SiouxSports.com Forum

Great West to become All Sports Conference?

dakotadan

There's always a buyout, and it won't be $500,000.

I would be surprized if there was much of a buyout. In reality this conference is nothing more that a scheduling alliance and I would doubt UND woul have ever agreed to a painful out. There are no autobids at stake here at all.

I would suspect that all members are going to be trying to find more attractive homes, but with the moratorium on moves, this was a wedding made out of neccesity. The near term holds little or no promise of conference instability and moves. The fotball side of the conference has good teams, the all other sports part has a rather motley collection of schools. Schools that I suspect UND would not like to be associated with over the long term, but it will help fill a schedule and give the teams something to compete for during the long period of no post season.

It is like that old country western song says, "The girls all get prettier at closin' time......they all begin to look like movie stars......"

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be the one dreaming, there is no magic number for a conference, why would anyone have to leave to make room for 2 quality teams ! Only someone with a majior chip on their shoulder would be goofy enough to believe that. Check out conference numbers across the country any number can be worked out in a multitude of ways. That maybe difficult for someone to imagine that is living in a dream world however.

Your post really deserves no response it's so foolish but I'll play your game. Ask any knowledgable fan who follows different conferences. Can any number be worked out as you say? Sure but is it ideal for a conference to have say 11 teams for football? The answer to that is obviously no ( or it's obvious to knowedgable fans anyway). On the flip side do conferences see a certain number as being ideal? The answer is yes. If nobody left the conference then you have 11 teams. Go back and re-read all the different threads on many message boards and see for yourself what the majority opinion is on this topic. 11 teams is not a good number. Could it happen, I suppose but then again MNPLS might also be voted as the all time best NDSU poster on all message boards too, that will happen about the same time you buy a NDSU tailgateing rig and become a Bison fan. :lol:

Winning a title in a conference with the same name, albeit some different opponents were involved at the time, was worth enough to NDSU to get someone to spring for championship rings for the football team. It was worth enough to get those same players into the "Champions Room" or whatever it is called at NDSU.

UND, I'm sure, appreciates your concern for how this all works out for UND. :lol:

That noise you hear in your ears right now is my point.....it's passed you by.

It's not that i'm ripping the Great West (after all, it has been good to NDSU and it's football program). My POINT is this: If there is a buyout or another opportunity comes up to join a conference, the buyout (whatever that is) is money that was for the most part wasted.

The only benefit (as I stated earlier) was that there is some benefit have the ability to win a conference championship. The conference for the most part is not necessary as the "scheduling alliance" could have been kept without all the expenses associated with a conference that will never receive an autobid.

I find it interesting all the Bison supporters who feel the Great West isn't so "great" after they left. :lol:

IMHO, Sort of sounds like when SU left the NCC. :silly:

Passed by?? NDSU guy? Really? :lol:

UND leaves the NCC and the league is no more. UND joins the Great West and now all of a sudden I am reading how teams are joining so that the league has solid members and "contracts". UND might very well be following NDSU but they seem to have picked up a few pointers. UND seems to paying it's dues. And they seem to be putting their name out there. I liked how Fox news made some wise azz comment about now they should change the Great West name since the teams will be palying all over the US. Are you kidding this is great!! From coast to coast UND is going to be seen in all types of media!!

So have no fear my SU friends UND is in it for the long haul! See you soon!!

I can't speak for NDSUguy but I think he's referring to the all other sports part and not football. I think the whole deal is a good thing for UND. Not an end all be all by any means but better then going the independant route for years to come. Riverman don't make blanket statements about "all the Bison supporters" as you say. Most I know have nothing but great respect for the GWFC.

That noise you hear in your ears right now is my point.....it's passed you by.

It's not that i'm ripping the Great West (after all, it has been good to NDSU and it's football program). My POINT is this: If there is a buyout or another opportunity comes up to join a conference, the buyout (whatever that is) is money that was for the most part wasted.

The only benefit (as I stated earlier) was that there is some benefit have the ability to win a conference championship. The conference for the most part is not necessary as the "scheduling alliance" could have been kept without all the expenses associated with a conference that will never receive an autobid.

If I recall correctly, the AD said he expected the league's administrative staff would be a valuable resource to UND's coaching/administrative types on a variety of transition-related topics from compliance to rules clinics, etc., so that may be among the benefits of a league structure that wouldn't be realized by a cheaper "scheduling alliance."

In regards to the three-year commitment, I can't imagine even the most incurable optimist woud expect UND to be ready to begin play in another league in anything under 3 years, what with the current moratorium on division changes and the usual lead time for scheduling, etc.

FWII, I've always appreciated your calm, rational input here, despite suffering the occasional slings and arrows.

Monitor: UTPA announces conference membership

Given all the fanfare Friday morning, it seemed the University of Texas-Pan American had just won its first conference championship after 10 years as a Division I independent.

The commissioner of the new league, Ed Grom, attended the announcement, as did Dr. John Edwards, who oversees the Broncs' athletic department, interim athletic director Ricky Vaughn and university president Dr. Blandina C

I find it interesting all the Bison supporters who feel the Great West isn't so "great" after they left. :lol:

IMHO, Sort of sounds like when SU left the NCC. :silly:

Passed by?? NDSU guy? Really? :lol:

UND leaves the NCC and the league is no more. UND joins the Great West and now all of a sudden I am reading how teams are joining so that the league has solid members and "contracts". UND might very well be following NDSU but they seem to have picked up a few pointers. UND seems to paying it's dues. And they seem to be putting their name out there. I liked how Fox news made some wise azz comment about now they should change the Great West name since the teams will be palying all over the US. Are you kidding this is great!! From coast to coast UND is going to be seen in all types of media!!

So have no fear my SU friends UND is in it for the long haul! See you soon!!

Why is it that my points are completely lost on several members of this message board..... I was not dissing the great west as previously stated, the football league was good to NDSU. I am just questioning the necessity to join a conference in the first place (for all other sports). That's it. No more, no less.

It's not as if i'm slinging mud at UND or its fans.... If I wanted to do that, i'd have plenty to talk about (starting with the mud that was slung at NDSU when joining the Great West to begin with......but I digress).

I just wish that people would actually think about what i'm writing instead of just blindly reacting.

I thought you guys might like to see a post from 2003 about the Great West Football Conference, is is entertaining to go back and read some of these.....a lot of UND fans thought the same way......now what happened?? It can't be that oil and travel got a lot cheaper...... :lol:

Based on the above ....

For football:

NDSU, Fargo, ND

UNC, Greeley, CO

South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD

Southern Utah State College, Cedar City, UT

University of California-Davis, CA

Cal Poly-San Louis Obispo, CA

St. Mary

I thought you guys might like to see a post from 2003 about the Great West Football Conference, is is entertaining to go back and read some of these.....a lot of UND fans thought the same way......now what happened?? It can't be that oil and travel got a lot cheaper...... :lol:

What is most ironic is that hockey, the sport bison fans fart about most, probably will have thee lowest travel expenditures / athlete of any sport at the two schools.

Why is it that my points are completely lost on several members of this message board..... I was not dissing the great west as previously stated, the football league was good to NDSU. I am just questioning the necessity to join a conference in the first place (for all other sports). That's it. No more, no less.

It's not as if i'm slinging mud at UND or its fans.... If I wanted to do that, i'd have plenty to talk about (starting with the mud that was slung at NDSU when joining the Great West to begin with......but I digress).

I just wish that people would actually think about what i'm writing instead of just blindly reacting.

if i were a college athlete, i would think the opportunity to play for a conference championship would be more enticing than playing for no post-season title at all. that is why this conference MAY be a good idea. Especially during the transition period where normally football would have the only chance for post-season success.

One only has to read the press release from the Great West to see the main reasons behind setting this up.

What is the reason to have a conference if NCAA automatic bids are not offered?

First of all, the conference provides institution and its student-athletes the opportunity to compete for championships like a

majority of schools around the country. Secondly, it provides scheduling opportunities for all the team sports. Independent

schools have a difficult time scheduling other Division I schools when they are involved in their own conference play.

Lastly, it provides a great deal of support for each athletic program in the way of compliance assistance and credibility to

the entire athletic program.

1. Weekly and postseason honors for student athletes.

2. Scheduling. Helps fill the schedule during conference play. Centralizes the scheduling of all of the independents instead of all of the schools individually trying to work out and coordinate schedules. Gets home games without having to pay guarantees.

3. Compliance. Partnering with other schools that are just ahead of us in the transition will give great support and experience to the athletic department. The Great West is essentially being ran by the Summit which also adds a wealth of knowledge and administration with experience.

3.5 Credability. It is going to sounds better to the casual UND fan and supporter to hear that our Track and Field teams won the Great West conference tournament as opposed to saying that we won the "Independent tournament".

Also...

4. Familiarity. It will create a bit of familiarity with these teams. Fans are more likely to come to a game against NJIT in baseball/volleyball, etc if they view them as a conference mate. And seeing them in all sports will create a familiarity to fans.

5. Website. The Great West will be releasing a completely redone website that will be a place for fans of all of the schools involved to more easily follow what is going on at all schools. Also gives fans of other schools a more central site to find information on the schools.

6. Numerous other intricacies of the transition to DI that I trust the administration of UND and the other schools involved understand better than us and see a value in creating this alliance under the Great West conference to help with.

DakotaDan enumerates the reasoning very well.

With the moratorium in place for three more years, the possible conference invites may be limited. At this point the GWC makes sense. If an opportunity does arise, UND may have to pony up with exit fees.

I think some of the Bison fans were hopeful and predicting that UND would be in "independent hell" for quite some time. Check out Bisonville. I think someone peed in their Cheerios.

DakotaDan enumerates the reasoning very well.

With the moratorium in place for three more years, the possible conference invites may be limited. At this point the GWC makes sense. If an opportunity does arise, UND may have to pony up with exit fees.

I think some of the Bison fans were hopeful and predicting that UND would be in "independent hell" for quite some time. Check out Bisonville. I think someone peed in their Cheerios.

There is not really any difference between the GWC and being independent other than filling your schedule with sub par teams like NJIT. It is the same thing we had.....marginal teams and no auto bid......everyone looking for a better conference or alliance.......that is basically the same as independent hell......and there is always some company in independent hell. No piss in my cherios.....just some laughing at folks that try to make it out to be much much more than it is......

There is not really any difference between the GWC and being independent other than filling your schedule with sub par teams like NJIT. It is the same thing we had.....marginal teams and no auto bid......everyone looking for a better conference or alliance.......that is basically the same as independent hell......and there is always some company in independent hell. No piss in my cherios.....just some laughing at folks that try to make it out to be much much more than it is......

It's more like indepedent purgatory, as the Summit league is taking care of the hellish details (the Summit must have its reasons :lol: )

Washington TImes Story - but don't expect an autobid out of this.

It's obviously a geographic mashup of leftover schools, leaving the Great West for the time being as the platypus of Division I leagues. And the addition of NJIT certainly calls into question the definition of the term "West" for purposes of the North American continent. But it's not like there haven't been leagues in the past with members scattered hither and yon in such a way to render the league name incorrect.

* East Coast Conference (1993-94): Buffalo, Central Connecticut State, Chicago State, Hofstra, Northeastern Illinois, Troy State. The league (minus Hofstra) was absorbed into the Mid-Continent the next year. But it certainly was an interesting mix.

* Sun Belt Conference (football only, 2004-05): Arkansas State, Idaho, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Middle Tennessee, New Mexico State, North Texas, Troy, Utah State. Yes, Sun Valley is in Idaho. Even still, going from Potato Land to the heart of Dixie (Troy, Ala.) makes for one heck of a large belt.

* Mid-Continent Conference: This league had a vague enough name that so long as a school wasn't in a state adjacent to an ocean, it would be a good fit. But let's be serious: This is a rather spread out conference. Any league that scrunches together Louisiana (Centenary), Michigan (Oakland) and Utah (Southern Utah) together is a bit far-flung. Last year the conference became the Summit League, a name that does not distinguish very much at all about its geography.

Back to the Great West. Eventually, all of those schools will complete the Division I transition process. And when they do (assuming there's still six of them held together), the conference will be eligible to apply for an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament.

You are forgetting about the "core institution" requirement. And....the Great West won't meet that for quite some time.

Read it again. The Washington Times implied that: I stated "don't expect an autobid out of this."

The bigger question is: will history repeat itself? The MidCon scarfed up the East Coast Conference almost en-masse 15 years ago. Will the now Summit repeat a past practice and gobble almost whole another "conference"- this time from the "West"?

Thank you for your concern. I'm sure it is quite genuine.

This whole thing reminds me of deer hunting in ND and MN. When a ND hunter shoots a deer wth 4 antler points on each side, he has shot a "4 point buck". When a MN hunter shoots that same deer, he calls it an "8 point buck", but it sure sounds a lot bigger than that 4 point buck in ND.

Well und, you've got your 8 point buck, time to call a press conference and celebrate! It sure looks a lot bigger than the same 4 point buck that ndsu had during its transition. We called our 4 point buck "an Alliance", and kept hunting for a 5x5.

This whole thing reminds me of deer hunting in ND and MN. When a ND hunter shoots a deer wth 4 antler points on each side, he has shot a "4 point buck". When a MN hunter shoots that same deer, he calls it an "8 point buck", but it sure sounds a lot bigger than that 4 point buck in ND.

Well und, you've got your 8 point buck, time to call a press conference and celebrate! It sure looks a lot bigger than the same 4 point buck that ndsu had during its transition. We called our 4 point buck "an Alliance", and kept hunting for a 5x5.

So UND is done hunting, right? There is no way we will ever find a 5x5, we're stuck with this 4x4 forever.

That is what I don't understand about NDSU fans. NDSU found a conference within 5 years but there is no way in hell that UND is going to find one, they're screwed. Like its a race to NDSU or something. I am fairly confident these two schools are going to be around for a long long time to come.

This affiliation will serve its purpose in the short term, but my rose colored glasses are still looking for the red Big Sky conference phone to ring at some point.

Count me now as someone who thinks the probability of this is now very, very slim. The Great West affiliation sponsored by the Summit, fuel costs, the inability of Sac St and Portland St to upgrade their facilities and programs (while SUU has), the lack of Denver or Salt Lake air service to GF, all make this less likely. When NDSU and SDSU left the Great West and UND/USD joined, the Great West schools could have asked the Big Sky to administer the conference rather than the Summit (Cal Poly, Davis, SUU, UND, and USD would all have loved some some type of football-only membership with the BSC). It didn't happen. Now UND and USD are more closely stuck in the Summit's web.

Fullerton still talks about the Big Sky going IA football, but don't see how that is possible without at least Cal Poly and Davis being associate members. The Great West with Summit affiliation, is of little help with either of those two schools to accomplish their longer term football goals. With the moratorium on moveups and Sac State's lack of progress, UC Davis can easily move up with a stadium expansion to the top of the WAC expansion list come 2012 or 2013.

Here's an excerpt from Missoulian: UM officials say jump to big-time football not in the cards, where Fullerton seems to be talking out of both sides:

According to Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton, nearly every trend points to the fact FBS football has unsustainable growth. Expenditures are growing faster than university budgets.

But Fullerton is keeping an open mind about the future. He can envision a day when the entire Big Sky Conference joins a revamped FBS.

So UND is done hunting, right? There is no way we will ever find a 5x5, we're stuck with this 4x4 forever.

That is what I don't understand about NDSU fans. NDSU found a conference within 5 years but there is no way in hell that UND is going to find one, they're screwed. Like its a race to NDSU or something. I am fairly confident these two schools are going to be around for a long long time to come.

I'd sure the hell hope their not done, but the recent press conference and celebration sure makes it look like they are fat and happy on deer meat. Any reader of the Herald would assume that und has majically grabbed the brass ring. This is the right thing for UND, but Articles calling this a full scale conference are disingenuous at best.