SiouxSports.com Forum

is it time to change the GFC-RR district boundary line?

UND92,96

Why not take the Minot solution - they have grades 9 and 10 downtown and grades 11 and 12 at "Magic City". 

Just be "Grand Forks" with 9th and 10th grade at Central Campus (downtown) and 11th and 12th grades at Red River Campus.

Based on the GFH story, there are 2087 (937 GFC, 1150 GFRR) between the two schools. That's about the same number (2100) that is listed for Minot High.

The theory follows in that Minot also has (private, Catholic) Minot Ryan where GF has (yes, East Grand Forks, private, Cathlic) Sacred Heart. The difference is that there is EGF public there also. 

In general,  when it comes to running a city,  I find it best to do the exact opposite of what  Minot does.  It's a frickin gong show here.

The boundaries clearly need to be redrawn to reflect what Grand Forks is in 2015, not in 1985.

Draw a line from the south end along Washington Street north to Demers Avenue, then follow Demers westward to the west end of town.

Central would get all the students east and north of that line, Red River would get all the students west and south of that line.

I think that would balance things nicely.

The boundaries clearly need to be redrawn to reflect what Grand Forks is in 2015, not in 1985.

Draw a line from the south end along Washington Street north to Demers Avenue, then follow Demers westward to the west end of town.

Central would get all the students east and north of that line, Red River would get all the students west and south of that line.

I think that would balance things nicely.

The south end boundary for Central east of Washington is 24th Avenue South.  And I believe the area around Ben Franklin attends Central as well?  So it has changed.  I do like the idea of using Washington and Demers as the boundary.  The district did an extensive demographic study a few years ago, so the info. should be available to see how this would work.

• Upvote 1

What difference does the price of a home make to individual schools 

The money from taxes goes to all the schools

Generally, wealthier familes live in bigger,  newer homes.  This is true especially in the Cities, where poor neighborhoods have poor teams, with an exception being possibly basketball.  Wealthier families send their kids to camps and get special coaching.  

Increasingly, the wealthier kids have more access to indoor facilities.  Look at Grand Forks, where ICON arena and the Choice wellness center are located, plunked right where there wealthiest families have easiest access to them at their backdoor.

Would the city ever consider tearing down the old city arena and re-building a new, better facility to help support north end hockey? I recall that arena being really old and the ice sheet not even NHL size. I would think that the right thing to do is to financially support park board facilities in all parts of town, not just the south end.

• Upvote 1

It's kind of funny.  I grew up near there,  swear I'd never move back to the area,  and here I am.  Thing is, my wife and I both have what is basically our dream jobs and the kids love it. So life's not all bad.   

My view is probably a bit skewed.

I worked construction during the summer while going to school and we had a couple jobs in Minot so our boss rented us a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 months rather than hotel rooms so living with 6 guys in a 2 bedroom apartment on air mattresses was less than ideal. Had lawn chairs for furniture...at least he sprung for cable.