SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 Recruiting Class

SiouxCrew11

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assistant coach Chris Johnson was on the coaches' show last night, and he said UND has five scholarships available for next season. He also said that they are only recruiting one juco player. Based upon his presence at many Sioux games this year, I assume that's Travis Mertens. Obviously we'll find out in about a month how things pan out, but he sounded quite optimistic about their chances of signing a very nice class.

Assistant coach Chris Johnson was on the coaches' show last night, and he said UND has five scholarships available for next season. He also said that they are only recruiting one juco player. Based upon his presence at many Sioux games this year, I assume that's Travis Mertens. Obviously we'll find out in about a month how things pan out, but he sounded quite optimistic about their chances of signing a very nice class.

Rumor is that NDSU is asking Travis to walk on..............that may change after the strong season Travis had (player of the year in the Mon-Dak) and the fact that you can be sure there were some college coaches at the LRSC vs. Indian Hills game on Tuesday. I don't know how he did Tuesday night but if he was any good at all, he could get more DI looks. If I was SU, I'd be on him hard. They graduate everyone after next season.

Rumor is that NDSU is asking Travis to walk on..............that may change after the strong season Travis had (player of the year in the Mon-Dak) and the fact that you can be sure there were some college coaches at the LRSC vs. Indian Hills game on Tuesday. I don't know how he did Tuesday night but if he was any good at all, he could get more DI looks. If I was SU, I'd be on him hard. They graduate everyone after next season.

I'd certainly like to think that considering how much time he's spent in GF this past season, he'd choose a scholarship at UND over a walk-on offer at NDSU (even with the promise of a scholarship in 2009-10), but I guess we'll see. Rumor also has it that UND has something--or perhaps more accurately someone--that could help to steer him here. :D

We'll it's good your not SU. Travis would be a great DII player but DI? Time will tell. DI bb is a whole different story.

We'll it's good your not SU. Travis would be a great DII player but DI? Time will tell. DI bb is a whole different story.

As your "golden class" found out this year. Travis can play at SU, no doubt about that. In fact, as weak as your bench was this year, he'd help right away if Saul wanted him to.

As your "golden class" found out this year. Travis can play at SU, no doubt about that. In fact, as weak as your bench was this year, he'd help right away if Saul wanted him to.

Doubt it. Say how's that DI und bb team going to be? Kind of hard to play DI teams next year with no DI players!

If Mertens was a 4, we would definitely offer him, but since he's a 3 he would see very little playing time. We've got Winkleman, Tvedt, Coleman, and Carlson who can all play that position, and Mertens would most likely be behind all of them. I think Travis would make a nice dII player though.

If Mertens was a 4, we would definitely offer him, but since he's a 3 he would see very little playing time. We've got Winkleman, Tvedt, Coleman, and Carlson who can all play that position, and Mertens would most likely be behind all of them. I think Travis would make a nice dII player though.

Just my opinion, but my understanding is that NDSU has just one available scholarship for next year, and they have a glaring need for a low-post scorer. So while true that Mertens' position probably precludes NDSU from offering him, I don't agree that he wouldn't play much there. NDSU simply didn't have an abundance of offense after their "big three", and Mertens could provide that--at least as much as Tveidt, and likely more than Coleman. I didn't see Carlson play in high school, so I can't comment on him.

For "Bison Dan", keep in mind that Brett Winkelman's final three were NDSU, UND and St. Cloud. By your logic, he may have been "just a dII player." :)

Just my opinion, but my understanding is that NDSU has just one available scholarship for next year, and they have a glaring need for a low-post scorer. So while true that Mertens' position probably precludes NDSU from offering him, I don't agree that he wouldn't play much there. NDSU simply didn't have an abundance of offense after their "big three", and Mertens could provide that--at least as much as Tveidt, and likely more than Coleman. I didn't see Carlson play in high school, so I can't comment on him.

I've watched a lot of NDSU games the last couple years. I think Mertens is certainly good enough to play for NDSU, but he plays the same position as Eric Carlson and Carlson has 4 years of eligibility. Carlson averaged over 25 ppg his last two seasons at Shakopee and made the all-state tournament team in MN as a sophomore. Carlson looked very good going head-to-head with Winkelman in scrimmages and he's adding substantial muscle. Carlson probably would have been a big contributor this year, but he made a decision to redshirt--the coaching staff left it to him. It seems that Mertens just comes at the wrong time and wrong position to be a good fit for NDSU. Again, I don't think it is a question about his ability. I think Mertens could be a huge get if the Sioux can land him.

For "Bison Dan", keep in mind that Brett Winkelman's final three were NDSU, UND and St. Cloud. By your logic, he may have been "just a dII player." :)

Absolutely true. None of NDSU's upper classmen were heavily recruited by D-1 teams. NDSU/Tim Miles hit the jackpot with the current junior class. Unfortunately, NDSU's success will likely make it just that much harder for UND to succeed quickly in D-1 men's basketball.

Travis can play at SU, no doubt about that. In fact, as weak as your bench was this year, he'd help right away if Saul wanted him to.

Yup, Mertens could play at SU, but I hope he plays for UND. :) I have to disagree with coach daddy about the weakness of the Bison bench. I think the Bison developed some depth as the season progressed. Tveidt, Coleman, and Pennick have outstanding athletic ability (Coleman and Pennick were slowed by injuries this year) and Carlson will contribute next year. I think that group, plus Sussenguth, stacks up well against the bench of other teams in the Summit League. The Sioux have a lot of catching up to do.

So because you feel that NDSU is deep at the 3 position, Mertens is no longer considered to be a Division I player? :)

I think there's a flaw in your argument '92,'96, assuming "logic" plays a role in BD's post. It's obviously all about spite while he's lurking here on SiouxSports, 24/7. :)

I think there's a flaw in your argument '92,'96, assuming "logic" plays a role in BD's post. It's obviously all about spite while he's lurking here on SiouxSports, 24/7. :)

My post was in reponse to coaches "great" comment about NDSU having a weak bench. If he considers our bench weak what the hell would UND's be?

My post was in reponse to coaches "great" comment about NDSU having a weak bench. If he considers our bench weak what the hell would UND's be?

No, your original "response" was to rip on Travis Mertens, a pretty good ND player, just because he's mentioned as a potential UND recruit. Weren't you breathlessly hoping he'd select NDSU when he finished high school or was it just all your brethren at Bisonville?

Bait and hate, pal, bait and hate; everyone sees it coming. Have you ever notice how many threads here just dry up after you drop by with your daily dose of sunshine?

Honest question here, why did Mertens end up and Lake Region in the first place? If he's as good as most say, you would think he would have ended up at a high level DII or a regional DI like the two SU's or UNI. From everything I've heard about him, the kid can play. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bison uniform, but like someone else mentioned earlier I don't think we have the scholarships available considering NDSU's need for a post player, he'd have to walk on and hope for one after year one. In any case, I hope he lands at a DI school, always nice to see ND kids play at the highest level.

Honest question here, why did Mertens end up and Lake Region in the first place? If he's as good as most say, you would think he would have ended up at a high level DII or a regional DI like the two SU's or UNI. From everything I've heard about him, the kid can play. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bison uniform, but like someone else mentioned earlier I don't think we have the scholarships available considering NDSU's need for a post player, he'd have to walk on and hope for one after year one. In any case, I hope he lands at a DI school, always nice to see ND kids play at the highest level.

Same reason Martinez from Bismarck is likely going to a JC. If it aint talent.....

Saul could redshirt him. When the golden boys are gone, you'll need more players regardless of position. He is mid-major DI player, trust me.

Saul could redshirt him. When the golden boys are gone, you'll need more players regardless of position. He is mid-major DI player, trust me.

Wouldn't und love to have one golden boy? By the way it would be a done deal with Mertens and NDSU if the Bison had a another scholarship. Still might get him as a walk on, well see.

Wouldn't und love to have one golden boy? By the way it would be a done deal with Mertens and NDSU if the Bison had a another scholarship. Still might get him as a walk on, well see.

UND would LOVE to have a class like NDSU has, we haven't had good basketball here in many years. No one invited you over here so we could rip your program, that's just a bonus for a goof like you coming over and trolling. That being said, you finished in the middle of the Summit, lost to Florida and Rutgers (didn't make Big East tourney, by the way). You have 2 awesome DI wins against Wisconsin and Marquette (UND is light years from pulling that off). Besides that, what have you done? And don't come back with, "More than you guys". That would make you a 7 year old.

UND would LOVE to have a class like NDSU has, we haven't had good basketball here in many years. No one invited you over here so we could rip your program, that's just a bonus for a goof like you coming over and trolling. That being said, you finished in the middle of the Summit, lost to Florida and Rutgers (didn't make Big East tourney, by the way). You have 2 awesome DI wins against Wisconsin and Marquette (UND is light years from pulling that off). Besides that, what have you done? And don't come back with, "More than you guys". That would make you a 7 year old.

What has NDSU done? I think NDSU had done about as good as DII school can when making the transition. The top Summit teams are way better then many think. I will say the team's win over a top 50 RPI ORU team is pretty good and there was a ton of improvement from November to March.

Some good news: Nick Haugen, the guard from Rockford, MN, who signed with us last fall, has had a very good senior season thus far. He is averaging about 20 points/game, went over 2,000 career points awhile back and is a finalist (one of 20 so far) for Mr. Basketball. He has led his team (28-2) to the upcoming State 2A tourney.

Lots of good things are being said about him. Depending where you look, he is listed anywhere between 6'1" and 6'3".