SiouxSports.com Forum

Jordan May

OldSchool

Okay, this is getting out of hand. While Bison Dan has attacked UND in (many)other threads, his total contribution to this thread was "Time will tell won't it." That's it. No attacks on May. No comments toward his character or intelligence. And SirHinn only commented about the Herald's reporting, nothing attacking May. He actually has something of a point. It seems like at least one story in the Herald and Forum each month come from comments posted on here and BV. If this story ends up being accurate and covered in the Herald, it certainly wouldn't be the first or last time the paper got their "scoop" from here.

It's a simple fact that student-athletes at both our schools, and many others, are finding themselves red-flagged this year by a massively overworked NCAA Clearinghouse. Most will eventually get cleared up through appeals from the high schools and universities(Bamba) and some will not. This should be a one-year problem, though. Once all the new classes get finalized in the Clearinghouse database, future recruits should find their approvals much easier.

It just would be nice if some posters respond to what another poster actually says; not what they think they said.

"Jorday May to redshirt." -- Gee, wasn't that reported when he first committed?

Now, speculate all you will about why.

As far as I know it's because all incoming freshman BBers normally do.

But if you know something and disclosed it here, I hope Jordan and his family take their due recourse against you under FERPA.

Let me get this straight. If what is being rumored ends up being true, this somehow vindicates your attacks on an 18 year old kid that hasn't even stepped on campus yet? And your actions are justified because he's going to play a sport at UND? What the hell is wrong with you?

Maybe you need to reread the thread.

Okay, this is getting out of hand. While Bison Dan has attacked UND in (many)other threads, his total contribution to this thread was "Time will tell won't it." That's it. No attacks on May. No comments toward his character or intelligence. And SirHinn only commented about the Herald's reporting, nothing attacking May. He actually has something of a point. It seems like at least one story in the Herald and Forum each month come from comments posted on here and BV. If this story ends up being accurate and covered in the Herald, it certainly wouldn't be the first or last time the paper got their "scoop" from here.

It's a simple fact that student-athletes at both our schools, and many others, are finding themselves red-flagged this year by a massively overworked NCAA Clearinghouse. Most will eventually get cleared up through appeals from the high schools and universities(Bamba) and some will not. This should be a one-year problem, though. Once all the new classes get finalized in the Clearinghouse database, future recruits should find their approvals much easier.

It just would be nice if some posters respond to what another poster actually says; not what they think they said.

I don't think things are "getting out of hand" when SS contributors conclude there's malicious intent on the part of trolls posting gossip and innuendo about individual student athletes and decide to jump on them for it. Of course, as a rational and civil participant here, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion.

Yes, lets look at what SirHinn actually said in his post -- and his point wasn't that ND newspapers get their stories from message boards. He contended news outlets cover up negative stories about UND athletes but, of course, offers no evidence. He singles out an 18-year-old college freshman-to-be and claims it's old "news" that he's academically ineligible. Again, nothing to back up his assertion. Perhaps it's more galling because this was gleefully posted earlier at Bisonville. Even there, where the burden of proof seems exceedingly low when it comes to post on UND, this was branded as gossip and the thread was locked, but SirHinn posts it as fact here anyway.

Not too difficult to conclude -- justifiably, I would add -- that the intent was malicious. Go back to Bisonville, where one poster routinely and without rebuke compares UND to Nazi Germany, and read the multiple threads filled with irrational bitterness. Unfortunately, it spills into this board, too. And when a young student is exploited to take shots at the institution, the comments have gone way out of bounds.

In retrospect, you may be right in this instance about Bison Dan's contribution, but I guess he just gets extra credit based on past performance. Rant over.

Honestly, is this where Bison fans want to see the rivalry go? Wasn't it an Oklahoma State fan who made up a message board rumor about Oklahoma University players getting arrested for selling drugs? Our friends in Bisonville are only about one step away from that. Reading their board is like reading a UND hate site and their fans have no qualms about attacking UND players, administrators, and coaches in ways that are extremely out of bounds. IF this rumor ends up being false then I sincerely hope that the May family takes legal actions against the idiot who made the initial post on Bisonville. Slander and libel are torts and it wouldn't be too difficult to prove damages. If the offending party wants to remain anonymous than they can sue the sites administrators for only locking the thread and not deleting it. Someone will have to be made an example of before this type of crap stops.

In the true sense of speculation, I believe that the major issue IF Joran May is ineligible is that he is not allowed to practice with the team or use any athletic facilities (weight room, training room, ect). Maybe Hammersmith could make an appearance to let us know for sure. Even though he is a bison fan he is on of the few that I welcome posting on this messageboard.

In the true sense of speculation, I believe that the major issue IF Joran May is ineligible is that he is not allowed to practice with the team or use any athletic facilities (weight room, training room, ect). Maybe Hammersmith could make an appearance to let us know for sure. Even though he is a bison fan he is on of the few that I welcome posting on this messageboard.

Making this a bit more general...

A recruit who is determined to be academically ineligible for his/her first year faces these issues:

The student-athlete may not:

1. Compete.

2. Practice with the team.

3. Receive athletic aid.

4. Work out under the supervision of the coaches of the student's sport.

The student-athlete may:

1. Receive nonathletics need-based aid.

2. Work out under the supervision of the strength coarch or trainer.

3. Use the athletic department's training facilities.

The other major difference is that the student-athlete will only have three years of playing eligibility unless s/he completes 80% of his/her degree program prior to his/her fifth academic year.

And thanks for the kind words.

Making this a bit more general...

A recruit who is determined to be academically ineligible for his/her first year faces these issues:

The student-athlete may not:

1. Compete.

2. Practice with the team.

3. Receive athletic aid.

4. Work out under the supervision of the coaches of the student's sport.

The student-athlete may:

1. Receive nonathletics need-based aid.

2. Work out under the supervision of the strength coarch or trainer.

3. Use the athletic department's training facilities.

The other major difference is that the student-athlete will only have three years of playing eligibility unless s/he completes 80% of his/her degree program prior to his/her fifth academic year.

And thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Hammersmith. That was my worry, I believe a year of no organized practice or coaching will really hinder Jordans ability to have an impact for UND.

• 4 weeks later...
He's a friend of mine. He's not ineligible, redshirting to get stronger and in better shape. Was planning on doing everything with the team last time I talked to him so I don't know how that would make him ineligible.

Thanks for the info! When did you last talk to him?

I didn't know if he was ineligible or not but I do know that he was going to be redshirted! Hopefully, you are correct!

There's no doubt May can play, but how will he be in a structured enviornment? Down at the dike or in pick-up games he's awesome, no doubt about it. However, at UND he'll be expected to play a role within an offense. That scares me because he's always had permission to do his own thing. Had he not open enrolled at North instead of going to South, him and Allard would have been tough together.