SiouxSports.com Forum

Announcement Soon

UND Fan

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a lot of debate and lobbying going on the last few weeks regarding some of the details regarding this announcement - I don't know what has been agreed upon.

I realize many of you don't know what I am talking about, I will explain after the announcement.

The State Board of Higher Education is expected to approve an addition to REA for BB and VB. The meeting is scheduled for Thursday followed by a press conference at UND.

There has been a lot of debate about how many seats the venue should have. Apparently, they have decided on 3,600. Initially, they were talking about 3,200. While there is no point in making it too big, I wish they would have settled for 4,000. The Athletic Department's hopes to increase BB season tickets holders from 1,800 to 3,000 in the next few years. If they are successful (that will be a challenge) there isn't much room left for students and walk-up fans.

This should help UND's recruiting tremendously. I beleive that construction will start very soon and they hope to have it ready to go by the fall of '04.

I don't know how to attach the article but check out today's GF Herald.

No State funding will be utilized for the addition (any new construction needs to be approved by the Higher Education Board even if it State funds aren't involved.)

After the announcement, I may have more insight into the details.

Who said no funding was in place? I simply said that no tax $ would be needed! The Board isn't going to approval any new building with out knowing exactly how UND plans to pay for it! Obviously, this will be a part of tomorrow's presentation to the Board. I simply can't give you the details - I don't know them! I know what the options were but I don't know what was decided upon. It is kind of nice to know that there were options (plural).

Whether Engelstad $ were utilized nor not, I do not know. They easily may have been but it would be REA $, not the original donation from Ralph. You need to remember that REA is a very profitable venture with excess funds to be used for the benefit of all UND athletics. REA was very involved in this decision and plans to do a great deal to market the new addition and UND basketball. Therefore, making REA even more profitable!

One thing that has stirred the pot a bit is the "home court issue." If what I heard is not correct, please disregard...

Is it true that when the hockey team is on the road, the teams will play in the main arena? How then can you build a sense of home court if you aren't even in the same building for all of your games? It's reasons like these that prompted Gene R. to publicly say that he didn't like playing in the REA, (although last years NDSU win might have changed his thoughts a bit...) and I don't blame him. It's like being on the road at home.

On another note... is this building going up to the north of the REA? (you know... the field where people park for hockey games?)

Here's the word from UND. Looks like the $7m cost will be covered by current athletics revenue sources and increased revenues from the new venue. Though vague, I assume this means REA revenue.

The men & women basketball teams will play in the main REA whenever possible.

Looks like 4000 seats in the new REA Sports Center.

The shrine to hockey is turning into a multi-sports complex. That will be great for the other sports, giving them the benefits of the largesse of REA, but will it dilute the benefits for hockey? How long before the basketball teams start wanting more basketball decorations in the main arena (since it is now their home, too)? Will putting basketball floors in and out regularly affect ice quality?

This whole thing is a head scratcher for me. If the main arena is to be the primary home for BB, why does the new facility have 4000 seats? And if the new facility has 4000 seats, why on earth would the basketball teams ever have to use the main arena (other than for the Bison games or regionals)?

REA has an agenda and I'm not so sure its primary aim is to benefit the basketball and volleyball programs at UND. Todd Berning is a very smart facility manager and he obviously sees an opportunity here.

With this new addition, the REA complex will be larger than the Alerus.

According to the release, groundbreaking is set for.....tomorrow. ;)

Pictures of the new facility

Knowing

- Coach Roebuck didn't like playing in the main arena

- the new one will hold 4000

- they (men and women) averaged less than that last year

- there are TV and radio capabilities in there

I'm beginning to wonder about this "main arena as home court" thing. We'll see.

About the only thing the place doesn't have is a weight room. I guess there's one near by. :D

And just for Bison_Kent:

No taxpayer dollars were harmed in the making of this facility. ;) ;)

Interesting that they are using a different architect. Or maybe its the same guy who's now with a different firm.

I believe that the architect slated to be at today's press conference was former Sioux football player Mike Kuntz. I also believe he worked for Shoen and Associates when the "new" REA was built. If anyone knows, chime in.

Speaking as an outsider here but why build this? It seems like a very big waste of money even if it isn'ttaxpayer money. It seems to me like that Hyslap (although old) gives UND the exact same facility.

I would think the money could better be used to make the new hockey arena basketball friendly. But just my thoughts. Really, I could careless but this looked interesting to me.

Bison_Kent,

UND needed a new basketball facility. It was the consensus of UND fans I know that the Hyslop was in worse condition than the Bison Sports Arena, which will be receiving a major renovation.

Does this quote raise any eyebrows for Sioux fans?:

Ralph Engelstad Arena management, the UND Athletic Department, the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) and the North Central Conference (NCC) have all agreed to work together toreduce scheduling conflicts between the UND hockey and basketball teams, clearing the way for all three teams to call the main arena their home venue.

I would think "eliminate" would be a better choice of words. If UND moves to DI in the future, would a DI conference be as accommodating as the NCC?

November and December could be very busy months for REA and REASC with all four sports possibly vying for the use of two floors (ice or wood, as the case may be ;) ).

I believe that the architect slated to be at today's press conference was former Sioux football player Mike Kuntz. I also believe he worked for Shoen and Associates when the "new" REA was built. If anyone knows, chime in.

Yes, Mike was with Schoen when REA was constructed. Anyway, for unknown reasons, there was an employee exodus from Schoen Assoc. after the REA was completed, (rumor says a conflict with promised $$ after REA completion) and Mike and others started Icon Architecture.

Through the construction of the "little Ralph" in TRF, I'm aware that things at Schoen have, well, "slipped a little." Therefore, IMO, they went with the experience of that original core group, and said ciao to Jim K. and his current staff. I wish Mike and his staff well, they're a good group to work with.

Does this quote raise any eyebrows for Sioux fans?

Scheduling shouldn't be a concern bisonguy, no matter what conference the other sports are in. Ohio State and Wisconsin seem to do alright, with the difference being that at both these schools, men's BB gets priority. I can't imagine that ever being the case at UND. In any event, if the Big 10 and the WCHA can get along, I don't see why the WCHA and whatever low-level D-I conference UND would probably be in couldn't as well.

Any conflicts would be in January-March, not November and December, as this is nonconference season for basketball and I believe one of the press releases stated that nonconference games would be primarily in the new arena. This leads me to my concern though - that the Sioux will continue to host a majority of their WCHA home schedule early in the season so as to ease scheduling pressure in January-March. I don't like that.

Also, I don't want REA to be a multi-sport arena. Its a hockey arena. I think the best news to come out of this is that no changes are being made to the main arena to make it more "basketball friendly", thereby reducing its allure as one of the finest hockey arenas in the country.

I'm still at a loss as to why this new facilty needs seating for 4K if its not the "home" of Sioux basketball. I'm inclined to agree with Sicatoka. Or maybe its wishful hoping.

lawkota,

I forgot Ohio State had BB and Hockey in the Schottenstein. I thought women's volleyball ran into the BB season, but it doesn't. The only scheduling problem might arise if REASC wanted to host the volleyball regional or elite eight, as they are held the last week of Nov. and first week of Dec. It could be done, I just wouldn't want to draw up the schedule.

• 4 months later...

Hey great pics! Thank you.

It's too bad I found this website only about a month ago, otherwise I could have told you along time ago that it was being built. Before I left in the middle of June for California, my last job as a surveyor assistant was to mark where the borings were supposed to go. (This was more for people to see how it would fit, the plans still needed approval from the Higher Ed Board).

I think its nice to see bball get a facelift. I also hope they don't play in the hockey rink to much. It is hard on the ice.

Thought of the Day: UND is more prepared (with facilities) for DI than the Bison. :D