SiouxSports.com Forum

Mesa State

jimdahl

Mesa State forces 4 turnovers in the 1st half and completely shuts down the heavily favored opponent's running game -- didn't I already watch this game today with UNLV? I hope Coach Lennon has a good half-time speech prepared.

0 net yards rushing. Ouch.

FYI-- In an interview with Gene Taylor at half-time, he indicated that Roger Thomas was anxious to schedule NDSU for the next couple years but he noted (as a member of the tournament selection committee) that playing NDSU would be worse for UND's playoff chances than playing an >.500 in region team. He said he expects the contest to continue for at least a few years.

I'd say this was roughly the equivalent of losing to Bemidji St. I don't know whether the talent level simply isn't as good as many of us thought, whether it just isn't being utilized properly, or whether there is some other problem. But there is absolutely no excuse for losing to a mediocre-at-best RMAC program like this. Other than Kearney and perhaps Chadron, that conference has traditionally been terrible, and judging by Mesa's first game of the year, they are not a playoff contender by any means. I still have a lot of faith in Dale Lennon, but I am extremely disappointed that the problems of last year evidently haven't been corrected.

OK,

everybody needs to settle down a little. Yes, it was a bad loss for the team, and if they were to play them again tomorrow, they would probably win. Turnovers proved to be the end of them. To those people that are already writing off UND for the season and the playoffs: have some faith and pride in your UND football program. Some people are on here remind me of vikings fans. If you are already jumping off the wagon after 2 games, good riddance, and stay off. I cant stand people that dont know how to endure one tough loss. You know what, they may lose every game the rest of the season, who knows? Even if that happens, I will still support them. I guarantee if they were to win out for the rest of the regular season, the same people that are jumping off the wagon will jump right back on. That is complete BS!! One loss is not the end of the season, especially this early. I feel that the loss in 2001 to UNO proved to be the spark that UND needed to win the title. The team felt defeat once, and didnt want to feel it again. This ended up being a motivator in the long run. Sometimes you learn the most while enduring losses. I know UND will come back strong in the upcoming weeks.

A proud UND Alum

UNDvince97-01 - Thanks for the positive comment. I, like most everyone else, was surprised and highly disappointed by UND's performance on Saturday. But, it was the second game of the season. We certainly should not throw the season away at this point.

True Sioux fans can and should talk about a team's performance, strong points, weaknesses and the likelihood of success. But true UND fans stick with the team whatever the outcome. I, for one, do expect us to have a successful season. Does that mean going to the playoffs? Probably not, but you need to remember that we are coming off a 5-6 record last year. A 7-3 or 8-2 record would be a nice step forward.

BisonMav - I also appreciate your comment. It is good to see mutual respect amongst each team's fans. It is a huge rivalry but the state is much better off when one (or both) schools are doing very well in whatever sport.

I heard the game on radio. I think the sioux have all they need they just need to play more balanced and use there best players. The ball offensively should always be in Ahlers,Stattelmans,Lueks hands, tossing in with Mielke, and we should always be able to pass. Rolands running style doesnt always suit who we play. It was good to see Schwenzfire get some carries. COmmittee is right as far as the running game. And from what I heard Bowenkamp sliding during a crucial stage in the game speaks to how UND's attitude reflects leadership. Though he is no Kelby, heart is all we ask for, and I feel that was a sign that things need to be changed. That was the perfect opportunity to spark the offense by showing some Balls.

Defensively we just need to keep playing tough, if guys arent coming out strong, why leave them in, it seems we have young players in the wings that are ready to contribute, its seeming like we need to give them a chance. Just my thoughts.

It has been alleged that one is not a "true fan" if one "falls off the bandwagon" after a single loss. That got me thinking about college sports (look out!) and what it is to be a "fan".

The way I see it there are 2 schools of thought:

1) College sports are about the students' experiences and development. Thus, "true fans" should always be positive and supportive and remember that it is just a game.

2) Some college sports (Hockey, FB & BB @ UND) are businesses that charge for tickets to make money for the University, which funds scholarships, benefits the local economy & makes the U stronger. In this case, "true fans" expect that the program deliver towards stated goals and perform at a community established level.

Neither of the views is without merit. It would do us all good to remember that.

IMO UND fans should judge the success of this and every season on whether or not they win the NCC. Playoffs then Nat. Championship are the obvious goals after that that require many breaks along the way and even plain old luck. I was at the game and i think in the second half the Sioux looked better than at any time last year. Positives: Bowencamp led a comeback. Roland came back from disaster to gain 67 yds in the 2nd half. Lueck took another step towards being a big play guy we need. When you watch him play you sense he's just ready to blossom. (all recievers played well). The coaches have talked alot about him and Dan Ullsperger is the real deal at ILB. He's going to get better every week just like Digger did last year. Digger was a force Sat. and those two are going to be a dominant pair of LB's over the next 3 seasons. All is not gloom and doom. Dont judge this season until the conference race has been decided!!!

Call me a wet blanket but the whole D1aa rears it ugly head.Our team is mostly N.Dakota players

RT and the good folks point out that we would lose all these ND kids should/would /could.UND be made to join the ranks of the D1aa's.Looking mighty thin for an arguement why we should stay D2.

Case in point our ND kids didn't play very well against a "Crookston size" school and came home with a L not a W. Last weekend!(Doesn't this hurt our regional ranking towards the end of the season?)

If they lose this weekend to this other "unknown" school RT and UND can keep my season tickets next year.I will probably need$$$ for the hockey tickets any way. :huh:

OETKB, I am not a band wagon jumper but I am a ticket buyer and there are just so many times I will pay the crazy ticket price to watch UND beat up on the "Crookston" size schools.Bring in the schools with tradition in D2 the Pitt's of Ks or Sw Missouri States.Not the Bemidji's..

Sorry still miffed but after reading RT's comments about that UND isn't gouging the ticket buyers! I almost lost my breakfast that morning!C'mon RT who do you think your fooling? :D

OETKB, I am not a band wagon jumper but I am a ticket buyer and there are just so many times I will pay the crazy ticket price to watch UND beat up on the "Crookston" size schools.Bring in the schools with tradition in D2 the Pitt's of Ks or Sw Missouri States.Not the Bemidji's..

Actually, I lean toward viewpoint #2 (see my earlier post) as well. I've not been impressed with UND FB scheduling or performance since 2001. Labelling someone as not a "true fan" just because they have standards and expectations is wrong, IMO.

As I recently posted in the BB forum, from what I hear, the Athletic Department has finally gotten the message and is in contract negotiations with many different quality DII schools for FB games starting as early as next year. I won't mention the names but most are perennial top 20 teams. We already have Central Washington and Mesa on the schedule (acknowledging that Mesa may not be a top quality opponent - despite last weekend's outcome). With us having more open dates due to a smaller NCC schedule, it sounds like we will have some good, well-known opponents coming in.

On the Men's BB side, with the opening of the new building next year, it appears that many name DII teams will be scheduled. REA understands that larger crowds mean more $ and is aggressively promoting a strong schedule. Interestingly, most of the discussion is in giving teams a guarantee rather than arranging home-and-home commitments.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Actually, I lean toward viewpoint #2 (see my earlier post) as well. I've not been impressed with UND FB scheduling or performance since 2001. Labelling someone as not a "true fan" just because they have standards and expectations is wrong, IMO.

Everyone in disagreement of my earlier post is missing the point. Yes, the loss to Mesa St. was very disappointing. I am disappointed myself. Yes, the non-conference scheduling of late has been subpar. This is not because of a lack of effort however. UND has tried numerous times to get good teams for non-conference games. It has failed for a number of reasons including money issues, travel issues, and just because teams fear going to UND and NCC schools in general because of the quality of football. Another ridiculous reason includes one team requesting UND to buy turf shoes for them because their team didnt have any because they always play on grass. There are a lot of variables that go into scheduling non-conference games that are very difficult to negotiate.

As a UND alum, I too want to see the best results possible in all sports. Competeing for conference and national championships are the reasons you play the games. I grew up in Grand Forks watching UND football stink in the late 80's, but I still was a faithful fan. Fans of college athletics should be proud of their teams in the good and bad, wins and losses. If you have any loyalty towards your team, you will always do this. It seems as though sometimes people try to compare college athletics to pro sports. College athletes are at school to gain an education, first and foremost. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant. They are not professional athletes. Yes, they are getting paid to attend school on scholarship. But it is not all they do, and they are not doing it in a "professional" sense of the word. I also pay money to attend UND athletic events. I do it because I love to follow my former university, not because I DEMAND wins for my money. That should be left for the ranks of professional sports. In the small state of ND, and the smaller city of Grand Forks, UND is all we have to support. We dont have any professional teams, and I think this is why people sometimes get caught up in things like this. I hope the UND football team comes back strong to win the NCC and ultimately, the national championship. That is their goal every year, as it should be. Just always try to remember what Division 2 college athletics is all about, and support your team the way you are suppose to. Please do not take this personal, as it is not an attack on any one person. I am just trying to tell everybody how it is. I could argue this forever, but I will leave it at that.

Well said, UNDvince97-01.

As UND tries to bolster it's schedule, I'm trying to figure out which D2 teams UND fans think are top D2 programs. I can think of nine: Texas A&M Kingsville, Valdosta State, Pittsburg State, Indiana (PA), Carson-Newman, Northwest Missouri, and West Georgia. Catawba and Grand Valley have had recent success so I'd include them.

How does this list match up with what you guys consider top DII programs?

Outside of that list and the NCC, there are only eight current DII teams with more than two playoff wins.

As UND tries to bolster it's schedule, I'm trying to figure out which D2 teams UND fans think are top D2 programs. I can think of nine: Texas A&M Kingsville, Valdosta State, Pittsburg State, Indiana (PA), Carson-Newman, Northwest Missouri, and West Georgia. Catawba and Grand Valley have had recent success so I'd include them.

How does this list match up with what you guys consider top DII programs?

Outside of that list and the NCC, there are only eight current DII teams with more than two playoff wins.

I would agree with your list. Although not necessarily top programs over an extended period of time, I'd also be interested in seeing any of the following on UND's non-conference schedule: Central Arkansas, Southern Arkansas, Central Missouri, Slippery Rock, Nebraska-Kearney, Chadron St., Tuskegee or Winona St. I am glad that Central Wash. is also apparently back on the schedule next season, as well.

I am with Tony and UND92,96.

The kids deserve to play up to their talent level.You can not say that the "Crookston", "Bemidji" size scools help UND practice. These schools are nothing but practice pylons!

The Sw Missouri's of D2 are where you want to be. Not worried about one loss and you are out of region play. Show the NC$$ why you BELONG with the upper teams! Beat the best is all I am saying.

Besides with all the money RT thinks UND is making why not spend a little to make even more?

It's working for the Bison. :D

Actually, SW Mo. St. is I-AA. You may have meant NW Mo. St. Anyway, I pretty much agree with the previous posts. NDSU has had decent home crowds when they've scheduled the likes of West Georgia, TAMUK, and most recently, UC-Davis. I don't know what the attendance was for the game vs. Crookston, but I think ticket sales would have to be better if top-notch competition is brought in.

Riverman, I'm an NDSU fan (in the interest of full-disclosure) so take any advice that I give with a grain of salt) but...

The only advice I'd give is this:

- Don't schedule a mid-level GSC team because they'll give you all you want and more.

- Don't schedule a mid-level SAC team for the same reason - it'll be worse if scholarships are cut because UND's talent level might go down while theirs will remain the same or get better.

- I wouldn't necessarily schedule teams that are the true DII powers - better to schedule the perennially overrated and strapped for cash (Saginaw, the NSIC favorite, Central Missouri, and any PSAC team besides IUP in the top 20).