SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

All holdovers and recruits are in school and working out daily. There appears to be a great deal of raw talent but with so many new faces, it will likely take a while gel. Everyone is working hard and getting along well. Unfortunately, Franklin is having a foot problem and not able to work out.

Keith Parks and point guard, Caro Nobles, are looking very good. Neither did play last year due to lack of having enough credits. It appears they are both good kids who are now taking school seriously. Doyle and Gutter are likely to be red-shirted.

It appears that they are working hard to bring in a lot of quality opponents next year for the first year in the new building. Of course, with the NCC shrinking, there will be more non-conference games.

I also understand that UND is talking to some very well-known DII football schools about coming to Grand Forks in the next couple of years. I think they finally realize that our non-conference FB schedule needs to need be upgraded substantially.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coaching staff is really disappointed that Franklin isn't able to go right now. They are seeing good improvement in others in their one-on-one sessions, etc. Right now, it appears that Franklin will be ready by the time practice starts but I got the impression it might be somewhat questionable. The problem is with his big toe.

This will be one of the most interesting years that I can remember and I have been following UND BB for many, many years. There appear to be so many different players who could contribute - of course, that doesn't mean they will be a great team. But.... they could be!!

• 2 weeks later...
Gutter and Doyle are both on campus and working out with the guys.  They must have been omitted as they will both red-shirt.

Thanks, I figured it was probably just an oversight.

The other thing that sticks out to me is the weight, or lack thereof, of Franklin. I didn't realize he was quite that thin.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone GF seen the men's or women's team practice yet?  Curious about your thoughts if you have.

I have only seen a brief story on the WDAZ sports where they showed Derrick Franklin throwing down some dunks. I would assume "Meet the Sioux" should be within the next few weeks, so that should be a pretty good opportunity to see how the new players look in a scrimmage situation.

They will be playing the Globe Trotters in 10 days. That will be an interesting test. I guess too many people still think that this will be the "clowning" Globe Trotters of old rather than a serious game against a very good team.

Yes, that will be a very interesting game. I wasn't sure whether "Meet the Sioux" was going to occur first. I guess I assumed it was, but perhaps not.

They will be playing the Globe Trotters in 10 days. That will be an interesting test. I guess too many people still think that this will be the "clowning" Globe Trotters of old rather than a serious game against a very good team.

When did the Globe Trotters stop clowning around? Last time they were in the Fargodome they were up to their old antics.

I can't wait to see Rich Glas get taunted with the bucket. Is it water or is it confetti? ;)

They were at the Fargodome in April. They still clown around.

My understanding is that when they play college teams, it's a legit game. They are trying to win, just like the college teams are. When they play the Washington Generals or whatever their "opponent" is called these days, it's a show. That was what was in the Fargodome, and what was at REA last year. I plan on going, so I'll post afterwards whether it was a competitive basketball game or just a bunch of clowning around.

They were at the Fargodome in April. They still clown around.

there are two different Globetrotters teams.

The clowning around one played at the ralph last year, around the same time they played at the Fargodome.

The competitive team is made up of players who were in the NBA, want to get into the NBA, ex-college players. etc.

This Trotter team is opening its season with UND and will play Michigan State, U Mass, Syracuse and Indiana among others in the college exhibition season. These teams certainly would not "stoop" to playing a nonserious game.

It should be a very good test for UND - probably more than they can handle with so many new faces.

According to the Herald today, Aaron Austin has left the team for "personal reasons." This is a big loss. It was quite apparent from watching last night's exhibition game against the Globetrotters that the Sioux need another scorer, and I had thought Austin would be it until I read the paper today. I had thought it was strange that he wasn't there last night.

This seems to be a lot more common with juco's. Whenever NDSU signs one, I don't get really excited until they've played about half the season. I'm not trying to flame here, but there seems to be alot of attrition on the UND basketball team lately. Does Glas kind of turn off some players or what. To be fair, I think NDSU's football team suffered very high player departures during the Babich era.

This seems to be a lot more common with juco's.  Whenever NDSU signs one, I don't get really excited until they've played about half the season.  I'm not trying to flame here, but there seems to be alot of attrition on the UND basketball team lately.  Does Glas kind of turn off some players or what.  To be fair, I think NDSU's football team suffered very high player departures during the Babich era.

I didn't really look at Austin as a traditional juco player since he was from the area (Hallock) and was already a proven NCC player, having played at UNC two years ago. My understanding of why he transferred from UNC to Fergus Falls was in large part to be closer to home. And obviously, Grand Forks is closer to Hallock than is Fergus Falls. I have no idea why he left the team, or whether he's still in school. Perhaps UND fan will have some inside info.

With regard to Glas, there are many who have some questions about him as a coach, but I think pretty much everyone agrees that he's a nice guy and I very much doubt that he is responsible for turning players off with his personality.

Thanks for your opinions.  Do you know who's going to play the point for the Sioux this year.

Another juco player--Caro Nobles. He looked pretty quick and seemed to be a good ball handler, but made some ill-advised passes last night. He has a nice-looking jump shot also. He originally signed with Baylor out of high school.