SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname/Logo Affecting Conference Affiliation

bincitysioux

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't personally blame Gene Taylor because he seems like a nice guy but he was under UNBELIEVABLE pressure when the ag college moved up. Mummy CHAPMAN said..."DO IT!" and it was up to GENE to make it happen. The fact that he CRIED the day ndsu got conference membership EXPLAINS it all!

It was a long, tough road HE navigated - while CRAPPY/CHAPPY was only worried about his next perk he could screw the NDUS out of for his own benefit (a revamped house - NO! TEAR THAT DOWN! I need a NEW HOUSE!! and MORE MONEY!! AND MORE PRESIGE!!! (and a new colostomy bag which SHALL NOT BE DISCUSSED! :sad: )

Am I missing something here? UND has reached an agreement with the NCAA about the nickname/logo and that situation will be resolved one way or the other by 2010. Where in any of this does a potential conference Commish get the right to now dictate action above and beyond an agreement between the 2 parties involved? Where does Taylor have any say in this other than being spiteful and continuing to hold UND under his foot for nothing more than revenge? This is getting pathetic! Chapman does nothing but put SU farther and farther in the red financially at the expense of his own glory. Taylor is a snotty little 12 year old playground bully, who is bent on nothing more that getting even with UND. Now you get some lame Commish of a mid-major D1 conference throwning his one testicle into the ring. UND will have the current nickname/logo at the 2010 or it won't and that will be in accordance with the agreement between UND and the NCAA. I'm a huge supporter of the current nickname/logo and I'll take whatever happens when a final decision is made based on the agreement between UND and the NCAA, but I'm fed up with NDSU and Taylor and their "see I told you" attitude. And now this D-bag from the Summitt conference is trying to wield a big stick. Can someone rub me down with Calamine lotion as I'm starting to breakout in a rash!!

Am I missing something here? UND has reached an agreement with the NCAA about the nickname/logo and that situation will be resolved one way or the other by 2010. Where in any of this does a potential conference Commish get the right to now dictate action above and beyond an agreement between the 2 parties involved? Where does Taylor have any say in this other than being spiteful and continuing to hold UND under his foot for nothing more than revenge? This is getting pathetic! Chapman does nothing but put SU farther and farther in the red financially at the expense of his own glory. Taylor is a snotty little 12 year old playground bully, who is bent on nothing more that getting even with UND. Now you get some lame Commish of a mid-major D1 conference throwning his one testicle into the ring. UND will have the current nickname/logo at the 2010 or it won't and that will be in accordance with the agreement between UND and the NCAA. I'm a huge supporter of the current nickname/logo and I'll take whatever happens when a final decision is made based on the agreement between UND and the NCAA, but I'm fed up with NDSU and Taylor and their "see I told you" attitude. And now this D-bag from the Summitt conference is trying to wield a big stick. Can someone rub me down with Calamine lotion as I'm starting to breakout in a rash!!

Boy you can really tell that your transition is going shi$$y with all the "it's NDSU and Gene's fault" posts. Laughable - Lack of leadership has brought you to this point and nothing else. Where's the big DI plan for moving up? I'll tell you, there isn't one - the leadership had the attitude if NDSU can do we sure as hell had do it. The only one making any sense is dakotadan with his post. Keep blaming other people for your troubles and see where that gets you. I don't know how much more plain it can be said, we aren't going to play you until you're done with your transition. We went through our without playing you and came out okay, are you saying that UND can't do the same?

After reading all the new posts from the last time i posted i think everyone needs a breather. Calm down Sioux fans we know that commish is an ass for shutting us out and basically crushing all hopes of keeping the nickname. But its 2010(nickname deadline) we don't start playoff eligilbility until 2012 that is now 3 years away. A lot can happen in that time, we most likely will be getting a new nickname i am actually fine with that. I a very die hard Sioux fan wearing a Sioux shirt as a type this would love to keep the name but its not going to happen. Lets change the name and move on that way teams cannot schedule us based just on a name they would have to come up with different excuses (ex. Minnesota, Wisconsin, NDSU). :sad:

McFeeley on the Summit/Nickname Issue.

Unless the Big Sky presidents change their collective mind, McFeely is correct that the Summit is the only realistic hope for a Division I conference. That is, unless UND is thinking really big and looking at MAC, WAC, etc.

Why not add us as the 12th member of the Big 10 that way the Gophers and Badgers would have to play us in conference play. LOL!! :sad:

Where in any of this does a potential conference Commish get the right to now dictate action above and beyond an agreement between the 2 parties involved?

I would think any conference has a very broad range of reasons why they could accept or deny a potential member from membership. The thinking here is backward. UND is the entity hoping that a conferece will accept the school, not the other way around. Is it really surprising that this is a hang up to conference membership?

Boy you can really tell that your transition is going shi$$y with all the "it's NDSU and Gene's fault" posts. Laughable - Lack of leadership has brought you to this point and nothing else. Where's the big DI plan for moving up? I'll tell you, there isn't one - the leadership had the attitude if NDSU can do we sure as hell had do it. The only one making any sense is dakotadan with his post. Keep blaming other people for your troubles and see where that gets you. I don't know how much more plain it can be said, we aren't going to play you until you're done with your transition. We went through our without playing you and came out okay, are you saying that UND can't do the same?

Lack of leadership? What we do have is those who won't keep their noses out of our business. There is a PROPER arrangement to handle the nickname/logo issue as already agreed apon between UND and the NCAA. Leadership? SU has a rogue Prez who is going to ask for a bailout soon because of his poor financial management of his institution. SU is a complete mess financially and who is running that ship. And Taylor, again, is gutless and deceitful. To hide behind the nickname issues, as Taylor is, is weak. No one is placing blame, but is asking those without perspective to stay the h*** out of this.

I would think any conference has a very broad range of reasons why they could accept or deny a potential member from membership. The thinking here is backward. UND is the entity hoping that a conferece will accept the school, not the other way around. Is it really surprising that this is a hang up to conference membership?

Again what is the hang up? There is something in place to resolve the nickmane issue in accordance with the NCAA.

Again what is the hang up? There is something in place to resolve the nickmane issue in accordance with the NCAA.

What if the conference wants to award membership prior to that timeline between UND and the NCAA? They choose USD or someone else.

McFeeley on the Summit/Nickname Issue.

Unless the Big Sky presidents change their collective mind, McFeely is correct that the Summit is the only realistic hope for a Division I conference. That is, unless UND is thinking really big and looking at MAC, WAC, etc.

The problem I have with McFeely's column is that the premise seems to be that there are a lot of people who fit this description:

This should scare the never-say-die nickname supporters, who believe the university should fight until the bitter end to remain the Sioux.

I guess I don't run in the same circles as these people, nor do many appear to be regular posters on siouxsports.com. And even if these people exist in larger numbers than what I care to believe, it doesn't particularly matter unless subscribers to this particular way of thinking also happen to constitute a majority of the members of the Board of Higher Ed.

Read post #772 and it may help to clear things up...

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...0&start=760

To think that the new UND Pres and AD would continue with the current nickname and logo after the timeframe set and without Tribal approval is laughable. It would be suicide for the university and that won't happen.

I don't know there is an NCAA settlement, the names changes if there is no agreement.

Seems pretty cut and dried. McFooley articles has some of the same questions some of us

have asked. Did the P.C. name crowd pressure the Summit conference.

News that The Summit League will have nothing to do with UND until it gets the nickname issue resolved has been greeted in the usual manner by the usual diehard suspects. That is to say, surely there is a conspiracy. Surely this is a means to an end. Surely there must be a rest of the story.

That is possible. One theory floated by a colleague who covers the Summit League: Would UND itself ask the league to apply pressure so the school could dump the nickname ASAP? That would pave the way for the league to visit Grand Forks soon. And that would pave the way for a possible invitation

"I don't care who you're looking at, if there's a very controversial issue that the university is dealing with, particularly with the NCAA, I would recommend that they solve it," Douple said. "And I would say the logo issue is as controversial as an issue can get. Why would I want my membership to get in the middle of that?"

Douple may well have made his comments in order to provide cover for UND's administration, but he loses credibility when he overplays the part. "As controversial as an issue can get"? - really? If he truly believes that, he is some combination of liar, idiot, or one that lacks any semblance of an imagination. And as for as his membership goes - he's made sure they'll be in the middle of it. If he wanted it to be otherwise, he could have quite simply and reasonably said something like "Their nickname is not a league issue. It is between them and the NCAA and those two entities already have an agreement in place".

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said because the Bison belong to the Summit, they would have to follow the league's stance when it comes to playing against UND.

"If we start playing them, we would be going against the wishes of our league at this point," Taylor said. "

Taylor should have just kept his fat, stupid mouth shut, but because he's such a damn idiot he couldn't help himself.

To think that the new UND Pres and AD would continue with the current nickname and logo after the timeframe set and without Tribal approval is laughable. It would be suicide for the university and that won't happen.

I never said it would happen nor do I believ it is a viable option. If we do the third option it would indeed be foolish. When you look at the settlement in legal terms this is a possibility. I would hope that our administration has been or will soon be in contact with the Summit to clear up any questions or ambiguities.

Before you make such allegations, you might want to pause to reflect on who originally sought to harm whom. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Listen whiney - despite your revisionist history the facts are that UND didn't play 'SU because even had they won (while at a significant scholarship disadvantage), they would have had their playoff chances reduced. They did it to protect UND, not to punish 'SU. Even at that, 'SU had the opportunity to play UND in GF, but 'SU deemed that to be insufferably beneath their over-inflated dignity. Also, had 'SU really wished to avoid being "surprised" by UND's stance, they could have inquired before making the jump and so been able to have alternative plans accordingly. They just assumed that UND would fall all over themselves for an opportunity to play 'SU. Perhaps some poor planning on the part of 'SU? Perish the thought!

Another classy statement by someone without a clue.
And yet you do not bother to dispute the central contention that he would have been better off to have kept quiet. Typical. Geno goes out of his way to stick a finger in someone else's eye - I'd say he's earned any vitriol that comes his way.

Listen whiney - despite your revisionist history the facts are that UND didn't play 'SU because even had they won (while at a significant scholarship disadvantage), they would have had their playoff chances reduced. They did it to protect UND, not to punish 'SU. Even at that, 'SU had the opportunity to play UND in GF, but 'SU deemed that to be insufferably beneath their over-inflated dignity. Also, had 'SU really wished to avoid being "surprised" by UND's stance, they could have inquired before making the jump and so been able to have alternative plans accordingly. They just assumed that UND would fall all over themselves for an opportunity to play 'SU. Perhaps some poor planning on the part of 'SU? Perish the thought!

Whiney? Who the heck is whining? Not me, that's for sure.

There is no league mandate to not schedule UND, the commissioner may suggest that they shouldn't be scheduled, but as you say it would take a league vote to institute a policy on not playing schools with nickname issues.

I find it hard to read this statement...
NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said because the Bison belong to the Summit, they would have to follow the league

I'm concerned with the level of animosity toward Douple here. We all agree it would be extraordinarily difficult to gain admission to the Summit witout his recommendation to the conference presidents? Where is any base level of self evaluation (by that I mean evaluation of UND and fans) of what needs to be done to be granted a site visit by the Summit along with USD? UND CANNOT afford to be passed by on this.