SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname/Logo Affecting Conference Affiliation

bincitysioux

1. Why would he present. UND hasn't applied.

2. " ... until the logo issue is resolved one way or the other ... " (emphasis added) Which means the Summit just wants this resolved. Well duh. That clock is ticking with the NCAA. And mentioning them ...

3. UND hasn't applied. So why is the Summit commenting? Did they get a nudge from someone (Myles Brand? someone else?)?

Looks like the Herald had the truncated version of the story The Summit League: Rivalry hits another roadblock

UND and South Dakota have applied for Summit League membership. Both schools consider the league a good fit geographically and athletically.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Douple has stated that UND has applied but he is not willing to forward the information on to the Presidents until the nickname is resolved...which is BS because the name is or will be resolved by the time they admit anyone into the league.

Virtually everyone agrees that UND will drop the nickname if it doesn't get tribal support, but it is not legally required to do so. Nothing in the settlement agreement forces UND to drop its nickname. If UND told the Summit, "we will drop our nickname if we don't get tribal approval by the deadline in the settlement agreement", then I agree the issue would be resolved. But we don't know what UND has told the Summit. It's not even clear Douple even knew about the settlement.

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong...UND has been taken off the NCAA list as far as being out of compliance. If Brand were to be doing this, and I don't believe he is, wouldn't the NCAA be at risk for breaking the agreements of the settlement?

Under the settlement agreement, UND's inclusion on the list has been "suspended." UND can only be removed from the list if it drops its nickname. If it gains namesake approval with the deadline, then it will be excepted from the policy.

Under paragraph 2.b., the NCAA agreed not to contact the Sioux tribes to influence tribal approval.

Under paragraph 2.g., and as part of the settlement agreement, the NCAA had to issue a statement to its members stating: "Application of the Policy to UND has been suspended...by mutual agreement bewteen UND and the NCAA. No member institution should use the Policy as a factor in scheduling regular season competition with UND. Regular season competition should be scheduled in accordance with each individual institution's own internal policies and practices."

I don't see a specific provision that would prohibit the NCAA from presuading a conference commissioner from refusing to consider UND's application from consideration because of the nickname issue, but it certainly would violated the spirit of the settlement agreement. In any event, I highly doubt the NCAA has anything to do with Douple's decision.

This latest revelation almost sounds like it was planted or some contacted the Summit to pressure them?

I wonder if that is possible. It wouldn't surprise me. Never underestimate Brand/NCAA or the P.C. crowd. (brownshirts)

This latest revelation almost sounds like it was planted or some contacted the Summit to pressure them?

The Summit League basketball tournaments for both the men and women are being held in Sioux Falls this year.
:D
They sure talk a lot for a group that's taking a lot of business to a city which has a discriminatory name.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewArticle...;ATCLID=1570040

Kevin Fee blog

Taylor said The Summit League, to which the Bison belong, has told schools to be cautious when scheduling schools with nickname controversies like UND. The Sioux are in the Great West Conference.

"I think you have to take that into consideration a little bit now," Taylor said of the nickname controversy.

That seems to be a sharp contrast to what Summit commish Douple said on the radio today. Perhaps that was why he was so squirmish when pressed on the issue.

What schools have nickname controversies like UND? Every other school has either made a deal with their namesake tribes, or has changed their name?

IMO, Taylor is losing credibility fast. I recieved an email from him today in reply to a question I asked, and he told me the exact opposite.

Kevin Fee blog

That seems to be a sharp contrast to what Summit commish Douple said on the radio today. Perhaps that was why he was so squirmish when pressed on the issue.

What schools have nickname controversies like UND? Every other school has either made a deal with their namesake tribes, or has changed their name?

IMO, Taylor is losing credibility fast. I recieved an email from him today in reply to a question I asked, and he told me the exact opposite.

What did you ask Taylor and what was his reply? I'm curious because somebody's story doesn't add up. Either Douple is lying or Taylor is.

What did you ask Taylor and what was his reply? I'm curious because somebody's story doesn't add up. Either Douple is lying or Taylor is.

They are both being less than forthcoming.

Here was the body of my email:

Mr. Taylor,

The following is an excerpt from today's Fargo Forum:

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said because the Bison belong to the Summit, they would have to follow the league

Everyone is writing to the wrong people. Write your legislator, write the governor, write a member of the Board of Higher Ed. Chapman's an employee of the state and he's using his power to inflict financial harm on another state instituation. He's abdicating his duty to serve the state. Let's turn up the political pressure and put that clown in his place.

EDITED BY MODERATOR: Let's continue the discussion without personal attacks/name calling of public figures.

Everyone is writing to the wrong people. Write your legislator, write the governor, write a member of the Board of Higher Ed. Chapman's an employee of the state and he's using his power to inflict financial harm on another state institution. He's abdicating his duty to serve the state. Let's turn up the political pressure and put that clown in his place.

With the new Board make-up, I wonder if it will tolerate continued insubordination of Board policy?

Media: maybe you can ask the Board members why Taylor, an NDUS employee, can initiate new Summit policy (using Douple) on the Sioux name that directly conflicts with both Board policy and the NCAA agreement.

Everyone is writing to the wrong people. Write your legislator, write the governor, write a member of the Board of Higher Ed. Chapman's an employee of the state and he's using his power to inflict financial harm on another state instituation. He's abdicating his duty to serve the state. Let's turn up the political pressure and put that clown in his place.

I hope it doesn't have to get to this point but unless something against the run of play happens, it may end up here. I think a better option would be to put pressure on GT and Chap through the media to be forthcoming on why NDSU and UND will not be seeing each other for a while. Make them outline all of the reasons for each sport that the 2 schools don't play each other. While FB will continue to have reasons even after UND is a counter, other sports will not. The only reason will be payback for UND's actions 5 years ago. Get them to admit this to the state what most NDSU and UND fans already know. No more hiding behind thin veiled excuses.

I hope it doesn't have to get to this point but unless something against the run of play happens, it may end up here. I think a better option would be to put pressure on GT and Chap through the media to be forthcoming on why NDSU and UND will not be seeing each other for a while. Make them outline all of the reasons for each sport that the 2 schools don't play each other. While FB will continue to have reasons even after UND is a counter, other sports will not. The only reason will be payback for UND's actions 5 years ago. Get them to admit this to the state what most NDSU and UND fans already know. No more hiding behind thin veiled excuses.

This may have worked when there were two independent newspapers in the Valley. With the Forum and Herald having the same ownership and the Forum essentially being a cheerleader for NDSU athletics we have no other choice but to start flexing political muscle within the state. They are overplaying their cards if the want to oppose conference membership for UND, which I believe is the true root cause of all of this. I spoke with a former NDSU athlete about a year ago and he flat out told me that as long as Gene Taylor and Joe Chapman work at NDSU the rivalry will never be renewed. They're the only roadblock right now to renewing the rivalry and possibly to conference affiliation for UND. It's time UND alumni flex their power in the state and have these two taken down a peg

P.S.- I apologize for my earlier harsh comments regarding Taylor, but sometimes it's best to call a spade a spade.

Does the open records law apply in this case? If so then how bout a reporter or 2 get the transcripts of any and all emails and minutes from any meetings held as "the Summit League" and see when and where and which league members said what in regards to UND joining the Summit and also with regard to scheduling The Sioux in athletic contests.

If this is done, I think Chapman and Taylor may have some explaining to do to their employer...the problem is they seem to think that they are self-employed and don't answer to the NDBOE and the university system and only go to them with their handout.

Does the open records law apply in this case? If so then how bout a reporter or 2 get the transcripts of any and all emails and minutes from any meetings held as "the Summit League" and see when and where and which league members said what in regards to UND joining the Summit and also with regard to scheduling The Sioux in athletic contests.

If this is done, I think Chapman and Taylor may have some explaining to do to their employer...the problem is they seem to think that they are self-employed and don't answer to the NDBOE and the university system and only go to them with their handout.

This stuff makes my head spin. Whey would these guys do something like this? Are they that worried that UND might be kicking their @$$ on the athletic field some day soon? What the heck is NDSU scared of?

This may have worked when there were two independent newspapers in the Valley. With the Forum and Herald having the same ownership and the Forum essentially being a cheerleader for NDSU athletics we have no other choice but to start flexing political muscle within the state. They are overplaying their cards if the want to oppose conference membership for UND, which I believe is the true root cause of all of this. I spoke with a former NDSU athlete about a year ago and he flat out told me that as long as Gene Taylor and Joe Chapman work at NDSU the rivalry will never be renewed. They're the only roadblock right now to renewing the rivalry and possibly to conference affiliation for UND. It's time UND alumni flex their power in the state and have these two taken down a peg

P.S.- I apologize for my earlier harsh comments regarding Taylor, but sometimes it's best to call a spade a spade.

Now everything is NDSU's fault. You guys are unbelievable. Where was all this "lets play NDSU" during our transition??? We went through it without you, now its your turn. You sound like little girls when things don't go your way. Because things aren't going your way it has to be someone elses fault. UND made this situation your in and you have no one to blame but the administrators at UND. No one is pulling Douple strings. Is it NDSU's fault that you scheduled SFU in 09 & 11? How about the NCAA lawsuit?? Douple's opposition to the nickname?? It's always easy to blame someone else instead of looking within isn't it ?