SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

You can add Matt White to the list of Sioux recruits:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=37509

Since he is only a junior, that would put him at least 2 or 3 seasons away from attending UND.

nice........added him below..3 future sioux for des moines playing under jp parise. forgot he was the gm and head coahc there. nice!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - Camrose - AJHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188

NICK MATTSON - D - NTDP U18

DANNY MATTSON - F - Holy Angels - HS

MIKE FINK - F - Waterloo - USHL

JOE GLEASON - D - Des Moines - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Chicago, 7th Rd, #192

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - Des Moines - USHL - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108

MIKE CICHY - F - Tri-City - USHL

DANNY KRISTO - F - Omaha - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Montreal, 2nd Rd, #56

DEREK FORBORT - D - Duluth East - HS

MATT WHITE - F - Des Moines - USHL

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - Camrose - AJHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - Des Moines - USHL - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108

We have a few decent recruits in this bunch but I wonder where they will rank behind Mn vs. other WCHA recruiting classes.

DANNY MATTSON - F - Holy Angels - HS | 3 assists Tue vs. Red Wing

Per. Brad's Blog

World Junior team announcement coming

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Note: this will be the first year in a long time that no player on the Sioux roster has WJC experience (Chorney and Oshie were too old last year but they played in previous years). David Hale played in the 2000-1 WJC team and began his UND career on the 2000-1 team.

Players like Jones, Greene, Parise, Murray, Stafford, Spriko, Lee, Chorney, Oshie, Toews have followed.

There is much discussion in other threads on this board about the talent level on this year's team. WJC experience is one barometer to confirm there is no "elite" level player on this team.

That does not mean this team cannot make a run, but it is unlikely. Looking back at recent NCAA champs, Mich State had probably the least amount of talent and they had some WJC experience (Abdelkader, who is now playing in the bigs with the Wings).

Kristo will probably start a new string next year.

Kristo did make the roster for USA

http://www.usahockey.com/world_junior_cham...etailedNews=yes

4 NCAA players were invited to Team Canada's tryout camp.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=11732

Cody Goloubef - WI

Brendan Smith - WI

Patrick Wiercioh - Denver

Riley Nash - Cornell

This may be a dumb question, b/c the answer is something obvious that I am missing (age or country of birth), but no one ever discussed Cichy as a possible addition to the junior squad?? I thought he was just as good if not better than Kristo at the last junior tournament. Is he too old or young? Is he a Canadian? I think Kristo is highly skilled and am happy he made it, but I would think that Cichy would have also been able to contribute as much as some of the other additions. Thanks for any info.

I wish he were here already.

FYI - he is older than Jordan Schroeder and about the same age as Fienhage and D Toews, which is why Kristo was draft eligible last year - Schroeder was too young.

yeah i do as well. he will probably be the 13th forward which is still great for him and im sure his international success lately is a reason he made this team. maybe he started later in school when younger. he, cichy and danny mattson are gona do big things!

i believe the nhl network will be paying the usa games

yeah i do as well. he will probably be the 13th forward which is still great for him and im sure his international success lately is a reason he made this team. maybe he started later in school when younger. he, cichy and danny mattson are gona do big things!

i believe the nhl network will be paying the usa games

NHL NEtwork will air all USA, Canadian, and Medal Round games.

So, went to the Fargo/Des Moines game tonight. I hate to admit that I wasn't paying much attention (row of cute guys behind me, insert blush) but from what I did see:

Both teams kind of sucked and it was kind of a boring game. I saw White's goal, and Bruneteau's assist, but missed the other White goal and Gleason's assist. Gleason did seem to be out on the ice for most of the game, but wasn't doing a whole lot other than skating around and touching the puck every once in a while. Bruneteau was very active on the ice, all over the place, doing what he could. White seemed pretty good, too, from what I saw. Crandall, the Des Moines goalie, was really good especially in the 3rd.

Just my 2 cents.

I wish he were here already.

FYI - he is older than Jordan Schroeder and about the same age as Fienhage and D Toews, which is why Kristo was draft eligible last year - Schroeder was too young.

Schroeder will be a top ten pick this year. I think a year in the USHL will do wonders for Kristo and he will be an impact player next year!

This may be a dumb question, b/c the answer is something obvious that I am missing (age or country of birth), but no one ever discussed Cichy as a possible addition to the junior squad?? I thought he was just as good if not better than Kristo at the last junior tournament. Is he too old or young? Is he a Canadian? I think Kristo is highly skilled and am happy he made it, but I would think that Cichy would have also been able to contribute as much as some of the other additions. Thanks for any info.

Cichy is an American born player I believe from CT. Apparently not good enough for the WJ team...I was surprised Hoeffel made it as well as Fairchild from the Goofs.

Hopefully someone made it to the game in Fargo tonight to give us their reactions but from seeing the boxscore...Bruneteau assist, Gleason assist, Matt White(newest recruit being doubted) 2 goals! and a penalty. Danny Kristo also gets an assist in his game. good night for the future sioux boys.

Quick observations from last night:

Bruneteau will be a STUD. He is good with the puck, shifty, fast, seems calm, cool and collected. He seems like "leader material" (from my 1 game of watching him!).

Gleason was small. I never really looked beforehand to see how big he was, but I guess I envisioned he would be a big kid. He was small. Good player, logged a lot of ice time (PP, PK, etc.). Seemed like a very smart player, but will disappoint anyone who is looking for an enforcer type defenseman that can lay hits like Commodore, Green, etc.

White got 2 goals - can't argue with that. I can't remember the first, but the second was a powerplay goalmouth rebound garbage goal. That may well be where he can do his damage. He's a big kid and with a little seasoning could be good.

All in all, looks like 3 good players that will bring their own strengths to UND.

Schroeder will be a top ten pick this year. I think a year in the USHL will do wonders for Kristo and he will be an impact player next year!

Kristo has already been drafted, which means the clock is ticking on his time at UND. He will not be a 4 year player and his year at the USHL may mean he may not be a 3 year player - which is why it would have been nice to see him here this year.

I think we have room on this team for a forward who can score.

Quick observations from last night:

Bruneteau will be a STUD. He is good with the puck, shifty, fast, seems calm, cool and collected. He seems like "leader material" (from my 1 game of watching him!).

Gleason was small. I never really looked beforehand to see how big he was, but I guess I envisioned he would be a big kid. He was small. Good player, logged a lot of ice time (PP, PK, etc.). Seemed like a very smart player, but will disappoint anyone who is looking for an enforcer type defenseman that can lay hits like Commodore, Green, etc.

White got 2 goals - can't argue with that. I can't remember the first, but the second was a powerplay goalmouth rebound garbage goal. That may well be where he can do his damage. He's a big kid and with a little seasoning could be good.

All in all, looks like 3 good players that will bring their own strengths to UND.

gleason is a genoway tyoe player and you are right, in case you havent seen him he is a speedy d man who can rush the puck. will be a nice replacement for years when genoways gone. thanks for the recap

Nothing terribly impressive thus far this season. Schroeder definitely deserves it though, he'll probably be a Top 5 or 10 pick.

I think Hoeffel has had a couple injuries?

I remember seeing him play with the USDT team a couple years ago against UND and that night he was the best player on the Ice for them.

I think Hoeffel has had a couple injuries?

I remember seeing him play with the USDT team a couple years ago against UND and that night he was the best player on the Ice for them.

This year? No, not that I remember injury wise.

He's definitely a good player and has played real well this year, just hasn't been scoring goals like everyone has expected. And if you only watch UND games, the series in UND last year was arguably his best of the regular season.