SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-09 Schedule

bincitysioux

From looking at this and the women's schedule it doesn't look like many double headers the only date from above that matches it January 13.

If the Men don't improve and or get some better teams to come to town this is going to kill attendance, as we know the last few years the Betty would be pretty sparse after halftime as many of the fans came to watch the women's game and only stuck around for some of the men's game.

Double-headers are pretty uncommon in DI, but I would guess to save on travel expenses for all the DI newbies that the games with USD, Seattle, and SIU-Edwardsville will possibly be double-headers.

The home schedule so far is pretty similar to what it has in the past few years to me. I think we were all pleasantly surprised with the women's schedule. I thought it would look more like what the men's schedule is shaping out to be.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From looking at this and the women's schedule it doesn't look like many double headers the only date from above that matches it January 13.

If the Men don't improve and or get some better teams to come to town this is going to kill attendance, as we know the last few years the Betty would be pretty sparse after halftime as many of the fans came to watch the women's game and only stuck around for some of the men's game.

That is true, but to be fair I think a pretty good argument could be made that the men have done a better job recruiting than the women the past two years. I doubt that will translate into the men having anywhere near as good of a record as the women, as the depth of dI men's basketball is far better than on the women's side, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fortunes of the men's program improves modestly, whereas the women may fall off a bit unless another Langen or Kimbrough-type talent joins the program soon.

That is true, but to be fair I think a pretty good argument could be made that the men have done a better job recruiting than the women the past two years. I doubt that will translate into the men having anywhere near as good of a record as the women, as the depth of dI men's basketball is far better than on the women's side, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fortunes of the men's program improves modestly, whereas the women may fall off a bit unless another Langen or Kimbrough-type talent joins the program soon.

I'm not so sure on that. First the womens team has had much greater success than the men, so it should be harder for an incomming player to make an impact, right. Well that doesn't seem to be the case.

The men had 4 freshman and sophmores that played this past season, the women had 6 with 2 of the freshman playing just a few spot minutes. Total points contributed by the 4 men were 532pts while the top 4 women contributed 739 pts. 280 of the men's 532 were by sophmore Bledsoe, the only one of the men to have more than 100 pts while on the women's side soph Seay 217 pts, freshman Youngblut had 204 pts, soph Ledger 196 pts and soph Bergan 122pts.

Granted maybe none of these will put up the carrer numbers that Langen and Kimbrough have or will, but don't take anything away from them.

I'm not so sure on that. First the womens team has had much greater success than the men, so it should be harder for an incomming player to make an impact, right. Well that doesn't seem to be the case.

The men had 4 freshman and sophmores that played this past season, the women had 6 with 2 of the freshman playing just a few spot minutes. Total points contributed by the 4 men were 532pts while the top 4 women contributed 739 pts. 280 of the men's 532 were by sophmore Bledsoe, the only one of the men to have more than 100 pts while on the women's side soph Seay 217 pts, freshman Youngblut had 204 pts, soph Ledger 196 pts and soph Bergan 122pts.

Granted maybe none of these will put up the carrer numbers that Langen and Kimbrough have or will, but don't take anything away from them.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the recent women's program recruits--I just think there's been a pretty noticeable lack of impact players brought into the program since the recruiting class that included Kimbrough and Bagaason. I think Privatsky has a chance to fit into that mold if she can recover from her injury, and Youngblut certainly showed some signs this past year, but I'm just a little concerned that the recruiting in Minnesota--and pretty much anywhere besides North Dakota--has really fallen off (IMO) over the past three or four years.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the recent women's program recruits--I just think there's been a pretty noticeable lack of impact players brought into the program since the recruiting class that included Kimbrough and Bagaason. I think Privatsky has a chance to fit into that mold if she can recover from her injury, and Youngblut certainly showed some signs this past year, but I'm just a little concerned that the recruiting in Minnesota--and pretty much anywhere besides North Dakota--has really fallen off (IMO) over the past three or four years.

Not to turn this into a thread about women's basketball, but I do think this may have something to do with the loss of Coach Brewster, we'll hope the rumors that he may be comming back are true.

Back to the Men's scheduling, I hope they are going to be getting a few more nice D-1 teams on their schedule either at home or away. I would think much like the women at least a couple of holiday trny's.

These things should be close to getting done I would think. The bigger the school the earlier they usually have these done.

• 2 weeks later...

Nov. 18 vs. Southwest Minnesota St.

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 6 @ Northern Iowa

Dec. 17 vs. Dickinson St.

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

Jan. 13 vs. University of Mary

Feb. 3 @ Southwest Minnesota St.

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA vs. SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

I wish they would keep SCSU on the schedule. They always have a good team here in St.Cloud and it gives the Sioux fans in this area a chance to see them. SCSU has already released their schedule and we're not on it which bums me out. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 6 @ Northern Iowa

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

Jan. 2 vs Minot St.

Jan. 19 vs. Mayville St.

Feb. 19 vs. SIU-Edwardsville

Mar. 1 @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

Mar. 7-8 UND Tournament

SIU-Edwardsville will participate in the season ending tourney. I assume USD and Seattle will as well.

Just a quick glance at the women's schedule shows home double-headers on Dec. 17, Feb. 19, and away Mar. 1 at SIU-E. I'd imagine the games with USD and Seattle will also be double-headers both home and away. Both the men's and women's season ending tournaments take place on the same weekend as well so there will be alot of basketball played that weekend.

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 2 @ Montana

Dec. 6 @ Northern Iowa

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

Jan. 2 vs Minot St.

Jan. 19 vs. Mayville St.

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

Mar. 7-8 UND Tournament

Missoulian - Montana to play Duke

Hopefully the Montana, Northern Iowa, and UW-Green Bay are all return games.

I'd love to see that UND-Montana game on statewide TV, maybe FOX. They are a relatively untapped local media resource and you only need to tap KVRR and West Dakota FOX for statewide coverage. Also, if it's a 8:00 local start they wouldn't have to pre-empt any network programming, which is always a challenge for affiliates.

Missoulian - Montana to play Duke

Hopefully the Montana, Northern Iowa, and UW-Green Bay are all return games.

If they are, I would be surprised if they were not at least a 2 for 1 deal. I don't think any of those would be a home and home,

Agree that they are most likely 2 for 1 agreements. The UWGB contract is a "multiple year agreement".

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 2 @ Montana

Dec. 6 @ Northern Iowa

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

Jan. 2 vs Minot St.

Jan. 19 vs. Mayville St.

Feb. 12 @ Northern Colorado

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

Mar. 7-8 UND Tournament

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 2 @ Montana

Dec. 6 @ Northern Iowa

Dec. 10 vs. Valley City State

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

Jan. 2 vs Minot St.

Jan. 19 vs. Mayville St.

Feb. 12 @ Northern Colorado

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

Mar. 7-8 UND Tournament

The Schedule has been officially released! 16 home games-nothing spectacular of whos coming here, this season. But @ Montana @Wisconsin Green Bay @Northern Iowa and @ Wichita State- not bad.

THE SHOCKERS!

:huh:

That poster makes me laugh everytime I see it. If you don't know about THE SHOCKER search for it under wikipedia..."Shocker (hand gesture)".

The Schedule has been officially released! 16 home games-nothing spectacular of whos coming here, this season. But @ Montana @Wisconsin Green Bay @Northern Iowa and @ Wichita State- not bad.

@ Texas A&M January 5th

“I’m very excited about having 16 home games,” said Jones, “and going on the road to compete against established Division I programs, the majority of which are returning to our building in 2009-10. The important thing for us is to compete at a high level against every opponent on our schedule regardless of who we play, when we play or where we play.”

So 2009 will likely bring home games against UMKC, No Colorado, Montana and at least one and possibly two of UW-GB, UNI, or Wichita State.

@ Texas A&M January 5th

So 2009 will likely bring home games against UMKC, No Colorado, Montana and at least one and possibly two of UW-GB, UNI, or Wichita State.

Considering Ben Jacobson is a UND grad and is from the area, I would think the chances are pretty good UNI will be coming to GF within the next few years. I know there was some resentment in certain circles when he left UND, but I would hope that's all water under the bridge now.

Considering Ben Jacobson is a UND grad and is from the area, I would think the chances are pretty good UNI will be coming to GF within the next few years. I know there was some resentment in certain circles when he left UND, but I would hope that's all water under the bridge now.

It's a two for one deal UNI will be here next year....

But I can't wait to play Valley City, Mayville and Minot at Home..... :huh: Crookston should be a sell out too...

It's a two for one deal UNI will be here next year....

But I can't wait to play Valley City, Mayville and Minot at Home..... :huh: Crookston should be a sell out too...

Just like the last three seasons, so I'm not sure what you're driving at. '09-'10 will look better.

Overall, it is a decent first year schedule. Not much for home games obviously, but there is still USD which will be alot of fun, and the other two transitionals (SIU-E and Seattle) have been solid DII programs for years. Not nearly as good as the women's schedule, but there's alot more involved on the men's side I suppose. I give credit to the staff for doing most of this without an A.D.

Nice away schedule. 2 MVC teams and a Big 12 school. Nice to hear that UNI is coming next season, rather than have us travel twice before getting the return game. I would think that Green Bay and Northern Colorado are amongst the teams returning games next year.

......I can't wait to play Valley City, Mayville and Minot at Home..... :huh: Crookston should be a sell out too...

Walrus, I know you were pretty much against the move to DI, and a big basketball supporter but come on. UND has played Crookston every single year since 1999, and 3 of those games were at their gym. On top of that, UND hasn't played less than 2 NAIA teams a year (4 last year) in the same time frame, travelling to play them on a couple of occaisons. After this season, we can only have 4 non-DI games a year. I'm guessing we will almost always play 2 NAIA's probably from the DAC each year, and probably 2 DII's each year. I would think, and actually hope, that one of our non-DI games each year will be either Mary or Crookston.

Overall, it is a decent first year schedule. Not much for home games obviously, but there is still USD which will be alot of fun, and the other two transitionals (SIU-E and Seattle) have been solid DII programs for years. Not nearly as good as the women's schedule, but there's alot more involved on the men's side I suppose. I give credit to the staff for doing most of this without an A.D.

Nice away schedule. 2 MVC teams and a Big 12 school. Nice to hear that UNI is coming next season, rather than have us travel twice before getting the return game. I would think that Green Bay and Northern Colorado are amongst the teams returning games next year.

Walrus, I know you were pretty much against the move to DI, and a big basketball supporter but come on. UND has played Crookston every single year since 1999, and 3 of those games were at their gym. On top of that, UND hasn't played less than 2 NAIA teams a year (4 last year) in the same time frame, travelling to play them on a couple of occaisons. After this season, we can only have 4 non-DI games a year. I'm guessing we will almost always play 2 NAIA's probably from the DAC each year, and probably 2 DII's each year. I would think, and actually hope, that one of our non-DI games each year will be either Mary or Crookston.

Check NDSU's schedule and see who they are playing...? What 5 years into transition, and still playing some of these same schools and always will, it's called economics...

I was and still very skeptical on the D1 move.....

We will never get the schools from the Big 10 / Big 12 these big time schools (within our region) will never travel and play UND......UND will be for the next 10-15 years, roadwarriors and sacrafical lambs in some cases.....

And we will still be playing a couple of local lower level Colleges ever year to fill a schedule......I'm sorry but when we get a big game at home like Texas-panhandle State Tech it will be hard to get excited. Our biggest games will big the old NCC match-ups with NDSU, SDSU, USD,UNC ect.....and they will be doing the same thing.

So what did we really accomplish, besides spending more money....?