SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at UC Davis

fightingsioux4life

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add...we are essentially a Division II team. UC Davis has what, 5 years on us? I think the boys had a decent performance tonight, it was a 10 point deficit, we had a great 9 minute drive where we stuck with the run, but we didn't get points. That was the gamechanging drive. Add the drop by Nicholas in the endzone later on, then the missed FG...we had chances, it just wasn't in the cards tonight.

I should add...we are essentially a Division II team. UC Davis has what, 5 years on us? I think the boys had a decent performance tonight, it was a 10 point deficit, we had a great 9 minute drive where we stuck with the run, but we didn't get points. That was the gamechanging drive. Add the drop by Nicholas in the endzone later on, then the missed FG...we had chances, it just wasn't in the cards tonight.

i'm going to strongly disagree with you, but we are all entitled to our opinions. the way you talk sounds like northern colorado and we all know what happened to them

I would go along with that theory.....except that we struggled against Western Washington last week at home (a Division II team). There have been too many apathetic performances by the defense this season and the previous two seasons to write it off as "Well, we are still a Division II team so it isn't a big deal". This year's defense would have trouble stopping Omaha, Central Washington and who knows how many other ex-NCC teams.

Davis is a good team, still have a chance at the FCS playoffs.

We are going to run into a lot of "darn good football teams" in DI FCS. Is this what we can expect when we play "darn good fotoball teams"? Are we going to settle for beating below average to average teams? I know we are in our first season of FCS play, but how come I keep thinking that our teams from earlier in this decade would have done better than this?

Someone please tell me why this loss shouldn't tick me off?

I would go along with that theory.....except that we struggled against Western Washington last week at home (a Division II team). There have been too many apathetic performances by the defense this season and the previous two seasons to write it off as "Well, we are still a Division II team so it isn't a big deal". This year's defense would have trouble stopping Omaha, Central Washington and who knows how many other ex-NCC teams.

Montana had major trouble with Central Washington, so that's not a good benchmark. Been listening to the Aggie broadcast, and they complemented the UND offense, but questioned UND's defensive speed saying it seemed apparent UND hadn't seen speed like UCD has.

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but I think one thing should be abundantly clear--the co-coordinator experiment has now lasted nearly three seasons, and I don't think anybody is particularly happy with the defense during that period of time. Mike Mannausau is the associate head coach, which I interpret as being second in command of the entire program. Why not give him a chance to completely run the defense? Or possibly even bring back Eric Schmidt?

Stats:

Total Offense: UC Davis 415, UND 245

First Downs: UC Davis 28, UND 14

TOP: UC Davis 33, UND 26

UND held to 68 yards net rushing

Murray: 11 car 82 yards

Denham: 321 pass yards

Somewhat curious to me is why UND did not seem to try to run the ball more. They seemed to go away from it rather early. Murray was having success in the first half. It seems to me when your defense is allowing the opponent to walk up and down the field at will, you would want to pound it at them on offense, to keep the D off of the field. It seems to me like Murray's carries were limited by our own coaching staff, rather than what the Aggies were doing.

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but I think one thing should be abundantly clear--the co-coordinator experiment has now lasted nearly three seasons, and I don't think anybody is particularly happy with the defense during that period of time. Mike Mannausau is the associate head coach, which I interpret as being second in command of the entire program. Why not give him a chance to completely run the defense? Or possibly even bring back Eric Schmidt?

I agree, and I don't also want to throw anyone under the bus, but "Co-Coordinator" Kelling is responsible for the secondary, and that has been our weakest spot the last couple years. And this year, with Hawkins, Otto, Manke, Watkins, and Ankenbauer, I feel we have more talent in the defensive backfield than we had in 2006 and 2007.