SiouxSports.com Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Outside of the national championship with Hak's team in year one, what's better about the UND hockey program now than it was under Hak? Not a single thing. Everything has regressed.
  3. Parise scored in his first NHL game, and tonight he gets a goal in his last regular season game. The guy is one of a kind. 20 years ago last week, just after the Hobey Baker ceremony (where once again a UMD player won it over a more-deserving UND player), Zach was at his classiest and he never showed disappointment. My kids (12 and 10 at the time) just wanted a picture with him, and all three of them are beaming. One of my favorite Parise moments. Thanks for all the memories.
  4. ... and the student-athlete still has his/her scholarship and a spot with the college and the program to which he or she committed, correct? Speaking of commitment, how long before NLIs are declared null and void, and coaches can start prep for a season or a contest with a weekly Monday morning head count?
  5. And a coach will sit down in a kids living room, look him and his parents in the eyes, and tell him he has no interest in taking any other jobs... then accept a new job the next day. Integrity, honesty, blah blah blah....
  6. Any insights into how this goes down? A coach sits across from a player they have spent two years supporting and developing in their academic and athletic life. Kid says everything is fine one day and the next the coach sees them in the portal? So the kid was lying and plotting the whole time for a bag of silver. One injury, or they don't meet expectations, and that new school, which sees them as a piece of meat, will throw them on the scrap heap and have a new bag for the next one on the list. Integrity, honesty, friendships, gone for a bag of silver that will be gone in a year.
  7. I try to provide a historical perspective when I feel people are overreacting. I hope the overreactions at this time next season are how many titles in a row will UND win.
  8. Things got so “awful”, in fact, that Denver had to fire a revered head coach to get their ship turned back around. Hope it doesn’t need to come to that around here.
  9. Development coach for the Maple Leafs and Marlies.
  10. I get the perspective, and likely agree more than I disagree. All things equal, I think a change is necessary to start the upswing and now’s the time. Curious what you’re suggesting exactly? I personally believe it’s also clear that all those programs I mentioned are in much better shape than they were before making the coaching change, but we can split hairs on whether being a NC runner-up the last two years (BC and UMN) and multiple FF’s (Mich) is success or your point implying it’s not…when comparing to UNDs ongoing struggles. Regardless, appreciate the perspective and attempt to calm the overreactions and hope this debate is old history come this time next year.
  11. I don't believe anyone was suggesting that UND should do nothing and simply wait for another championship. I also don't believe that UND is sitting on its hands waiting for the clock to strike 12 again. However, some historical perspective is necessary with a certain portion of our fanbase at the moment. Particularly those that point out Denver's current run as if that is what they've been doing for 75 years. They have not (and I did not even mention in my original post DU's 35-year wander through the desert before pulling a miracle in 2004). I'd also challenge you on your assertion that there are "just as many" historical programs that fade into history and don't bounce back. Historically, that is untrue. The only programs that would come close to having faded away and not bounced back (at least, in my opinion) are LSSU and Maine. LSSU had one decade of greatness, and I would not consider them to be a "historical program." Maine gets closer to that status (about a 2 decade run of greatness, with two titles). But Maine has also now made significant investments in its program and finally made the tournament again. We will see how their program responds here in the next few seasons. Regardless, what makes a "historical program" is their ability to compete consistently over the course of time. Almost by definition, they do not "fade into history." I'd also point out that BC (York), Minnesota (Lucia), and Michigan (Berenson), have won a grand total of 0 National Championships since departing with their legendary coaches. You could throw BU (Parker) in that mix as well.
  12. The problem is the courts are blocking any chance they have of doing that. They have had ever major ruling go against them. Regardless of what they've done or not done in the past, it is basically our of their hands at this point.
  13. Thank you for pulling together the history lesson. Certainly interesting and helpful to add some historical perspective when it’s easy to just dwell on the recent past. The only thing I worry about is the (perceived) mentality from some that past success/cycles indicate future success. There are just as many historical programs that fade into history and don’t bounce back. Simply waiting for the cycle to work its way out or expecting we’ll just stay at the top because we always have been is a recipe for fading out of relevance. Holding for Sears and Blockbuster on line 1. Programs generally have a catalyst that helps lead the cyclical upswing - new coach being one often talked about here (not saying I agree or it’s the only one). It obviously wasn’t easy to part with York, Lucia, Berenson, etc. but we’ve seen how that’s reinvigorated those programs. Every other program is fighting for every possible advantage, if UND doesn’t fight just as hard, possibly make some tough decisions, and be willing to deeply reflect on what needs to change in the postseason, what’s happened before may not matter…
  14. Ncaa are 10-15 years late to the party. Now to fix is legislation and they are scared $hitle$$ to do anything.
  15. I'll bet Hennessy will have fun trying to pronounce that name!
  16. Well yah they were based on an amateur model. At this point the NCAA has no power whatsoever. They are just along for the ride when it comes to D1. The SEC and Big 10 are calling the shots behind the scenes.
  17. Yesterday
  18. They fought any payment to players and loaded on money. Only the very big school maintain in this insane situation. Follow the money.
  19. How would this situation be the NCAA's fault?
  20. They stayed in Arizona longer than I thought they would
  21. Didn’t realize he was a former player
  1. Load more activity