SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname/Logo Affecting Conference Affiliation

bincitysioux

It sounds like Douple was talking out of his a$$ a few days ago regarding Summit's interest in UND and the name/logo issue, and he's still at it.

At the end of the day, I think we are now seeing the real rationale for the state and UND caving into the NC$$. If the name/logo are going to interfere with a full transition to viable D1 status, the name/logo are going away

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like some kind of pathetic comedy. Douple is having to make up policy on the fly to cover for Taylor's lies / misstatements. Kolpack conveniently provides the "journalistic" cover.

That is exactly how I see it as well.

In listening the his radio interview, it is clear that prior to yesterday, Douple had never given any directive to his members to avoid scheduling UND because of the nickname issue. Yet, Gene Taylor either lied or erroneously interpreted Douple's actions to mean that he shouldn't schedule UND because of the nickname. If Gene Taylor had not done that, Douple never would have had any reason to "caution" the members from playing UND because of the nickname. But now he has, solely because of Gene Taylor.

I've tried to be as fair and impartial as possible with regard to NDSU and have taken their side on many of the past issues, but this is truly outrageous.

Everyone is writing to the wrong people. Write your legislator, write the governor, write a member of the Board of Higher Ed. Chapman's an employee of the state and he's using his power to inflict financial harm on another state instituation. He's abdicating his duty to serve the state. Let's turn up the political pressure and put that clown in his place.

Before you make such allegations, you might want to pause to reflect on who originally sought to harm whom. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

From Kolpack's article:

Each and every member of the Summit Conference is also a member of the NCAA. The NCAA "got into the middle" of the nickname dispute about three years ago. Why did your members not speak out at that time?

I agree with the questioning statement "why would I want my membership to get into the middle of that?" that was meant to be rhetorical. But the far better, actual question is " three years ago, why did your member schools choose to get into the middle of a dispute that should be handled by a school as they saw fit; letting that school alone either suffer the consequences or reap the rewards that resulted from their decision?"

JMHO, but this guy ought to either say "we aren't considering you for membership and here's why" or say "we're open to new members". Never mind the silly hyperbole.

Also from the above article:

If you

Before you make such allegations, you might want to pause to reflect on who originally sought to harm whom. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Yes, who sought to harm whom? Was it UND that slighted NDSU? Was it NDSU, whose president declared his school "too good" for Division II and bailed out of the NCC? Honestly, both sides in this fiasco can point fingers but the back-and-forth, he-said-she-said is getting a little old, don't you think?

If Joe Chapman and Gene Taylor -- along with the Bisonville faithful -- think its still payback time, have the stones to declare it instead of hiding behind a host of ever-more ridiculous excuses. Afraid of the fallout from the rest of the population that doesn't wear green-and-gold glasses?

Yes, who sought to harm whom? Was it UND that slighted NDSU? Was it NDSU, whose president declared his school "too good" for Division II and bailed out of the NCC? Honestly, both sides in this fiasco can point fingers but the back-and-forth, he-said-she-said is getting a little old, don't you think?

Exactly, that was my point.

EDIT: well, not quite I guess. The "too good" for division II thing is kind of silly. Both schools really were too good for division II. NDSU actually did themselves and UND a favor by pointing that out.

Also, it's worth pointing out that UND's transition will likely be a bit easier than it otherwise might have been because NDSU (and others) assumed risks and did the necesary work to, among other things, create and establish the Great West Football Conference.

This commissoner is a dumbass in general. Why would you come out in the middle of a season and tell your teams not to schedule UND and not to schedule a non-counter. Well UMKC did both and SDSU just got UND this season in baseball. So why wouldn't you say this before this was done. Then you got that p-ssy Gene Taylor scared to schedule UND because it may upset the league whatever you retard. I am so hateful on these 2 guys as much as i hate Myles Brand. I hope UND gets the nickname thing done approval or not if not change the name and get into a different conference than NDSU (hopefully the Big Sky)!!

This commissoner is a dumbass in general. Why would you come out in the middle of a season and tell your teams not to schedule UND and not to schedule a non-counter. Well UMKC did both and SDSU just got UND this season in baseball. So why wouldn't you say this before this was done. Then you got that p-ssy Gene Taylor scared to schedule UND because it may upset the league whatever you retard. I am so hateful on these 2 guys as much as i hate Myles Brand. I hope UND gets the nickname thing done approval or not if not change the name and get into a different conference than NDSU (hopefully the Big Sky)!!

Where were you 5 years ago when UND wouldn't schedule NDSU (in any sport)? Go through your transition and then we'll talk. It's simple.

NDSU has proved it doesn't need UND - Can you say the same? Can you say hypocrite!

Dan, I think the point most Sioux fans are making is if NDSU doesn't want to schedule North Dakota because UND didn't schedule NDSU five years ago, fine. But don't use the excuse that the Summit League won't let you because of the nickname/logo and hide your real reasons. Be a man about it and give the real reason.

Where were you 5 years ago when UND wouldn't schedule NDSU (in any sport)? Go through your transition and then we'll talk. It's simple.

NDSU has proved it doesn't need UND - Can you say the same? Can you say hypocrite!

Taylor has told members of the Fargo media that NDSU will not play UND as long as he is in his job, although they won't report that. This is just his way of making that happen without owning up to it. There's your hypocrite.

Dan, I think the point most Sioux fans are making is if NDSU doesn't want to schedule North Dakota because UND didn't schedule NDSU five years ago, fine. But don't use the excuse that the Summit League won't let you because of the nickname/logo and hide your real reasons. Be a man about it and give the real reason.

Precisely. Hiding behind a Commissioner's dress, and lameass comments, is not really a good way to conduct athletic scheduling.

Be careful here...wasn't this the reason Cal Poly wasn't allowed to schedule UND on the gridiron? Or were they really just afraid? :sad:

What you haven't explained is why you care. What possible difference does it make to you, or your fellow Sioux fans, if NDSU doesn't schedule UND for reason A or reason B? NDSU doesn't owe you an explanation of its scheduling policy.

What you haven't explained is why you care. What possible difference does it make to you, or your fellow Sioux fans, if NDSU doesn't schedule UND for reason A or reason B? NDSU doesn't owe you an explanation of its scheduling policy.

If it doesn't matter, why did Gene Taylor come out and say it because the conference wouldn't let him schedule it? Why lie about it?

Why is it so important what reason NDSU is using not to schedule UND? IMO the better approach is to leave it lie, and talk publicly, constantly, about how NDSU is scared to play UND, and that's the reason UND is not on the schedule.

Repeat something enough times over enough time, and pretty soon perception is reality. And that would seem to me to be the best revenge rather than beating our heads against a wall now.

Why is it so important what reason NDSU is using not to schedule UND? IMO the better approach is to leave it lie, and talk publicly, constantly, about how NDSU is scared to play UND, and that's the reason UND is not on the schedule.

Repeat something enough times over enough time, and pretty soon perception is reality. And that would seem to me to be the best revenge rather than beating our heads against a wall now.

Or you could remain publicly silent on the subject and work behind the scenes to improve the relationship between the two schools.

Your choice...

I see the seeds of an interesting marketing campaign for UND's D1 move ... :sad:

I see the seeds of an interesting marketing campaign for UND's D1 move ... :sad:

People haven't forgotten what happened a few years ago. The more UND criticizes NDSU for not scheduling UND now, the worse it looks for its behavior back then. Again, those who live in glass houses...