SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Red Raiders Football Notebook 08-07-08 - www.redraiders.com

Tech will pay the University of North Dakota a $350,000 guarantee for the Fighting Sioux to come to Lubbock for the 2009 season opener.

The guarantee is a little higher than what Tech usually has paid Division I-AA schools to come in.

Bobby Gleason, Tech deputy athletic director and chief financial officer, said increased travel costs are to blame.

And we need the money.

:huh:

That is a simple fact, and if you argue it, you are letting your heart get in the way of logic.

I love it when UND fans think this - this logic is what got your AD's and presidents leaving quite regularly. Your playing catch up in research, enrollment, and transitioning to DI. Fact is you were left behind 7-8 years ago, it's just most refuse to acknowledge it. But keep thinking it!!! :huh::(

I must say, that is an awesome team to schedule, and I am jealous. But, you guys are still 4 years behind us, you could schedule whoever you want, and the truth is that we made the jump before you. To the poster that said "the big brother is now DI" or whatever. How many national championships do you guys have exactly to be called "big brother" Yes we sucked during the '90's, guess you guys sucked the 30 years before that. Can't wait til we play again, and while you guys play St. Cloud this year we actually have some games this year that count. And DaveK, you can piss and moan all you want, but you know I am right.

For the 100th time, this isn't a race. Why do NDSU fans continue to harp on the fact they started first, therefore UND will never catch up?

I don't see a finish line anywhere in site.

I love it when UND fans think this - this logic is what got your AD's and presidents leaving quite regularly. Your playing catch up in research, enrollment, and transitioning to DI. Fact is you were left behind 7-8 years ago, it's just most refuse to acknowledge it. But keep thinking it!!! :(:D

Once again:

For the 100th time, this isn't a race. Why do NDSU fans continue to harp on the fact they started first, therefore UND will never catch up?

I don't see a finish line anywhere in site. :huh:

I love it when UND fans think this - this logic is what got your AD's and presidents leaving quite regularly. Your playing catch up in research, enrollment, and transitioning to DI. Fact is you were left behind 7-8 years ago, it's just most refuse to acknowledge it. But keep thinking it!!! :huh::(

This has nothing to do with the schedule, and all of those points are very argueable and the same nonsense we have been hearing for years...it would be a great topic to start on BISONVILLE.COM. Go tell them that your big brother was picking on you again.

Using this logic why is Appalachian State taking a risk by playing LSU? Appalachian State is certainly in a position to contend for a national championship in 2008 (they are the three time FCS National Champion). They may suffer a demoralizing defeat that leaves players injured and out for the rest of the season. For what? A check? More national recognition? They have more to lose than probably anyone else in the FCS...why risk it? Why not play Miami (Ohio) instead? They must certainly realize that no BCS/FBS school will ever take them lightly again...LSU will show up to play.

Injuries? Last season our starting running back got hurt playing the Warriors of Winona State for crying out loud. Injuries can happen no matter the opponent.

Demoralizing defeat? In 1986...NDSU crushed UND 62-13 at Memorial Stadium and we never recovered. :huh:

We are broke and Chapman/Taylor/Bohl > Kelley/Faison/Mussman...yeah we get it.

Good luck to you and NDSU this season. Make some noise.

DISCLAIMER: The author of this commentary did not intend to imply that UND-TT is equivalent to ASU-LSU. The author figured he better point this out before some igit called him on it.

The Appalachian State-LSU/Michigan games occurred to me also after reading Hammersmith's post. Other examples this year are Northern Iowa playing pre season #17 BYU, and Cal Poly playing pre season #12 Wisconsin.

The Appalachian State-LSU/Michigan games occurred to me also after reading Hammersmith's post. Other examples this year are Northern Iowa playing pre season #17 BYU, and Cal Poly playing pre season #12 Wisconsin.

The likely retort will be that ASU/UNI/Cal Poly are established FCS teams...we are newbies and don't fully understand the implications of our actions.

EDIT: And we are broke...almost forgot that one.

I think it's a pretty bold assumption you're making that this game is needed to balance the budget. I know for a fact UND football alone has raised over a million dollars from donations made through the Impact scholarship program. If this were really all about money there would be no reason to schedule the Idaho game as the guarantee is likely small and will provide little revenue after the costs of flying out there. I think this game is more about UND football establishing who they are and demonstrating where they want to be. To steal a phrase from the Bi-son, we are the team that will play "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime" and we're actually walking the walk unlike our counterparts to the south.

I know many Bison fans would love it if the reason for this game was UND's football budget is in shambles and desparately needed this game to balance the budget. I don't mean to play into that, but I think it's a fair question to ask whether the game was primarily scheduled for financial reasons. I was not expecting a BCS conference opponent in the second year and the thought did occur to me. Glad to hear fundraising is going well. That makes me think the game was scheduled for the right reasons.

I see where Texas Tech is ranked 8TH in the new Sports Illustrated Magazine. That is very good and also a little scary or I mean a lot scary. By the time next years game comes around they might be number 1. We will definitely get national exposure in the game. It will definitely be exciting leading up to the game. After the game starts ....................we'll see.

I see where Texas Tech is ranked 8TH in the new Sports Illustrated Magazine. That is very good and also a little scary or I mean a lot scary. By the time next years game comes around they might be number 1. We will definitely get national exposure in the game. It will definitely be exciting leading up to the game. After the game starts ....................we'll see.

Not to beat a dead horse here and yes it's my first post....you guys say that Valporaiso was like playing a D2 game our first year...Well i'll give you guys that and you say that playing Central Michigan, Ball State, Minnesota, and Wyoming don't even compare to you playing Texas Tech.....i'll tell you guys this.......and i'll leave it at that. WE NEVER ONCE PLAYED A D3 SCHOOL IN OUR TRANSISTION.....It's funny how you SUE fans can't even mention a game like that on here.......well like I said you can play your D3 teams and have fun

Not to beat a dead horse here and yes it's my first post....you guys say that Valporaiso was like playing a D2 game our first year...Well i'll give you guys that and you say that playing Central Michigan, Ball State, Minnesota, and Wyoming don't even compare to you playing Texas Tech.....i'll tell you guys this.......and i'll leave it at that. WE NEVER ONCE PLAYED A D3 SCHOOL IN OUR TRANSISTION.....It's funny how you SUE fans can't even mention a game like that on here.......well like I said you can play your D3 teams and have fun

You may be right about not playing a NCAA III team...but I do recall you playing a certain NAIA school your first year of transition...

Oh...and welcome to the Sioux board...

DING DING....looks like we found todays winner of the "stupid post of the day" award.

Playing Montana Tech is pretty embarrassing. But, we aren't bragging about playing Wisky-Lac either so don't come in here and think your going to start an argument about it. NDSU and UND both had/have a bottom feeder on their first year schedule. End of story.

DING DING....looks like we found todays winner of the "stupid post of the day" award.

Playing Montana Tech is pretty embarrassing. But, we aren't bragging about playing Wisky-Lac either so don't come in here and think your going to start an argument about it. NDSU and UND both had/have a bottom feeder on their first year schedule. End of story.

University of Wisconsin Lacrosse is a tiny, puny crappy school...with a pretty good Division III football team. In a mythical matchup against Montana Tech, I'd take UW-Lacrosse.

University of Wisconsin Lacrosse is a tiny, puny crappy school...with a pretty good Division III football team. In a mythical matchup against Montana Tech, I'd take UW-Lacrosse.

I agree. Didn't UW-Lacrosse beat SDSU in Brookings not too long ago?

That reminds me. UND should get a lacrosse program going. :huh:

I agree. Didn't UW-Lacrosse beat SDSU in Brookings not too long ago?

That reminds me. UND should get a lacrosse program going. :huh:

Yes. Your friends down at USD are happy to confirm that D3 Lacrosse did go into Brookings and beat the Jacks.

Something you need to understand about the Wisconsing D3 schools, they are pretty good. Madison is the only state school that offers schollies. The rest are "D3" in name only. In reality, with the recruits they get and the facilites they have they are more comparable to D2.

The Sioux should win the UWL game, but it will be an entertaining one to attend.

I would assume that NDBison40 's Ist post will also be his last post. He will never get his foot out of his mouth.

The Texas Tech game is fantastic news for the football program! A game like this is certainly more than I had hoped for by year 2 of our transition. That said, it's only step 1. Step 2 includes stepping out on the field and performing. Of course, I'm hoping for a win, but I'm not holding my breath. After all, we're not playing against the team with the worst defense in all of 1-A. The main thing is we show other schools we belong, and hopefully this will be just the beginning of games like this.

GO SIOUX!

Considering the source, I'm not surprised. :huh:

Funny how you don't seem to be singing the same tune as you used to. I'll use your terms or what you said about NDSU in your "Foot In Mouth" comment about how NDSU didn't belong on the same field as a Big Ten team by saying we were "Whoring ourselves out" in that game for a paycheck. Where is your criticism now for UND "Whoring themselves out" for a paycheck? Oh and just a reminder we won the last game with Minnesota even though you didn't think we belonged on the same field as a Big Ten team. :(

.....I'll bet you could find some comments from Sioux fans excited about a 2 year contract to play 1-11 Idaho.

Of course we are excited about playing Idaho. They are a 85 scholarship FBS program that could be very winnable games, and are likely paying a decent guarantee. Excitement should be high for the first game in Moscow, as we will probably be christening there newly renovated stadium.

Sure, they have been a poor team in recent years, in fact a quick check of the Massey Ratings shows they were rated at 120 (dead last) among FBS teams last season. Only 12 spots behind Minnesota for the sake of comparison. I don't really know if that is a good indication of where they will be 2 years from now though but we'll see. At any rate, I'm excited about those two games.

I think it was mentioned a few times in the 2008 Schedule thread. But why talk about it really? Nobody is excited about it, but that is the type of games that fall into place in the first transitional year for a new DI program. Alot more common than you might think.

I don't recall anyone here giving Valparaiso the credit of being as good as any D2 team. They are just like LaCrosse, they don't have any scholarships. They are very similar except for the fact that LaCrosse wins against the other non-scholarship competition that they play, while Valpo is not very competetive against the other non-scholarship competition that they play.

Where is your criticism now for UND....................

I think it is right here.

At any rate, I'm excited for this opportunity to play Texas Tech. Could likely end very ugly, but it is just not the type of experience that many student-athletes or fans from small schools or states like North Dakota get to experience very often. And of course the pay check will be nice.

As for the game itself, it is pretty early to make projections, but my biggest concerns are what TT has done to their other recent FCS competition, and the fact that we will be breaking in a new Quarterback that game. That will be one hell of a way for a small-town QB to presumably be making his first start of his career. :huh:

Funny how you don't seem to be singing the same tune as you used to. I'll use your terms or what you said about NDSU in your "Foot In Mouth" comment about how NDSU didn't belong on the same field as a Big Ten team by saying we were "Whoring ourselves out" in that game for a paycheck. Where is your criticism now for UND "Whoring themselves out" for a paycheck? Oh and just a reminder we won the last game with Minnesota even though you didn't think we belonged on the same field as a Big Ten team. :huh:

Hey DI! U of M has ALWAYS had a "superior" attitude! If you think beating them once on the FB field is ncie...try beating them regularly in HOCKEY! It's REALLY F*CKING NICE!!!!! :(:D