SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NCAA Tournament

Matt

You give Vonesh too much credit and Moorman not enough. Moormann would score much, but Vonesh would score as much as you think.

Woodside would score 20+ on Rico and we all know Rico couldn't score consistanly.

Gulseth/Winkleman is a push.

Nelson hands down.

Gardner would score down low, Tveidt would step outside and shoot 3s all day.

Again IMO, best of 7 SU wins 4-2.

Well, I watched nearly every home game NDSU's best DII team played (the one with Berwald, Askew etc) and I'd say this NDSU team would beat that team 90% of the time - at least.

You're right about overrating Vonesh, Joe Regnier owned his butt. Lucas Moorman ain't much of a scorer, but he'd dominate Dave Vonesh.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this article about the NDSU/Kansas matchup posted on Bisonville and got a good chuckle out of it, especially the worst case scenario for NDSU. Article by Pat Forde at ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=ncb

Kansas (3)

Best Case: Winning begets winning, and the Jayhawks don't need no Mario to repeat as champions. Cole Aldrich dominates inside to defeat Michigan State and Louisville and reach the Final Four. Once there, Sherron Collins hits buzzer-beating 3 to tie Memphis after the Tigers miss free throws, fail to call a timeout and fail to foul Collins before the shot. After dispatching Memphis, Kansas draws North Carolina in the title game. Ol' Roy is still puckered from last year, and the Jayhawks win it all again. School bumps Phog Allen's name off the Fieldhouse and calls it the Self Center. Missouri loses early, and Mike Anderson leaves for Alabama.

Worst Case: Bison Bummer II. Jayhawks sleepwalk into early tip-off and are stunned in the first round by North Dakota State on a hook shot by whichever player most closely resembles Chris McNaughton, the kid from the other Bison (Bucknell) who eliminated Kansas in 2005. Understanding Kansas fans shove Bill Self back onto the hot seat a year removed from winning it all. Missouri makes the Final Four and signs Anderson to 10-year contract. Aldrich and Collins turn pro.

North Dakota State (14)

Best Case: After hordes (well, some) Bison fans pour across the Red River and descend upon Minneapolis for a semi-home game, they're treated to an epic upset of Kansas on a 25-foot 3-pointer by Ben Woodside. Gov. John Hoeven hails this as the greatest sporting moment in state history, non-ice hockey division. With a 1-0 all-time NCAA tournament record, team doesn't even bother with second-round game against West Virginia. Goes shopping at Mall of America instead.

Worst Case: Kansas shows the Bison exactly how vast the difference is between the Big 12 and the Summit, rolling to a 20-4 lead. NDSU squad that went 0-3 against teams in the field of 65 turns the ball over repeatedly, gets in foul trouble, cannot get open looks for Woodside and loses by 30. Meanwhile, North Dakota goes on a run to win national hockey championship.

That being said, I'm still hoping the Bison can make it a good game and potentially pull off the upset (although we'll never hear the end of it).

I saw this article about the NDSU/Kansas matchup posted on Bisonville and got a good chuckle out of it, especially the worst case scenario for NDSU. Article by Pat Forde at ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=ncb

That being said, I'm still hoping the Bison can make it a good game and potentially pull off the upset (although we'll never hear the end of it).

It's hard to ignore NDSU's 0-3 record vs. tournament teams, and their very low strength of schedule index. I think they'll need a shooting performance similar to Villanova's vs. Georgetown in the 1985 national championship game, i.e. the "perfect game", to keep this one close. Obviously it's a huge jump to go from playing Summit teams to Kansas, and it's not like the Bison were exactly blowing out the competition in the Summit tournament.

It's hard to ignore NDSU's 0-3 record vs. tournament teams, and their very low strength of schedule index. I think they'll need a shooting performance similar to Villanova's vs. Georgetown in the 1985 national championship game, i.e. the "perfect game", to keep this one close. Obviously it's a huge jump to go from playing Summit teams to Kansas, and it's not like the Bison were exactly blowing out the competition in the Summit tournament.

They don't have a habit of getting blown out vs high majors either. That's why the ten point spread is enticing.

They don't have a habit of getting blown out vs high majors either. That's why the ten point spread is enticing.

I'm not sure there have been enough games against elite teams in the past two years to draw any conclusions. They did play USC (a 10-seed) close, and lost by 14 to Minnesota (another 10-seed), but both were bubble-type teams--not top-15 teams. Last year's game against Florida may have seemed like a big deal at the time, but the Gators only made the NIT. I just don't see any reason to think they're ready to seriously challenge a 3-seed barring some sort of miraculous shooting game.

An O-for-season in the Summit leaves you at home. Only the top 8 make the tournament. The path as an 8 seed is daunting, that's why the #1 seed is so important.

And getting 8th in the WCHA means playing a 3 seed away for a best of 3 series. Then on to the play-in game next thursday and 2 more fri and sat to win the tourney. That is a whopping 6 games in 8 days. That is why seeding is so important in the WCHA.

I'm watching Ben Jacobson's UNI team give Purdue all they can handle. UNI returns basically their entire team next year, so when they come to town it will likely be the second-best team we've ever hosted (after Kansas).

Watched it too. The 12 point halftime deficit proved to be just a little too much. They battled hard to get it down to 4 but just couldn't get over the hump. How great was it to watch Jake calmly working the sideline?

Using Larry Bird and Dave Vonesh in the same conversation? :huh: Now that's just silly talk! :silly:

You comparing Lucas Moorman's career to Dave Vonesh's, at the DI level or the DII level, that's silly talk my friend. I'm glad you're loyal to NDSU but at some point reality has to kick in. Vonesh would have scored alot against Moorman and there is nothing in Moorman's career to make us believe the same for him.

Sorry, V was way better.

You comparing Lucas Moorman's career to Dave Vonesh's, at the DI level or the DII level, that's silly talk my friend. I'm glad you're loyal to NDSU but at some point reality has to kick in. Vonesh would have scored alot against Moorman and there is nothing in Moorman's career to make us believe the same for him.

Sorry, V was way better.

Maybe it would be more acceptable if we argued that Lance Berwald and Joe Regnier (and many other dII Bison centers) were far, far better than Moormann, too? :silly:

If you put Minnesotans Woodside and Aldrich on Tubby's team, how good would the Gophers have been?

Probably never would have needed Tubby if those two were at Minnesota. Might have seen Monson still there.

We may have missed the end of the Bison game on CBS, but this live checking into other games has been awesome. Lots of great endings so far today. Utah State and Marquette is going to be the next great ending. Two points with 23 seconds left.

I am somewhat surprised that NDSU over the last 2-3 years wasn't able to convince a good big man and/or power forward to join this very talented group of players. With some inside strength and offense, they would have really been good. Moorman, coming off the bench, could have been very effective!

SU fans - don't get excited, my comments were not meant to negative - just an observation! You should be very proud!

I am somewhat surprised that NDSU over the last 2-3 years wasn't able to convince a good big man and/or power forward to join this very talented group of players. With some inside strength and offense, they would have really been good. Moorman, coming off the bench, could have been very effective!

SU fans - don't get excited, my comments were not meant to negative - just an observation! You should be very proud!

I don't take your comments as negative at all.

If the Bison had any inside game at all they would have had a very real chance to steal that game. There's was a point with about 8:00 to go in that when I thought they were actually going to have a chance pull it off - in spite of their pathetic inside game.

I guess it goes to show how difficult it is to recruit as a mid-major program. I assume the juco kid they brought in this year was supposed to have provided more of a low post presence, but it didn't really work out that way.

I guess it goes to show how difficult it is to recruit as a mid-major program. I assume the juco kid they brought in this year was supposed to have provided more of a low post presence, but it didn't really work out that way.

I don't think even having Andre Smith back would have made the difference today since there really wasn't much of a rebounding edge to KU. SU just had no answer to Aldrich. I think I heard on the post game that he had 6 dunks. That's just free points that SU just had no answer for. What impressed me is that SU forced KU to play a good game to beat them. They needed a deficiency from KU to give them an opportunity to win, but there was nothing. SU even hit some shots late, but when they fouled, KU nailed their free throws as well. Vegas was dead on, KU was 10 points better in what amounted to an SU home game.

Fun time at the Metrodome!

Aldridge is a great player. They basically just let him dunk the whole game. Seems like on paper Moorman could match up, but it did not happen.

Thought we had a cance a couple times when were down 3, but it wasn't meant to happen this year for us.

I really hope NDSU can use this momentum to keep the program going. What an awesome goal now: win a game at the tournament.

Oh BTW, I sat next to a UND fan who said he was there to support North Dakota.

I don't think even having Andre Smith back would have made the difference today since there really wasn't much of a rebounding edge to KU. SU just had no answer to Aldrich. I think I heard on the post game that he had 6 dunks. That's just free points that SU just had no answer for. What impressed me is that SU forced KU to play a good game to beat them. They needed a deficiency from KU to give them an opportunity to win, but there was nothing. SU even hit some shots late, but when they fouled, KU nailed their free throws as well. Vegas was dead on, KU was 10 points better in what amounted to an SU home game.

Andre Smith could have contested some of those lob dunks to Aldrich better than anyone the Bison had on the floor today.

It could have made the game closer. And the game was close enough that Bison fans had hope untill the last few minutes.

Ben Woodside is 5'11 and he dominated the game. I guess it doesn't matter how tall you are. Good game.

Talked to 2 very diehard sioux fans today at work. 1 of them had to rush home to watch the game, he was rooting for the herd all the way. All bad blood aside for the game it seemed like. Anyways, thanks for some of the good comments over on this board. I am rooting for the Sioux right now in Hockey, on my 52".

Talked to 2 very diehard sioux fans today at work. 1 of them had to rush home to watch the game, he was rooting for the herd all the way. All bad blood aside for the game it seemed like. Anyways, thanks for some of the good comments over on this board. I am rooting for the Sioux right now in Hockey, on my 52".

52" you must have a drgree from UND to afford that. Ha Ha

Interesting when I read the paper this morning that there were actually more people at the Final Five Sioux Hockey game than there were at the the Bison NCAA basketball game yesterday. This is definitely hockey country. I wonder how many Sioux fans were at the hockey game yesterday?

Interesting when I read the paper this morning that there were actually more people at the Final Five Sioux Hockey game than there were at the the Bison NCAA basketball game yesterday. This is definitely hockey country. I wonder how many Sioux fans were at the hockey game yesterday?

WCHA Tournament Semi-Final Game in St Paul = 17,729

NCAA Basketball National Tournament Opening Round Game in Minneapolis = 15,794

That is amazing that it would outdraw the NCAA tournament, especially with Kansas in the bracket. Plus it was setup for 31,000 seats and supposedly NDSU was going to bring 30,000.

I don't think it's that amazing.

NDSU had 10k fans at the game, which is good for us.

I'm guessing the hockey game had ~9k UND fans and ~9k whoever the other team was (assuming it was a Minnesota team).

The true amazing thing is that there were 20k fans of schools from ND down in the cities watching the games and partying.

Mpls/SP must love it when ND teams are playing in town.