a contract.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is a strong maybe on this contract stuff. It depends upon what law is the basis for the contract. The tribes will want any contract to be interpreted and administered under tribal law. Should any disagreement occur, the issue will then be handled at tribal court, which is equivalent to "the non-tribal entity loses." This is an unfortunate but predominant situation and is one of the significant issues why reservations cannot get outside businesses to come in and do development. The additional risks of doing business under tribal law, which can change continuously to fit the situation, are enormous. So while I see hope in moving forward with the tribes on getting approval, getting an acceptable 30-year agreement that will last 30 years might be darn difficult.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is a strong maybe on this contract stuff. It depends upon what law is the basis for the contract. The tribes will want any contract to be interpreted and administered under tribal law. Should any disagreement occur, the issue will then be handled at tribal court, which is equivalent to "the non-tribal entity loses." This is an unfortunate but predominant situation and is one of the significant issues why reservations cannot get outside businesses to come in and do development. The additional risks of doing business under tribal law, which can change continuously to fit the situation, are enormous. So while I see hope in moving forward with the tribes on getting approval, getting an acceptable 30-year agreement that will last 30 years might be darn difficult.

i have no bubbles