SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux v. Mary

bincitysioux

He's playing zone because it's part of the Princeton system that they're installing (motion, back-door cuts, team play, and zone defenses).

We'll never have the horses to play run-and-gun with the ACC or Big Ten, so why not play a style that fits the talent UND will be able to get.

OK, you run with that one, Pitino!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my last post above. Agree this a Sioux site but to make light of 2 huge wins, that we probably won't see for 5+ yrs, by another U that was also in transition is bold, brash and maybe a little ignorant. It is what it is. And until our men's BB program resembles a D1 team, I'd keep your stones in your pocket!

Again, whose making "light" of your wins? No one, not my intent. Just DON'T CARE ANYMORE!! If and when we resemble a DI product, I'll get back to you. If you don't like my posts regarding NDSU bball, stop coming here. Its the only place they can be read.

Again, whose making "light" of your wins? No one, not my intent. Just DON'T CARE ANYMORE!! If and when we resemble a DI product, I'll get back to you. If you don't like my posts regarding NDSU bball, stop coming here. Its the only place they can be read.

Please do cause I haven't seen one show up yet at the Betty.

No NDSU fan has brought up the Wisconsin and Marquette wins on this thread until now(me). All references to those wins were made by Sioux fans, not us.

IMO, judging a transitional dI program in its first year is rather pointless. Case in point, NDSU lost twice to SDSU during year one (and SDSU was not good at all), lost to a couple of dII's, and didn't have a single win vs. a non-transitional dI program. But did it really matter? No, because like UND, they were playing a bunch of players who were really not dI-caliber, and were red-shirting their entire freshman class. That's not to say that UND's current group of red-shirts is going to replicate the success of Woodwide, Winkelman and Nelson, because that's rather unlikely, but chances are they're going to be better than what we're seeing now. Of course, the question for NDSU is what's going to happen after this year. They obviously lose a lot, and it seems that most of their recruits brought in during the two or three years after the Woodside/Winkelman/Nelson group haven't really panned out very well.

No NDSU fan has brought up the Wisconsin and Marquette wins on this thread until now(me). All references to those wins were made by Sioux fans, not us.

You are correct. I think those wins by SU are very impressive and will give credit where credit is due. Some UND fans feel a win is a win is a win as it relates to the men's program. Yipee!! And by the way DSU beat VCSU last night to go a top the DAC. Just think we have a team that could be leading the DAC!!

Please do cause I haven't seen one show up yet at the Betty.

No one has. I feel totally qualified to comment on bball in the state of ND. Have been around it and coached for many years. When I see good bball at the betty, I'll be the first to let you know. It's not there now. I just don't care at all about what got done 3 years ago by ANY team. Mayville played for a National title 2 years ago.............seen em lately?

Cheer for the Bison, get them to the dance, be happy for your program. Just talk about it somewhere else. Like you said, we got our own problems @ the Betty. Ain't got time to reminise about your boys.

No one has. I feel totally qualified to comment on bball in the state of ND. Have been around it and coached for many years. When I see good bball at the betty, I'll be the first to let you know. It's not there now. I just don't care at all about what got done 3 years ago by ANY team. Mayville played for a National title 2 years ago.............seen em lately?

Cheer for the Bison, get them to the dance, be happy for your program. Just talk about it somewhere else. Like you said, we got our own problems @ the Betty. Ain't got time to reminise about your boys.

Like I said before, please do! I am obviously not as well schooled in the fundamentals of the pick and roll or Princeton offense as you or at least you are telling me.

My concern is, as Sioux supporter and booster, the product at the Betty stinks! I don't care and would never cheer for NDSU, but a win over WI is something to get my attention more than a win over VCSU. I'll be real blunt and I know other buddies that feel the same way, what is in place now is pathetic! As someone posted earlier in this thread, these wins, and how they were won, would have been questioned when we were D2 so surely there can be some concern since we are now D1.

Like I said before, please do! I am obviously not as well schooled in the fundamentals of the pick and roll or Princeton offense as you or at least you are telling me.

My concern is, as Sioux supporter and booster, the product at the Betty stinks! I don't care and would never cheer for NDSU, but a win over WI is something to get my attention more than a win over VCSU. I'll be real blunt and I know other buddies that feel the same way, what is in place now is pathetic! As someone posted earlier in this thread, these wins, and how they were won, would have been questioned when we were D2 so surely there can be some concern since we are now D1.

Oxbow,

As was stated in this thread previously, during their first year of transition NDSU played all the same teams we are playing now:

Moorhead

SWMS

Jamestown

Concordia

Dakota Wesleyan

Crookston (2x)

Si Tanka Huron

Mayville St

Upper Iowa

They did not beat one D-1 team the entire year, only transitionals. Wisconsin and Marquette were in the years after that.

You need to settle down and deal with the transition. The schedule is obviously going to get a lot better but they will always be playing an NAIA to fill the schedule. NDSU still plays NAIA teams (Mayville and Valley City State) and they are in their 5th year out. If you don

UND-1,

Thanks for the advice but I'm already being medicated. And I'm a bigger hockey fan than BB fan.

With this I'll go away so you apologists can glaot over a 2 pt. victory vs. Mayville come Monday. I don't care who we play. I don't care that we are in transition. What I do care about is paying for tickets and coming to watch a team that is barely better than the top DAC teams.

Are there going to be struggles during the transition...yes, but when you look at the big picture of this year as it relates to this team, the product is awful! I didn't expect us to beat Texas A & M, but...I've said what I needed to say in prior posts.

Once again your missing the point of what others have stated. Since you like to compare things to NDSU, I will do the same. In the first year, they red-shirted their first class of recruits thinking that they could be pretty good, to build their strength, talents, etc. The existing players they had were marginal at best and did what they could but were not very talented. UND is doing the exact same thing, we are red-shirting 7 players in hopes that they will be the cornerstone of this program for the next 4 years. The existing players are D2 level players at best as you noticed by the scores and they are taking us through this first year with the assumption that by adding in those young red-shirts next year, we are going to get a good solid lineup on the floor as time goes on.

Does this make sense now why the product is not up to your standards? Think of it this way, just because the AD told you we are D1 doesn

Not to mention most of those 5 players are on the court right now. And considering the Summit standings, it seems they have no problem with focus. I hope UND is learning something.

Correct. Assistant coach Moody even said as much at the last Sioux Boosters meeting in Fargo. He said we would be fooolish not to look at the blueprint of how NDSU has been able to be successful in their transition.

We are not going to be getting too many NBA type players as a D 1 program which is why we are not implementing a dribble drive athletic based offense but rather the Princeton type offense and while it's implementation may not fit the players that are currently in our program, you have to look at the big picture and I think I will give coach Jones and his staff the opportunity to build the program and recruit the pieces for this system.

Give them a little time.

Mary was down 20 against Duluth early in the second half last night and won in OT 80-77. Duluth is the top team in the NSIC. I"m not saying UND should strive to be like a top D II team, I'm just saying that Mary is a very capable team.

I agree with Sica, the Sioux will never have the manpower to be a top DI team, but they could make some noise with fundamentally sound players in a disciplined offense such as the Princeton style. A good fundamentals coach is required. Is Jones that coach? That is to be determined.

If "Wining " was easy why isn't everyone doing it....?

Check Tim Miles last year at NDSU he won over 20 games...Great...70% of those wins came against Teams with losing records....

1 signature win that year was Marquette

Check Coach Miles out right now at Colorado St. Should have taken his big 3 w/him.

Check Coach Miles out right now at Colorado St. Should have taken his big 3 w/him.

I follow Tim allot, he is a good friend...Last year he did not win a conference game in the MWC. This year started off great, had a tough loss in the Timmy vs Tubby showdown, that started a little run of back luck. Just had a "Big" win last week however against UNLV....

I think Tim's situation was a little like Mac's at ISU, program was way down, and that takes time to rebuild, plus I think both of them now realize how much better the talent level is to compete in the upper part of D1 (major conferences)

That will be the hardest job for UND (imo) is getting the players that want to come here....? Check outside lately......?

I follow Tim allot, he is a good friend...Last year he did not win a conference game in the MWC. This year started off great, had a tough loss in the Timmy vs Tubby showdown, that started a little run of back luck. Just had a "Big" win last week however against UNLV....

I think Tim's situation was a little like Mac's at ISU, program was way down, and that takes time to rebuild, plus I think both of them now realize how much better the talent level is to compete in the upper part of D1 (major conferences)

That will be the hardest job for UND (imo) is getting the players that want to come here....? Check outside lately......?

Anybody watching Jake's group today? Wow. That 1st half was as good a zone offense as I've seen at any level. I know making shots makes it look better, but the execution to get open looks, awesome. Jake wins the MVC this year and he may find himself coaching a Big 12 or Big 10 team next year. Great job today, for sure. :)

Anybody watching Jake's group today? Wow. That 1st half was as good a zone offense as I've seen at any level. I know making shots makes it look better, but the execution to get open looks, awesome. Jake wins the MVC this year and he may find himself coaching a Big 12 or Big 10 team next year. Great job today, for sure. :)

I almost got banned last week posting in the "How do we get rid of Jake?" thread on panthernation.com....

I love message boards, Jake has won more games in his 1st 2 years at UNI, than any BBall Coach in their History, and they wanted to dump him......If Tim Miles can parlay 2 signature wins into a New Job (Wisconsin/Marquette)..... Watch out what you wish for UNI, maybe Jake will climb a ladder or two...

He has beat this year S.Ill (1st time 11 years), Creighton (1st Time 13 years), Drake (1st time 9 years), all on the road...Got them sitting right now 1st place in the Valley, best start ever at 6-1

I almost got banned last week posting in the "How do we get rid of Jake?" thread on panthernation.com....

I love message boards, Jake has won more games in his 1st 2 years at UNI, than any BBall Coach in their History, and they wanted to dump him......If Tim Miles can parlay 2 signature wins into a New Job (Wisconsin/Marquette)..... Watch out what you wish for UNI, maybe Jake will climb a ladder or two...

He has beat this year S.Ill (1st time 11 years), Creighton (1st Time 13 years), Drake (1st time 9 years), all on the road...Got them sitting right now 1st place in the Valley, best start ever at 6-1

We should all be proud of him. I believe he did it the right way. Asst. for many years w/different head coaches. He got to see what works and what doesn't. When it was his time, he had a solid plan in place and went with it. Today's game was a clinic. They won by 25 but it wasn't that close.

We should all be proud of him. I believe he did it the right way. Asst. for many years w/different head coaches. He got to see what works and what doesn't. When it was his time, he had a solid plan in place and went with it. Today's game was a clinic. They won by 25 but it wasn't that close.

I agree. He earned his shot, and is making the most of it. I'm very much looking forward to the UNI game in Grand Forks next year.