SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Recruiting

UND Fan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Costigan just received an offer from UW - I would guess there is a good chance he will be playing in madison next year!

I assume the two commitments of ND kids are firm:

Updated list of UND offers:

Marcus Trotter Milwaukee Marquette 6'1", 220, LB Has offers from UNI, Indiana, IL State, Wofford

Michael Trotter Milwaukee Marquette 6'0", 200, DB Committed to Badgers

Matt Eggen La Crosse 6'5", 290, OL Committed to Gophers

Cameron Botticelli Milwaukee Marquette 6'5", 238, LB/DE To walk-on at UW

Kyle Costigan Muskego, WS 6'5", 250, OL/DE Has offers from USD, IL State, UNI, SIU, NDSU, NIU, UW

Grant Olson Wayzata 6'2", 220, LB Has offer from NDSU, Army, WY

Bryce Dietz Lincoln, NE 6'5", 285, OT Committed to Ohio

Yusef Wade Lincoln, NE 5'11", 175, CB No other known offers

Ryan Smith Wahpeton 5'7", 163, RB Committed to NDSU

Trey Demler Oshkosh, WS 6'1", 183, QB Committed to UND

Sam Cunningham Hudson, WS 6'5", 300, OL Has offer from SIU, E MI

Billy Turner Arden Hills, MN 6'5", 270, OL Committed to NDSU

Max Busher Rosemount, MN 6'1", 215, LB Has offer from NDSU

Jesse Hinz Beatrice, NE 6'4", 280, OL Committed to NDSU

Trevor Gebhart Sioux Falls Wash. 6'2", 180, WR Committed to NDSU

Tracy Clark Pittsburg (CA) 5'10", 175, CB Committed to Wash St.

Jeremy Gordon Milw. Riverside 6'1", 220, DE No other known offers

Eric Oertel Racine Lutheran 6-2, 198, RB-LB Committed to Wash St

Ekenna Anya-Gafu Sacramento, CA 6'3" 230 LB/DE Committed to UND

Chad Gilson Urbandale, IA 6'1, 215, RB-LB Offers from E IL, NDSU, UNI

Aaron Esala Ashland, WS 6'4", 305 OL Offers from NDSU, USD, St. Cloud, Winona, UMD

Zach Vraa, Rosemount, MN 6'3", 200 WR Has offer from NDSU

Jake Miller, Bismarck, ND 5'11", 165 RB Committed to UND

Baylee Carr, Hazen, ND 5'10", 175 RB Committed to UND

Feel free to update with any new info.

Totally agree. But we have a lot more to offer than SDSU in school, town, facilities.

To be the size of Miller you'd better be blazing fast at this level and from what I've witnessed he doesn't possess that type of speed.

Of course both of these might be partial scholarships and that is a bit different.

I just don't want us to offer kids because they are from N.Dak. I want to offer kids that can help us get to a level we can compete for a national championship.

Sorry for the negativity. I have just been very frustrated with what I have seen out of my two fav. sports..mens BB and football....

There is a misconception in recruiting (for football anyway) that every kid needs to be a superstar. While it is true that UND needs to land high talent recruits like Demler, it is also important to bring in kids that are good fits for the program in other ways (character, work ethic, etc). Of course recruiting is an inexact science, but coaching staffs that recruit in this fashion rather than worry about how many stars rivals.com has given a kid, will generally succeed.

If UND is going to take a chance on borderline kids (not saying these two are, because I haven't personally seen them play), I'd rather have them be local because the chances of them working hard and sticking with the program are likely better than if UND is taking the same type of player from Texas or California, or to some extent, even Wisconsin.

There is a misconception in recruiting (for football anyway) that every kid needs to be a superstar. While it is true that UND needs to land high talent recruits like Demler, it is also important to bring in kids that are good fits for the program in other ways (character, work ethic, etc). Of course recruiting is an inexact science, but coaching staffs that recruit in this fashion rather than worry about how many stars rivals.com has given a kid, will generally succeed.

If UND is going to take a chance on borderline kids (not saying these two are, because I haven't personally seen them play), I'd rather have them be local because the chances of them working hard and sticking with the program are likely better than if UND is taking the same type of player from Texas or California, or to some extent, even Wisconsin.

Very true. Keep in mind also that there's something to be said for productivity even if a kid doesn't necessarily have blazing speed or a 40" vertical or can bench 225 pounds 20 times. I don't know anything about Carr, but Miller was extremely productive for probably the best high school program in North Dakota. He seems like the type of kid SDSU has been having a lot of success with lately. Given a choice between a kid with all the measurables but modest productivity, and a kid without great measurables but with great productivity, I'll take the latter most of the time.

Given the already excellent performance of the class of 2008, and the rumored potential of the class of 2009, I can't second-guess Mussman as an evaluator of talent.

To be the size of Miller you'd better be blazing fast at this level and from what I've witnessed he doesn't possess that type of speed.

Of course both of these might be partial scholarships and that is a bit different.

I just don't want us to offer kids because they are from N.Dak. I want to offer kids that can help us get to a level we can compete for a national championship.

Sorry for the negativity. I have just been very frustrated with what I have seen out of my two fav. sports..mens BB and football....

What don't you like about Miller? The kid put up great numbers for the best team in North Dakota. You can't argue that he can't play the game. Some guys can just play and get it done. I think there where more than one good back in ND this year. There where two that where almost identical players and we got one. As far as Carr, I'm willing to take a chance on a kid that averaged more than 10 yds per carry. I made a few phone calls to some work associates I have from the western part of the state and heard a lot of good things about this guy. Heard he is a guy with a lot of talent. These are guys that saw him play on more than one occasion and a guy that coached against him was very impressed. Overall I'm very happy.

fgoSioux, every post you have is negative in some way so you may as well go back to bisonville. I'm sure in your mind these guys aren't good enough to play for your 3-8 bison. Thats fine, we'll let the coaches at UND who have put together 3 real solid recuiting classes in a row do thier thing. If you where a Sioux fan and been to a game this year you would know that.

Per Marlin Lee at Wisconsin Sports Network, UND now showing interest in Homestead DE John Laihinen (6'3", 240). He reports a walk-on offer from Indiana but no other FBS/FCS offers. Names to 2009 1st team defense by Wisconsin High School Coaches.

Oh and don't blame Nick Mertens; I fear he suffered from "average" coaching after he left high school. ???

What don't you like about Miller? The kid put up great numbers for the best team in North Dakota. You can't argue that he can't play the game. Some guys can just play and get it done. I think there where more than one good back in ND this year. There where two that where almost identical players and we got one. As far as Carr, I'm willing to take a chance on a kid that averaged more than 10 yds per carry. I made a few phone calls to some work associates I have from the western part of the state and heard a lot of good things about this guy. Heard he is a guy with a lot of talent. These are guys that saw him play on more than one occasion and a guy that coached against him was very impressed. Overall I'm very happy.

fgoSioux, every post you have is negative in some way so you may as well go back to bisonville. I'm sure in your mind these guys aren't good enough to play for your 3-8 bison. Thats fine, we'll let the coaches at UND who have put together 3 real solid recuiting classes in a row do thier thing. If you where a Sioux fan and been to a game this year you would know that.

That's funny..because I'm not a kool-aid drinker I'm now a Bison fan??? Funny stuff.

Again, In my humble opinon Miller is no way a Div 1 player. Not at that size without break away speed. Great he was a player in North Dakota..the hotbed for Div 1 football players.

Carr, not Div 1, Beck(Langdon) not Div 1, Gefroh GF not Div 1

Smith no doubt..Thorton??? maybe..has a lot of work to do.

In my opinion if were going to be successful a this level we can't just sign a couple of kids from N.Dak every year just to make it look good.

I want kids that can help us WIN!!!!