SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo Smoking Ban

Ray77

No Sioux-cia post is complete without an unprovoked personal potshot being taken at DaveK. :lol:

Not true!!! The majority of my posts don't contain an 'unprovoked personal potshot' at DaveK. But I will admit, that like MANY others, I do respond to those posts of his that call for a response. :silly:

I hate smoke filled rooms and am glad that bars in Fargo won't be. ;)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I use the word "majority"? The fact of the matter is that you appear to have a personal vendetta against me for some unknown reason and will take a shot at me every time the opportunity comes up. You're a rude, insensitive, inconsiderate individual.

No Sioux-cia post....
You're correct that doesn't say 'majority', that post implys all my posts. ;)

I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings. Say, I thought you put me on ignore months ago. :silly:

It only works out for those who choose not to smoke. For the rest of us, we're being deprived of the ability to enjoy a cigarette with our beer. I can't think of any on-sale liquor establishments that will allow a person to take a drink outside the building. Without the beer in one hand, the cigarette in the other hand is worthless. I'm not speaking on behalf of the smokers, but rather on my own behalf as an individual. I'm sure the smokers value that cigarette with or without the beer. I don't.

Classy :silly: Are you sure you don't live in Dilworth?? The answer to your problem is to stay at home. You want be bothering any non-smoker with your cigs and you want be a potential hazard on the road after leaving the bar with some liquor in your system.

Lets face it, smokers have very little respect for non-smokers so I'm glad this passed. I really could care less if smoking is allowed in bars but the disrespect towards non-smokers does not simply exist indoors. Everyday at 5pm when I leave work the cigs are coming out before we get out the door. Then we all get to experience blown smoke in our faces all the way to the parking lot. They can't wait 2 minutes to get into their cars?

Sorry but I'd never vote for anything that provides relief or priveledge to the disrespectful, no matter what their disgusting habit may be.

I fully agree. I just hope bars set aside areas that aren't right in front of the door. Nothing better than walking in and out of a restaurant/bar holding your breath.

I get that, I'm just saying that for me personally if I don't have a beer in one hand I no longer want the cigarette in the other. That's why I said I was not speaking on behalf of smokers, but rather myself as an individual. I don't consider myself to be a smoker. If I smoke one day, then go 6-8 weeks without smoking, smoke one day, go another 6-8 weeks without smoking, and so on... I don't think that defines me as a smoker. If some anti-smoking zealot choose to define me as a smoker, so be it. It's beside the point. I don't smoke to satisfy a craving for nicotine like regular smoker do, I smoke only to enhance my enjoyment of the beer I'm drinking. Now that privelege has been taken away from me thanks to a lot of non-smoking voters who probably don't even go to bars and won't be affected one way or the other. :silly:

Smoking is a filthy habit how in heck does a cig make a beer taste better?

...the beer in one hand, the cigarette in the other hand...

This reminds me of one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed.

I was to meet a property owner to look at an apartment complex. When I rang the bell, and the door opened, an obviously-inebriated dude was standing there, with a super-sized go-cup in one hand and a burning cigarette in the other. I said, "Hi, I'm mikejm," and stuck out my hand to shake.

He looked at my hand, then stuck his cigarette in his mouth and started to reach out with his (recently vacated) left hand. As he realized it was the "wrong" hand I could see the confusion in his eyes.

Stopping halfway to the handshake, he switched his go-cup from his right hand to his left, and then, rather than reaching out to shake hands, he grabbed the cigarette out of his mouth again, this time with his right hand. Then he (honest to gawd) stuck the cig back in his mouth, switched the go-cup to the right hand and reached with his left again to shake my hand!

He went back and forth a couple of times more. Finally he just nodded at me and said, "Yeah. Good to meet you." :silly:

We can't help it that Fargo is the only civilized place in the state...

i live in fargo, and attitudes like this make me sick. fargo is a great place, i love it here. i've also lived out west and love it there. people outside of fargo need to get over this inferiority complex thing driven by idiots with these attitudes, and people with this "fargo" attitude need to quit being idiots and giving the rest of us a bad name. north dakota is a wonderful state and a great place to live, and we should support out entire state instead of bickering about who's city is better or who has the bigger... well nevermind. i do have to say though, i miss the scenery out west.

obsessed with you :):silly:

All my free time is taken up stalking Prpich. :lol:

Poor DaveK, I don't have any time for him. :huh: Well, that's not quite true. I do find time, like MANY other SS.com members, to respond to his well thought out posts. ;) He must have everyone else on ignore because he only gets sad and whiney about my posts.

Again, I'm sorry. I don't mean to hurt your feelings.

What does that have to do with class? Would it be any more classy to be an every day regular smoker? No, I only smoke when I go out for a few beers. Well, that is now in the past tense. And, for the record, I don't drive drunk. Driving home after having had a couple of drinks and driving while intoxicated are two very different things.

Haven't you heard...buzz driving is drunk driving! :silly:

Smoking on a daily basis in your car and in your home, leaving that stale morning after smell to linger in your furniture and upholstery forever is a filthy habit. Indulging in a guilty pleasure on rare occassions is an entirely different thing altogether. How does a cig make a beer taste better? I don't know, how does mustard make a cheeseburger taste better? If that's what you're into, it just does. It's a matter of taste, not everybody likes all of the same things. What is great to one person might be disgusting to the next. The point is there is a time and a place for all things, and in my opinion when you go out drinking is the time and in a bar is the place. Unfortunately a bunch of voters who probably don't even go to bars at all just ruined that for me. We all know it would have been a much different outcome had the vote been limited to bar patrons.

Question for you Dave...saying smoking is a filthy habit if you do it daily and in your home, in your car etc., however it's a different thing if you only do it on rare occations - is that like saying how much you hate fighting and goons in hockey yet you're an Ulf Samuellson fan?

Forgive my ignorance, but the results (I was out of town and couldn't vote) for Fargo went how?

I figured Measure two would be YES, but what about 1 and 3?

Measure 1 - Home rule charter - YES (I'm pretty sure)

Measure 2 - Total smoking ban - YES

Measure 3 - Keep existing partial ban - NO

Smoking on a daily basis in your car and in your home, leaving that stale morning after smell to linger in your furniture and upholstery forever is a filthy habit.

Yep you are correct sir. Filthy

How does a cig make a beer taste better? I don't know, how does mustard make a cheeseburger taste better? If that's what you're into, it just does.

I am not sure I would call a cigerette a condiement but to each his own I guess... :silly: Why not smoke a cigar?

Nothing beat a 5-6.00 cigar from Happy Harries.

When I was younger I smoked (my army days and early college days) I got to the point where I discovered I was

alergic to marbs so I quite. I realized I could smell and my pillow didn't stink anymore. If I even get stupid and smoke one

cigerette it screws me up for like two days. NO thankyou. I quite chewing COPE 17 months ago, best thing that I ever did.

I took a smoking cessation drug. I recommend it to anyone if they are looking to get out from under the grasp of nicotine.

You're a miserable human being who thrives on negativity and drama. I would say the same thing to your face if we were to ever cross paths and you were to treat me in person the same way you treat me here.Now go ahead and have the last word that you so desperately crave, I'm done with this thread.

Bingo!! Give that man a cigar, or a beer & a cigarette.

My Dad quit smoking 370 days ago, 3 days before his 70th birthday. He didn't quit because he wantd to, he quit because he entered the hospital with double pneumonia, and a HELL OF A SCARE from his Dr. came along with that stay. Although that same Dr. has told him to quit for the last 22 years, something he said this time did it.

There were times when my Dad would cough, and I wondered if he would be able to stop to take a breath. After just a couple of months, there was a HUGE difference in his breathing and he doesn't cough like that anymore. He hasn't had a smoke since June 8, 2007, and he still likes to stop at Proz for a drink with his buddies, but thankfully, he doesn't even have the urge to smoke.

Unfortunatley, bars are the thing that keep many people smoking. If you can smoke there, I think many would just quit.

Kudos to Fargo for passing that ban. I hope to see many more places follow suit.

P.S. My brother also quit chewing last September 29th. That was his birthday present to me. He had chewed since high school, and he is 40 now.

It takes a lot of inner strenght to quit using tobacco. It's one of the hardest things to quit. There are people like your dad and brother who believe that because they've been smoking so long without getting the big C, nothings going to happen to them. WRONG.

I know people with lung cancer who still smoke! They say they already have cancer so why quit. I tell them that quitting smoking will actually keep them alive longer. Continuing to smoke when you have lung cancer speeds up your demise. You may not care but family and friends who love you care.

Quit smoking on Jan. 1 after almost 40 yrs. & haven't had one yet.

Probably the toughest thing I ever did. Still have a way to go before I consider myself off them for good. Still love the smell of a burning cigarette but the old stale odor is now nauseating.

Illinois had a state wide smoking ban start then & that along with other reasons convinced me to quit.

The part I thought I would cause me the most trouble with quitting was smoking at work.

The owners & 90% of the people smoked, so I was able to smoke in my office. When the ILL smoking ban started to my suprise the owners said no more smoking in the offices. That definately made it a lot easier for me to quit.

So far I made all the goals I set for myself. The big one is making it to the one year mark.

When I make that one, it will be time to celebrate.