SiouxSports.com Forum

Top assistant -- gone

choyt3

Chris has looked around the last couple years. I don't think it is anything against Coach Jones or UND; he just wanted his own team.

Wasn't Chris a finalist for the Dickinson State job a few months ago? I wish him the best of luck!

I have no concern about the timing. In fact, it probably is about the best timing for something like this. The recruiting for next year is done and we will be able to bring someone in over the summer who will be situated by the time school starts this fall.

Wasn't Chris a finalist for the Dickinson State job a few months ago? I wish him the best of luck!

I have no concern about the timing. In fact, it probably is about the best timing for something like this. The recruiting for next year is done and we will be able to bring someone in over the summer who will be situated by the time school starts this fall.

He was a year ago. Withdrew his name after being interviewed. He'll do well in Sioux Falls; great area, lots of players close to campus and a very good conference. Best of luck, Chris!!!

"Grand Forks was a great place, I've never been around so many passionate people about a university...as long as it was about hockey. So its really nice to be in a town where, its very obvious that this town loves basketball. And we'll get great support. So those are the things that really get me excited about USF," USF Head Coach Chris Johnson said.
Ouch.

New USF Head Basketball Coach Announced

You never hear comments like that from anyone associated with the women's program. The obvious reason? Everybody loves a winner. In the early 90's, the men's program was the toast of the town. If you don't consistently win, eventually the interest goes away. Frankly, I think that was kind of a stupid comment by Johnson considering he'll now clearly be playing second-fiddle to Augie in the city of Sioux Falls.

Why throw the people of GF under the bus? If the product was any good, we'd go watch. This has been beaten to death but look at the home non-conference schedule the men put together the last couple years; ridiculous. The fact that they were a last place team in the conference until the conference tournament doesn't change the fact that they were poor 75% of the year.

I thought Chris had more class than that. Disappointed. ;)

That quote will haunt him throughout his career.

Why?

Some day Coach Jones or AD Faison will be asked about this guy as a coach. What'll they have to say.

B.S. He probably met Faison once briefly, if at all. And I'll bet Jones shares similar frustrations. If they had a good working relationship, I doubt that some newspaper quote will undo that, and again Johnson is stating what many in the program probably feel.

B.S. He probably met Faison once briefly, if at all. And I'll bet Jones shares similar frustrations. If they had a good working relationship, I doubt that some newspaper quote will undo that, and again Johnson is stating what many in the program probably feel.

Winning would solve that problem. Remember when the Sioux had some great teams in the late 80's and early 90's. There was no problems with attendance and BB got plenty of ink. Vonesh, Guldseth, Johnson, Gardner ....

Winning would solve that problem. Remember when the Sioux had some great teams in the late 80's and early 90's. There was no problems with attendance and BB got plenty of ink. Vonesh, Guldseth, Johnson, Gardner ....

Winning solves most problems - I don't see much approvement ahead especially with starting to play DI schools.

Hockey--arena full nearly every game.

Football--coming off the best regular season average attendance ever.

Women's basketball--consistently one of the top-drawing programs in dII and voted "best fans" by the WBCA.

Al Davis said it best: "just win, baby."

Besides the opportunity to see Jerome Beasley for two years, it's been a long time since the men's program has given the fans much reason to get excited.

"Grand Forks was a great place, I've never been around so many passionate people about a university...as long as it was about hockey. So its really nice to be in a town where, its very obvious that this town loves basketball. And we'll get great support. So those are the things that really get me excited about USF," USF Head Coach Chris Johnson said.

After reading this quote from Mr. Johnson, all I can say is have fun in the NAIA. You're really moving up in the world. I'm sure you'll get a whole lot of support from the 25 people in attendance who came to watch last year's high school JV team! Hopefully you'll build up the program and have enough success that your alma mater, the basketball powerhouse known as Central College, will offer you their head coaching position. Then you can truly take your place among the greats of the game of basketball.

First of all, how many of you were at the press conference? Chris spent 5 straight minutes gushing about GF and UND, especially Coach Jones and the staff. Also, he said especially when it comes to hockey if I remember correctly, not as long as. He was trying to be funny, and that certainly doesnt come accross in print, so maybe he should have known better, but I think its ridiculous that he is being thrashed for disrespecting und after he told everyone how much he loved the people and the school. I don't know him yet, but he certaily did not throw GF under the bus or mean anything in a mean-spirited way from what I heard.

I have to agree with the previous post, he simply stated what I believe to be true, after he had already given tremendous props to our institution. I am a basketball fan first and a hockey fan 2nd here at UND, and I happen to believe that I am in the minority. Even though I'm a basketball fan you will always find me interested to see how the hockey team is doing, that included the ugly late 80's and early 90's period, but I have found it rare to find many hockey fans that could ever give a rip about how either of our basketball teams are doing on the same night--that's just the way it is. I've said before I cheer and care for UND in all sports I feel there may be a lot of hockey fans that only care about UND in hockey. And I guess that's ok to0.

I've never understood how some Sioux hockey fans feel the need to tear down other sports teams at UND so hockey's prominence is never challenged. This seems counterproductive to me. As a Sioux sports fan who'd rather stab myself in the leg than be forced to sit through a hockey game, even I've found the abilitiy to trash talk with Gopher and Pioneer alums and support the Sioux when the Final Five comes around. There's a whole lot more happening outside the REA in UND athletics and hopefully this Division I move will allow these other sports move into the limelight.

I couldn't agree more with the previous 3 posts. Not only does it have to do with probably a majority of the fans, but the media (Herald, TV) are so biased in their coverage you would hardly know there are other sports going on during hockey season. Hopefully they will try to provide a little more coverage for these other sports during this transition as well. I have often wondered if they announce the scores of the basketball games during hockey games as they do the other way around? Does anyone know..I'm guessing not, but I could be wrong. I like some of you am a basketball fan first, but I do have enough loyalty to cheer for ANY UND athletic team, even with the sometimes exemplary behavior :)

I couldn't agree more with the previous 3 posts. Not only does it have to do with probably a majority of the fans, but the media (Herald, TV) are so biased in their coverage you would hardly know there are other sports going on during hockey season. Hopefully they will try to provide a little more coverage for these other sports during this transition as well. I have often wondered if they announce the scores of the basketball games during hockey games as they do the other way around? Does anyone know..I'm guessing not, but I could be wrong. I like some of you am a basketball fan first, but I do have enough loyalty to cheer for ANY UND athletic team, even with the sometimes exemplary behavior :D

You are wrong. They do announce basketball scores at The Ralph over the PA. I can't imagine there are too many hockey games where the hockey game ended before a basketball game was over and the score was announced at The Betty.

You are wrong. They do announce basketball scores at The Ralph over the PA. I can't imagine there are too many hockey games where the hockey game ended before a basketball game was over and the score was announced at The Betty.

I've been to plenty of UND hockey and basketball games through the years. Most schools can be classified as one-sport schools no matter how much success other programs have. I currently live in Michigan, and the Wolverines have always and will always be a football school. Even when they won the NCAA men's basketball title in 1989 and the Fab Five subsequently followed, men's basketball at its peak paled in comparison to football. Once the basketball team sunk into mediocrity, it has become nearly insignificant in the state and will continue to be until it experiences success again. Florida is another example. They won consecutive basketball titles, yet will always be a football school. Once Florida's basketball teams dip in talent, they will be nearly forgotten by the majority of fans. UND is a hockey school plain and simple. Football is a close second because of its continuous success and the fact that football is such a popular sport in general. The women's team is popular because of the success it has enjoyed, but once that ends, unfortunately so will its popularity. Men's basketball just hasn't been successful. I love basketball and check UND's scores when I get the chance, but I am the exception when it comes to UND alumni and always will be. It sucks that's the way sports fans are these days, but it's a reality.

If the coaches don't understand that, then they are the ignorant ones. If any coach thinks he's going to come to UND and unseat hockey and football, he's kidding himself. Coach Jones knew the score when he took the job. If he thinks he's going to get more support at a small NAIA school, then he's going to be disappointed yet again. Those schools take a backseat to the local high school programs, so if he has a problem playing second fiddle to a powerhouse Div. I program, it's going to be a long tenure in Sioux Falls. I obviously wasn't at the press conference, I read the quote the way it was printed and thought it was a immature shot at the hockey program and UND fans. If he was misquoted or he said it as a joke, then I'm the first to admit it was a very funny one and wish him the best of luck. If it was the potshot it appeared to be, then I stand by what I've posted.

I've been to plenty of UND hockey and basketball games through the years. Most schools can be classified as one-sport schools no matter how much success other programs have. I currently live in Michigan, and the Wolverines have always and will always be a football school. Even when they won the NCAA men's basketball title in 1989 and the Fab Five subsequently followed, men's basketball at its peak paled in comparison to football. Once the basketball team sunk into mediocrity, it has become nearly insignificant in the state and will continue to be until it experiences success again. Florida is another example. They won consecutive basketball titles, yet will always be a football school. Once Florida's basketball teams dip in talent, they will be nearly forgotten by the majority of fans. UND is a hockey school plain and simple. Football is a close second because of its continuous success and the fact that football is such a popular sport in general. The women's team is popular because of the success it has enjoyed, but once that ends, unfortunately so will its popularity. Men's basketball just hasn't been successful. I love basketball and check UND's scores when I get the chance, but I am the exception when it comes to UND alumni and always will be. It sucks that's the way sports fans are these days, but it's a reality.

If the coaches don't understand that, then they are the ignorant ones. If any coach thinks he's going to come to UND and unseat hockey and football, he's kidding himself. Coach Jones knew the score when he took the job. If he thinks he's going to get more support at a small NAIA school, then he's going to be disappointed yet again. Those schools take a backseat to the local high school programs, so if he has a problem playing second fiddle to a powerhouse Div. I program, it's going to be a long tenure in Sioux Falls. I obviously wasn't at the press conference, I read the quote the way it was printed and thought it was a immature shot at the hockey program and UND fans. If he was misquoted or he said it as a joke, then I'm the first to admit it was a very funny one and wish him the best of luck. If it was the potshot it appeared to be, then I stand by what I've posted.

I know Chris, and his comment was tongue-in-cheek. Every coach out there knows they are playing second fiddle to hockey. We have even lost some recruits because their sport is second or third compared to hockey. Good luck to Chris.

I know Chris, and his comment was tongue-in-cheek. Every coach out there knows they are playing second fiddle to hockey. We have even lost some recruits because their sport is second or third compared to hockey. Good luck to Chris.

If I were an opposing coach, I'd play that card every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Basketball can, and will, be a winner at UND again in the future.

This doesn't need to be the case. Hockey's number one because UND markets the hell out of it. If they marketed football like hockey they could probably turn out bigger crowds for Sioux football. I believe anywhere between a one-quarter to one-half of the people in attendance at Sioux hockey game have no idea what is happening on the ice, but are simply coming out because it's marketed as "the place to be".

This doesn't need to be the case. Hockey's number one because UND markets the hell out of it. If they marketed football like hockey they could probably turn out bigger crowds for Sioux football. I believe anywhere between a one-quarter to one-half of the people in attendance at Sioux hockey game have no idea what is happening on the ice, but are simply coming out because it's marketed as "the place to be".

Amen. Marketing for football and basketball has been practically nonexistent, especially last year and especially outside of Grand Forks. A beefed-up advertising campaign -- and better utilization of FSSN -- will be crucial to success in the transition, IMO. And we need STATEWIDE coverage!