SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

Koening was never going to UND...both UND and NDSU recruited him heavily, both had him in for visits, in fact he told both schools he was coming to their place and at the last minute announced he was going to Wisc Green Bay....there is your inside info......by the way Green Bay is brutal....they would propably lose to Bemidji too... :silly:

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments on two or three recent posts:

1) There is a great deal of misinformation posted on this board regarding UND's basketball program.

Suffice it to say - UND (and I am sure the same goes for NDSU) makes an attempt to sign any ND/NW Minnesota recruit that they feel can contribute to their program. Often, the recruit (Boschee, Gottfried, Koenig, etc.) will make it clear pretty early in the process that they intend to go DI. UND stays in touch with these individuals during the recruiting process but respects their wishes not to take up any of their time, etc. Obviously, they do this with the thought that the athlete may not later want to transfer back to a school nearer their home.

2) UND certainly is struggling and likely will for awhile - maybe all season. Such a turnover of athletes in one year is not good. Combine this with the fact that one of the new players was fully expected to be the team leader, Aaron Austin. When he left the team for personal reasons, that really hurt. Not only was he an experienced leader and scorer, he was their best athlete. If he was with us and scoring his 16-20 points per game, we would be much more respectable.

I remember years in the past (both under Glas and Gunther) when we stunk it up in the preseason but went on to challenge for the NCC title. I am not implying that this is going to happen this year but we may not be as lousy as it currently appears.

3) Lollar came in as a highly regarded and highly recruited JC transfer. All of the good DII schools were after him (Kentucky Wesleyan, etc.). He hurt a knee or ankle in the summer before his first year at UND and never really recovered. The coaching staff felt that he recovered physically but not mentally. He just couldn't make himself go full-tilt (other than one game later in the season when he scored 25 or so - I think against SDSU). He began to get a bad attitude and started to let his school work slide. It got to the point where the coaching staff (and the other players did not want him back for the next year.

All that being said, I believe that had he not injured himself prior to his first season at UND, he may have been a great player. I know the coaching staff felt that, up to that point, he was the best BB player they had recruited to UND.

4) The Harkins kid we signed out of they Wisconsin should be a very good NCC player. Lots of tools - plenty of maturity. They had hoped to sign the Winkelman kid out of Morris, MN but he decided to wait until spring to sign. St. Cloud is after him hard plus he may still go DI. A very good athlete - 6'6" forward.

Well, beating MSU-Moorhead at home isn't a huge accomplishment, but at least things are looking a little better. The UND starting five is decent, but with Nobles out with an injury and Jahner forced into the starting lineup, there's very little depth. I am perplexed as to why walk-on Jared Wells is playing considerable minutes and Franklin and Stoute are barely playing at all. Franklin looked pretty disgusted when he finally got into the game with about three minutes left last night. It also seems like interest in UND mens basketball is at one of the lowest levels I've seen in a long, long time. Only the die-hards were there last night.

Well, beating MSU-Moorhead at home isn't a huge accomplishment, but at least things are looking a little better. The UND starting five is decent, but with Nobles out with an injury and Jahner forced into the starting lineup, there's very little depth. I am perplexed as to why walk-on Jared Wells is playing considerable minutes and Franklin and Stoute are barely playing at all. Franklin looked pretty disgusted when he finally got into the game with about three minutes left last night. It also seems like interest in UND mens basketball is at one of the lowest levels I've seen in a long, long time. Only the die-hards were there last night.

How can interest be high in the men's team? Glas never lands a highly touted recruit. Year after year, we fail to advance very far. We get blown out by Mary.

How can interest be high in the men's team?  Glas never lands a highly touted recruit.  Year after year, we fail to advance very far.  We get blown out by Mary.

I have a feeling the only thing that may save the mens basketball program from the embarrassment of playing in a mostly empty Hyslop for most of the year is the fact that most of the games are double-headers and people are still interested in the womens team. I can't help but wonder what Rich Glas thinks when he compares his own team to the football team which is playing in the national semi-finals, the hockey team ranked number one in the country, and the womens basketball team ranked number two in the country. It's tough to understand how there can be such a disparity, and it's not as though this is an unusual year in that regard.

RinkRat -- While I share your disappointment in UND men's success in recent years, I am not sure how you feel that Glas "never" lands a highly regarded recruit. Beasley was one of the 2-3 best players ever at UND. All the major DII schools were after Myron Allen - none of them knew about his brief pro stint. Keith Parks was recruited by a bunch of the successful DII schools.

We do have trouble getting good freshmen in but it is difficult to convince a kid to come to the frozen tundra of ND. We all know that there aren't many NCC quality BB players developed in ND/NW MN. There have been numerous talented kids who decided to walk on at various DI schools. Had they gone DII, they would have gone to UND and been great ballplayers.

We have made some strides these with Gutter and Doyle last year and Harkins this year. All should be very good DII players. REA and the new REA for BB should continue make recuriting somewhat easier. Lindahl could have gone quite a few places but we got him due to his dad's going to UND and our working hard to get him over NDSU. SU did some odd things to try to persuade him to come to Fargo. Behrens certainly was a dandy and Mustard wasn't bad either. Take a look at the NCC MVP over the last few years - more UND players than any other.

Two of the five best players in the NCC today basically "flipped a coin" between UND or their current school when signing their Letter of Intent.

Bottom line - I wish we could get more talented kids at UND but it is not like we haven't had some great talent in recent years. I think a better arguement is "why haven't we been able to win more with the talent we have had"!

If we have landed all these great players, how many championships have we won?

How many championship games has UND been in lately?

When I talk about recruits, i'm talking about someone who will play 4 years, not a juco transfer.

I guess you can keep supporting Glas, but he hasn't done anything here and needs to go. How can you even defend him?

RinkRat - Read the first sentence and the last sentence of my post. My point was simply debating your comment about "never" getting any good players. We have had lots of good players - just not much success! For the most part, you and I are on the same page!

RinkRat - Read the first sentence and the last sentence of my post. My point was simply debating your comment about "never" getting any good players. We have had lots of good players - just not much success! For the most part, you and I are on the same page!

I apologize for misunderstanding your points. I'm just frustrated with the whole situation. I'm hoping someone, a person who has more power than I do, is feeling the same way that I do. Obviously support has really fallen off this year and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

First of all, Beasley was a fluke!! Richie hit the lottery, even he admits he thought he was only the third best of the three juco's that year. Beasley was the only one of the three that had a decent attitude. As far as Parks, lets wait at least a year or two and see what happens. Maybe he has problems to come, ala Lolar. Even if you count these players as studs, Glas has a tough time molding teams with smart players, mental toughness and depth. Hell, he couldn't make a team of out of last years team with all those veterans including many people who had been in the program for 4 years. Teams were triple and quadruple teaming Beasley and he still couldn't get anything out the offense besides a 26 foot fadeaway by Brandt. And that is a whole other story when local kids up and quit on the program after 4 years. Their distaste for Glas made them leave and give up four years of hard work. If that doesn't say something about him!!! The attitudes from some of these players have been just ridiciulous the past few years.

Let's bring in a real coach who knows the game and start building a tradition in the new arena!! Every other UND program that has decent funding behind it is a solid program except for men's BB. Isn't 16 years of the Reverend enough?

First of all, Beasley was a fluke!! Richie hit the lottery, even he admits he thought he was only the third best of the three juco's that year. Beasley was the only one of the three that had a decent attitude. As far as Parks, lets wait at least a year or two and see what happens. Maybe he has problems to come, ala Lolar. Even if you count these players as studs, Glas has a tough time molding teams with smart players, mental toughness and depth. Hell, he couldn't make a team of out of last years team with all those veterans including many people who had been in the program for 4 years. Teams were triple and quadruple teaming Beasley and he still couldn't get anything out the offense besides a 26 foot fadeaway by Brandt. And that is a whole other story when local kids up and quit on the program after 4 years. Their distaste for Glas made them leave and give up four years of hard work. If that doesn't say something about him!!! The attitudes from some of these players have been just ridiciulous the past few years.

Let's bring in a real coach who knows the game and start building a tradition in the new arena!! Every other UND program that has decent funding behind it is a solid program except for men's BB. Isn't 16 years of the Reverend enough?

Amen

The UND men won at Concordia-SP last night, but it looks like Keith Parks may have suffered a season-ending injury in the process. At this rate, there may not be enough bodies to finish the season. I'm also wondering if Derrick Franklin will even return to the team for the second semester. He played about two or three minutes against Moorhead, and not at all last night. It might be time to start recruiting some football players to the basketball team after next week.

Franklin has left the team, according to today's Herald, and with Parks and Nobles injured (Parks is probably done for the year), the team is down to nine relatively healthy players. And two or three of them are walk-ons. Needless to say, things have gone from bad to worse.

Franklin has left the team, according to today's Herald, and with Parks and Nobles injured (Parks is probably done for the year), the team is down to nine relatively healthy players. And two or three of them are walk-ons. Needless to say, things have gone from bad to worse.

Phil Jackson have any elgibility remaining?

Phil Jackson have any elgibility remaining?

Listening to the basketball game, I am very pleased with how this depleted team is playing. Beating CSP shorthanded at CSP (a team that ad SDSU beat but ended up losing by 1) and winning at Northern, always a good team and a tough place to play, and performing well right now. Rich getting this team to win says more about his coaching than I think a lot of people can imagine. If we don't have Parks for the rest of the year, and Nobles sounds like he is going to be out for quite a while longer, and Rich can pull out an above .500 overall record, I'll have to believe that this would be the most impressive year for him as a coach at UND, and should quiet doubters about his ability. If he can win with a lineup made up largly of walk-ons and partial scholarship guys (Wells, Jahner, Dahl, Bradley), that only validates that his job shouldn't be in jeopardy.

i personally think UND needs a new mens b-bal coach

i remeber a ton of blown desiscions that any stupid non coahc could of amke and glas doesnt do it

like last year, sioux down by 2, 5 secs to go, sioux has 2 time outs to go, glas dont call one

i think roebuck should coach both sports