SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

Anybody know who is on the short list for possible goalie recruits?

the only one I have heard of is Hartzell. However, getting a top notch goaltender might be tricky due to the fact that Eidsness is heir apparent (if not already the #1).

I'm very interested in who they target or whether or not Graeme Harrington is another Walski (quality backup/more than just a practice goaltender). If Harrington gets the nod as the #2 next year, I hope the coaches go after a quality walk on or an over-ager like Chris Rawlings from the BCHL. His stock as nose-dived since UND was originally interested in him and he wasn't all that good after interest waned (statistically anyways). However, he's a big guy (6'5) and it would be good to be able to practice against a big body like that.

But what the hey, it's just me in my armchair talkin'.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who can get TSN2 you will have a chance to watch Chichy and Kristo go up against MacWilliam tonight as Team USA plays Canada West in the Junior A Challenge Final from Camrose. Both Chicy and Kristo had an assist in yesterdays Team USA semifinal win over Canada East 5-1.

Game starts at 7pm Grand Forks time and one available prospect to keep an eye on during this game is Olsen for Canada West.

Cichy with an assist on Team USAs second goal and he scored the third goal, it is 3-1 for Team USA at the end of the first period. It was a Gregoire-like goal from a tough angle.

MacWilliam threw the biggest hit of the period with Kristo on the receiving end. I am sure they will talk about that one when they are teammates. :(

Cichy with an assist on Team USAs second goal and he scored the third goal, it is 3-1 for Team USA at the end of the first period. It was a Gregoire-like goal from a tough angle.

MacWilliam threw the biggest hit of the period with Kristo on the receiving end. I am sure they will talk about that one when they are teammates. :(

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id...me_id/1528.html

Kristo just assisted on Team USA's fourth goal, feeding Nicastro as he stormed in from the blueline on the powerplay. I can't wait to see Kristo and Cichy in the Kelly Green. Has Nicastro committed to anyone?

Then MacWilliam gets a checking from behind and misconduct and the US has made them pa with two PP goals. I think it is safe to say that the third period won't change the outcome of this game.

Now Kristo gets a PP goal of his own 7-1 USA.

the only one I have heard of is Hartzell. However, getting a top notch goaltender might be tricky due to the fact that Eidsness is heir apparent (if not already the #1).

I believe that you have to have two good goalie and be able to play either one in case of injury and bad games.

Parise and Lammy was a decent 1 - 2 punch. KG and Kohler etc.

Kristo just assisted on Team USA's fourth goal, feeding Nicastro as he stormed in from the blueline on the powerplay. I can't wait to see Kristo and Cichy in the Kelly Green. Has Nicastro committed to anyone?

Then MacWilliam gets a checking from behind and misconduct and the US has made them pa with two PP goals. I think it is safe to say that the third period won't change the outcome of this game.

Now Kristo gets a PP goal of his own 7-1 USA.

You can watch the archive of the final game at tsn.ca

sweet cichy got tourney MVP, thats great. kristo also had a hell of a tourney as he was named best player of the title game

macwilliam also named to all tourney team for canada west

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

observation of the all tourney team and future wcha players, wow

F -- Mike Cichy, UND recruit (USA)

F -- Craig Smith, Wisconsin recruit (USA)

F -- Jayden Schwartz, Colorado College recruit (CW)

D -- Andrew MacWilliam, UND recruit (CW)

D -- Matt Donovan, Denver recruit (USA)

G -- Mike Lee, St. Cloud State recruit (USA)

MVP -- Cichy

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - Camrose - AJHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188

NICK MATTSON - D - NTDP U18

DANNY MATTSON - F - Holy Angels - HS

MIKE FINK - F - Waterloo - USHL

JOE GLEASON - D - Des Moines - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Chicago, 7th Rd, #192

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - Des Moines - USHL - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108

MIKE CICHY - F - Tri-City - USHL

DANNY KRISTO - F - Omaha - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Montreal, 2nd Rd, #56

DEREK FORBORT - D - Duluth East - HS

while cichy was busy being named the mvp of the juniot A challenge and kristo was busy being named the title games best player along with canada west andrew macwilliam getting all tourney team there were a few future sioux playing in the USHL

USHL

FINK, friday 1-1=2 points (+2) in win, 2 shots in saturday loss

GLEASON, played in friday loss - no stats, -1 in saturday loss

BRUNETEAU, friday 1-2=3 points (+1) in loss, -2 in saturday loss 2 pim

while cichy was busy being named the mvp of the juniot A challenge and kristo was busy being named the title games best player along with canada west andrew macwilliam getting all tourney team there were a few future sioux playing in the USHL

USHL

FINK, friday 1-1=2 points (+2) in win, 2 shots in saturday loss

GLEASON, played in friday loss - no stats, -1 in saturday loss

BRUNETEAU, friday 1-2=3 points (+1) in loss, -2 in saturday loss 2 pim

I watched the whole game and it ended when MacWilliam got the CFB Major and Misconduct. He may not have gotten any points but he was clearly the anchor on Canada Wests blueliine and he loves to throw the big punishing hits. Plays alot like Matt Greene.

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - Camrose - AJHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - Des Moines - USHL - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108

USHL UPDATE

FINK didnt play friday or saturday , anyone know if hes hurt or just not playing again??

GLEASON 2 assists (+1) friday in loss, (-1) in saturday loss - 2nd on team in defensemen scoring with 2-2=4 points - 1st on team with overall (+2)

BRUNETEAU 1 goal, 2 assist on 3 shots friday in loss, 1 assist in saturday loss - tied for 5th in USHL scoring with 6-10=16 - 1st on team in points (16) - tied for 1st on team in goals 6) and 1st in assists (10)

CICHY 1 goal, 1 assist on 8 shots in friday win (+1), 1 assist on 5 shots in saturday loss - 2nd in USHL in shots with 60 - tied for 5th in USHL scoring with 6-10=16 - 1st on team with 16 points - 60 shots - tied for 1st in goals (6) and tied for 1st in assists with 10

KRISTO 1 goal and 3 shots in friday win (+1), 4 shots and made his penalty shot in saturday loss - 3rd in USHL in shots with 58 - 1st on team in shots with 58 - tied for 5th on team in points with 3-6=9 points -

AJHL UPDATE

MACWILLIAM 1-8=9 points in 22 games so far, 92 PIM which is 20th in the AJHL, (+10) on the year.

get to know macwilliam a little, funny stuff

http://www.camrosekodiaks.com/08_andrew_macwilliam.htm

crhis mentions his top 10 mr hockey list - mattson 2nd

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...tas.html?cat=14

kristo article

A la the Kristo Article:

Kristo does have a tendency to get away from the core aspects of his game and try to do too much.

We tend to get those every now and then... like Genoway this year. Maybe even a little of that exists in Kozek and Trupp. All are great players who'd be even greater if they just fell back into doing what they did best. Heck, Oshie his sophomore year started the year trying to do too much and he was possibly the most snakebitten winger in the WCHA for the first half of the season.

My opinion anyways.

Bear this in mind: in no way am I saying that Kristo, Genoway, or anyone else is a bad player. I just think that, when times are tough, some players try to solve it themselves rather than simply playing the game and working on what you can work on. It's not a bad thing really... not a good thing either.

USHL weekend update

FINK - didnt play again this weekend. not sure if hurt or just a healthy scratch

GLEASON - 1 assist on 2 shots, +2 saturday in a loss...

BRUNETEAU - 1 goal on 2 shots , +1 saturday in a loss...

KRISTO - 1 assist on 1 shot friday in win...1 goal on 7 shots in saturday loss

CICHY - didnt play this weekend (not sure)

andrew macwilliam has picked up the scoring this year on a worse team. he has 4-11 for 15 points in 29 games tied with potential sioux recruit dylan olsen who is his D partner. macwilliam had 13 points all of last season in 54 games. he also has 107 PIM which is 3rd highest on his team as of now. also add 3 fights and 3 game misconducts :glare:

camrose stats

anyone know if mike fink is hurt for waterloo as he hasnt played the last couple games before they too a thanksgiving break and also maybe cichy as he didnt play that weekend as well.

also nick mattson for team usa, he only shows 6 games played in the stat link for him so wasnt sure if he got dinged up. just looked and it looks like he missed 2 full months im guessign with an injury. he looks to be back and should be ready to play vs the sioux then coming up this month. they should put a no hit rule on mattson for that game :)

mattson stats

thanks if anyone has info

Per. Brad's Blog

World Junior team announcement coming

Note: this will be the first year in a long time that no player on the Sioux roster has WJC experience (Chorney and Oshie were too old last year but they played in previous years). David Hale played in the 2000-1 WJC team and began his UND career on the 2000-1 team.

Players like Jones, Greene, Parise, Murray, Stafford, Spriko, Lee, Chorney, Oshie, Toews have followed.

There is much discussion in other threads on this board about the talent level on this year's team. WJC experience is one barometer to confirm there is no "elite" level player on this team.

That does not mean this team cannot make a run, but it is unlikely. Looking back at recent NCAA champs, Mich State had probably the least amount of talent and they had some WJC experience (Abdelkader, who is now playing in the bigs with the Wings).

Kristo will probably start a new string next year.

Per. Brad's Blog

World Junior team announcement coming

Note: this will be the first year in a long time that no player on the Sioux roster has WJC experience (Chorney and Oshie were too old last year but they played in previous years). David Hale played in the 2000-1 WJC team and began his UND career on the 2000-1 team.

Players like Jones, Greene, Parise, Murray, Stafford, Spriko, Lee, Chorney, Oshie, Toews have followed.

There is much discussion in other threads on this board about the talent level on this year's team. WJC experience is one barometer to confirm there is no "elite" level player on this team.

That does not mean this team cannot make a run, but it is unlikely. Looking back at recent NCAA champs, Mich State had probably the least amount of talent and they had some WJC experience (Abdelkader, who is now playing in the bigs with the Wings).

Kristo will probably start a new string next year.

I think it's a measurement of the types of players that have been brought in the last three years. The last real blue chip class was in 2005-06, since then the last three recruit classes have not had world junior talent. Not saying that these aren't good players, but not in the likes of Parise, Stafford, Toews, Oshie, etc.

I think it's a measurement of the types of players that have been brought in the last three years. The last real blue chip class was in 2005-06, since then the last three recruit classes have not had world junior talent. Not saying that these aren't good players, but not in the likes of Parise, Stafford, Toews, Oshie, etc.

And that's why this team is 3 games below .500 vs. a fairly weak schedule to date. In a word: Recruitment! And it needs to get better!

And that's why this team is 3 games below .500 vs. a fairly weak schedule to date. In a word: Recruitment! And it needs to get better!

still a long season ahead so we will see how this team pans out but this years freshman class is very solid. next year with kristo, cichy and danny mattson should be very solid trio at the forward position. i think kristo and danny mattson will end up being a stars with the sioux along with a couple of this years frosh but what the hell do i know :glare:

You can add Matt White to the list of Sioux recruits:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=37509

I also have heard that Des Moines forward Matt White has committed to UND. I plan on chatting with White tomorrow and will have much more at that time.

Internet-surfing skills will inform you that White is from suburban Pittsburgh and that he's a 6-foot-2, 195-pound forward. He's a junior in high school and has three goals, three assists in 14 games for the Bucs.

White has played two seasons in Des Moines now. He also was part of Danny Kristo and Mike Cichy's gold medal winning team in the World Junior A Challenge a few weeks ago.

Since he is only a junior, that would put him at least 2 or 3 seasons away from attending UND.