SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

The Wild is (are?) definitely high on Roche. They've taken alot of time to develop him and it seems like its paying off for him. I think he has a very good chance to start this season.

I honestly used to *hate* McAlpine when he was at Minnie. A very good, aggressive player, who tended to make the Sioux look worse than they were. :D:0 Was there another McAlpine besides Chris around that same time?

The Wild is (are?) definitely high on Roche. They've taken alot of time to develop him and it seems like its paying off for him. I think he has a very good chance to start this season.

I honestly used to *hate* McAlpine when he was at Minnie. A very good, aggressive player, who tended to make the Sioux look worse than they were. :D:0 Was there another McAlpine besides Chris around that same time?

There was a Mike McAlpine who played a couple of seasons for the Gophers around 93/94, but I don't know if they are brothers.

I used to think of McAlpine the same way opposing fans probably thought of Jason Blake - a player you hate, but would love to have on your team.

Scott - Mike and Chris McAlpine were first cousins. Chris is from Roseville and Mike from South St. Paul. Mike's dad was a goalie for SSP in the early 60's with Wooger - and has the mug to prove he didn't need no stinkin' mask. Chris' dad used to be in charge of the bomb squad with the St. Paul polce dept.

Karl just needs his chance to proove he has what it takes to play at the NHL level. That chance might come if the NHL continues limiting the size of goalie pads. He did play one preseason game and made 8 saves on 9 shots...not too shabby considering it was one of the first times to play with some of the big dogs.

For now I'll be happy following him as he out-plays Pascal Leclaire again :D

FYI, Hale looked good in Friday night's pre-season game and it sounded (just listened to webcast) like he played well Saturday night on the Island.

He (like DeMarchi) still isn't showing his physical side and backed off immediately when he had a couple of chances to show that he could fight or at least rough it up (I'm not a fighting fan, but pre-season is the time for babies to show that they can, if necessary). He needs to get that edge - Burns even had a complaint that none of the D other than Stevens is showing it (Brown has been in several fights, but hasn't necessarily been hitting hard - of course, I mostly saw Stevens MISS hits).

Pictures are all now up from training camp and pre-season games; I hope to have the player index (Devils only - way behind on others) updated by the first home game and then stay current for Devils' players within a couple of games. Hale played in the home games vs. the Islanders and the Rangers. - http://devsrule.com

Lamoriello made some comments to the media about not having to sign Tommy Albelin until DECEMBER 1 (to be eligible for playoff play) and that Tommy could skate as a coach in practice. Hopefully this is a good sign for Martin and Hale although there is still Sean Brown in their way of being partners (for the most part they've looked good together - in the Rangers games which only featured one, they paired Martin with Niedermayer and Hale with Stevens, a bit odd doing like with like - Giroux also got Rafalski, another like with like) and Giroux has the seniority, did fine last year in a call-up in his favor, but the upside for the other 2 is soooo much greater.

Anyway, the teams have to be pared down to 23 by Tuesday.

-melissa

DeMarchi was sent down earlier without getting a chance in a pre-season game :-(.

He wasn't playing "his game" during the first few days of training camp that I was able to watch and there were just too many new players going for the openings. I think if he can show a bit of a nasty streak in Albany and Hale doesn't, that we could see a switch. The Devils do have more invested in Hale, both in contract $s and a higher pick.

-Melissa

FYI, Hale and Martin are definitely (well, unless they fall down the bus steps) playing tonight - 8 p.m. EST - against the Bruins. The Wild game is one of the alternative ESPN broadcasts so you may need to go to a bar or check out your Center Ice channels to see Hale's pro debut.

-melissa

Anybody know how much Center Ice costs? Or whatever the equivalent is for Midcontinent? I live in a University Apartment (which means I don't know if I can get it anyways) but I don't want to call those people and be connected with some poor Joe who only wants to sell me the package and not answer questions.

Anybody know how much Center Ice costs? Or whatever the equivalent is for Midcontinent? I live in a University Apartment (which means I don't know if I can get it anyways) but I don't want to call those people and be connected with some poor Joe who only wants to sell me the package and not answer questions.

I just signed up for NHL center ice. It is $139.00 for the season.

Also, last year during the NHL playoffs MLB was on the same channels and I got some extra out of market baseball game for free for a few weeks...

FYI, Hale and Martin are definitely (well, unless they fall down the bus steps) playing tonight - 8 p.m. EST - against the Bruins. The Wild game is one of the alternative ESPN broadcasts so you may need to go to a bar or check out your Center Ice channels to see Hale's pro debut.

-melissa

Are you serious, SCORE... Should be a good game if the B's can get goaltending.