SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers, Saturday Night Game Thread

dagies

What I am failing to understand in all of this talking everyone wants to do now is how nobody seems to want to just put this all on the rivalry that is Sioux/Gopher Hockey. I mean, think about it. When was the last time a Sioux/Gopher game DIDN'T involve some sort of scuffle? Is either side innocent? HECK NO! Was Hakstol in the wrong, flipping the bird at Adam? Yes he was, he admitted as much. Was it necessary for Zajac to take down Anderson? Maybe, maybe not. We weren't there, we didn't hear what was said, we don't know what he saw/thought he saw. I don't have a problem with what he did, just as I don't have a problem with Lucia-pet Jr doing what he did. I am glad that we aren't going to be missing Finley in 2 weeks, although I would have LOVED to see him and Wheels throw down. Bottom line is, out of 8 points against MN, our boys got 5 of them. This past weekend is over and done with, so the boys better get ready for the next game/series.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a very close source it was Blake Wheeler who made a verbal statement to Joe Finley after they shook hands. It was a chicken sh** pot shot by Wheeler after getting thrown around like a rag doll by Big Joe in Grand Forks at the Ralph back in December. It was vintage Edina vs. Breck (oh yea, Wheeler was recruited by Breck after playing his entire youth career at Wayzata). I can tell you Wheeler would be mopped off the ice if Big Joe had a legitimate shot going toe-to-toe with him. Mazacco and Woog are such homeboys calling Finley out. Minnesota is a gut-less organization that gets the blessing of the WCHA brass every single season to host the Final Five and piss poor tournaments in the early season. This season is showing that if they had a first class, respected organization their "cake eating recruits" would stay beyond their freshman seasons (Kessel, Johnson, Okposo 1.5). North Dakota breeds success by welcoming their recruits into "the Fighting Sioux Family" for life and taking care and genuinely keeping track of every player that dons that jersey. Ask guys like Ginny Christian, John Noah how special it is to be a Fighting Sioux. The program honors and recognizes these Fighting Sioux Hockey alumni every chance they get. Ask guys like Oshie, Duncan, Finley and Chorney why they stayed at UND this season. They will tell you the brotherhood and honor of being a Fighting Sioux.

You reap the seeds you sow. Minnesota prides themself in marketing "Pride On Ice". They need to get some class and wishing they had what UND Fighting Sioux players have .. loyalty, respect, dignity and toughness.

very nice...........of course wheelers wuzzz azz said something. friday night he tried to be tough in front of his home crowd and then backe away and saturday was a joke. friken joke. 2 penalties and the worse one in OT swiping genoway :angry: then he runs back like a littlwe bizatch that he is. if there are any GM's out there im sure wayne would gladly trade puss boy to you for a bag of NEW pucks. pride on ice ;)

It was old school WCHA at the John. The Goofer faithful will complain about how mean we are and dirty and...CANADIAN. They will never stop complaining. They will be complaining in their overpriced suburban homes in April watching the Sioux on TV.

Re-watching all the video in slow motion here is my attempt at an unbiased opinion.

Second period scrum:

Peltier runs Trupp from behind on the sideboards. This shot was much more malicious than the CFB called on Duncan to start the game. Peltier then proceeds to work over Trupp while Trupp is on his back. Several Sioux skate to Trupp's aid, shortly followed by several Gophers. Malone tries to get Peltier to fight. Malone is thrown into the box by the AR. Fight disperses. Calls: Malone double minor for roughing and a 10 minute misconduct (for being 3rd man in and instigating), Peltier minor for roughing. Result: Gopher powerplay for 2 minutes with the Sioux bench shortened by three: Duncan, Malone and Radke. Minnesota without Peltier for two. What Calls should've been made: Sioux: Malone 5 minutes on a roughing major and 10 minute misconduct for 3rd man in. Gophers: Peltier 5 and a game for CFB, 2 minutes for roughing. Result would've been a 2 minute Sioux powerplay, Very short Sioux bench equal short benches for the third period.

It was old school WCHA at the John. The Goofer faithful will complain about how mean we are and dirty and...CANADIAN. They will never stop complaining. They will be complaining in their overpriced suburban homes in April watching the Sioux on TV.

Re-watching all the video in slow motion here is my attempt at an unbiased opinion.

Second period scrum:

Peltier runs Trupp from behind on the sideboards. This shot was much more malicious than the CFB called on Duncan to start the game. Peltier then proceeds to work over Trupp while Trupp is on his back. Several Sioux skate to Trupp's aid, shortly followed by several Gophers. Malone tries to get Peltier to fight. Malone is thrown into the box by the AR. Fight disperses. Calls: Malone double minor for roughing and a 10 minute misconduct (for being 3rd man in and instigating), Peltier minor for roughing. Result: Gopher powerplay for 2 minutes with the Sioux bench shortened by three: Duncan, Malone and Radke. Minnesota without Peltier for two. What Calls should've been made: Sioux: Malone 5 minutes on a roughing major and 10 minute misconduct for 3rd man in. Gophers: Peltier 5 and a game for CFB, 2 minutes for roughing. Result would've been a 2 minute Sioux powerplay, Very short Sioux bench equal short benches for the third period.

I agree with you totally on the Peltier/Trupp/Malone incident and this is the reason Hak got so pissed and gave the bird. Peltier cross-checks Trupp from behind into the boards and no penalty was called(keep in mind that Finley got one for cross-checking a Goofer into the boards as well as Duncan's play 7 seconds into the game in which Adam didn't hesitate to put his arm up). Trupp gets up and goes after Peltier who loses his helmet and manages to get on top of Trupp and starts throwing punches. Malone and Frattin come in to help out. Somehow out of that, the Gophers come out with a power-play. While I don't agree with Hak flipping the bird, I 100% agree and see why he was so pissed after that incident. Another case of fantastic reffing in the WCHA.

There are a ton of calls that could have been made throughout the game. going both ways. I could see your point of the play, I could also see what the refs called.

You feel you got screwed out of a power play, perhaps they made it up to you by not calling a bench minor on Hak for the finger, or calling intimidation on the Sioux player who stood over Gordon after Kaip's hooking.

And yes, there were Gopher calls that could have also been made, like an Elbow thrown by Bickel in the third.

I think in the end, despite the missed/bad calls, both teams were treated pretty evenly.

There are a ton of calls that could have been made throughout the game. going both ways. I could see your point of the play, I could also see what the refs called.

You feel you got screwed out of a power play, perhaps they made it up to you by not calling a bench minor on Hak for the finger, or calling intimidation on the Sioux player who stood over Gordon after Kaip's hooking.

And yes, there were Gopher calls that could have also been made, like an Elbow thrown by Bickel in the third.

I think in the end, despite the missed/bad calls, both teams were treated pretty evenly.

That seems to let Adam of the hook for a totally mismanaged game. You can point to this and that but the Sat. game was a result of the officiating or lack thereof--plain and simple.

When the officials fail to protect players, their teammates will. That is the nature of this game. . . .like it or not. The Sioux have always been known for having a strong "team" mentality and they showed it again this weekend. Am I promoting all the after the whistle stuff that the Sioux did? NO. Do I understand it? YES! Were the Sioux the ONLY ones playing that way? NO! Could the officials have prevented 99% of the cheap shots both ways? ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Second period scrum:

What Hakstol did was wrong, but what you say is correct, the gopher fans will and do say "dirty Canadian". Fill in any ethnic group after dirty, and tell me then how many gopher fans have class.

When the officials fail to protect players, their teammates will. That is the nature of this game. . . .like it or not. The Sioux have always been known for having a strong "team" mentality and they showed it again this weekend. Am I promoting all the after the whistle stuff that the Sioux did? NO. Do I understand it? YES! Were the Sioux the ONLY ones playing that way? NO! Could the officials have prevented 99% of the cheap shots both ways? ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Spot on!

the calls seemed to be pretty even all weekend, evenly crappy both ways.

That's why I think Adam's remaining employed with the WCHA as unfathomable. He is notorious for having a complete disregard for player safety.

Not saying that Malone was right in what he did, for he wasn't.

Adam is a disaster as an official. He's not only inconsistent and incompetent (like his peers in the WCHA), he's dangerous.

With all of the comments I have read here and other boards, I seriously wonder if we all watched the same games! If it's maroon or green colored glasses we wear, I think most of us can agree that the WCHA officiating is suspect

no doubt! there was a lot of things that both teams were doing that shouldve been called but they werent. both teams got away with things and there is no one to blame but the refs for letting it get the way it was. overall a great hockey weekend! i dont care that there wasnt many goals scored...games were played with emotion and neither team was going to back down from each other!

Think about this, Sioux have no fights vs Denver, CC, New Hampshire, BC, MSU, Northeastern, UMD, Michigan Tech, and Alaska Anchorage.

Sioux have fights vs Wisconsin, Minnesota and Mankato.

Now, with all due respect to Northeastern, UMD, Tech and AA, The other "fightless" teams are all highly skilled NCAA tournament-bound teams (UMD and Northeastern also have a legitimate shot).

Wisconsin, Minnesota and Mankato are all bubble teams who have bounced in and out of NCAA consideration.

So, we get into fights with the bubble teams, but we don't fight with the legitimate contenders...hmmmm...sounds like we ar ethe instigators doesn't it. MN and Wisconsin are very frustrated teams trying to win any way they can. This is unusual for both programs. This year, they are having to clutch and grab and try to fight to win dirty (again this is atypical of the programs). Sioux respond with whatever kind of hockey you throw at them. You want to run and gun, we can do that. You want to play cheap, we'll throw down.

Goofy.jpg >>We got one point last weekend!!! Hip Hip Hurray!!!

I don't see many goofy fans that are claiming a moral victory or taking solace in the one point...talk about spinning. Anyway, it is good to see some objective fans over here, they are lacking most other places on the net.

Anyway, it is good to see some objective fans over here, they are lacking most other places on the net.

I'm NOT objective. I'm a green glasses wearing, halo sporting Fighting Sioux hockey fan. I don't know what's being said on other college hockey forums. I don't troll that way! :angry:

crosscheckgoofy.jpg OH NO! IT'S BIG JOE!!!!

REDWING77 who cares if Chris writes an article about UND, one could make the argument that MSU-M is a bunch of classless hack and goons as well, its a blog, its his opinion he has that right, big hairy deal? Are you familiar with the first ammendment. So what! Are you going to lose sleep over it. I sure as hell will sleep tonight.

For the 100th time good for Zajac, what if Oshie didn't move and blew his knee out on the leg check? Season over for UND. That was a bush league move thank God Oshie saw it at the last moment. That is how Adam Calder got hurt his freshman season on a bush league leg check. People should be applauding Zajac for his actions. How do you know that Wheeler didn't start that move.

God, you are pathetic. It's always someone else's fault, isn't it? Here's our halo.........