SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

Speaking on Winkelman, I know that the Moen Family brought him up to a UND game last Fall. THe connection may payoff, but the chance to play with former AAU teammates may be too much to pass up at NDSU, that is if he got along with them. Ya never know, could be bad chemistry. I would rather UND give a guy like this a full ride than wait too see who is available from JuCo over the summer.

I'm pretty sure that UND would give Winkelman a full ride in a heartbeat if he committed. If he goes elsewhere, it will be another in the list of excellent high school players in recent years who we came close to getting, e.g. Matt Jones and Josh Mueller, but ultimately did not. It's tough because not only are we competing with lower level division I schools for some players--and a lot of kids are so enamored with the division I label that they don't even care that the actual caliber of play of many lower-tier division I conferences isn't very good--but also with the fact that a lot of kids would prefer to play closer to home. That's where we are at such a disadvantage with North Dakota and northwest Minnesota producing so few good basketball players. Once you get into South Dakota, Wisconsin or Iowa, the distance from home becomes a major obstacle if that player is also being recruited by a school which is a few hundred miles closer.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

corella-

you are right that networking plays a big part in recruiting. on that note, winkelman played football for forrest witt's dad at morris and forrest was a standout for the huskies last year. both UND and scsu could really use him. good luck to the kid at whatever university. (hopefully scsu ??? )

corella-

you are right that networking plays a big part in recruiting. on that note, winkelman played football for forrest witt's dad at morris and forrest was a standout for the huskies last year. both UND and scsu could really use him. good luck to the kid at whatever university. (hopefully scsu :D )

I didn't know that. Hopefully that plays against St Cloud, he really wanted to play D1, be it football or basketball, maybe Witt's Dad didn't help him get his name out ;) . JK. That only makes it more interesting and heated, it may be a situation where he is really torn.

Stoute may be athletic, but that won't get you playing time. He is a foul waiting to happen every second on the court. Offensively, his best move is the right handed forearm to the chest of the defender, which has gotten called on him repeatedly this year, but he got away with it on his dunk this weekend. Gutter may have a 2-handed shot, but it goes in as he works close to the hoop. Nothing is being counted on him for next year, any positive contributions will be icing on the cake.

I am a frequent observer the comments on this site . I would really love to ask corella what the hell does she be looking at on the court.From reading the stuff you post it seem to me you do not know what the hell you are lookin at most of the time. In other words you make the worst analysis of players ability.So my advice to you is leave stuff you are not good at alone.For example:

Stoute may be athletic, but that won't get you playing time. He is a foul waiting to happen every second on the court. Offensively, his best move is the right handed forearm to the chest of the defender, which has gotten called on him repeatedly this year, but he got away with it on his dunk this weekend.

I am a frequent observer the comments on this site . I would really love to ask corella what the hell does she be looking at on the court.From reading the stuff you post it seem to me you do not know what the hell you are lookin at most of the time. In other words you make the worst analysis of players ability.So my advice to you is leave stuff you are not good at alone.For example:

Stoute may be athletic, but that won't get you playing time. He is a foul waiting to happen every second on the court. Offensively, his best move is the right handed forearm to the chest of the defender, which has gotten called on him repeatedly this year, but he got away with it on his dunk this weekend.

Well Germel, I see exactly what everyone else sees, lots of fouls out of you. The stats don't lie. You played 222 minutes and commited 44 personal fouls, 1 every 5 minutes on the floor. Please check the stats, that is by far the most fouls per minute out of anyone on the team, Ryp is next at 1 foul every 9.5 minutes. What does that mean? Someone named Germel is extremely foul prone, and they aren't good fouls either. Everyone who goes to games with me says the exact same thing, so it isn't some pipe dream of mine.

I would have to say Jamel Staten was the best player I saw this year. I think Joe Green would have gotten Freshman of the year if he had stayed healthy. I like the fact that arrogant Josh Mueller of USD did not make the all conference team!

Isn't it too bad for whiney Mueller ??? I too am glad that he did not make it on All NCC, but then again, he did not deserve it. I tought that Ty Graham was more valuable to UNO than Dada. He probably got it b/c they were NCC champs. Which player was most valuable to their team?:lol: I would have to through Ryp into the mix big time. Look for him to be MVP next year.

I found this article, it says UND is recruiting 6-6 Brady Zubke of Park Rapids "heavily".  I can't say I have ever heard of him, a sleeper maybe?

Brady Zubke

I see where Zubke scored just 7 points against Crookston last night. ;) A name to keep in mind for the class of 2005 is Sam Sussenguth from Willmar. He's 6'8" or 6'9" and has put up some very good numbers this year. He led Willmar to a win over a pretty good Thief River Falls team last night. I have no idea whether UND has looked at him at all, though.

What about the Carr kid from Linton?  I know he's only a junior.  Too slow?

I'd say Carr has the basketball skills and the size to be a division II wing player, but his athletic ability, especially his quickness, would be a big question mark in my opinion. I'm sure he'll get the opportunity to play somewhere. Northern State would seem like a decent possibility since they have a history of recruiting North Dakota kids who weren't heavily recruited by NCC schools and having success with them.

I talked to someone recently who said that Carr is very good in football as a QB, in basketball, and in baseball as a pitcher as well, and likes all of them very much. DAC-10 schools would provide him the opportunity to do all 3 or 2/3, so that looked like a good guess as it seems he may want to play more then 1 sport.

Also, it had been rumored that Alex Belquist wants the op[portunity to play both football and basketball at NDSU. There is no way he can play basketball there, I watched for awhile last night and I didn't see anything that wouild make me think he could play there, especially now going D1.

I see where Moormann from Dickinson won Mr. BB last night. In kind of a weird statistical quirk, this is the second year in a row where Mr. BB was won by a class A player who failed to lead his team to a state tournament berth (Koenig won last year). In most states, that wouldn't necessarily be too unusual, but in ND, making it to state in class A is not exactly difficult considering there are only 17 schools contending for 8 spots in the tournament. Based upon what I saw, Glasser from Trinity was probably the best high school player in the state, but he appeared a bit cocky which probably didn't endear him to many voters. Overall, it didn't appear to be a particularly strong class of seniors, but that seems to be the case more often than not lately.