SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers, Saturday Night Game Thread

dagies

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by starting this thread!

So what will happen tonite. This weekend was/is very important to both teams, but even more so to the gophers who need wins and league points for pairwise and WCHA playoff ramifications.

Had the Gophers managed to win last night I would expect a buzz saw tonite as they smell a chance to really make something of this weekend, plus some confidence that would come with winning a big game.

However, the late game melt continued for the gophers, and they were stymied on a few golden scoring opportunities in the 2nd and 3rd period, and eventually were dominated and lost the game in OT (was I the only one fearing the old "one team dominates and the other team scores on their only chance" scenario?).

Does this mean the gophers will come out with even more determination to win tonite? At what point do they begin to say there's little left to play for (at least in the WCHA standings) other than pride? Is it possible they come out without their absolute best effort tonite? They've lost the chance to sweep the Sioux and pick up all 4 points, and the boost that would give them in the standings.

I really don't know, but I can envision the possibility that tonite may not bring the gophers top effort. Pride will always be there, but will it be enough if they don't believe?

Did the Sioux learn a lesson through last night's game? Will they bring the last half-game effort into tonite and play that way from the start?

If the Sioux "do" and the gophers "don't" I say it's a 4-1 Sioux win.

If the Sioux "don't" and the gophers "do" I say it's a 3-1 gopher win.

I say 40% chance of #1, 20% chance of #2, and a 40% chance it's a normal Sioux-gopher game and anything goes.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no breakdown needed - pretty simple - the sioux will whoop them up tonight physically and the scoreboard - sioux sweep

as denny green would say - the gophers are who they are, they struggle to put 2-3 goals on the board per night. if they didnt have kangas playing well they would be losing by 3-4 goals per night instead of 1-2 per game. last night was their chance to upset the sioux and it didnt happen with thanks to the great play. they actually were playing for a tie

020108_Trupp.jpg

Getting an early jump on this thread ??? , but after watching last night I think UND will carry momentum and roll tonight. Agree with the Sioux "do" and Gophs "don't" scenerio. Duncan is way past due to light it up!

Does this mean the gophers will come out with even more determination to win tonite? At what point do they begin to say there's little left to play for (at least in the WCHA standings) other than pride? Is it possible they come out without their absolute best effort tonite? They've lost the chance to sweep the Sioux and pick up all 4 points, and the boost that would give them in the standings.

They may already be at that point, but I'm sure they're not giving up on the national picture and won't until March. They've probably re-focused their WCHA hopes to get into the Top 5, so they can have home-ice for the first round of the playoffs, but more importantly, to them and their program, they're trying to figure out what they need to do to make it into the national tournament, and that means they'll have to win games, and winning games against high-ranked teams, such as we are right now, is probably pretty important to them. So, I don't expect them to let up any tonight.

I'm more concerned though with our performance. We have to come out of the gates strong and play that way all night long. No more of this taking a period off. We may have gotten away with against UAA and last night against the Gophers, but once we start playing top contenders, that kind of performance will not get us very far.

If the Sioux win tonight, (I think they will) and Michigan loses or ties, UND should move up to #2 in the polls and put a damper on all the hype of #1 v. #2 when Michigan and Miami play next weekend. That would keep the hat sizes in the CCHA from getting any bigger.

maybe could happen but those polls dont mean a thing compared to the pairwise rankings.....thats the poll that matters and we are tied for 5th with unh right now which is great. keep moving up!!

I'm going with 6-2 for the Sioux, maybe worse if Frazee starts. Oshie and Duncan light it up so Dubay can finally say "see I told you they are a one line team." and it will atleast look that way on the score sheet. They might as well light it up tonight since in the last three games they have scored what a whopping 2 or 3 points combined. F**K THE GOPHERS.... CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP F**K THE GOPHERS

lets continue the streak to 9 games then the fsn pre and post game crew and say the sioux still havent played anyone good during their streak, another win vs another crappy team :(

lets beat the golden creampuffs, hit them hard and light the lamp

Sioux keys to the game:

1. Strong forecheck. Show 'em their face in the glass!

2. Pucks on net. Good things happen when you TAKE THE SHOT!!

3. Win the faceoffs, control the game.

4. Jean Phillipe

GO SIOUX!!! :(

Especially on the PP!!! Why have a PP if you're not going to get any shots off? Quit looking for the sure thing and FIRE THAT BISCUIT!!!

I think expecting another low-scoring game is sort of wishful thinking. The Gophers will be angry, and probably start to show some of the desperation that is missing from their play. They'll take a lot of shots and a lot of chances. I hope JPL is up to the challenge.

Because of the real lack of experience the Gophs have at defense, their chance-taking will create a lot of opportunities for the Sioux. I expect we'll see lots of odd-man rushes. If our shooters can be more accurate, this game might well be a very high-scoring one.

My biggest question about this game will be answered quickly: which Sioux team will come out of the blocks? The uninspired, can't-hit-a-pass team that luckily beat Anchorage last Saturday, and showed up again in the first last night? Or the team that took over the game shortly after the start of the second Friday.

Regardless, really; are there more gut-wrenching match-ups than UND/UMTC games? Every pass, every possession just seems so critical when these two teams play.