Can the Sioux beat the Pioneers?

Goon

17 members have voted

1. 1. Can the Sioux beat the Pioneers?

• Can UND beat Denver?
    • yes
    • no

Ditto, what jk said!

Siouxper Fan, about Parise..you are certainly right about him being an "A" player going against lesser competition. Don't be so sure he will struggle next year. He might. Some great players have struggled during their freshmen years at UND. But, I'm old enough to remember Kevin Maxwell (81 points as a freshman at UND in 78-79) and Neil Broten (dominant at UM right out of Roseau HS). I don't know how good Parise will be, but some smarter people think that he may be a GREAT player.

A realistic view would be that the Fighting Sioux will be championship contenders in 03-04. Me, I'm still hoping for THIS year. :)

Ditto, what jk said!

Siouxper Fan, about Parise..you are certainly right about him being an "A" player going against lesser competition. Don't be so sure he will struggle next year. He might. Some great players have struggled during their freshmen years at UND. But, I'm old enough to remember Kevin Maxwell (81 points as a freshman at UND in 78-79) and Neil Broten (dominant at UM right out of Roseau HS). I don't know how good Parise will be, but some smarter people think that he may be a GREAT player.

A realistic view would be that the Fighting Sioux will be championship contenders in 03-04. Me, I'm still hoping for THIS year. ;)

Well said jk and Doc! :)

Obviously the biggest difference is Panzer, Roche, Lundbohm, Dorey & Goehring.  That's a no-brainer.

With a few more veterans (not cut), the role-playing spots would have been just a little more consistent.  Maybe enough so that we could have finished 4th or 5th.  I think Blais let his head get a little big after the last few years, thinking that he could bring the team around by Christmas, that's all.  Still glad he is our coach, though.

As for Fylling, he'll probably have to compete with R. Connelly and D. Faul for playing time.  Also, Palmiscno and MacMahon may not see too much time if Parise & Genoway are good enough to play regularly.  My guess is the guys who get single digit points this season will be shuffled in and out next season until someone proves he can contribute points.

We've got good depth (even better next season), but they have come along a bit slower than I wanted to see.  Let's hope they have breakout soph years!

And, oh yeah...beat the Pioneers.

You guys took the words right out of my mouth.  Thanks for saving me the long rant against Kuch/Caund.

I shook my head at his preseason predictions, but hoped he might be close. His latest griping has gotten to be too much & you all said exactly what I was thinking.

Kuch, enjoy being a fan of a great school with a winning tradition.  Unless you played for the Sioux or any other DI school in a major sport, you have no clue what these players have to go through to get to this level & stay there.

They will be back. Trying to stay optomistic for the play-offs.

I shook my head at his preseason predictions, but hoped he might be close. His latest griping has gotten to be too much & you all said exactly what I was thinking.

I actually was really optomistic after the first month of the season when we played really well in a killer schedule the first month. So I guess I would be guilty of having extremely high expectations. I think there was also a lot of pressure on the boys to do good with a new arena.  :)

Pretty quiet around here.  I guess there's not much left to say.  We need a win or two to talk about.  The Sioux are just a little seven-game winning streak away from the NCAA tournament - that would be four at home followed by a three-game sprint on NHL ice in St. Paul.  Definitely possible.

If this was USCHO, someone would ask if they could share what I'm smoking.  Someone probably will here too.

I don't care.  Go Sioux.  Step it up.  Start the downward spiral for Denver.

How about we just go to my dentist.  They give you gas just for cleanings (I go 2x per year need it or not ;) )

Now, watching our boys beat up on Denver while high on laughing gas would be most excellent!

:)

p.s.  anyone know satellite coordinates in case I can get free to head to Champps?

Thanks Sicatoka.  I tried but Champps couldn't put the game on for me.

How was that last goal scored.

I feel soo bad for the team.  They played well enough to win but didn't.  This team is just one goal short of being a great team, I think.  And being they are 6th in the nation in scoring they need to find a way to stop that extra puck

This really sucks the wind out of you.  I wonder if they will have anything to come and play with tomorrow.

This one is really just too bad.

####

:)

Do the Sioux have the talent to beat the Pioneers?  Yes.  CAN THEY?  No.

Why?  Because THIS Sioux team only knows how to P1SS away games in the last ten seconds, give up weak goals, etc.  Blais:  Better think about recruiting ANOTHER goaltender...FAST!

Congrats on a fabulous 8TH PLACE FINISH.

Ouch.  As with so many games this year, this one really hurts.  So, so close.  I only heard the last 2+ periods, but it sounded like they were right there with DU and just couldn't bury any of a number of great chances (especially for Bayda and Spiewak).

And these game-losing goals in the last ten seconds.  I don't know who deserves the blame.

Considering how bad the fans feel right after the game, can you imagine how the team feels?  It seems to me that it's going to be mighty tough to come out with a good effort tomorrow, after this deflating result.

I guess Brandt goes tomorrow, at least for the start of the game.

This one hurt....The UAA series, the Mankato series, the Gopher series...they ALL hurt.  This team has been CURSED this season (and not just by me :) ).  

Ouch, yikes, 8th place = "yuck".  And for those of you who flamed me for "griping,"  Imagine what will happen if 8th place ever becomes ACCEPTABLE.  The beautiful REA would sit half-empty for most games, the excellent support of the Fighting Sioux Club would dry-up, and the program would become a joke.

This has to be the worst season I've ever followed closely.  Many of you have displayed more discretion than I in your postings, but come-on folks, this is supposedly an "elite" D1 team and THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET.  You are not publishing a column in the paper, no matter how narcisistic your beliefs.  This is the forum where people can post emotionally and NOT hold back their sentiment of the moment.

So, what's the story on goaltending, again?  Where's Brandt?  I thought he would be splitting time with Siembida.  Are we getting another goalie, Seviede(?) in the offseason?

Once again, victory slips through the f'ing cracks in the third.   :)

I understand the sentiment that some core fans need to stay behind the team no matter what.  I understand the youth situation and that the team IS playing hard every night, now.

But somebody has to play the role of chicken little and scream that "The sky is falling!" in a year like this.  Without me, you guys wouldn't be able to let YOUR frustrations out :)

Seriously, though.  There are some very worrisome traits being displayed out there.  Hole-tending is the biggest concern.  Another is that the youngsters STILL aren't backchecking effectively, and that will probably end our season quickly.

And no, I didn't follow the last years of Gasperini closely.  There was about a three year stint there where I was distracted by my wife.  As you can see, I've been very spoiled.

Great win by the Sioux to send off the seniors & loyal fans with a final home win.  Way to go Andy.

Anybody that had the Sioux radio broadcast care to fill us in on Dean's final recap. We got stuck listening to the DU feed with the most boring announcer I have ever heard.

Go get the goofs.

Wasn't able to listen myself.

Did Denver come to play tonite?

Andy must have had a good night in goal.  1 GA.  NOT BAD!!!

I think if we had consistent very solid goaltending in the last month we'd have a couple more wins under our belt.  I hope we can find a consistent, very solid goaltender before next weekend.  

I don't give us much of a shot but if the goaltending plays well we'll give MN everything they want and possibly more.

Nice way for the team to close out the regular season at home.  It's tough to accept but for 8 seconds last night we take 3 of 4 from the #1 team this weekend.  Granted, if Denver had more at stake maybe things would have been different tonite.  That's why I am curious about Denver's effort tonite.  Did they come to play, or did they go through the motions?

Either way, our team obviously came to play out the season and I am happy about that, and happy for them.

Gwodzecky was just as boring as the DU announcer. He was disappointed in the effort of his team yadda, yadda.

He apparently forgot they barely won last night. He did say that the Sioux-Goof game will be one of a few very interesting series next weekend & the Sioux are definately not playing like an eight place team.

Go get the Goofs

I also had to listen to the Denver feed because the UND feed died just before the first period.  What's up with that?  It's been happening on-and-off all season.

Really glad to see Kollar play his last game at home solidly and beat the top-ranked team.  He deserves it after what he has done for the team in past seasons.

Also nice to see the third line score a goal (McMahon from Canady).  Geez, it's been a while.  I wasn't sure if McMahon would get another point this season, so that was a good surprise.

Goaltending is indeed the key to next weekend.  Nothing could be better than denying the Goofs a shot at the Final Five.